YELLOW FREIGHT Employee Reviews in United States

A secure place to work when looking for longivity
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CAFebruary 15, 2016
Depending upon your position, there are opportunities for advancement. For full time employees job security is assured and raises are yearly. Being a unionized company it has a good benefit package for its employees and retirement is from the union.
Pros
Teamsters Union
Cons
WOrking in the elements
Very fun place to work at
Freight biller (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 24, 2016
Management was great. Very fun to work with the people and the truck drivers.The hours were good and the management was very flexible and understanding if you had to go to an appointment or if you needed a day off.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Short breaks
Was one of the best companies I've worked for.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 6, 2016
Yellow went out of there way to take care of there employees from compensation, to home time, benefits. Would have never left.
Fun and warm environment. Paid lunch breaks, adequate pay for job
Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 10, 2015
A typical day would be clocking in and immediately pick up a pile of bills to be created (organized on table). Create bills of laden in system, printing them and give to the person who check them and did final submission to print out actual bill. Very well oiled machine so to speak, We all got along famously and management allowed us to order food in and eat as we worked as long as we still kept up productivity. The hardest part of my job was working until 2 in the morning and driving 2 hours to and from every day. My department was closed on Sundays and major holidays.So that was fantastic as I had a 3 year old and expecting my second child the last several months I worked . Everyone was supportive.
Pros
Non stressful atmosphere, and appreciation for job well done.
Cons
Except for late hours and long cummute, there was no cons
difficult place to work micro management from the top down created hostile work environment
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 2, 2015
My job at yellow freight consisted of punching in. After which there was generally a shift meeting where overall shift objectives were gone over. At that point you received bills of lading for the trailer you were assigned, you took bills of lading matched them to the freight aboard the trailer than using hi-los pallet jacks and related equipment you moved the freight to the trailer it was leaving on. Continue till the buzzer rings go home
Pros
medical dental good wage
Cons
terrible working conditions, hi stress, bad neighborhood, air
Keep Looking
Management (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 5, 2015
The company is very political and lacks morals. They will chew you up and spit you out when they are done with you. Expect back stabbing and people to take credit for your work without giving you reconigition.
Warehoouse associate and forklift operator
Forklift operator, Shipper, Receiver (Former Employee) –  Seekonk, MASeptember 12, 2015
Drove truck. Loading and unloading freight. Operating all warehouse power equipment. Very good and and it was a Union job with great pay. Left to open my own Warehouse.
Mail Opener
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 2, 2015
At this job I gain skills to be more careful and detail oriented because my job was to open mail at hospital where I would have to separate bills according to the different departments in accounting. For example, I would open mail every day separate the bills, organize checks, put them in the right envelop and go drop it off. I worked with the Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, and the Payroll department.
Trucking in my opinion
Over the road doubles driver (Former Employee) –  Bridgeview, ILSeptember 23, 2015
It is a very hard on the road, sleeping in even worse hotels and driving trucks that were sub par. To top it off with terrible food.
4 stars down
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 17, 2015
Great benefits. Management is all over the place and mad at the world . This job is not a career opportunity. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
Union
good company
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 14, 2015
made good money but hours got cut way back and they moved for a trucking company too bad they had to move.
I wish I could have stayed longer
Pros
good money
Cons
hours cut
high paced good pay
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  East Petersburg, PAAugust 6, 2015
daily loading and unloading of various types of freight including hazardous materials. Good pay high paced environment.
Forklifts are awesome
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Maybrook, NYNovember 13, 2014
It's a Union job in a 1/4 warehouse thats filled with forklifts amongst other things. It's very fast paced and follows your typical Union outfit. The job itself isn't to bad but it's just that everything is random. It takes two years as a full time employee to get a work schedule which means they can call ya at anytime during those two years to go in. Another plus and minus is the random overtime which helps with money problems but can alter any personal plans for that day. I knew the overall management team which were awesome guys so they made it fun. The best part is speeding on that 1/4 mile stretch on a forklift.
Pros
union, constant work, steady flow of income and more
Cons
random work schedule, random overtime
awasome
Casual Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAJune 15, 2015
love this job things are never the same... great pay... flexible hours good management team great pay..... benefits where great
Pros
great pay
Cons
laid off
Good pace to work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAMay 5, 2015
The only negative was not knowing your hours and you were at the mercy of the management in this regard.But you knew that going in.
easy job easy work just made hard
Line Haul Driver (Current Employee) –  Richfield, OHJuly 16, 2014
YRC is a good paying job The Insurance is the best The pension is in bad shape IF you want home time this is not the job If you want to plan anything to do on your time off you can not ,if you can baby sit a phone and live with 2 hour notice about your whole live then the job will work!!! if they had a plan this would be a great job
Pros
pay, insurance
Cons
no life they own you
Operations and Sales Daily
Branch Mgr/Sales - Fort Smith & NW Arkansas (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARDecember 18, 2012
I loved Yellow Freight !! I managed and sold for the Ft Smith, AR facility !! When Yellow bought Roadway; things were great for awhile. Upon integration to YRC, Inc.; I found it difficult as most processes/practices went to the Roadway procedures. Many Yellow personnel left the new company; and I did the same in June of 09.

Overall; I liked my time at Yellow/YRC !! Just left for another opportunity!!
Pros
seeing my customers; both external and internal; and spending time with my drivers!!
Cons
major change; a "culture" change among corporate; and field personnel...
did not work long enough to grasp a complete overview
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 17, 2015
Only worked on Sundays was on a 24hr shift call, co workers were good to work with, Did not like the fact that I was only getting called 1 day a week
Pros
pay
Cons
24hr shift call
great place to work
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 21, 2012
Busy warhouse dock with relaxed atmosphere..I learned how to drive hi-lo forklift and loading and unloading trailers. the management was great and very helpful, as well as co-workers...There wasnt a hard part of the job except you werent guaranteed 40 hours per week and the most enjoyable part was the pay wage.
Pros
great hours and wages
Cons
not guaranteed 40 hours per week
Very Busy
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  West Chester, OHNovember 28, 2012
A very busy day. This is where i learned to drive a forklift and use the scanners. Management was very easy to get along with. The co-workers were also very easy to get along with. The hardest part was some of the things you had to load were very challenging but i love a challenge. The most enjoyable part was the pay.
Pros
very good pay and benifits
Cons
the cold weather