YES Prep Public Schools

YES Prep Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

If You Like To Work Alone, This Is a Fit For You...
AP English Language Instructor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 15, 2016
For the most part, the school district has established a great culture. However, that wears off about two-three weeks after you've joined the team and they've thrown you in the classroom. They expect extremely rigorous lesson plans, so be prepared to spend some nights and weekends doing that as well as grading the multitudes of papers and work you assign. People do tend to watch over your shoulder a lot, so be careful what you do and who you share information with. I want to feel like a productive team and this job is for a person who is ok eating lunch alone in the metaphorical cafeteria.
Pros
good pay
Cons
14+ hour days, picking up the slack of other absent teachers, dealing with delusional administration
Great Leaders
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2016
It was not until I left YES Prep Public Schools that I understood that it is a great place to work (in comparison to other places) IF you are under the right leadership. YES Prep Public Schools is more diverse than it has ever been before which is a good thing. They very much have roles and campuses at which minorities will thrive at and others where minorities will not. Overall, what I do appreciate about my experience with YES Prep is you will grow as a leader, as a professional and as a person. Some of the skills that I still use to this day are habits that I developed while working in the YES environment which is very high performing.

A typical day was putting out fires, as you will wear many hats working at YES. Which makes the days eventful and never the same! The hardest part of the job was accepting that without an Education (teaching) background, growth within the organization would be very hard. Some of the positions are dead-end jobs. I know this is something they were working on, so I am sure it has improved. YES Prep is also a place, as many that if you are in with the right people, you will reach much success within the organization, with minimal experience.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that no matter what role you worked in, you saw the differences your efforts made in the lives of students that attended YES Prep. If passion drives you, you will enjoy working for YES Prep.
Pros
Summer hours, Dress, Bonuses, Cell phones
Cons
No growth for non-instructional roles
Productive and Fun Workplace
reading intervention teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX 77074June 2, 2016
YES Prep is a family oriented workplace and I absolutely love working for this institution. It is very fast paced and can be a little stressful at times but their is always support.
Pros
Great culture, loving atmosphere, lots of perks
Cons
long work hours, stressful, slow advancement, minimum salary
Strong culture, challenging but rewarding work.
Former teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 11, 2016
YES Prep has taught me more than I could have ever expected. I have the opportunity to work with passionate and committed individuals on a daily basis. The intentional investment in development of students and staff is extremely motivating to be around.

With that said, the work is hard. During my time as a teacher, I arrived to the school around 7am and left around 5:30pm. From there, I often graded papers or lesson planned after arriving home. The more years I was in the classroom, the more I was able to find my balance, but in my first year specifically, I was challenged to grow in every way imaginable. Luckily, I was never left without support. From my instructional coach, to my dean of instruction, to my course leader, to fellow teachers on my grade level, I always felt comfortable reaching out for support. I also appreciated that many times support was offered or given without me always knowing what area to ask for help in.

Overall, the most enjoyable part of the job for me is always the interaction and relationship I'm encouraged to build with my students and families, but being surrounded by a like-minded and committed community of staff is an added bonus. As a teacher, I also appreciated that YES Prep seeks constant feedback. Anytime I sought rationale or provided feedback, I felt my administration were quick to respond and truly cared about listening to what I had to say. The relationship with administration always felt open and honest.
Pros
Meaningful work, Strong culture, Good staff support and training, Opportunity to grow as a leader
Cons
Work-life balance can be challenging to establish
Great Place to Grow Professionally & Personally
Former Teacher - Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 8, 2016
YES Prep is a great place for people who are passionate about education, service, and social justice.

This is the hardest job you will ever love. It is a challenging but meaningful commitment to providing the equitable educational opportunities that every child deserves.

Working at YES taught me a great deal professionally. I learned about time management, the delicate lessons of work life rhythm, curriculum and instruction, classroom management, and leadership. I learned how to be a better team mate and team leader, working with adults, parents, and students to accomplish our common goals. I worked along side passionate individuals who each believed in our mission. Although we didn't always agree on the best way to do things or the best route to a particular outcome, we all believed in the outcome. Personally, it was a great growth experience for me. I learned a great deal about humility, my own strengths and weaknesses, my beliefs about others, and education. I learned more from my students and their parents than I ever thought I would.

This is a difficult job, it requires a great deal from you. There will be times that you feel the work is tough and you don't have enough time. You will have times where you feel like your work is overwhelming. You will experience fatigue.

But you keep going. The staff is there to support you. Your voice matters. You can be an advocate for changes in your environment for the better, and you can make a difference in your life and the lives around you.

No job is perfect, not even YES Prep. But they are consistently working to
  more... make changes to the environment that would make it an even better place to work.  less
Pros
Supportive, Professional Development, Like-minded coworkers, Teacher Voice, Curriculum & Instructional Support, Leadership programs, transparency, mission driven, clear teacher evaluation systems, discipline systems across the campus.
Cons
Longer days compared to other schools, Every campus experience is different, coverage can be tricky, and you may experience teacher turnover.
Long hours, many after hours commitments
Instructor (Former Employee) –  HoustonJuly 16, 2015
You can't do this with a family. General days are 9 hours plus commute. High turnover rate on employees, ask the percentage. Good pay, but big responsibilities. There is a reason. Very tough for first time teachers. High stress. Co workers were having migraines and heart palpitations due to stress of job. You are responsible for everyone else. Supervisory persons blame you when a problem occurs. They tell you to have 'fierce conversations' with coworkers but require you have a best friend at work. No second chances if you mess up. Must convert to culture.
Pros
Service work
Cons
No life, stress, no second chance
Learned a lot, time consuming
7th grade Math Enrichment Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 18, 2014
This is definitely not the place to work if you have a family and you actually want to spend time with them. However, I have learned a lot that will help me continue to grow as a professional and as an educator. The most enjoyable part of my job was collaborating with different people. The hardest part of my job was dealing with all the micro management and trying to meet expectations in all 3 domains of the IER. Most of my co-workers were recent college grades 22-24 years of age, single with no children. Sometimes it was a bit of challenge working with them. Overall it was a great learning experience.
Pros
partner teachers
Cons
short breaks, long hours
Great place for single, recent grads.
CASE Grant Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 19, 2013
You are married to your work. Seventy hour work weeks. This place is great and does many wonderful things for the community. You will enjoy the people you work with and the culture that has been established. Again, work/life balance is very dificult.
Excellent opportunity for growth and recognition
Teacher and Data Czar (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 3, 2013
YES Prep is hands-down the best place to go if you want to make an impact on education. Founded by a visionary and sustained by a dedicated staff, I don't think I could have asked for a better place to "learn the ropes" coming out of college and into the real world.

At YES Prep, I learned both how to teach very effectively and how to manage myself (and later, others) to most effectively use time and resources in pursuit of long-term goals.
Pros
excellent employee evaluation system and professional development, motivated coworkers
Cons
long hours, poor maternity leave policy
Technology Department Review
Enterprise Application Developer II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 11, 2012
Great working environment.

Great opportunity for learning, growing and developing your existing and new skill sets.

Scrum in the technology department with the team.

Rest of the day is programming.
Productive and fun place to work.
Front Office Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasSeptember 5, 2012
Nothing about my job is hard. Everyone is a team player. Working with students brings hapiness to the families when these students graduate.
Great culture and great service to the community.
CASE Grant Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 8, 2012
A typical day at work for my position starts at 9:30 and ends at 6:30 in the evening. My day consists of phone calls and data entry to ensure compliance with the state of Texas. The work environment is great because every single person gives it %110. The high work ethic is very contagiuous.
Pros
lots of holidays.
Cons
lots of weekend commitments.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YES Prep Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6