Yale University Employee Reviews

Excellent benefits but some departments aren't so great
Senior Administrator (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 29, 2016
I have found that my experience at Yale is vastly different to other employees outside of my specific department. Almost everyone else I meet absolutely LOVES working here. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people.
There is no room for advancement in my department. Management is awful...lots of blame placing and very little accountability for actions. Tons of micro-management leading to mistrust and miserably low morale.
Too much bureaucracy in all of our processes. Way too many steps creating way too much room for error.
My direct co-workers are fantastic but there are other very cliquey and toxic circles in the entire department.
The hardest part of my job is getting direct and accurate answers to my questions. My training was very convoluted and ever-changing.
The most enjoyable part of my job is time off and weekends.
Pros
Reputation, Excellent Benefits
Cons
Mind numbingly unrewarding work, constantly having to do the job of others due to their inadequacy
Great Place, great people good company
Sr. Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 24, 2017
Excellent place to work. very supportive people and very good management group.employee benefits also very good. career growth also very good as always more opportunities to explore on different tasks.
Fun place to work
Dining Hall Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 24, 2017
Working at Yale University is great. I love the people and the management at the different dining halls. I joke around with my coworkers and it is a fun environment. Since we have a fun time on the job doing while we are doing our jobs. The hard part about the dining halls is that I don't get enough work. When getting the position I was expecting it to be steady work, it turned out to be that it was only a casual placement. You then must work 390 hours to bid on full-time. It is kind of hard to manage with having Stop and Shop. I just do not want to give up my health care right now that I get. So I will have to have it worked around my hours somehow.
Pros
friendly environment, great dining halls
Cons
casual job, no health care
Great intellectual environment
Research Associate II (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 5, 2016
Being at Yale has afforded me many opportunities to meet and work with some of the best minds, and it is truly inspiring. Organizationally, work is flexible and you are encouraged to have a healthy work/life balance. Health benefits are amazing.
Pros
Health benefits, proximity to great restaurants, cool events
Cons
Average salary, no paid parental leave policies
Management Professional (Former Employee) –  New HavenAugust 16, 2016
Excellent continuous learning culture. Some of the most intelligent people I have ever worked with. The health benefits and retirement benefits are outstanding.
Pros
The people you have the opportunity to meet and work with.
Cons
Diversity
Love what I do and like all my coworkers especially my collaborating MD
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 22, 2016
I work in a busy outpatient oncology clinic - we see mostly GI cancers, the majority have colorectal, pancreatic and esophageal cancer. Most are getting treatment, whether adjuvant or palliative. We see urgent visits in addition to treatment and followup visits. The days are never boring, and I learn something new every day. We also participate in clinical trials. The hardest part of the job is watching those with metastatic disease decline. The most enjoyable part of the job is telling a patient that their imaging was good and we will see them in 3, 6 or 12 months!

The only negative about my current position is the management, which is very topheavy (seems like there are 2 managers for every worker!) and their lack of interest in listening to those who work in the trenches every day.
Pros
awesome coworkers, great learning environment
Cons
long hours (salaried position)
excellent institution with competitive benefits
Mental health consultant (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, Waterbury, HamdenAugust 19, 2016
Yale University is an excellent institution to work for with a comprehensive benefits package. The project supervisor has excellent management skills. Everyone on the team at juvenile works well together.
Pros
Solid team
Cons
Travelling to detention sites as far as Waterbury and Hartford
Not a happy environment to work in.
Account Assistant 2 (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 15, 2016
Your held back if your a worker and others are promoted while bullying the workers. Management/Human Resources turns the other way instead of using corrective action. Instead of bringing people together they create a divide amongst other employees. This is in one department.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Not a good environment to work in/bullying
Pay and learning experiences were good, communication and management was terrible
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTJanuary 30, 2017
I earned a good amount of money and learned a great deal in many fields. However communicating about compensation and getting that all set up was not the best experience.
Pros
Pay, learning opportunities, variety
Cons
Communication
Wonderful traditionally steeped in tradition.
Portfolio Manager (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 3, 2016
Poor work life balance. Little input into your career path. For the most there are no career paths. If you are good at your job, they will try to keep you there avoiding any potential growth or promotions for you.
Pros
It's Yale and you can experience an everything an organization of that stature has to offer.
Cons
Lots of silos, very cut throat as there have been several layoffs recently.
Personally I enjoyed working for Yale University. I found it to be an equal oppoprotunity employer.
Custodian Worker (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 22, 2016
Excellent place to work with great benefits. I work for Yale University three differs tours and would work there again.
Pros
Free lunch in Dining Halls
Cons
Fast past can be exausting
Educational research environment
Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 24, 2017
On most days workload was acceptable.
Work environment was safe.
Repetative movements involced in work.
Co-workers and Management behavior made for negative environment
Great Hospital to work for!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 14, 2016
I worked in a busy fast paced environment, answering phones and involved with handling multiple schedules for our Doctors and appointments for our patients. I learned to be more organized and proficient in various tasks. My co-workers were professional team players who assisted me when needed. The hardest part of my job was not being able to squeeze patients into an already full clinic. My Doctors demonstrated quality time with their patients and did not want to overbook them in order to give them the time and attention they needed. The most enjoyable part of my job was feeling as if I made a difference in the patient's care and would often get rewarded by their appreciative, grateful spirit!
Pros
Proficient and well organized enviornment
Cons
Billing issues for patients
Yale University
Yale Summer School of Music and Art (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, CTNovember 21, 2016
Great place to work, great benefits, great compensation. Yale has very possibly the best union in the country to work for
I worked in a very fast paced environment, very busy and a promising career, it's also a productive environment.
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 4, 2017
I liked working at Yale University, the people were friendly and easy to get along with, good positive energy. I wish I can get back into this company,
Pros
I recommend anyone to work at Yale University, the environment and the people are excellent, I had no regrets working there, I would love to work there again.
Cons
There would be days where there would be less work.
Big research university
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 31, 2016
Opportunities to learn from top researchers in almost any scientific field. Great university town with great cultural opportunities.
Pros
World class reputation
Cons
poor pay & benefits
Great Benefits
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 4, 2016
Great place to work many opportunities to grow.
It's so many different Departments you can work for Bid and transfer.
the benefits package is great , has great retirement plan.
Yale has a lot of program that will benefit you.
An amazing place to work
Clinical Nurse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 17, 2017
It was amazing to work with this internationally renowned group, and be a part of their ground breaking research on Tourette Syndrome and Obsessive Compulsive disorder. To be a part of patient evaluations with this group was truly amazing.
Pros
very intellectually stimulating, I learned a lot about these disorders and the research process
Cons
Intense work environment. Pressure to produce publications
Nice
Workday Consultant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 6, 2016
It was really nice working there
people there are very friendly
I learned a lot while working there
Co-Workers are pretty freindly
I enjoy each and every moment
Management is very good
There was no typical day at work
productive and room for growth
Animal Technician III (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTFebruary 19, 2017
Great work atmosphere
Very rewarding
Positive atmosphere
Room for growth
I have learned a ton since getting involved here
I have grown to love the laboratory experience with the animals
Working on furthering my certifications

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Yale University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3