Yale University Employee Reviews

Great Benefits
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 29, 2016
Good Employer and Great Benefits. Room to grow and transfer to multiple departments to gain experience in other areas of University.
Great place to work, with great benefits and job security
Account Assistant IV (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 19, 2013
Upon arrival to work in the mornings, there is a feeling of eagerness to get to work and begin the workday. Seeing that you work independently there is a sense of individual accountability for your work performance. There is also an underlying awareness of teamwork to provide the best customer service experience. Management not only makes themselves available at all times but also has great knowlege of the job that you do, so much so that they jump in and assist during staff shortge and high work volume moments. Employee's strengths are recognized by co-workers as well as mangement and utilized. The capability to multi-task is a must and expected. I enjoyed providing a quality experience to our customers/patients and representing my company and myself meticulously well
Pros
great benefits, comfortable environment
Cons
having to know the logic of all jobs from the front end, so that we as patient service reps could correct the errors on the back end
Great benefits and pay / laid back environment
Catalog Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTFebruary 5, 2014
Working at Yale was a pleasant experience for me in many ways . I had so much to handle on my own at such a young age which gave me a lot of confidence and team leader skills. The hardest part was the difficulties that an employee can face having to deal with patrons' needs at the library but at the end of the day the job had to be done.
Most enjoyable part is the flexibility of the schedule and the friendly environment in the library.
Pros
Flexible schedules/ benefits / salary
Cons
budget cuts/ constant management change
Good
Manager (Former Employee) –  New haven ConnecticutMarch 3, 2015
Room for advancement great job security. Just a lot of internal politics to deal with on a daily basis. A lot of misdirection rather than support. Felt alone most of the time with lack of support from the administration.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Poor administration
Productive work place, fun, great people to work with
ONSITE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 8, 2015
It was always busy A Lot of customers.
Co workers were always very helpful also management.
I learned basic computer skills
Also how to talk a lot more had to be very outgoing.
learned to be persistent.
most enjoyable part is the employees they make it fun!
Pros
1 hour lunches, management was very understandable
Cons
No benefits
Enjoyed working in Human Resources - My Sr. Representative was GREAT
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 31, 2015
Oversee and distribute workload to all clerical/technical staff
Work closely with two Senior Placement Representatives
Make travel arrangements and schedule meetings
Faxing, filing and photocopying documents as needed
Type and post medical school job openings for the university
Work with College Placement Offices for university graduates
Back up coverage of phones and creating letters of disciplinary and terminations
Ensure complete documents for new hires, promotions and demotions
Pros
The people I worked for was great individuals and very helpful needed
Cons
good place to work with excellent benefits
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CtJuly 22, 2015
A work day was never routine. My work day could start with an emergent telephone call re a patient, computer issues, student problems, administrative problem, or a billing problem that I was responsible for resolving. Yale is a teaching establishment, so you are constantly gaining knowledge from all departments. it's a great place to meet people. Co-works have good interpersonal skills, treat each other with respect and loyalty. the hardest part of the job was periods of boredom. the most enjoyable of the job was interacting with patients, attendings, residents, and students; diversity; meeting people from all over the world; problem-solving and overseeing the department in general.
Pros
good medical benefits, great job opportunities, course offers
Cons
lack of parking
Yale New Haven Hospital
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 19, 2012
Hypocritical environment. Of course they tout YNHH as the employer of choice but the truth is the work environment is not that great and the benefits are on average less than I have received at other employers.
Pros
large institution with plenty of movement available.
Cons
hypocritical environment, the upper management does not care about its people even through they say they do.
yale university is wonderful and amazing place to work full of culture and very good experience
Sous Chef/Production Manager (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 14, 2015
Overseeing Yale University Culinary Support Center. Involved with the consolidated Baking, Catering and cold food production into a 16,000 sq. ft. space.
Supervised and directed 40 employees which produce a ton of food a day.
Responsible for product needs and shipment to 12 colleges and retail locations.
Overseeing all catering events and production for the kitchen and catering department.
Having a passion for food implementation have created and trained effectively new ideas for food presentation. Involving a program in quality and sustainable foods.
Committed to being a visionary, strive to maintain culinary excellence a memorable experience.
Pros
lunch is avaiable
Cons
great benefits
Agree with enter at your own risk
Manager (Current Employee) –  Central CampusApril 22, 2013
Can't speak for university as a whole as each dept. varies. Lot's of inflated egos who can do no wrong unfortunately.

Unless one is a brown noser and bows down to the inflated egos, your life will be miserable.
Pros
decent work life balance and benefits
Cons
terrible managament of staff and support staff, can't speak for faculty
Good Place to work for
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTApril 22, 2016
Good Place to work for, great academics and great faculty. I would work there again if I could. Dr.Cullurciello helped me so much on improving my knowledge on robotics vision.
Fun workplace with plenty of advancement opportunities
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 26, 2015
I love working at Yale. There are plenty of great people that work here but there are also people aren't the best to work with. Unfrotuanly that is the perception workers are left with and they tell others about how lazy people are. The some aren't but I would be willing to say the good majority are lazy and since it is union they think they can't get fired. Union people just play some game that lets them keep their job while others bust their hump. It is downright annoying but other than some people it is a great environment and working with various clients is great too.
Pros
Free lunch, Overtime usually
Cons
Nasty people
Great work atmosphere
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 13, 2015
Great work environment with lots of educational training available. Flexible hours and discretion allowed in your own clinical work. Great supervision.
Pros
educationa training, benefits
Cons
mobility up the latter is difficult due to politics
Yale University
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 15, 2015
Yale is a major employer in the area and offers excellent benefits and a high quality work environment. Only problem is traffic and parking but they are aware and addressing these issues.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Parking
Being only support to 4 division heads.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT/OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 31, 2015
During those years at the University, I advanced rather quickly through the ranks. By the end of my employment there, I was the only support staff to 4 different directors. Each director was responsible for different aspects of the departments (basketball; fundraising; alumni support; grant-writing; publications; etc.). It was fast paced and fun at the same time.
Pros
Learned new skills almost daily.
Cons
Learned new skills daily and had to keep pace with different divisions.
great job
Custodian (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTApril 18, 2015
excellent place to excel and learn new traits. Great benefits job security friendly co-workers. The hardest part of the job is losing employment. most enjoyable part of the job is experiencing new jobs
Pros
uniforms provided free lunch
Cons
pay for parking
supportive environment
Clinician (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 3, 2015
I was a Clinician at YCSC, great place to work, fantastic benefits, little politics although salaries are poor. Yale University providers a flexible schedule but does offend expect professional employees to work often from home.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
poor salares
Manager Switching and Transmission Engineer (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 30, 2015
Good benefits. Co-workers are great to work with. They encourage your participation and education. A large amount of red tape, difficult to get anything done.
Gift Shop
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 8, 2013
I'm only an intern at the gift shop. I really enjoy it there. Friendly employees, manager, customers. I wish there were more for me to do there, also because I would like to gain more experience for customer services. According to the manager, and other employees, my performance is great.
So why not hire me? At the moment they are hiring and i'm currently trying to get permanent employment there, but I don't have the requirement of 2 full years experience in customer service. Kind of a disappointment since the manager did say he likes my performance. I work hard, fast, and I'm very friendly.
Pros
volunteer discount, gaining some experience to my resume, and more references
Cons
hard to get a job if you dont meet the requirements of 2 years experience in customer service
Cool place. I love it.
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTFebruary 7, 2016
This place is awesome.
Highly efficient when working. Very relaxed when rest.
Co-workers are very kind.
The mentor is super brilliant and creative.

The job is full of challenge. Must be very creative. This part is the hardest but also very enjoyable.
Pros
Cakes. I love thest sweet stuff. Ha!
Cons
Short break

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Yale University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3