Yellow Pages Group

Yellow Pages Group Employee Reviews

This is a good, just out of college job.
Web Builder (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 4, 2013
A typical day is grabbing the next available web site that needs to be built, gathering all the information that needs to be present on the site. Designing graphics that work with what the client has provided or finding images that will work with the type of business the client owns and putting all of the pieces together in the template based builder.

I have learned a lot about Photoshop. Much of what I learned at school was focused on print so I was dealing with InDesign and Illustrator. Working with a digital medium has allowed me to explore photoshop in greater detail

Management is wonderful and always there to help when needed and give praise when it is earned.

The hardest part of the job is finding inspiration. Working in a template based builder it is easy to feel like you are constantly building the same site over and over. Breaking away from what you know works and experimenting while still trying to meet the deadlines is probably the hardest part of the job.

The most enjoyable part is learning something new from other builders. Having over thirty builders in the same room offers a lot of opportunity to learn new tricks from other people.
Pros
the management, the social aspect of a large production office.
Cons
tediousness of building the same thing day in and day out, the pay rate.
Would not recommend if you are an ethical and logical person
Account Executive Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 7, 2013
I would not recommend this company to anyone who is concerned with their reputation as a professional salesperson.
Their priorities are not with the customer but with their internal game plan. I've never worked anywhere where there was so much stress and so little job satisfaction. Although the people I worked alongside and under were honest, the process is complicated to a fault. Customers and prospects constantly hung up on me when I told them who I worked for. Their Voice Verification phone process is a tricky way to get a signed "verbal" contract from their customer and customers hate it.

I have an issue with an employer that takes my urine... but does not give me theirs to examine before I am hired. The HR department is virtual and best practices of new employee procedures were totally thrown out the door. This employer won't make the list of Best Places to Work. Attrition rate is high.

OH,GM likes to "play ball" and have employees do a Monday morning Soul Train dance from the meeting room to their cubes.
Cons
upper management from atlanta makes unpopular appearences as preacher/sales motivator
Sterile work environment with little advancement opportunity
Listing Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Blue Bell, PASeptember 21, 2015
My department was in charge of setting up basic phone book entries with little to no advertisement attached. I sat in a cubicle with a stack of paper and typed the same information over and over. Talking was discouraged on the floor and employees were encouraged to wear headphones to listen to music. While I enjoyed being able to listen to my own music choices, I grew bored of the monotony day after day.
The on location management did try to make things more lively. We had holiday parties when able and individual department managers brought in breakfast or dinner items if overtime was mandatory.
Pros
Designated 15 minute breaks everyday
Cons
Discouraged employee discussion
Yellow Pages a great place to work
Production Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Blue Bell, PASeptember 17, 2013
Overall i like Yellow Pages Group. I learned much about print media in my 4 years here with the company. The work and the people i worked with are a great group of people. I am always fascinated with the people i have met in my IT career. I have been lucky to have worked with some of the best and brightest people along the way.
Sadly the print media business is going away and has been replaced with more and more digital solutions.
I would have to say the hardest part of my job will be not being able to work here with the people i have grown fond of over the years
Pros
close to home
Cons
not being able to finish my carreer with this company
Prepare for stress
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHFebruary 24, 2015
Job was not what I was told it would be. Had to make cold calls to set appointments, rather than being in field. Had a $1,500/month goal for new money advertising sales. If quota not met, put on a three step improvement plan. Lots of stress, and when your pay is affected by customers who may or may not pay their bills (even though we were told "no charge backs), it is very frustrating. Good people to work with though, I think that we share a foxhole mentality, where we were all just looking to survive
Pros
set own schedule, meeting and helping small business owners
Cons
micro management, upper management not engaged
Relaxed, fun work environment
Senior Specialist-Business Services (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 15, 2014
The good: The work environment at YPG was great. The setting was very relaxed and casual, with the majority of employees being friendly and helpful.

The bad: My department, along with others, was eliminated due to a restructuring of the company. We were previously assured that we would have positions, and within a month an announcement was made that we would in fact not have positions. We were given false hope that "new projects" or opportunities would become available. They were not.
Pros
great health benefits, relaxed work environment.
Days can be challenging and rewarding
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 16, 2015
After 27 year of working for myself, YP has given me a terrific transition into corporate life. My team is filled with super stars which we all greatly benefit from that environment. The perception of the book is the most challenging part of the business. Many people don't understand how the company has become a digital powerhouse. I mostly certainly feel my most satisfied when I call one of my new account holders and there company is over perform their expectations.
Pros
uncapped earning potential
Cons
no flexibility with schedule
Sales in the Yellow Page industry
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 18, 2012
You were responsible for bringing in new sales, renew existing accounts and increase sales in existing accounts. You have to be a self motivated individual that has to have the ability to work with all levels from the C-Suites, Managers, mid managers & independent owners.
Plus you have to know something about all kinds of businesses from A-Z. You have to be a relationship, consultative seller. Each and everyday you have to be a hunter and be able to network and always be closing.
Pros
everyone knows of the yellow pages
Cons
it's a dying industry
Fast paced environment; great team members
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesJuly 18, 2013
I enjoy working with my team members on a daily basis on project management and error resolution. We collaborate with our internal and external customers to ensure customer satisfaction.

My immediate management team is supportive and accommodating when needed. I would like to see more work/life balance and telecommuting opportunities for all employees in the United States. The company does offer a competitive benefits plan, and bonus opportunities.

My immediate concern is the lack of growth opportunities.
High Pressure unprofessional Roswell,Ga
advertisng media consultant (Former Employee) –  Roswell,GaAugust 22, 2013
They don't tell you about charge backs your managers will embarrass you in front of your co-workers mine did. They want to write up when your numbers are down and demoralize you instead of working with you to help you. You have to join a union and pay dues every month and they don't do anything for you and the medical benefits are awful. $2500 deducitible for you and your spouse. That is like having no insurance and you have to wait six months before you are eligble
Pros
co workers
Cons
management.
Engaging and Productive
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 23, 2013
Working for Yellow Pages Group has been an eye-opening opportunity. This was one of my first jobs in the design community and I am grateful for all the experience and skills that I have acquired with-in these past three years. Yellow Pages Group is a productive and engaging environment run and organized my hardworking and driven people. They have been helpful and encouraging and working for them has benefited me as a designer.
Pros
holidays off, and predictable work schedual
Cons
cubicle environment
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Account Executive/Sales (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 21, 2015
A typical day of work consisted on making calls to handle advertising campaigns for small and medium size businesses. I learned a lot about developing interpersonal relationships with clients while providing excellent consultation. On average, we would be required to handle a certain objective for each month. The hardest part of the job is the ability to overcome objections and the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I helped a business continue to grow.
Fine for entry level, can't do anything else with it.
Ad Production (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 30, 2013
Typical day is get to your cube, clock-in, produce-produce-produce, clock-out. Generally the co-workers are pleasant. With a few exceptions, leadership (team seniors on up) is fairly unreliable. The hardest part is trying to produce the amount of ads at the expected quality. The amount seems to be the most important. This is just one of those places where you get in and get out. No room for a career here.
Pros
casual dress code
Cons
low pay, poor leadership, not a "creative" environment
Great work life balance
Operations Manager - National Digital Operations (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAAugust 12, 2015
My experience in working at YP was very pleasant. Projects were regularly popping up which created opportunities for growth and new work experience. I was never held to one specific duty which eliminated the day to day monotony that is often found in a corporate environment.
Pros
community breakroom that is both tranquil and stimulating, depending upon which area you are visiting
Cons
east coast hours
Cushy job but not worth it
Bilingual routing specialist (Former Employee) –  Blue Bell, PADecember 2, 2015
This job was not bad but not great. The pay was wonderful but the job itself was boring. I sat in front of dual computer screens for 8 hours a day 5 days a week reviewing print ads in English and/or French. It got boring fast. There also didn't seem like much room for advancement.
Pros
Good coworkers, good pay, not too stressful
Cons
Short lunch, very rigid schedule, repetitive tasks
Yellow Book USA
Media Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 23, 2015
Yellow Book USA was a great company to work for. The skills you learn about face to face selling are great in current and future endeavors. A typical sales rep will call on 50-100 clients per day and visit 5-10 cleints per day as well. Yellow Book USA is a very fast paced enviroment and teaches you to use time management and organizational skills to the best of your abilities.
Flexible and great work/life balance
Graphics Quality Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 13, 2015
Managed workflow process and day-to-day employee engagement and training. The environment was enjoyable, but some departments were not as connected as they could be due to the natural disconnect between locations. I learned a lot about how to apply Six Sigma processes in an office environment.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
growth, stability
Productive work environment
Distributor, Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PANovember 12, 2013
I enjoyed working here its a great company which involves consumer services , time management and channeled my intra personal skills. i learned how to work in a fast paced environment whilst working with a deadline. management were kind to the workers
Pros
free transportation
Cons
lots of lifting and walking
Challenging workplace with great coworkers
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Blue Bell, PAMarch 17, 2014
The overall "feel" of the job was do less with more in a challenging environment. My co-workers were the best part of the job, always willing to help and teach when needed, and they were all very supportive.
Pros
co-workers, compensation, flexibility
Cons
stressful do less with more
The best job I have ever worked at.
Temp (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia PASeptember 19, 2012
The Yellow pages group was one of the best jobs that I have ever worked. It was a data entry position. Keying in contacts of different reps for different businesses. The office was lively and the co-workers was very easy to get a long with.
Pros
great pay, great co-workers steady work pace
Cons
management