Yelp Employee Reviews

No structure amongst employees/management, poor pay
Customer Service Representative Eat24 (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 18, 2016
This company is laid back and very little stress as far as the Eat24 department goes. I mean super laid back...people were drinking on they're shift, smoking pot on lunch and a fist fight erupted one day. The floor managers show favoritism to the people in they're clique. If your looking for a career this is not the place to advance. If your fresh out of high school and just looking to pay your phone bill and money to blow on random stuff this place is your ideal job. The pay is minimum wage. In my personal experience it was not a company that I could advance in because there were no core values set by the employer and no advancement opportunities to further my career within the company. It does though have fully stocked kitches with every drink and snack you can imagine and the 7th floor has baristas that serve several different beverages for free along with fully stocked kitchen to make your own sandwiches. Very beautiful building in the financial/shopping district.
Pros
Free lunch, video games, low stress
Cons
Poor salary, poor management, no career growth
N/a
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2017
Fun place to work. Keeps you on your toes. Learned a lot about sales and good communication. Management is good when you are matched with the right person. The Culture here is relax but fast. Hardest part for me was being on the same page with my manager. She wasn't the right match for me and I tried to change manager but she never signed off on my change. Over all it wouldn't have been so hard if my manager was there to help me. Everyday was something new, the job was a joy of it's own.
Interesting atmosphere and culture but poor management
Infrastructure Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 1, 2016
Too much time is spent attending to incidents or working around incidents from other teams. Many managers are new/first-time managers and lack the necessary skills to be effective at their jobs while others are handi-capped by the company's culture of super hands off management. Morale is generally poor-whatevs.
Pros
Free lunches on Fridays, free healthy snacks and drinks
Cons
poor management, poor planning, highly inefficient work environment
Great People, Not So Great Job
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 21, 2016
Yelp is a great company. Employees are treated well with a fully stocked kitchen for breakfast and lunch, great health benefits, and great people. The pay is definitely on the lower side. The most negative aspect was the job itself. The day to day is strictly cold calling businesses to sell the advertising program. It can be very monotonous. Also many of the business owners are busy and do not want to speak to you. It's a hard job to find enjoyment in.
Pros
Free breakfast and lunch. Great Culture and people
Cons
cold calling
Sales in a very competitive work environment
Account Executive/Sales (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 23, 2016
Yelp is a great company and I am lucky to have experience working at Yelp.

The account executive role in sales is very competitive. You make a high number of sales calls per day, trying to sell advertising packages to small, local businesses. You must be able to consult and engage with, educate, and successfully sell Yelp advertising to business owners, who may be unwilling to speak to you on the phone or reply any emails or voicemails.
You must know how to quickly think on your feet, and recommend products quickly to suit client needs by handling the different objections that they will throw at you.
Good for working towards goals, talking to people all day long, and if you have a passion for small local businesses.
Pros
Fully stocked kitchen, no extra work hours
Cons
Cold calls all day, competitive within teams
Great people, not a great role
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2017
If you are okay with a high volume, cold-calling job than this is the place to do it. Great people and benefits. Management is very young, which is fun but at times unprofessional.
Fun and fast paced
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 11, 2016
Great and fun place to work but the opportunities for advancement are poor at the Chicago location.

Co-Workers are great and the management team is very fun.
Pros
breaks, ping pong, outings
Cons
No opportunities for advancement
Great place to work. Best years of my life.
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 5, 2016
Simply put, I love working at Yelp. The training is unparalleled, and the people are amazing. There are several upper level sales opportunities that have clear paths to get to. Unlike many other sales positions, it is unclear how to get promoted, however it seems as though all managers' goals are to get their reps promoted.

The recipe to success at this company is simple: work hard, be the obvious choice, and be a team player.

The hardest part of this job is the work itself, however Yelp is quite clear about what our average level of work is. Cold-calling is never easy, especially when dealing with small business owners, however there are several tools at our fingertips to improve our sales acumen. As long as your goal (as a sales rep) is to genuinely help a small business, there is no reason why you wouldn't succeed.

All in all, would highly recommend. This is one of the few companies that allows college grads to develop a lifelong career with some hard work and dedication to the role.
Pros
Free lunches, great people, good beer, gym stipend, awesome health benefits
Cons
Cold calling, but it's what you signed up for!
Great people, tough job
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 7, 2016
70+ outbound cold calls daily to SMB's in a assigned territory. Setting 15-20 minute appointments with clients to discuss and pitch the Yelp platform. These BO's already have Yelp pages that most likely have traffic to that listing. Pitch and close the prospects. Get to quota, make some decent cash.

However, you must follow the process and be a quick learner. It's easy to fall into habits and not grind it out. Stand up. Take each call with a clean slate, but don't be afraid to mess up and quickly try out a new method again.

Yelp can be a great place for a couple years, but it's a daily grind and not for the weak minded.
Pros
Free drinks, snacks, good benefits
Cons
Pay, job itself, not a ton of room for growth. Stuck inside sales.
Great first sales job
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 5, 2017
Yelp is a great place to learn how to do sales well. A typical day consists of vetting 10-15 new leads, making 65+ calls, setting appointments, and pitching at least one business a day. If you want a job where you can work smarter and not harder, look elsewhere. It's incredibly hard to game the system at Yelp. No matter how good you are at the job, you still have to put in a large amount of work to hit your numbers. The pay is decent, but the benefits are great.
Pros
Great Healthcare
Cons
Incredibly monotonous

Want to know more about Yelp?

Ask a question
Great place to work with a startup vibe.
Elite Account Executive (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 3, 2016
Great company to work for with a startup culture. Interacted with my peer on a daily basis to create a strategy to bring in sales for the online food ordering application.
Pros
Benefits, Free Snacks and Pool table
Cons
Compensation
Free food only plus, good for your resume
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 29, 2017
It's a cool place for getting some experience but not somewhere I would start a career. They will hire anyone to fill a spot. No professionalism at all. From managers to customer service reps. Reasons why customers disliked the service. I wouldn't recommend working here overall.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Horrible hygiene from coworkers, no professionalism in the work place, basically a big party everyday
Overall a great experience!
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 7, 2016
The job itself isn't the greatest (phone sales). However, the culture of the company and those you work with are great! Really great place for people in their twenties but not a long term career path for many. Free food all day was nice. They pay for your gym membership and great health care benefits.
Fantastic work environment//terrible at preparing you to be successful
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 1, 2016
Similar to plenty of other reviews I have read, tons of kids fresh out of college who have no idea that there ARE better options out there. They lure you in with all the free food and music and games and stuff but dont tell you about the cold calling and if you dont hit these metrics on the head then you will be shown the door. Managers may "act" like they care about you or your home life but at the end of the day you are just a number. training structure is way out of order. They throw you to the wolves the second week on the job and then give you information in a training 2-3 weeks later that would have increased your odds of getting a appointment/sale. Lots of tasks to accomplish on a daily basis but not enough time to complete them all and then you are hit with the no excuses card when you are not pulling your weight.

On the flip side, fantastic place to work, free food all day, game rooms and music, lots of stuff nearby.

Great for younger kids with no responsibilities!!
Pros
free food, music, dress code, healthcare
Cons
pay, training, management, trainers, mentor/mentee?
Supportive and fun climate in a demanding role.
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 8, 2016
This is definitely a work hard play hard position so if you don't have that kind of work ethic, this isn't for you. But with the extensive training, fun atmosphere and supportive work environment, it's hard to now work hard.
Pros
Fully stocked kitchen, stress relief resources like ping pong tables, lounges, couches, TV. Upward mobility for those who work for it. Close knit
Cons
It's basically cold calling, phone sales is tough
It's a pretty OK place to work
User Operations Associate - Content Moderation (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 9, 2016
Yelp is pretty cool.I would recommend it to someone if there was a job opening they were into.

Great free snacks. Not so great compared to other companies in the area, but definitely above average.

Beer! I've never liked hanging out at an office after hours before. I do that somewhat regularly here.

Flexible Hours with the option to work from home when necessary.

Sweet health benefits and they're pretty generous with stock even for us lowly user ops workers.

Average good-ish time off/sick time

Overall company good about providing important updates

Unfortunately none of this is enough to make up for the crushing boredom that eventually sets in with moderating content. They tell you straight up when you start not to really expect this to go anywhere. It's kinda sad since we have a lot of talented, intelligent people on the team wasting their smarts. I can feel myself getting dumber from all the terrible punctuation and block paragraphs that I have to read all day long. Go on though, do it a year or two and then move along. It's a great job as one of your first out of college. You don't have to wear real clothes or show up at a specific time and that's all real real nice.

"Fun" environment for the most part. Though in our particular department there is a lot of forced fun that really gets irritating for a cynic like me. It's kinda silly since they actually advertise the position as being for introverts. It's a little tone deaf. Like the time they had us spin some Harry Potter sorting hat for assigned seats at lunch. Yep... actual adults arranged that forced
  more... mingling situation with a group full of introverts. They also recently instituted music on Friday afternoons and it is the worst.

There are a lot of management things that make the job really stressful. But I think I mostly just get petty and mad because I am so so bored.

You'll have fun for a while doing this job probably. But it really does show you a bad side of humanity. There are some awful opinions that I was not used to coming across. That can be tough. But it's nothing awful like if you were moderating beheadings content for that popular video upload website.
Pros
Food, Healthcare, Flexible Schedule, Remote Work
Cons
Poor communication, bad department specific culture
Great culture - terrible job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2016
The culture at Yelp is great. Lots of perks in the office and usually everyone is cool. But managers tend to breathe down your neck and instead of working with you to get better they just tell you that you better work harder.

There is no acknowledging that bad days happen - instead it's 100% you for not working hard enough.
Great Workplace, Ok Job
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 5, 2016
No one likes cold-calling, but that's what you're going to be doing every day. Yes, you get the freedom to churn the whole sales process from open calling to closing, but managing that while handling objections is a tough sell. Co-workers are friendly, and management could be held to another standard. Hard to differentiate managers as friend or micromanaging sticklers, because people move up quick in this job. It can be very emotionally draining and dry, so mentality is everything in this job.
Pros
Free snacks and basic meal ingredients
Cons
Pay is way below other places
It's an alright entry level job
Advertising Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 2, 2017
Yelp was fun when I first graduated college but the appeals wears down. They promote their fun culture, which it is, but if you're not good at the job don't be surprised if you become alienated.
Pros
Fully stocked kitchens, game rooms
Cons
Extremely stressful, very clicky
Celebrate for your team and others around you when someone makes a sale
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 31, 2016
This is my first sale job and overall experience has been positive.You will go into training and be expected to learn and implement feedback. With each month that goes by the expectations will go up. It will seem fun in the beginning with the games, free coffee, open cafeteria, and a keg for after hours but it gets old and you just want to go home and relax. You will dial 70 + call a day and be expected to hit 2.50 hours talk time. The job can be high stress at times and if you close a deal directors, managers, and other people will cheer your wins. At times if your not closing it can feel disappointing and you feel forgotten and question if this is the job for you. Going into this job you have to have a thick skin, implement feedback, work hard, adjust to things that might not go your way because this is sales.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
large output of cold calling on the phone/ must hit metrics & pay is low

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Yelp. Our community is ready to answer.