Yeshiva University Employee Reviews

It's a professional atmosphere
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2016
I do a variety of things in a typical day - mostly raise money for the University. I learned fundraising. My co-workers are very nice and interesting. The hardest part is the interruptions. The most enjoyable part is knowing that the money raised is going to a great cause.
Amazing
Student Work Aide/Registrar's Office (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 14, 2016
Best time ever working , from the students to my co-workers. Best experience by far. Competitive work wages benefits close to my previous hime address.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Short hours
The scientific research that was ongoing made this a very intersting place to work
Administrative Secretary VII (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 13, 2016
Doctors and Researchers made our job not only a job but a learning experience; always willing to take the time to explain their studies to us and what they were trying to achieve in the way of public health.

Fast paced; very important decisions to be made quickly each day no time to ponder, an employee here had to be a self starter and hit the ground running each morning, if you couldn't keep up this was not the place for you.
Pros
Freindly, Academic environement
Cons
lots of labs in the building, very protected but still health concerning
I volenteered there and I learned alot about the different types of food people eat
Food Preparer and Server (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 9, 2015
Prepare tables for breakfast and lunch
Serve food
Clean cafeteria, tables and chairs
Clean up Kitchen area

I had a lot of fun with my coworkers, and staff. I learned about the way there food had to be handled on a daily basis.
Also I got the day off during there Holiday time.
I would do it again, only with pay.
Pros
I enjoyed the food very much and the people
Cons
no money
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 4, 2015
Learning new things from experienced colleagues. Good rapport with management. Room for growth within the company. Some co-workers are very helpful in this department
Pros
Classes offered regularly for improving your skills
Cons
not enough breaks
Great place to work!
Assistant Registrar - Graduate Programs (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 28, 2015
A great place to work with a supportive, and very down to earth management team. Management and staff have a great working relationship. The work can be stressful at times, but being able to laugh and joke with my colleagues makes the work day go by faster.
Pros
Supportive managment team
Cons
Office bureaucracy
It was very exciting place to work
Secretary III (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 13, 2015
Yeshiva was a place you could call your second home everyday there was something new to learn within my co-workers and the entire University
Pros
they gave you the satisfaction to be at ease
Jewish all boy University
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2015
I usually worked on my own. I did not have a supervisor micromanaging my time so I felt like the independent adult that I am.
Pros
Jewish university equals a lot of Jewish holidays
Pleasant environment
FACILITIES SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2015
This organization offered excellent compensation and benefits to its employees. Yeshiva has a strong familial culture.
Pros
Supportive environment
Cons
no cons to report
Productive and fulfilling
Psychoeducational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 2, 2015
Guiding inner city children and helping them to better their educational career. Helping to guide and nourish these cj=hildren had been very fulfilling.
University geared to high standards in education
Executive/Personal Assistant to Vice President (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 21, 2015
High energy staff trying to make a difference in the world. Most challenging part of my job is trying to keep my boss focused and on time for meetings. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with dedicated people.
Relaxed place to work.
Interim Assistant Registrar for Graduate Programs (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 1, 2015
Part of the reason I love what I do is because there is no such think as a typical day. One day, I could be spending half the day in meetings with Deans, and spend the rest creating schedules, assigning rooms, or transferring credits. Another day I could be entering graduation applications, or awarding degrees. The only constant is assisting the students, staff and faculty of the university.

Management respects their staff. They've created a supportive environment that allows everyone to do their jobs with little to no stress.
Excellent employer to work for.
Retired / Health care coordinator. (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 15, 2015
My day at work was meeting with clients who had an appointment with me,Provide on going counseling. I also had the pleasure of working with staff who were dedicated to their and care for their client. Positive management who were committed in the client care.The hardest part of my job was when a client expired.The most enjoyable is seeing clients health improving and not relapsing to drugs.
Loved working for this employer
Senior Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington aveFebruary 2, 2015
This was my first job fresh out of college.
I was treated with so much respect.
My work was valued and respected.
My opinion mattered.
Great workplace to gain experience
Senior Multimedia Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 23, 2014
A typical workday at Yeshiva University can include a variety of issues. There may be days where we have many tickets to support. Your work week varies throughout the semester. It isn't your typical support position. The varying work schedules and responsibilities create a variety of work flows. The hardest part of the job is time management. You can get lost in your work easily when multitasking. I find the holidays, vacations and varying schedules the best part of the job.
Pros
jewish and american holidays
Cons
work load can be unpredictable
professional and educated atmosphere
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYDecember 15, 2014
An all girls school with exciting and educated young women willing and able to learn, from all over the world.
Great place to work excellent management and staff
Electrical Maintenance Helper (Former Employee) –  New York, New YorkNovember 12, 2014
Best part of the job was learning something new everyday and applying it as soon as possible. Great staff to help learn about everything in the maintenance and electrical field.
Pros
good pay and room for advancement
The Best job environment I have had........thus far
Secretary II, Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2014
My experience at Yeshiva University has been one of learning, achieving, acceptance and true joy in most of my experiences as well as compassion. The diversity experience was a great experience. I learned and gained so much respect for the different cultures that I was able to come into contact with at Yeshiva. No doubt I feel I have worked for the best bosses ever at Yeshiva. I am sorry to have to leave...........
Pros
diversity
Cons
expenses
Putrefying, stultifying environment caused by pervaisive poor management which has been self-perpetuating for a long time.
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2014
The irony between what Yeshiva University advertises itself as and what it is like to work this is astounding. YU pitches itself as a University Education with a human (Jewish) touch. But the work environment does just the opposite. People who go in with useful marketable skills. Over time, employees loose the ability to reason, to be motivated about their professions, and thus become useless to society, should they lose their jobs, which ultimately will happen.

How could it be like this? The upper management lives in its own narcissistic bubble. Think of Dr Sues' "Yertle the Turtle" meets "The emperor who has no clothes". At the highest levels of management, ill-advised hermetic decisions are made and promulgated down without regard for those who have to carry them out.

For example, in order to meet largely artificial deadlines, contractors had been called in. Often they do a poor job because they are managed by those who don't know what they are doing and are not held accountable. When they leave, employees are expected to take things over and largely they can't because they are ill-trained and ill-equipped to do so. Since they didn't have any say in what was done they aren't that motivated.

Let me give an example here. I once had a manager where if I said, "let's go right" he'd say "no, we'll go left". If I say lets try this, he'd say, "no I think that is better" and so on. In many cases the differences the two were inconsequential. After a while, I would think, why bother offering a solution. Why put any emotional investment in any of this no matter how inconsequential?
  more...

But the brain is a use it or lose it kind of thing. I routinely asked software developers if they had any automated tests any of their code, and to my great surprise, one said "I used to do that in a job before I started working here." She said this as a matter of fact not as a criticism. And if she started doing this practice on her own at YU, her manager wouldn't have understood it, let along be supportive of it. Tasks git passed down but it is very hard for idea to percolate up. So after a while people just stop trying.

A personal pervasive annoying habit I would see is long email chains of useless information. For example, I would get email from one for the managers asking everyone in our group to fill out our timecards or some other routine thing (which means the manager has no idea or is too lazy to find out). One or more members replying back to everyone compliance. In other emails there would be a chain of 3 days long with 10 people and 3 managers on it to find out such a routine thing as who was responsible for a project. (No doubt this was one of those things that a contractor set up and on one then wants to be responsible for).

I would often get emails that start off "Can you <do some unmotivated or possibly ill-advised thing>?" Leaving aside understanding the difference between "can", "could", "would" and "should" which might be expected at an institution of higher learning, I'd often would have to try to figure out from the proffered *solution* what the problem was, and then if successful there try to figure out whether this was an acceptable solution (let alone a good one). As I said, there isn't a spirit of collaboration or desire to engage people in order get to a good solution.

I'll close with one last story. I was waiting in the lobby where a number of other managers were waiting for the elevator. One of them says, "Did anyone push the button?" The answer was clear because the button has a light on it which was on. That person pushes the button and says "Nothing gets done around here unless *I* press the button." That person was the president of the university. So is it any wonder, that employee morale is low?

For my part, I just took the stairs that day.
Pros
lots of jewish holidays off
Cons
lots of unnecessary off-hours work caused by things breaking which could have been avoided
Run your own job
Peer Tutor in Chemistry and Physics (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2014
Basically found students to tutor and submitted hours.
Pay was not so great, hardest part was working out my own schedule to flow with students needs

Yeshiva University Reviews by Location