Yale University

Yale University Employee Reviews

Productive, busy
Intake Specialist, Thoracic Oncology Program (Current Employee), New Haven, CTMay 28, 2015
Fast passed environment, patient care with Cancer great place to work

a typical day is spent answering phones, scheduling patients appointment, collecting medical records

my co-workers are easy to get along with
Great organization to work for!
Sr. Admin Assistant (Former Employee), New Haven, CTMay 28, 2015
Great organization to work for! There is definitely room for advancement. There are lots of opportunities to learn and grow within organization.
Supportive environment for graduate school
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee), New Haven, CTMay 23, 2015
Pros: Great science
The chemistry graduate program at Yale is a great place to obtain an advanced degree. The research at this school is first-rate and the professors are helpful and supportive of graduate students.
I didn't even want this job
Graphic Designer (Former Employee), New Haven, CTMay 15, 2015
Pros: They were paying me $18/hour (this was back in 2001 or so), getting paid that much while living at home and having a second job
Cons: I never even applied for this job, I knew nothing about what they wanted me to do, parking, still having a second job, feeling used because they were too cheap to pay someone from Johnson Controls, going to school full time and having a second job meant no free time (did homework at school), only real reason I came home was to sleep, my mom said I would pass myself coming in as I was walking out the door, total burnout.
I already had a job and was in school full time. I didn’t want this job. In fact, I didn’t even apply for it. Unbeknownst to me, one of my teachers submitted my resume for a position they had open. One day I got a phone call from someone at Yale asking me about my resume and when I could come in for an interview. I didn’t even know what he was talking about. This is probably the only time I went to an interview not even trying to get the job because I already had too much on my plate. About a month passed by after the interview and I figured I was in the clear from that job. Nope. They called me with a job offer and I begrudgingly took it.

Basically they hired me because they didn’t want to pay someone from Johnson Controls a lot more money to do the job. I had to learn how to use Johnson Control’s propriety software with no books, no user guides, phone numbers, or anything else that could be of any help. No one else working there knew how to use the program either. My job was to create real time graphics of the HVAC units in a lot of the buildings using their software. It had to collect readings from sensors located in various buildings throughout the campus for data like air flow rates, temperatures and etc. Just learning how to use their software was a daunting task in itself, but integrating it to collect data from various sources throughout the campus and depicting it graphically in real time put me at near wits end. I had no HVAC or graphics design experience.

In two years of near maddening trial and error I figured out how to do what they had wanted. – more... You could click on a building and it would pull up a graphical depiction of what the HVAC system looked like in that building. I had toggle buttons to do things like turn fans off or close dampers. If the fan was on, it actually showed to be spinning on the screen. If you turned it off the fan stopped spinning. I also had boxes that displayed any available data from that unit in real time. If something went out of normal range a red alarm went off next to it to let you know. I cannot express in this review just how tedious and frustrating it was to learn how to do all that not knowing a single thing going in. I still to this day wonder if they use all those graphics that took me two years to create. – less
What I love about Yale is the intellectual stimulus. If you seek it out, there are no boundaries on wealth of knowledge you can learn.
Senior Service Management Specialist (Current Employee), New Haven, CTMay 11, 2015
Pros: Learning environment, work schedule flexibility
At Yale, you can have a positive impact on Faculty, students and staff on a daily basis. Successfully implemented a process improvement framework utilizing service management methodologies. This straightforward framework has been adopted by professional staff of the Yale IT department. It has increased customer satisfaction at a community-wide level.
Very exciting workplace
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee), New Haven, CTMay 5, 2015
Pros: Seminars, career events
Cons: less guidance
I learned a lot working at Yale University. I diversified and became a part of the leadership team at a career organization which enabled me to network and learn more able different career paths.
There is access to a lot of resources and chance for collaboration here at Yale and I have the opportunity of being an independent researcher.
good
Research Scientist (Former Employee), New Haven, CTApril 25, 2015
A lot of opportunity to learn new skills and knowledge. Good communication and team work. Great town. Minimum supervision. A little bit difficult to organize regular meeting.
great job
Custodian (Former Employee), New Haven, CTApril 18, 2015
Pros: uniforms provided free lunch
Cons: pay for parking
excellent place to excel and learn new traits. Great benefits job security friendly co-workers. The hardest part of the job is losing employment. most enjoyable part of the job is experiencing new jobs
Fun place to work, awesome teachers with diverse backgrounds and qualifications
Postgraduate Associate (Former Employee), New Haven, CTApril 7, 2015
Productive and awesome workplace with so much support, love and appreciation

Fun place to work, awesome teachers with diverse backgrounds and qualifications
Working in the Lab
Intern (Former Employee), New Haven, CTApril 1, 2015
When I did my internship at Yale School of Medicine my supervisor was very friendly and helpful. The lab setting was very friendly and it was a nice place to do my internship. I mostly worked with an electron microscope to take images of mice neurons. My supervisor was very understanding and helped educate me through every step. Overall, great experience.
Productive work place
Public Health Summer Internship (Former Employee), New Haven, CTMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Free software, easy to reach supervisors, learned something new and outside of course work
Cons: Low compensation
The analytic skills involved in genetic research was not covered in any course work, so it took me some efforts to keep up with the pace in our research progress. The advantage was easy to reach my supervisor and post-doc fellow, so that my questions could be solved in a timely manner. I really learned a lot in the two months training in such a pure academic environment, which was the best part of the MPH internship requirement I've experienced.
exciting
Food Prep/Cashier (Former Employee), New Haven, CTMarch 27, 2015
Working for Yale University was an exciting journey. Being able to work in so many different dining halls gave me the opportunity to learn so much from so many different people and of course made a few friends along the way
Fun workplace with plenty of advancement opportunities
Banquet Server (Current Employee), New Haven, CTMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Free lunch, Overtime usually
Cons: Nasty people
I love working at Yale. There are plenty of great people that work here but there are also people aren't the best to work with. Unfrotuanly that is the perception workers are left with and they tell others about how lazy people are. The some aren't but I would be willing to say the good majority are lazy and since it is union they think they can't get fired. Union people just play some game that lets them keep their job while others bust their hump. It is downright annoying but other than some people it is a great environment and working with various clients is great too.
project writing
Fulbright Scholar at Yale University (Former Employee), New HeavenMarch 24, 2015
Pros: great university
Cons: short period of grant
I wrote the program of reforming management for the health care industry of Georgia.
The task was to prepare the healthcare reforming draft. I analyzed the different examples of alternative reforming management. Established some indicators and wrote management document for the country.
pharmacy
Certified Pharmacy Technician I (Former Employee), New Haven, CTMarch 12, 2015
Its a large hospital but the staff make it happen. The main goal is that the patient gets the medication in a timely fashion
supportive environment
Clinician (Former Employee), New Haven, CTMarch 3, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: poor salares
I was a Clinician at YCSC, great place to work, fantastic benefits, little politics although salaries are poor. Yale University providers a flexible schedule but does offend expect professional employees to work often from home.
Good
Manager (Former Employee), New haven ConnecticutMarch 3, 2015
Pros: good salary
Cons: poor administration
Room for advancement great job security. Just a lot of internal politics to deal with on a daily basis. A lot of misdirection rather than support. Felt alone most of the time with lack of support from the administration.
Excellent Wok/Life Balance
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), New Haven, CTJanuary 28, 2015
A typical day includes responding to all ltypes of inquiries, emails and calls from various departments. You process, synthesize and execute solutions to problems from nominal to in depth. You coordinate projects and review overlaps of resources.

I have learned adaptability and systematic thinking in approaching solutions. I've have learned to establish short-term and long terms solutions even in times of deficit.

The hardest part of job is identifying all impacted parties of problems and solutions.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the learning environment.
Difficult management
Central service technician (Current Employee), New Haven, CTJanuary 28, 2015
Management don't compromise with the schedule. The hospital has a favorable environment to work in.
Great work atmosphere
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee), New Haven, CTJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: educationa training, benefits
Cons: mobility up the latter is difficult due to politics
Great work environment with lots of educational training available. Flexible hours and discretion allowed in your own clinical work. Great supervision.

1 2 3 4 5

About Yale University

What do former President George W. Bush and actress Meryl Streep have in common? They are Yalies. Yale University is one of the – Read more

Yale University Salaries