Yahoo! Inc. Employee Reviews

A Fun and Well Paid Helpdesk
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha NEDecember 20, 2013
The culture of Yahoo! is amazing, the environment is highly tailored to the geek chic, with colorful interiors, fun and engaging co-workers, annual events, and a focus on the individual. Pay is amazing at Yahoo! Small Business for the work done. That said it is a call center which means that the work can be non-stop and there are tight metrics to be held to in regards to average length of call, and customer satisfaction. Performance is bonus driven, and bonuses are generous for quality work.
Pros
Fun Work Environment, Quarterly Bonuses, Well Paid
Cons
Clockwatching, Tight Metrics, Micromanagement.
Productive and professional environment
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAFebruary 1, 2014
A typical day at work is your behind the desk, checking any issues involving email portals and answering phones from customer who needs assistance. I have learned a a glimpse of what the systems in Yahoo emails, a very complex organization, but it works. I barely see the management, they were in close net group, and was never curious on the progress of employees. The hardest part was that you felt just a number, like you were a robot doing the work and go home. There was never interaction, and group functions, it was all in your cube environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was just being able to have a job at Yahoo!.
Pros
If you need help, people around will help you out.
Cons
Short breaks, and no awards for progress of achievements
Productive and extremely busy workplace.
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Sherman, TXJuly 12, 2013
During the seasonal position I worked, it was busy and exhausting, but was also a calm environment. I learned how to use UPS Worldship to print labels, how to weigh and pack items up, and also how the company runs. Management was well organized and eve helped with what was needed. The co-workers were rather friendly towards me, helping me when I asked. The hardest part of the job would be locating the items scattered about in the freezers. I mainly enjoyed typing on the computer and being responsible for printing the labels.
Pros
Nice lunches and break times, able to listen to music as I worked, my work space was very open and relaxing
Cons
Employees were all over the place running back and forth, some were rather obnoxious or not doing as told to
Productive and fun place with foosball tables
Executive Assistant, Special Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 16, 2012
My tenure at Yahoo! was awesome, it was rewarding and wonderful, coming from Disney it was such a culture clash it took a while to get used to...but once I did it was like buckle up, and enjoy the ride! The best part of the ride was the ability to take advantage of the autonomy and carve out your own niche to help the team. There was always someone who needed my help. The hardest part was obviously prioritizing and the most enjoyable part was also helping people get their work done, knowing that my purpose was to help others and to make their experience at Yahoo! a good one and to make their day run a little smoother.
Pros
a surplus of autonomy, feels like the wild west for creativity (that's a good thing)
Cons
lack of structure, ideas get bogged down in bureauracracy
Industry leader in online entertainment coverage
General Manager, Movies and Kids (Former Employee) –  Santa MonicaSeptember 3, 2013
Pioneered relationships between the movie studios and the internet portal, leading the way in creating new editorial and marketing experiences for audiences and advertisers, strategies now copied and considered standard across the internet medium.
My purview stretched across all areas including editorial, marketing, sales, pr and video production.
As a traditional Silicon Valley tech company burdened by perpetual executive turn over at the highest level, there was reluctance to embrace the inherent sexiness and differentiating business prospects of being a leading destination and partner in the Entertainment space.
As a result, however, I did benefit from much autonomy to grow not just the presence of the movie industry online but also to push the boundaries of my own role which kept my experience fresh and exciting.
Lots of smart people
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAFebruary 29, 2016
7 years at Yahoo, met so many smart people that kept my desire to learn more going. Spent all my time writing software and automating complex processes.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
lots of bad press from investors.
Slow paced with not much advancement
Research Manager (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CASeptember 25, 2012
Good work/life balance.
Good overall work environment but, it is not that much fun.
Management is not very aggressive
Did not have any opportunities to move around. I was only there for a short time but, I saw that people who had been there a while were basically stuck in that role for a long time.
Churn and burn
Manager Procurement (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAFebruary 27, 2015
Working 24/7 wasn't enough. Their quarterly goals will burn you up and spit you out...and then they'll just hire a fresh person that knows nothing for you to train them so they can take your job. I enjoyed my role here tremendously, but departmental cuts kept whittling down my staff and pretty soon I only had the outsourced team.
Pros
free food, although selection has pared down, free phone, people are nice, your skills are used
Cons
no work life balance, the feeling you are only a number, outsourced too much
This job gave me boundless curiosity about the world and i firmly believe that you can never have too much information about anything
New Media Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 5, 2013
I loved the opportunities that Yahoo Geo cities Sales job gave me to engage with new people and to learn about what they did, how they did it, what they enjoyed, what caused them pain and whether or not I could help them out.

Of course, I also loved being paid to satisfy my curiosity!
Pros
true a-type personality, it was to be the thrill of the chase and of course helping my clients solve un/foreseen problem.
Cons
Struggling giant with great benefits
Sr. Technical (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJuly 23, 2014
I have worked with some of the nicest and smartest people in the industry at Yahoo. Unfortunately, the company is struggling to engineer a workaround and work/life balance, job security and advancement opportunities all take a backseat.
Productive, fun, casual, exciting place to work
Executive Assistant to the SVP (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAAugust 23, 2014
A typical day is very busy -- my job would require engaging in calendar management, executive scheduling, travel arrangements, helping employees with meeting schedules, conference rooms, expense reports, social events and day-to-day operations. The hardest part of the job would be to juggle the large amount of work and e-mails. The most enjoyable part was the people, my executive and my co-workers -- we worked hard and played hard!
Pros
Free coffee bars & drinks, large variety of food for a small price, accessibility to VIP clients, events and music
Cons
Large work load
It was a steady job
Security Supervisor- Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 12, 2015
It was a steady job. Security is the kind of job that will pay the bills, but has no real future.
It was interesting, working behind the scenes at a busy business park. I learned a lot about fire alarm equipment and access issues.
Pros
understanding how office complexes operate
Cons
Sometimes having to work double shifts, when your relief called off. The negative public perception of security personnel is discouraging..
Fun Times working at Yahoo!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJanuary 27, 2014
Working for Yahoo! during this time was such an honor and an experience I will never forget. I didn't stay with Yahoo! because I wanted to get back into my recruiting career. I struggled with that because I did learn a lot about customer service and how Yahoo! cares about their employees. They let them thrive with their own ideas and gave tremendous support to their customers and employee's. Not to mention they had fun recognition parties letting their employee's know that they appreciate and recognize how hard they work.
Pleased with the freedom to write what you want about your team
Sports Contributor (Current Employee) –  New YorkFebruary 10, 2014
I do not work in an office but online. I submit articles as often as possible on the Knicks and Jets. The hardest part is formulating ideas into something that hasn't already been produced by other journalism platforms. Also, not having access to quotes unless taking them from somewhere else is difficult. Management is helpful anytime something is needed and answer your inquiries within an acceptable amount of time. I thoroughly enjoy being able to display my opinion on a platform with the potential for it to be read by many.
Fun place to work!
Graphic Design/ Photo Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 15, 2016
Amazing environment to work in. My manager is superb and very friendly. Unfortunately the company isn't doing so well.
Horrible middle managers
Editorial (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2012
The team in NYC is great, very supportive and we found the time to get to know each other outside of work. Problem is the company thinks the media capital of the world is Santa Monica leaving the folks in NYC with the mentality that it’s a bureau/satellite office not taking into account that this is the media capital of the world. Communication between the folks on the west coast and east coast is horrible. West coast managers have no concept of the three hour time zone difference and expect the NY folks to be always available even when its dinner time or time for sleep. With all the layoffs, lack of direction in the company as a whole and inept middle managers that openly talk negatively about other employees I would suggest people to go someplace else that respects you, it’s well worth it. There are plenty of other companies in NYC to find that will treat you right.
Pros
small team in nyc leads to a friendly atmosphere
Cons
middle manager buffoons that have lack of experience, no direction from upper management, middle managers do blame game and don't take responsibility for their actions
Fun place , ping pong table gym, free food
Service Engineer, Content and platform team (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAFebruary 1, 2015
Yahoo! would be a much better company, if it was real diverse. diversity does not mean only moving people from India. This over exceeding move now are going to cause problems for the company. diversity should have a fare distribution.
Pros
Free food and fruits . gym
Cons
Yahoo HQ is now full of people moved from Banglore India (more them %60, I guess). the problem is those people are on L1 and H1 visa and need to keep job for any price. so, you will see Information hiding culture. and many politics and a sorta Mafia in teams.
Good company to start
Database Developer Intern, Yahoo Shopping (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CASeptember 27, 2015
It's a good company to start the career. Lots of freebies. However, the morale is quite low since the company used to be No.1 in social media. It's feeling like a falling ship.
A good learning experience, but a lot of uncertainty
Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORMarch 8, 2012
Interesting culture, lots of technology, but slow to identify with and respond to the evolving needs and interests of consumers due to lack of innovative leadership and corporate bureaucracy.
Pros
tech culture, name recognition, amazing scale
Cons
constant re-orgs, shifting priorities, low morale, layoff cycles, silo management
sweatshop that pays
Sr. Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale HQOctober 30, 2014
with free food all day, gym, phones, and mac laptops it's generous.

quality of food decreased during my tenure

BUT

they expect you to work 10+ hours a day with virtually no chance to advance. They eliminated QA so we had to do everything. They play games like only SEs have root, to eliminating SEs, and then you do all the work. Managed by asshats for the most part. They are super smart but still don't get it. Too many incompetent people.

They did pretty much let me code what I wanted except for some ridiculous "we don't use python". force me to write in shell. silly

people actually wait in line to get Marissa's autograph. Imagine chinese and indian families lined up to get her autorgraph. too funny
Pros
food, pay, macs
Cons
sweatshop, idiots

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Yahoo! Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.