Yale University Employee Reviews in United States

Ivy league university
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 23, 2015
Yale offers great benefits and opportunities for learning and advancement, but as with any large entity, each school/department/section is has its own culture. The medical school is very fast paced while central campus closely follows the academic year cycle. My experience in both of those areas was rewarding and I received much support from my supervisors, faculty and peers. It's really about finding the right fit for you!
Pros
Great benefits and pay; opportunities for learning and advancement
Cons
There are many areas/schools/departments within the university...many are great, others are toxic.
Loved the students over the years.
Chef (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 16, 2016
As we called them in the kitchen 'family' (the kitchen help) I miss so very much. Each day we prepared different food items. A six month cycle of menus. We cooked for and treated the students as our own children.
Pros
Great benefits, treated fairly by management
Cons
As a Chef worked late nights, worked weekends
Comfortable and nice working environment with respectable staff
Film Study Center Circulation Receptionist (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 18, 2016
I work as a receptionist at the main circulation desk of the Film Study Center at Yale where I mainly check out films to clients, which consist of Yale students, faculty, and staff. The management is well organized and good to the staff. The staff is hard working and takes care of the space well. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to meet the people who work there and come there.
Great environment and great people
Animal Technician IV (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTFebruary 29, 2016
Yale University is a wonderful place to work, with wonderful people to work with. I am always learning new things, and there is a great deal of teamwork throughout our department. The benefits leave nothing to be desired, and the supervisors/managers treat me with patience and respect.
On an average day I would begin with doing my animal husbandry assignment, then move on to my area lead tasks. I have learned much from my time at Yale, teamwork, prioritizing responsibilities, and computer skills not being the least . My co-workers and I work well together, and foster an attitude of understanding and we work to achieve common goals.
The hardest part about my job is fitting the needs of everyone (i.e. the Primary Investigators, the post doctoral students, the managers/supervisors, and the business office) into one day in a timely, efficient manner. The challenge can be trying at times, but I find it interesting and it helps to keep me on my toes, and it has taught me how to be flexible.
Pros
Insurance Benefits and financial compenstion
Cons
I am essential staff, so sometimes it can be difficult to get there during incliment weather
Yale is a great place to work and learn from the best
ASSOCIATE RESEARCH SCIENTIST (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 24, 2016
This is my second appointment at Yale University and it has been a great learning experience working here. It gives me great pleasure to work with some of the best co-workers and Investigators who are pioneers in their respective fields. The most enjoyable part of m job is the freedom to propose novel ideas for research and to actually experiment with them. Yale also provides great health benefits for its employees and provides a conducive environment for research. I would highly recommend this place to any potential employees.
Pros
Health coverage
Love what I do and like all my coworkers especially my collaborating MD
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 22, 2016
I work in a busy outpatient oncology clinic - we see mostly GI cancers, the majority have colorectal, pancreatic and esophageal cancer. Most are getting treatment, whether adjuvant or palliative. We see urgent visits in addition to treatment and followup visits. The days are never boring, and I learn something new every day. We also participate in clinical trials. The hardest part of the job is watching those with metastatic disease decline. The most enjoyable part of the job is telling a patient that their imaging was good and we will see them in 3, 6 or 12 months!

The only negative about my current position is the management, which is very topheavy (seems like there are 2 managers for every worker!) and their lack of interest in listening to those who work in the trenches every day.
Pros
awesome coworkers, great learning environment
Cons
long hours (salaried position)
I have learned a great deal at Yale unfortunately the sign of the times took over.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 27, 2016
My position was a very busy one in the slide room. I would retrieve slides for cases pertaining to patients having surgery and on the table for comparison. I retrieved slides for Conferences and Tumor Boards. Filing was a major part of the position.

Interaction with other medical facilities to ask for Yale's material back when patient requested it to be sent out for a 2nd opinion. I would prepare the slides & send them Federal Express.

Also did transcription when department was very busy and covered the front desk when someone was out and or at break.
Lots of
Office Assistant II (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 27, 2016
A very busy work environment which made the day go by fast. Lots of data entry. Met lots of new people and new co-workers. Management was fair to everyone. I enjoyed the jobs I was trained to do and the longer I was there and achieved more experience made the job fun.
Pros
Met lots of people
Cons
short breaks
Great Place to Work.
Senior Administrative Assistant, HR (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 26, 2015
Great place to work with supportive management. Everyone is nice and helpful. They offer great benefits and plenty of learning tools so that employees may proper at becoming more successful.
Pros
Great Benefits
Great Benefits
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 29, 2016
Good Employer and Great Benefits. Room to grow and transfer to multiple departments to gain experience in other areas of University.
Great place to work with supportive management
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 14, 2015
I can honestly say without a doubt that I love my job. I have a wonderful, supportive manager who truly appreciates everything I do. We work together as a team to provide the best administrative support there is.

My position does allow for growth and development as my employer offers various free work-shops to advance yourself or to hone in on particular skills you wish to improve on.

I am more than satisfied with my current employer. Excellent place to be a part of!
Benefits
Senior messaging administrator (Former Employee) –  Newhaven CTMay 31, 2016
Support 2010, 365 exchange messaging systems.
Do a daily morning check of all systems
check for DMP Backup completions
Check for Corrupted Mailbox Database if failover then restore
Check message queues
Check CAs servers for active connections
Check content index issues and resolve
Resolve ticket via remedy queue
Pros
Working with good folks
Cons
In bad area of town, you have to pay for parking
Wonderful traditionally steeped in tradition.
Portfolio Manager (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 3, 2016
Poor work life balance. Little input into your career path. For the most there are no career paths. If you are good at your job, they will try to keep you there avoiding any potential growth or promotions for you.
Pros
It's Yale and you can experience an everything an organization of that stature has to offer.
Cons
Lots of silos, very cut throat as there have been several layoffs recently.
Not a happy environment to work in.
Account Assistant 2 (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 15, 2016
Your held back if your a worker and others are promoted while bullying the workers. Management/Human Resources turns the other way instead of using corrective action. Instead of bringing people together they create a divide amongst other employees. This is in one department.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Not a good environment to work in/bullying
Yale is a pretty good place to work if one can work in an ever changing environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 14, 2015
Yale is a great place to work if someone has to be flexible with work hours, Financial compensation is approximately 50% of pharmaceutical industry, but there a a lot of opportunities to learn new laboratory skills and a great learning environment if you make time to attend seminars.
Pros
work time flexibility, learning environment, good food
Cons
low wages, research funded on grant availability so job security is not concrete
Enjoyed working in Human Resources - My Sr. Representative was GREAT
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 31, 2015
Oversee and distribute workload to all clerical/technical staff
Work closely with two Senior Placement Representatives
Make travel arrangements and schedule meetings
Faxing, filing and photocopying documents as needed
Type and post medical school job openings for the university
Work with College Placement Offices for university graduates
Back up coverage of phones and creating letters of disciplinary and terminations
Ensure complete documents for new hires, promotions and demotions
Pros
The people I worked for was great individuals and very helpful needed
Research Assistant II
Research Assistant II, Department of Psychiatry (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 27, 2016
This position provided me with an excellent opportunity to develop my analytical skills and gain a strong understanding of research methods while doing my graduate work.
Nice place to work.
YSS Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 23, 2016
Yale University was a nice place to work. The environment was pleasant. Learned a new software. I worked there as a temp. Hope to be working there again in the future. They have very good benefits.
Good Company
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 12, 2016
Working for yale is great, the medical benefits are awesome, The HR stuff is very helpful. Each department is ran different to its needs. All in all in its a great company to work for.
Yale
Hematology Oncology Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 10, 2016
Great Company to work for. Amazing Clinical Research Program. However, CRC are over worked. Not a great work life balance.
Pros
benefitd
Cons
Not a great work life balance.

4.3