Yale University Employee Reviews in United States

Ivy league university
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 23, 2015
Yale offers great benefits and opportunities for learning and advancement, but as with any large entity, each school/department/section is has its own culture. The medical school is very fast paced while central campus closely follows the academic year cycle. My experience in both of those areas was rewarding and I received much support from my supervisors, faculty and peers. It's really about finding the right fit for you!
Pros
Great benefits and pay; opportunities for learning and advancement
Cons
There are many areas/schools/departments within the university...many are great, others are toxic.
Loved the students over the years.
Chef (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 16, 2016
As we called them in the kitchen 'family' (the kitchen help) I miss so very much. Each day we prepared different food items. A six month cycle of menus. We cooked for and treated the students as our own children.
Pros
Great benefits, treated fairly by management
Cons
As a Chef worked late nights, worked weekends
Yale is a great place to work and learn from the best
ASSOCIATE RESEARCH SCIENTIST (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 24, 2016
This is my second appointment at Yale University and it has been a great learning experience working here. It gives me great pleasure to work with some of the best co-workers and Investigators who are pioneers in their respective fields. The most enjoyable part of m job is the freedom to propose novel ideas for research and to actually experiment with them. Yale also provides great health benefits for its employees and provides a conducive environment for research. I would highly recommend this place to any potential employees.
Pros
Health coverage
Great environment and great people
Animal Technician IV (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTFebruary 29, 2016
Yale University is a wonderful place to work, with wonderful people to work with. I am always learning new things, and there is a great deal of teamwork throughout our department. The benefits leave nothing to be desired, and the supervisors/managers treat me with patience and respect.
On an average day I would begin with doing my animal husbandry assignment, then move on to my area lead tasks. I have learned much from my time at Yale, teamwork, prioritizing responsibilities, and computer skills not being the least . My co-workers and I work well together, and foster an attitude of understanding and we work to achieve common goals.
The hardest part about my job is fitting the needs of everyone (i.e. the Primary Investigators, the post doctoral students, the managers/supervisors, and the business office) into one day in a timely, efficient manner. The challenge can be trying at times, but I find it interesting and it helps to keep me on my toes, and it has taught me how to be flexible.
Pros
Insurance Benefits and financial compenstion
Cons
I am essential staff, so sometimes it can be difficult to get there during incliment weather
Comfortable and nice working environment with respectable staff
Film Study Center Circulation Receptionist (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 18, 2016
I work as a receptionist at the main circulation desk of the Film Study Center at Yale where I mainly check out films to clients, which consist of Yale students, faculty, and staff. The management is well organized and good to the staff. The staff is hard working and takes care of the space well. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to meet the people who work there and come there.
Great Place to Work.
Senior Administrative Assistant, HR (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 26, 2015
Great place to work with supportive management. Everyone is nice and helpful. They offer great benefits and plenty of learning tools so that employees may proper at becoming more successful.
Pros
Great Benefits
Lots of
Office Assistant II (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 27, 2016
A very busy work environment which made the day go by fast. Lots of data entry. Met lots of new people and new co-workers. Management was fair to everyone. I enjoyed the jobs I was trained to do and the longer I was there and achieved more experience made the job fun.
Pros
Met lots of people
Cons
short breaks
Great place to work with supportive management
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 14, 2015
I can honestly say without a doubt that I love my job. I have a wonderful, supportive manager who truly appreciates everything I do. We work together as a team to provide the best administrative support there is.

My position does allow for growth and development as my employer offers various free work-shops to advance yourself or to hone in on particular skills you wish to improve on.

I am more than satisfied with my current employer. Excellent place to be a part of!
Benefits
Love what I do and like all my coworkers especially my collaborating MD
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 22, 2016
I work in a busy outpatient oncology clinic - we see mostly GI cancers, the majority have colorectal, pancreatic and esophageal cancer. Most are getting treatment, whether adjuvant or palliative. We see urgent visits in addition to treatment and followup visits. The days are never boring, and I learn something new every day. We also participate in clinical trials. The hardest part of the job is watching those with metastatic disease decline. The most enjoyable part of the job is telling a patient that their imaging was good and we will see them in 3, 6 or 12 months!

The only negative about my current position is the management, which is very topheavy (seems like there are 2 managers for every worker!) and their lack of interest in listening to those who work in the trenches every day.
Pros
awesome coworkers, great learning environment
Cons
long hours (salaried position)
Great Benefits
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 29, 2016
Good Employer and Great Benefits. Room to grow and transfer to multiple departments to gain experience in other areas of University.
Yale is a pretty good place to work if one can work in an ever changing environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 14, 2015
Yale is a great place to work if someone has to be flexible with work hours, Financial compensation is approximately 50% of pharmaceutical industry, but there a a lot of opportunities to learn new laboratory skills and a great learning environment if you make time to attend seminars.
Pros
work time flexibility, learning environment, good food
Cons
low wages, research funded on grant availability so job security is not concrete
Enjoyed working in Human Resources - My Sr. Representative was GREAT
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 31, 2015
Oversee and distribute workload to all clerical/technical staff
Work closely with two Senior Placement Representatives
Make travel arrangements and schedule meetings
Faxing, filing and photocopying documents as needed
Type and post medical school job openings for the university
Work with College Placement Offices for university graduates
Back up coverage of phones and creating letters of disciplinary and terminations
Ensure complete documents for new hires, promotions and demotions
Pros
The people I worked for was great individuals and very helpful needed
Yale University
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 15, 2015
Yale is a major employer in the area and offers excellent benefits and a high quality work environment. Only problem is traffic and parking but they are aware and addressing these issues.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Parking
Being only support to 4 division heads.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT/OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 31, 2015
During those years at the University, I advanced rather quickly through the ranks. By the end of my employment there, I was the only support staff to 4 different directors. Each director was responsible for different aspects of the departments (basketball; fundraising; alumni support; grant-writing; publications; etc.). It was fast paced and fun at the same time.
Pros
Learned new skills almost daily.
Cons
Learned new skills daily and had to keep pace with different divisions.
good place to work with excellent benefits
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CtJuly 22, 2015
A work day was never routine. My work day could start with an emergent telephone call re a patient, computer issues, student problems, administrative problem, or a billing problem that I was responsible for resolving. Yale is a teaching establishment, so you are constantly gaining knowledge from all departments. it's a great place to meet people. Co-works have good interpersonal skills, treat each other with respect and loyalty. the hardest part of the job was periods of boredom. the most enjoyable of the job was interacting with patients, attendings, residents, and students; diversity; meeting people from all over the world; problem-solving and overseeing the department in general.
Pros
good medical benefits, great job opportunities, course offers
Cons
lack of parking
Manager Switching and Transmission Engineer (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 30, 2015
Good benefits. Co-workers are great to work with. They encourage your participation and education. A large amount of red tape, difficult to get anything done.
Cool place. I love it.
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTFebruary 7, 2016
This place is awesome.
Highly efficient when working. Very relaxed when rest.
Co-workers are very kind.
The mentor is super brilliant and creative.

The job is full of challenge. Must be very creative. This part is the hardest but also very enjoyable.
Pros
Cakes. I love thest sweet stuff. Ha!
Cons
Short break
A Great Place to Work
Plant Engineer (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 31, 2015
Controlled the design and renovation of medical laboratories throughout the medical school. Supervisor was a great teacher and Engineer.
Pros
Great experience in Engineering and Project Managemente
Cons
Was a part time job during Colleage
Productive work place, fun, great people to work with
ONSITE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 8, 2015
It was always busy A Lot of customers.
Co workers were always very helpful also management.
I learned basic computer skills
Also how to talk a lot more had to be very outgoing.
learned to be persistent.
most enjoyable part is the employees they make it fun!
Pros
1 hour lunches, management was very understandable
Cons
No benefits
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Haven, CTJanuary 11, 2016
The typical day in this position predominantly consisted of over the phone scheduling of consultation appointments. Traveled to site locations and carried out consultations for consent review, agreement, and recruitment.

I was trained to perform MMSE, as well as trained and tested for Human Subjects Protection, HIPAA.
Pros
Performing consultations
Cons
Per Diem

4.3