Yale University Employee Reviews

Great place to learn
Postgraduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 17, 2018
Collaborative environment where you get a chance to grow and learn from experienced scientists. Most of my work was reviewing clinical information for research projects so I spent the day analyzing databases.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Low salary
good benefits, bad management
Sr. Administrtative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 17, 2018
The benefits are good, but as every union contract is updated, they get worse. Free health insurance and a percent of children's college tuition reimbursement after 7 years is the only reason I stay in this job. Upper management in most departments seems to turn a blind eye in regards to toxic work environments and bullying. Salary is lower than in private sector but the benefits do make up for it. The union is strong and helpful.
Your work experience depends on your management
Release of Information Representative (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 16, 2018
To many bullies in upper management who mistreat staff and are allowed to get away with it. If you are able to take mistreatment and disrespect its an awesome place to work
Great Place to work
YSS Financial Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 16, 2018
Working at Yale is Great! I wish I was an employee instead of a temporary worker.

The people are nice to work with and management and the team is very family orientated.
Yale is excelent
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 16, 2018
I am an graduate student at Yale. I got my master degree and Phd candidate there. I got very good learning environment at Yale. It is an excellent place to be a graduate student.
Great place.
Postdoctoral Associate (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 13, 2018
Did research for about 7 years here.

Pros:

Intellectually stimulating
Culturally diverse
Brand value

Cons:
Managers can be a hit or miss
New Haven can be boring after 1-2 years.
Poor pay but good place to work
Medical ICU RN (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 11, 2018
ICU- very very busy day, Usually got a break 8-9 hours after working, so I could eat lunch around 3pm.

Pay was very poor.

Management very sweet and kind
great place
Associate Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 9, 2018
great place to work. great place to meet great minds and interact witht them. lots of opportunites to learn and to advance. would have stay there longer but had to relocate
Pros
everything
Excellent
Associate Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 1, 2018
Excellent and competitive.

Very good teaching faculty.

Nice campus: East Rock Park, Orange Street, Prospect Street...Nice and active living area for students
Ever changing IT enviroment
Sr. Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 15, 2017
Having spent over 20 years at Yale, its IT professionals are counted on to provide excellent service. The trend of custom Yale applications has been nearly completely replaced the the use of industry enterprise COT software.
n/a
PROGRAM MANGER (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 15, 2017
Office environment, departments work as silos. Schools are not aligned, and do not know what other schools are working on. Office environment, with about 20% meetings off site, recruitment and other networking opportunities were available.
Great Team Work
Help Desk Support (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 7, 2017
Most days were spent building machines for new staff or faculty. Most of the busy time was when the school year started and before & after long breaks. The community was diverse and the Department team worked together to solve many issues that came up. We had great chemistry and fed off each other's drive to give our User's the best care in the most timely fashion.
Pros
Freindly users who were somewhat tech savvy
Cons
work was slower during the long holidays and breaks
Yale University
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 6, 2017
Thought it was a well run organization. I was in the Conference and Events Department. It was ran VERY smoothly. Fast paced environment, and the guest expected a lot from us.
Pros
Free Lunches, Co-workers, Yale is a really cool place
Cons
More responsibility
Politics at Yale
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 22, 2017
Politics play a huge role in your future at Yale. It does not matter how many years of experience you have or if your qualified and perform to the best of your capability, politics will move you right out of your position.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Politics, Politics, Politics!
Bureaucracy
Researcher (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CT,November 21, 2017
They already know who they want to keep before your probation period is over. If you are with the Union then you can never be let go and you apparently don't have to work hard. They have certain"types"of people that they want to work there. If you have a family member that works there then they will keep you. It's a fast-paced environmet with very little room for advancement.
Benefits
Cons
Bureaucracy
Good organization
Research Aide (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 17, 2017
Enjoyed working there, great benefits good people. I am currently laid off otherwise I would still be there. The program I worked for was working with the community which I love.
Great Place to work
Logistic Operation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 16, 2017
Yale is a great to place to work, but has very little career advancement for hourly workers. Switching to a managers role, would cause you to lose out on money.
Be the Brand
Area Manager of Facilities (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 14, 2017
Being the best University in the Country is a PR nightmare and a lot of energy is spent covering up things to protect the reputation. The union gets away with a lot because no one wants to deal with bad press.
Pros
Lot's of prominent visitors and activities in the area
Cons
Does not treat management as well as would be expected.
Goalkeeper Coach (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 6, 2017
Department I work in is very friendly and relaxed but always have the competitive nature to get better and win more. Always there if you need help or have a question. Full support of the AD and other sports.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
Not many females on staff
inept bureaucracy at all time high
Systems Analyst Lead (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 3, 2017
nobody works hard. everyone is miserable. you are spoken to as a child. If you can get a union job you are golden. non-union don't apply. Various types of unmanged enterprise applications that are not used to full capacity.