Yellowstone National Park Employee Reviews

Housekeeping
Xanterra Housekeeper, WY (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYDecember 15, 2017
We started off the day by doing group stretches.
went to our rooms and cleaned.
made beds, vacuum, clean surfaces, stock towels and add extra blankets.
Pros
nice boss and inspectors
Cons
exhausting, low pay
work place
housekeeping/dishwasher (Former Employee) –  WyomingNovember 30, 2017
my day would start at 8 and id work til 4 I was asked to change jobs for being to slow so I became a dishwasher there id go to work around either start around 2 or 4 and got off normally at 12. my manager for dishwashing was an amazing manager but my manager from house keeping was not and would accuse me of false things. the hardest part was being pregnate and trying to keep up with other house keepers and the easiest was dishwashing.
Challenging work with ideal social and free time
HOUSEKEEPING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Grant Village, YNPNovember 9, 2017
I love working housekeeping at Yellowstone. The weekends are perfect escapes from all thoughts, and the fellow staff members are there for a good time, just like you!
work hard play hard
Server assistant (Former Employee) –  WyomingNovember 7, 2017
worked double shifts everyday. Pay was low. Beautiful place to work. Fun place to play after work................................................................You have to pay for room and board
Pros
I was in Yellowstone
Cons
low pay, work double shifts every day
Great working environment
Waitress (Former Employee) –  WyomingOctober 11, 2017
My duties included greet customers, take food orders, prepare food, bring food and drinks to the tables and take payment and make change.
The working environment was pleasant, supervisors are very helpful.
This is a very easy atmosphere to work for.
Server (Current Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYSeptember 19, 2017
I mainly came out here for the experience of being in Yellowstone, but quickly loved the job and the people here. It is very easy to make friends with the people here and you get to meet people from all over the world which is great. The typical work day was pretty relaxed and easy going, the hardest part of this job would have to be learning all of the standards here but after you get used to them the job just lows easily from day to day. The most enjoyable part of this job would have to be making all of the friends I have made here and meeting and working with people from other countries. The management team here is pretty amazing and knowledgeable and really seem to care about making their employees happy here.
A place to stay while exploring the Wilderness
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Grant Village, VASeptember 12, 2017
Yellowstone National Park has a poor employee retention rate that they'll pay people extra for staying their full length of their signed contract. This isn't necessarily because of bad work place experience, but from people leaving for various reasons. Yellowstone hires a wide variety of employees and a fair number from out of the country. Some people get homesick, some have jobs or careers they leave for, some are only there for a free time exploring the park and leave when they are done. For those who stay to the full experience, the jobs can get a little stressful at times, but you are given fair and adequate time off and access to facilities to relax in. And if not that, there is the whole Yellowstone park to explore on your off time.
Pros
Beautiful place to work
Cons
Strict time-table, Stressful and busy workplace
Overcharged for Room and Board, Poor environment.
LINE COOK (Former Employee) –  Old FaithfulAugust 9, 2017
400/mo to live, limited to 40 hours a week. Didn't make enough money to save. Loved my managers and co-workers, but Xanterra is just an evil company as a whole.
Pros
Great connection opportunities, great scenery.
Cons
No free food, poor living conditions.
Work enviornment
Dining Room Server (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYMarch 28, 2017
This job required a fast-paced work ethic. Each day we served hundreds of customers from all over the world. I learned to balance many responsibilities at once and work with other members of our team. The hardest part of the job was that the company overworked their employees, sometimes requiring well over 40+ hours per week. The most enjoyable part was the strong community environment between coworkers.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Work Hours
free time was really cool
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTJanuary 18, 2017
i traveled with my co-workers around Yellowstone National park, and we were playing ping pong every day tonight. i can play ping pong very well and volleyball.
Best setting for a job ever
Bell Captain (Current Employee) –  Old Faithful wyomingJanuary 3, 2017
I worked in Yellowstone for 20 years, it changed my life. I grew up in upstate New York so moving west was a big deal. Bad employee dining hall experience. Moral was an issue for majority of staff. Low staffing meant a lot of work for a few people.
Pros
Backyard is Yellowstone
Cons
don't pay employees all that well
Worse job ever
Casher (Former Employee) –  Mammoth, WYOctober 1, 2016
I worked at terrace grill. The day I left I found out that my friends were being forced to work 6 days open to close. So not much time to see park . Pay is lowest it can get management sucks will writes you up for anything. Most people quite or transferd to a differing place, in tell they put a freez on all transfers. You also can be fired at anytime the Manigment wants...so try to stay on good side. Non of this is the same as other departments so I will go back one day but never to fast food again
Pros
People u work with are great
Cons
Manigment is not good
Nice national park
Kitchen Crew (Former Employee) –  West Thumb, WYJuly 3, 2016
I am glad that I was given the chance to visit Yellowstone National Park, it was a neat landscape that was fun to hike on my days off. However, I probably will not work at the restaurant there again.
Fun job with opportunity for advancement
Human Resources Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Xanterra Parks and ResortsJune 23, 2016
I love my job with the Yellowstone Co-op Employee Recreation Program. There is no typical day at work. I am responsible for creating and executing recreation programs by delegating activities among myself and my two coordinators. I have learned productive management techniques and improved my backcountry skill-set. The most difficult part of my job is the employee living portion. I dislike the Xanterra employee housing situation, but look past it because of the beautiful people I live with. There are few parts of my job that I do not enjoy. I would rather not have office shifts, but it is my job and I put my best effort into the administrative things in order to ensure fantastic outdoor experiences and recreation events.
Fun
Room Attendant/Night Porter (Former Employee) –  Lake Village, WYMay 22, 2016
I learned lots of stuff about being a housekeeper and about the history of the park. My manager was awesome and I had a great time while I was there. May go there again someday.
Pros
Got to enjoy the park on my days off. Free tours for employees.
Cons
Bad internet and cell service.
An amazing expirence
Pantry Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Canyon Village, WYJanuary 13, 2016
Working at Yellowstone National Park was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I worked long hours in the Pantry but very much enjoyed my job and the company of my fellow employees. I made everything from salads and desserts as well as doing inventory paperwork and stocking produce. I also loved that Xanterra allowed us two consecutive days off every week to explore the park.
Pros
living in Yellowstone
Cons
the position was only seasonal
Life changing experience in Nature
Environmental Intern (Former Employee) –  Wyoming and MontanaNovember 16, 2015
It was working on the field all day with great team leaders and Beautiful nature. Got the opportunity to see a lot of wildlife and see nature in its most pure form. The hiking that were required for the job were a challenge that I enjoyed experiencing.
Fantastic place to work and play
Wrangler (Former Employee) –  Gardiner, MTOctober 29, 2015
We worked long, hard hours, but it was immensely rewarding. I leaned that I can be a leader as well as how to harness & drive a team of horses. My boss(s) were very interested in how all the employees were doing, the were very safety aware, but also fostered a friendly work environment. The hardest part of this job was learning how to deal with the stress; people could (& were) hurt, being asked repetitious questions daily and the general worry regarding the public's safety. The most enjoyable part of my job was that I was working & living in Yellowstone National park, riding horses daily & seeing the wide variety of wildlife.
Pros
Working in Yellowstone National Park
Cons
Seasonl employment
Dream job
Wrangler, Mammoth Springs (Xanterra) (Former Employee) –  Mammoth Hot SpringsOctober 9, 2015
Greatest place on earth to visit and work in. Was a dream job getting to ride horses around all day and teach people about the world's first national park.
Beautiful scenery and very agreeable staff and managers
Floor Crew Custodian (Current Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYAugust 25, 2015
During a typical day at work I would drive to whatever area of the park was assigned to me to clean that day, and depending on what type of flooring was in that particular area, I would assess what type of equipment I would need to use, then I would clean and polish the area in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of the job were the helpful and agreeable members of the floor crew and getting to see all the different areas of Yellowstone.
Pros
Meals provided by company
Cons
Compensation was a little low