YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago

YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago Employer Reviews

It was also a great place to upgrade skills and learn more about the child care industry
‚ĚłAssistant director/family service worker (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: flexibiity and ability to attend free workshops
I enjoyed the benefits of working o a professional team and learning abut team building and various networknig opportuities.
Productive and fun workplace with potential for growth
Member Experience Director/Operations (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 29, 2014
Overall it was a great family oriented organization. This was a great place for family fitness and fun activities. If you're looking for a nonprofit that helps out the community, this is the place.
Unpleasant corporate culture with good co-workers
Fed up employee (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 13, 2014
The co-workers are generally the only part of the job that isn't unpleasant. Pay is low. Morale is dreadfully low. Focus on the gym and swim aspect of the Y far out shadows the mission based programming.
Productive and a fun place to work
Field Supervisor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 21, 2014
I enjoyed working for the YMCA, I wish i wasn't laid off. I cared about my clients and wanted nothing but great things for them. I hope there doing well.
terrible place to work for
slave (Former Employee), chicago, merto officeNovember 7, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: low pay
They shut down a whole office and the managers are terrible, they have no money and pay you pennies to do 3 people jobs!!!!
Its was ok
Home Health Aide (Former Employee), chicago,IlOctober 28, 2013
I like helping my clients but my superviser wasnt ice. She only gave me one client and when I would ask for another she would send me in circles and tell me no one was available but when i ask my co workers if they had received other cliets they said yes.
I enjoy the work I do and the people I serve
Case Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 22, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: limited growth potential
I have an opportunity to assist families in setting goals and steps to accomplishing the goals. These goals are designed to help improve the function of the family. I have been privileged to have multiple opportunities to advance and improve my skills by attending workshops and training. I have supportive co-workers and supervisor who I enjoy collaborating – more... with to accomplish the task of helping each family. The most enjoyable part of my job is watch families grow and achieve the goals they set. – less
Excellent opportunity to engage in community counseling
Intern (Former Employee), Alsip, ILAugust 29, 2013
Pros: challenging
Cons: non-for-profit dependency on federal funding
Beginning as an intern, my experiences were challenging and rewarding. Especially memorable was the crisis intervention work with at-risk adolescents and families in conflict.
Dedicated to helping children and families
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee), Naperville, ILAugust 20, 2013
Steady to fast paced office environment. A typical day mostly entails helping the customer, first and foremost.
I have learned to prioritize, meet deadlines, and obtained excellent people skills.
Our office motto was "work as a team".
The hardest part of the job was not being able to help everyone in need.
The most enjoyable part of the job, was being – more... comfortable and happy in a position for a long period of time. – less
Fun place to work
Youth Development Worker (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2013
Pros: free membership to the y
Cons: part-time hours
Fun place to work. The location I work at has good coworkers whom all get along
The YMCA encouraged a healthy way of life and provided numerous children's programs which is the reason I chose to work there.
Membership Advisor (Former Employee), Lake Zurich, ILMay 27, 2013
I provided marketing and sales support by selling YMCA memberships and programs. I was excited to work for an organization that was meeting a great need in the community--providing a facility to get fit and healthy and keeping kids active.
Terrible Place to Work!!!!
Membership (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 16, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
Run for dear life. The YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago is an awful place to work. Management has terrible values. Leadership only cares about the bottom-line and not the community or employees. Wages are very very low and there is no job security, If you want to work like a slave, then this is the place for you. If not, RUN as fast as you can. The hardest – more... part of the job was selling memberships to people knowing the facility and services were less than good. I hated giving tours in such a filthy place. – less
Productive place to work
GROUP VICE PRESIDENT OF OPERATIONS (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2013
Pros: leader among other non-profits
Fast pace, high energy enviornment. The YMCA continues to find inovative ways to further the mission of the organization.
Mission-Driven Organization focused on Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility.
OPERATIONS DIRECTOR (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 18, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule, staff development
I have gained leadership and management skills through my experience at the YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago. Additionally, I have acquired skills and knowledge in strategic initiatives.

Developing relationships with members & staff is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Awesome Experience!
Representative (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: strong family values upheld, strong senior community, lots of children's services for working moms
Cons: wages need to be more in-line with current cost of living, expensive benefits packages
The YMCA is an awesome organization! There is a huge need for increased resources, but we work with what we have!! We love our members and our members love us. I dont feel the pay is spread fairly between employee positions, but it never interferes with the level of service we set out to deliver daily. If you love to work hard, have fun, and meet great – more... people from all over, apply today! – less
Great place to learn
Family Case Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 27, 2012
Great leadership skills learned, hardest part of job was not having resources to help clients become successful.
Fun and exciting work environment with staff that helps you grow.
Sports Instructor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2012
Pros: great staff, flexible schedule, lots of diverse oppertunites within the organization
I primarily run after school and before school sports and fitness programs. I have learned a lot about working with a third party (the schools in this case), parents, and youth and how each requires different things. My co-workers are amazing and they help bring a fun atmosphere to the workplace. The hardest part of my job is when the kids simply don't – more... want to listen but in the end knowing I have changed the lives of my students makes it all worth it. – less
Flexible work schedule
Hiring Manager (Current Employee), Naperville, ILSeptember 26, 2012
You can learn a lot of different skills in a non-profit like this. You will have many responsibilities but supervisors are usually good about being flexible with your schedule.
Positive attitudes can brighten a persons day
ALO Facilitator (Former Employee), Chicago ILAugust 23, 2012
The most enjoyable part of the job was to come to work everyday and see the effect my enthusiam had on my students. To see their attitudes go from blaaah to yaaaaaay and the smiles on their faces made my time there all the better.
Working for the YMCA of Metro Chicago is truly a great experience!
Program Director (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2012
Pros: good benefits, great staff, strong leadership
I had the oppurtinity to start within the association by completing an internship within the Community Schools Initative. I then was offered a wonderful oppurtinity to join the association as a program director at one of our membership centers. The human resources staff were very beneficial in helping me through that process. The association leadership, – more... directors and staff are truly dedicated to enriching the lives of everyone involved with everything we do. Overal a great association to work with! – less

About YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago

Since 1858, the YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago has contributed to the lives of girls, boys, women and men of all ages, races, religions – Read more