Yale University Employee Reviews

Great Hospital to work for!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 14, 2016
I worked in a busy fast paced environment, answering phones and involved with handling multiple schedules for our Doctors and appointments for our patients. I learned to be more organized and proficient in various tasks. My co-workers were professional team players who assisted me when needed. The hardest part of my job was not being able to squeeze patients into an already full clinic. My Doctors demonstrated quality time with their patients and did not want to overbook them in order to give them the time and attention they needed. The most enjoyable part of my job was feeling as if I made a difference in the patient's care and would often get rewarded by their appreciative, grateful spirit!
Pros
Proficient and well organized enviornment
Cons
Billing issues for patients
Great intellectual environment
Research Associate II (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 5, 2016
Being at Yale has afforded me many opportunities to meet and work with some of the best minds, and it is truly inspiring. Organizationally, work is flexible and you are encouraged to have a healthy work/life balance. Health benefits are amazing.
Pros
Health benefits, proximity to great restaurants, cool events
Cons
Average salary, no paid parental leave policies
Wonderful working experience
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 4, 2016
Working for Yale was truly an eye opener to what I wanted to do with my work experience. I was able to persom many duties as requested by professors, doctors and nurses. I worked with patients and their families in different clinics. Anyone who has the chance to work for this university will benefit in every area
Encourages promoting from within.
Earned "Top Seller (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 29, 2016
The employer has diversity throughout the company. The company encourages employees to get a higher education in order to be promoted. The company shows it cares for the employees based on its interactions with the employees.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Outsourced some jobs
excellent institution with competitive benefits
Mental health consultant (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, Waterbury, HamdenAugust 19, 2016
Yale University is an excellent institution to work for with a comprehensive benefits package. The project supervisor has excellent management skills. Everyone on the team at juvenile works well together.
Pros
Solid team
Cons
Travelling to detention sites as far as Waterbury and Hartford
Only if you have a clue before you come in the door
ITS Yale Desktop Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 26, 2016
This is a complicated system, though when the pieces finally start to come together it is a great place to work.

Mac support a must, the more the merrier with understanding of HIPPA compliance, as well as in depth email knowledge
I have learned a great deal at Yale unfortunately the sign of the times took over.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 27, 2016
My position was a very busy one in the slide room. I would retrieve slides for cases pertaining to patients having surgery and on the table for comparison. I retrieved slides for Conferences and Tumor Boards. Filing was a major part of the position.

Interaction with other medical facilities to ask for Yale's material back when patient requested it to be sent out for a 2nd opinion. I would prepare the slides & send them Federal Express.

Also did transcription when department was very busy and covered the front desk when someone was out and or at break.
The work environment was excellent
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 6, 2016
Being a Lab Assistant was rewarding, fun, and a great job overall. The people were kind and helpful. The job wasn't too complicated or complex and I was great at getting things done fast as well as thorough.
Pros
Free lunch, great work environment, great people
Cons
The smell.
Not a happy environment to work in.
Account Assistant 2 (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 15, 2016
Your held back if your a worker and others are promoted while bullying the workers. Management/Human Resources turns the other way instead of using corrective action. Instead of bringing people together they create a divide amongst other employees. This is in one department.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Not a good environment to work in/bullying
Personally I enjoyed working for Yale University. I found it to be an equal oppoprotunity employer.
Custodian Worker (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 22, 2016
Excellent place to work with great benefits. I work for Yale University three differs tours and would work there again.
Pros
Free lunch in Dining Halls
Cons
Fast past can be exausting
Temporary office clerk position
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 31, 2016
This was a temporary position in an office. I enjoyed the experience of working in a office that provided services to people in need of medical attention.
Pros
Temporary experience allowed me to try a position without truly commiting
Cons
Working for a large university can be quite a changeling
Wonderful traditionally steeped in tradition.
Portfolio Manager (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 3, 2016
Poor work life balance. Little input into your career path. For the most there are no career paths. If you are good at your job, they will try to keep you there avoiding any potential growth or promotions for you.
Pros
It's Yale and you can experience an everything an organization of that stature has to offer.
Cons
Lots of silos, very cut throat as there have been several layoffs recently.
Senior messaging administrator (Former Employee) –  Newhaven CTMay 31, 2016
Support 2010, 365 exchange messaging systems.
Do a daily morning check of all systems
check for DMP Backup completions
Check for Corrupted Mailbox Database if failover then restore
Check message queues
Check CAs servers for active connections
Check content index issues and resolve
Resolve ticket via remedy queue
Pros
Working with good folks
Cons
In bad area of town, you have to pay for parking
Excellent benefits but some departments aren't so great
Senior Administrator (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 29, 2016
I have found that my experience at Yale is vastly different to other employees outside of my specific department. Almost everyone else I meet absolutely LOVES working here. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people.
There is no room for advancement in my department. Management is awful...lots of blame placing and very little accountability for actions. Tons of micro-management leading to mistrust and miserably low morale.
Too much bureaucracy in all of our processes. Way too many steps creating way too much room for error.
My direct co-workers are fantastic but there are other very cliquey and toxic circles in the entire department.
The hardest part of my job is getting direct and accurate answers to my questions. My training was very convoluted and ever-changing.
The most enjoyable part of my job is time off and weekends.
Pros
Reputation, Excellent Benefits
Cons
Mind numbingly unrewarding work, constantly having to do the job of others due to their inadequacy
Management Professional (Former Employee) –  New HavenAugust 16, 2016
Excellent continuous learning culture. Some of the most intelligent people I have ever worked with. The health benefits and retirement benefits are outstanding.
Pros
The people you have the opportunity to meet and work with.
Cons
Diversity
Good Educational place
Youth Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 4, 2016
This place was a great place to learn how to take initiative and responsibility. The people were welcoming and accepting. this place I would definitely recommend to other people like friends and family.
Big research university
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 31, 2016
Opportunities to learn from top researchers in almost any scientific field. Great university town with great cultural opportunities.
Pros
World class reputation
Cons
poor pay & benefits
Good people doing important work in a great environment.
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 13, 2016
I was usually the first one in the lab because I was able to walk to work. Comradery displayed by all working towards a similar goal,
Pros
Food carts on Cedar street
Nice
Workday Consultant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 6, 2016
It was really nice working there
people there are very friendly
I learned a lot while working there
Co-Workers are pretty freindly
I enjoy each and every moment
Management is very good
There was no typical day at work
Meaningful experience
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 12, 2016
I really enjoyed teaching undergraduates both semesters. It in return helped me better understand some basic micro economic concepts. I am grateful for this opportunity.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Yale University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3