YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago Employee Reviews

Review
Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 6, 2018
The YMCA was a great experience to start your career not a place a last career. The pay is less than you would make outside the YMCA. Good location in the city
fun workplace
YMCA Drop-in Childcare (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2018
fun workplace with friendly children and staff. sometimes fast paces especially on the weekends but weeknights are usually slow. love the staff around here and my colleagues
Don't do it!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 21, 2017
Terrible place to work. No leadership, no strategy, no recognition, poor compensation, miserable, depressing culture. Most upper level managers have little or no experience and are out for themselves. One is either "in" the club or "out." Turnover is extremely high and mission is inconsistent with YUSA. Those with any real experience or talent are perceived as a threat to leadership and will not last long.
It,s a Chicago thing
Customer Service & Housing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 14, 2017
CMYMCA is a fine non for profit group with it's heart in the right place, but like many they prefer to stay the course and turn a blind eye to internal issues and focus on their public persona.
Pros
you get to help people
Cons
not a lot of advancement ops.
YMCA can be great
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2017
YMCA of metropolitan Chicago is a fast paced entity that can be great when great people lead. There is a killed or be killed mentalitly amongst the management that is scary beyond belief.
Pros
comraderie
Cons
questionable management
It was a tempory position.
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 2, 2017
I worked hard everyday to prove my worth towards the company, manager. After two years of dedicated service, I was asked to resign for "Business Reasons", which remains beyond my comprehension today.
Pros
Family involvement
Cons
Lack of management communication
Great non- for profit organization
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 12, 2017
I've resumed numerous roles here and its honestly a great place to work . Because it is a non for profit organization the wages are low and we don't receive raises.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Low wages
okay
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2017
THe job itself wasn't too bad but the environment and other staff were intolerable and typically too lazy to run activities. Main aspects of the job are preventing child abuse, allowing for inclusivity in activities and making sure that everyone is safe and accounted for.
A nice place to build character and become a better employee
Swim instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 28, 2017
Working at the south side YMCA in Chicago comes with many ups and down. Management was a huge problem at the YMCA and result of that as a employee i step up and many occasions and took responsibility and work long hours. Overall I have become a better person and met many nice coworkers.
Pros
nice salary, free membership, nice coworkers
Cons
rude members, poor management
Easy
Sports and Recreation Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2017
I would make lesson plans for the classes that I would be teaching. I make sure that the kids are safe and are enjoying the fact they are learning a new sport.
Pros
easy
Cons
easy
Community based Programs
Coordinator/Membership/ Services (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 18, 2017
I had the opportunity to work in different positions with the YMCA even though I did not have my degree at the time. I worked hard at my job with little pay for my efforts, as it is a not of profit, but I learned a lot.
Cons
Management needed improvement
OK job
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 12, 2017
There were really great people at this job, But no balance between my personal life. I have mixed emotions about this company. Although I enjoyed my experience.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not enough balance for family life
Great Place to Work
Member Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 26, 2017
This organization places you in the middle of every event they have and it definitely gives you a sense of community. Exposure to all walks of life is guaranteed no matter what department you work in.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not enough hours
The recruitment and interview process is awful!
Prospect (Former Employee) –  ProspectJune 20, 2017
If you want to go through three months of interviews, jumping through hoops, rescheduling interview meetings and trying to decipher an inconsistent message throughout the entire process from all levels of management - than this is the place for you. Recruitment specialists were untimely with phone calls, constantly looking to reschedule appointments at the last minute-that were booked weeks in advance; and the VP's are very dismissive during the interview process. Disappointing.
Communication
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 11, 2017
A typical day would start around 6 AM, the staff would set up the location to be ready when the students would arrive. Activities would be provided to students that were creative, educational and physical. I learned a lot about how to communicate well with staff,be patient and be able to be prepared for if plan A does not work out.
Former YMCA Camp Summer Secretary.
Former Camp Secretary (Former Employee) –  Twin Lake, MIJune 1, 2017
While the pay was not great, the overall benefits of spending time watching kids have a great time was. Hours could be long with few days off during the camp sessions but the memories are priceless.
Pros
Spending time with kids
Cons
Long hours, low pay
Exciting organization
Program Development Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2017
I was there a long time ago, but it was an exciting place to work. The Chicago YMCA serve a huge range of communities and members. The variety of programs and services delivered made this a great place to be.
Teaching Lessons
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 2, 2017
I love being in the water and even more because I had to do is teach kids and all ages. I had to move on to a more secure job but it was really nice i had teach about 8yrs and lifeguard as well and all i have is good memories
Great Job to start in non-profits/
Youth& Family Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 25, 2017
Overall the YMCA was a great stepping stone to peek my interest in youth development and move u within the organization. I gained a lot of experience and knowledge during the time I was there and was able to start in a part-time role and move into a fill-time position.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Changes in uppper managaement
Fun workplace
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILApril 25, 2017
work at sites in local schools
follow s.t.e.a.m. based curriculum.
teach healthy living and core values
work with kids k-5th grade
serve snacks to kids
lead activities such as crafts, science, gym games, homework and study time, and plan a yearly fundraiser event for your site.
Keep up certifications and training for YMCA and childcare
You are responsible for your site.
Keeping it clean and organized and keeping supplies stocked.
Pros
flexible schedules, no weekends
Cons
limited hours, seasonal position

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9