Yale University Employee Reviews

I didn't even want this job
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 15, 2015
I already had a job and was in school full time. I didn’t want this job. In fact, I didn’t even apply for it. Unbeknownst to me, one of my teachers submitted my resume for a position they had open. One day I got a phone call from someone at Yale asking me about my resume and when I could come in for an interview. I didn’t even know what he was talking about. This is probably the only time I went to an interview not even trying to get the job because I already had too much on my plate. About a month passed by after the interview and I figured I was in the clear from that job. Nope. They called me with a job offer and I begrudgingly took it.

Basically they hired me because they didn’t want to pay someone from Johnson Controls a lot more money to do the job. I had to learn how to use Johnson Control’s propriety software with no books, no user guides, phone numbers, or anything else that could be of any help. No one else working there knew how to use the program either. My job was to create real time graphics of the HVAC units in a lot of the buildings using their software. It had to collect readings from sensors located in various buildings throughout the campus for data like air flow rates, temperatures and etc. Just learning how to use their software was a daunting task in itself, but integrating it to collect data from various sources throughout the campus and depicting it graphically in real time put me at near wits end. I had no HVAC or graphics design experience.

In two years of near maddening trial and error I figured out how to do what they had wanted.
  more... You could click on a building and it would pull up a graphical depiction of what the HVAC system looked like in that building. I had toggle buttons to do things like turn fans off or close dampers. If the fan was on, it actually showed to be spinning on the screen. If you turned it off the fan stopped spinning. I also had boxes that displayed any available data from that unit in real time. If something went out of normal range a red alarm went off next to it to let you know. I cannot express in this review just how tedious and frustrating it was to learn how to do all that not knowing a single thing going in. I still to this day wonder if they use all those graphics that took me two years to create.  less
Pros
They were paying me $18/hour (this was back in 2001 or so), getting paid that much while living at home and having a second job
Cons
I never even applied for this job, I knew nothing about what they wanted me to do, parking, still having a second job, feeling used because they were too cheap to pay someone from Johnson Controls, going to school full time and having a second job meant no free time (did homework at school), only real reason I came home was to sleep, my mom said I would pass myself coming in as I was walking out the door, total burnout.
High level research facility with cutting edge technologies
Associate Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  New haven, CTAugust 6, 2013
A typical day at work includes a lot of multitasking since my position requires participation in several projects, supervising junior lab members and a senior lab manager responsibility. I learned how to effectively use my time, teach and supervise others, apply totally new methods into every day lab life and troubleshoot them. My management skills improved drastically since I have broad responsibilities to be sure everything works. For example, during a Christmas break I was able to restore failed incubators within 2 days without any valuable cells lost. Good working team in Pulmonary and Critical Care Branch helped me to arrange cells move to another facility, good relationship with Alert Scientific team allowed bringing a tech on the next day despite of being very busy. All this action was performed without any of my colleagues coming to work and interrupting their Christmas vacation time. All PIs were receiving updates on the situation and also did not have to be involved. The hardest part of work is to hear when another PI has to close the lab and lay off all personal because of insufficient or the lack of funding. The most enjoyable part is coming every day to work to be full of ideas, plan another experiment and being rewarded with good data that would help to understand and potentially cure certain disorders.
Pros
good research oportunity, healthcare, benefits
Cons
non secure job
Productive and fun workplace, gained a lot of experience
Clinical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 5, 2013
A typical workday would consist of checking phone and email messages for possible participants. Making follow-up phone calls and scheduling qualified subjects for appointment to take part in ongoing studies. Seeing participants with appointments and conducting procedures for studies. Some participants were also recruited from practice. Therefore, those participants varied on a day to day basis. Some workdays were also spent training or supervising interns. However, this was based on who was interning at the time. Supervision was given to students on protocols for studies that was being conducted.
The manangement team were very supportive. In fact, there were regular scheduled meetings that were conducted to assist with feedback and any other concerns for ongoing research as well as concerns with staff.
The hardest part of the job was not knowing exactly how each day would consist of. Due to the manner in which patients were recruited, schedules varied almost everyday. However, it made each day interesting. Most of all the job was enjoyable because I enjoyed meeting new people. Therefore each time a new intern was introduced that needed training, I found it very fulfilling to pass on some of the knowledge that I had gain.
The neurological department of Yale´s medical school had the need of a therapeutic Visual stimulus calibration tool and therapeutic visual stimulus ga
Senior .Net Developer (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 5, 2013
Responsibilities:

• Planning and estimation of the developing and deployment times.
• Involved in the production of the Architectural design
• Participated in the developing of Software and enhancements
• Participated in the research of the physical capabilities of displays and video cards.
• Use of WPF performance kit to verify that the rendering tread did sync up with the flat panel´s refresh ratio.
• Participated in the Achievement of 10 ms screen refresh in 120 hz flat panel
• Participated in the design, development and deployment of SQL database.
• Worked closely with SOAP UI for external and internal services to get valid Requests and Responses.
• Involved in streamlining the migration process; refining the processes such as Custom Build and Custom release.
• Experience in client interactions, coordination and deployment.
• Involved in Architecture design and code review.
• Acted as liaison between management and development team for Requirements and QA.
• Advanced knowledge with designer tools such as Microsoft Visio.
• Effective in working independently and collaboratively in teams.
Pros
c#.net, wpf, visual studio 2012 expression blend tfs .net 4.5., javascript, ajax, active directory, soap, ui, json, xml
My first paid research position
Clinical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 23, 2013
Yale was an amazing place to work, considering the location and academic environment. I worked in a small research office, and I carved out my own job responsibilities. My predecessor left abruptly for med school and the doctor leading the way was new. He hadn't carved out research plans or metrics to be honest. He was working on his animal research and I kept myself busy trying to organize any data available. I needed Yale to give me insight into what was lacking in coordinating research. Often I sat in on meetings with other department clinics, and I even taught myself the Internal Review Board submission and renewal process. Yale was the perfect stepping stone to Prometheus Research, who landed a major contract with the autism laboratory there. As an analyst at Prometheus doing requirements gathering in other research laboratories, I was able to quickly connect and identify my clients' needs. The latter skill has improved tenfold with experience.
Pros
academic setting, location, subject knowledge
Cons
absent manager, no formal training
Great place to work, with great benefits and job security
Account Assistant IV (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 19, 2013
Upon arrival to work in the mornings, there is a feeling of eagerness to get to work and begin the workday. Seeing that you work independently there is a sense of individual accountability for your work performance. There is also an underlying awareness of teamwork to provide the best customer service experience. Management not only makes themselves available at all times but also has great knowlege of the job that you do, so much so that they jump in and assist during staff shortge and high work volume moments. Employee's strengths are recognized by co-workers as well as mangement and utilized. The capability to multi-task is a must and expected. I enjoyed providing a quality experience to our customers/patients and representing my company and myself meticulously well
Pros
great benefits, comfortable environment
Cons
having to know the logic of all jobs from the front end, so that we as patient service reps could correct the errors on the back end
A place to work where you learned something new each day.
Administative Assistant (Former Employee) –  157 Church StreetSeptember 30, 2015
I worked for Yale University for nearly 25 years. I learned a lot starting in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, then heading on to the Alumni Fund and ending in The Office of Development Office of Major Gifts. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my colleagues, I learned so much from them. We really became a family. Everyone has different ways to do the same job and I'm very open to learning new ways to do my job. There was a lot of variety in what I did each day. My mother's heath became an issue and her long term care took away from my job which I'm very sad about looking back. But I'm happy to report my mother now is in her home with a 24 hour care giver and well taken care of. This will give me a chance to get back in the workforce and find a new challenging position.
Pros
Health care, time off
Cons
Office morale was very low and that's a shame
Culturally diversed and promotes professional development
Accountant & Financial Assistant/Specialist (Former Employee) –  Medical School and Central CampusNovember 26, 2014
A great place with cultural diversity and opportunity to learn and grow.

I experienced three promotions over a two-year period. My job involved many positive interpersonal relationships and professional interactions with faculty, staff, and students as I communicated the departments' accounting procedures and the university's financial policies. I enjoyed helping others overcome their frustrations.

I learned accounting skills that were not in the text books. Also, I was exposed to a wide array of accounting software programs and system. Examples are: Lotus 123, Quatro Pro, Paradox, Excel, and the Walker System.

Work in some departments involved high volume of activities which require constant multi-tasking and setting priority. However, the most challenging times were meeting deadlines for grant/contract renewal or closing.
Pros
healthcare benefit, tuition reimbursement
Cons
parking costs
Overall a great place to work
Financial Assistant 3-Treasury Services (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 27, 2015
Overall Yale was a great place to work. They offered several workplace groups to help with a lot of different things that were going on in different peoples lives. For example therapy sessions, how to deal and balance work with your personal life, stresses of daily life.
A typical day at work for me was a little hectic, usually busy. The hardest part was making sure that I balanced on a daily basis. We worked with a lot of money so it was critical to make sure that everything was accounted for at the end of the day, which it usually always was and if it wasn't there was research that needed to be done. My co-workers were great and very helpful, we most definitely worked as a team and that had to be the best part of my job.
Pros
Parking was not free but it was discounted to the employees which was a great perk.
Cons
I would have preferred to be able to interact more with other Yale staff members
enter at your own risk
grounds and maintenance (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTApril 11, 2013
I have worked here for some time now. I have seen my joy of going to work vanish. Bosses now will yell at you, belittle you in front of anyone. Management uses all types of intimidation. They don’t care about safety until someone gets hurt. You would think that a place like this would have a very high stander and would not treat people like they do. Forget about HR they are no help. I watch a man loss a week of pay because a co-worker was harassing him. He reported it shop stewart, his boss, then to HR. HR then suspended both of them. Most co-workers are great but the best part of the day is when it is over, or weekends when management is not around.
Pros
befenfits.
Cons
management and how they treat poeple
Productive and fast paced environment
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 4, 2012
As the security officer, my responsibilities included CCTV monitoring, making presence known to deter any suspicious patron/behavior, and/or patrolling buildings and street areas. I have learned so far how to adapt with university environment and always customer service. My supervisors also rely on my ability to communicate well with irate employees/guests, arrive to work on time in professional uniform, and to be alert at all times. Co-workers are amazing hard working people who come together like family to make the hard times easier and the good times even better. The hardest part of the job is being outside during bad weather and the most enjoyable part of the job is communicating with people who come from all over the world and being able to full-fill their needs when needed.
Pros
great benfits
good place to work with excellent benefits
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CtJuly 22, 2015
A work day was never routine. My work day could start with an emergent telephone call re a patient, computer issues, student problems, administrative problem, or a billing problem that I was responsible for resolving. Yale is a teaching establishment, so you are constantly gaining knowledge from all departments. it's a great place to meet people. Co-works have good interpersonal skills, treat each other with respect and loyalty. the hardest part of the job was periods of boredom. the most enjoyable of the job was interacting with patients, attendings, residents, and students; diversity; meeting people from all over the world; problem-solving and overseeing the department in general.
Pros
good medical benefits, great job opportunities, course offers
Cons
lack of parking
I love this job and always motivated to go to work
casual dining services (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 22, 2013
Yale University is one of my ideal jobs. They gave me the opportunity to do something I enjoy even at home...Cook. When I get to work the first thing I do is see whats on the menu for the day. I get things set up, cleaned and help the chef where its needed. I love my Yale family, we all help each other get thru the day in a fun but professional way. I enjoy connecting with the Yale students and befriending them. We all recognize each others name and approach other in a joyful manner. The hardest part is when its extremely too slow and there is absolutely nothing to do, but we always find a way to stay motivated!!
Pros
free food all day, loyal yale family, one of my passions
Cons
n/a
Gift Shop
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 8, 2013
I'm only an intern at the gift shop. I really enjoy it there. Friendly employees, manager, customers. I wish there were more for me to do there, also because I would like to gain more experience for customer services. According to the manager, and other employees, my performance is great.
So why not hire me? At the moment they are hiring and i'm currently trying to get permanent employment there, but I don't have the requirement of 2 full years experience in customer service. Kind of a disappointment since the manager did say he likes my performance. I work hard, fast, and I'm very friendly.
Pros
volunteer discount, gaining some experience to my resume, and more references
Cons
hard to get a job if you dont meet the requirements of 2 years experience in customer service
yale university is wonderful and amazing place to work full of culture and very good experience
Sous Chef/Production Manager (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 14, 2015
Overseeing Yale University Culinary Support Center. Involved with the consolidated Baking, Catering and cold food production into a 16,000 sq. ft. space.
Supervised and directed 40 employees which produce a ton of food a day.
Responsible for product needs and shipment to 12 colleges and retail locations.
Overseeing all catering events and production for the kitchen and catering department.
Having a passion for food implementation have created and trained effectively new ideas for food presentation. Involving a program in quality and sustainable foods.
Committed to being a visionary, strive to maintain culinary excellence a memorable experience.
Pros
lunch is avaiable
Cons
great benefits
Regular "9 to 5"
Animal Technician 2 (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 29, 2015
Everyday in this particular position was the same. Regular day, same thing. I did learn how to be constant in my pace, work ethic and to keep a smile on my face even when others struggled to. My co-workers were great. Built a relationship with each and they are normal people. All of them were much, much older than me so they were a lot more experienced in life than I was. The hardest part of the job was the schedule. I worked 2nd shift (10am-6pm). It sucked in the winter season. I really enjoyed the consistency of the job. The job's duties were the same every day and I liked that for the position it was.
Pros
Consistency
Cons
Winter season
Interesting Place to work
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 25, 2013
Yale was an interesting place to work, and enjoyable as a place to develop classes and a lab facility. I was allowed to ascend to the ranks of faculty and benefited my students in exhibition endeavors which were recognized by the School. A typical day was filled with management decisions relating to employees and facility needs as related to student and university projects. The most difficult aspect was finding ways around problems relating to the time management of others, prioritizing for projects varied from last minute to semester long endeavors. My employees and co-workers were interesting and enjoyable for the most part and all enjoyed the exchange of ideas and project sharing.
Pros
retirement plan, schedule
Cons
year to year contract, liability management
Fun workplace with plenty of advancement opportunities
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 26, 2015
I love working at Yale. There are plenty of great people that work here but there are also people aren't the best to work with. Unfrotuanly that is the perception workers are left with and they tell others about how lazy people are. The some aren't but I would be willing to say the good majority are lazy and since it is union they think they can't get fired. Union people just play some game that lets them keep their job while others bust their hump. It is downright annoying but other than some people it is a great environment and working with various clients is great too.
Pros
Free lunch, Overtime usually
Cons
Nasty people
Working in an academic environment was enjoyable
Assistant Director of Student Information (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 23, 2012
Typical Day: Depending on the time of year, set up classes in database, updated web page, working with staff from various departments on commencement activities

I learned how to write queries, how to use Microsoft Publisher and FrontPage

Management - very easy going - we just needed to get the job done

Co-workers - fun, supportive, friendly

Hardest and most enjoyable parts of the job were making sure everything was in place for Orientation and Commencement
Pros
ability to work on my own
Cons
less to do during the winter months
Unique working environment that recognized self motivators as well as those who followed guidelines.
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 4, 2014
Began each shift learning what existing problems, issues or concerns were unresolved by exiting shift. Standard procedures concerning mainframe reliability were reviewed and acted upon as part of a team of cooperative coworkers. Processes were monitored for efficient and reliable throughput for users.
The hardest part of the job was acclimating to a 3-night/14-hour shift, followed by 4 days off. Whereas the most enjoyable part of the job was having 3 days off each week.
Pros
liberal paid time off, and generous benefits
Cons
lack of sufficient staff to handle off-shift hours

4.3