YMCA of the Rockies

YMCA of the Rockies United States Employee Reviews

Seasonal Employment, Good for Students Not Career
Family Programmer (Former Employee), Estes Park, COJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: work experience, room and board, food
Cons: low wages, disrespectful management, no advancement
Working as a seasonal employee at YMCA of the Rockies- Estes Park offers a short contract, low wages, dorm style living with multiple roommates (and probably moving buildings multiple times), and the same rotation of food. Program staff work pretty regular hours and only get overtime if they go to other departments (housekeeping, food service) or if it's a really busy tourist time. The rules for seasonal employees are really strict, and they are quick to let people go. Seasonal work is great for college students who need a summer or winter job, but there is very little opportunity for advancement and the wages don't work for people with bills. The work itself can be fun, especially if you enjoy working with kids and in the outdoors.
Provide a work experience that helps to enhance my knowledge and skills on hand on work.
Food and Beverage/Kitchen Helper/Dishwasher (Former Employee), Estes Park, COJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: free meals and housing, activities for staff and bonus for good work
Now I am a front desk receptionist, it was great to know that you serve to other people and they are happy to the service that they received from me. Everyday I learn new, this experience help me to be more wise and smart, being more attentive is very important, the management guide me on my work and teach me new things so I can apply on work. My co workers are awesome and I love working with them because everyone is cooperating on work especially on busy day. I think the hardest part of job is facing guest complain but if you handle it very well it will be a big achievement. The most enjoyable part of job is enjoying what you are doing and giving them a good quality service that they want.
Wonderful work environment
Food Service; Special Events and Banquets (Current Employee), Estes Park, CODecember 6, 2014
The YMCA of the Rockies- Estes Park Center is a fantastic place to to be employed. Not only do they provide multiple opportunities for one to advance within the company, but they instill a set of core values into every employee that can be applied in any future work environment. A typical day in special events would be: review the BEO (Banquet Event Order), set up the venue in the morning for the special event in the evening (floor plan; place settings; table cloths; chafing dishes; coffee bar, wine bar, etc.), prepare the cold line (salads and salad toppings, breads, fruit trays, dessert bar, etc.), double check everything to make sure it matches with the BEO, serve the guests (if it is a plated event), clear tables, clean and polish silverware and glassware for the next event, and once the event is over, clean the venue. The most difficult part of the job would be communicating with ornery guests, but the YMCA of the Rockies prepares all employees for difficult or uncomfortable situations. After being employed by this organization, I can now say I am very capable of handling various types of customer service related issues and handling them in an extremely professional manner.
Fun Job
Programs Attendant (Former Employee), Granby, CONovember 18, 2014
Pros: awesome working environment
Cons: very low pay
A great place to work and live. Dont expect a huge paycheck, but dont expect hard work. This was the single most fun job I've ever had. Loved everything about what I did. Felt good to make so many guest happy and enjoy their vacations.
Summer job living on grounds in a "resort" type atmosphere
Post Office Clerk (Current Employee), Estes Park, COAugust 18, 2014
Pros: free meals, free housing
Cons: too much downtime.
A typical day for me would consist of maintaining an inventory of packages for guests that were shipped through the USPS, guest interaction and mail delivery, packing and shipping items.

Overall, I learned a lot about the US postal system in this position, but I feel like my talents were a bit wasted.
a unique summer job experience in colorado
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Estes Park, COJanuary 19, 2014
Pros: consistant hours, good management.
A usual day consisted of cleaning lodges and cabins. The best part was the diversity of people you met. People from all over the world came to work at the YMCA, so that was a really cool experience. The hardest part was being on your feet that long doing physical labor. It took a while to get used to.
Conferences Services Supervisor
Conference Services Supervisor (Former Employee), Estes Park, COJanuary 7, 2014
Event Planning for the world's largest YMCA in one of the most beautiful places on earth.
A fantastic first job for me.
Cabin Counselor (Former Employee), Tabernash, COMarch 25, 2013
Pros: free food and lodging
Cons: locatd away from the city in the middle of the mountains.
I went to this camp as a child for many years. I went back to work there as an adult and had a blast.
Was hardly worth my time and effort unfortunately.
Environmental Health and Safety Consultant (Former Employee), Estes Park, COAugust 14, 2012
Pros: lunch was without cost.
Cons: management and overall employee attitudes stunk.
A typical workday was in reviewing safety policies and programs and formulating new policies and programs in order to bring them up to date with current OSHA regulations for compliance.
I learned that if you are an outsider in this organization, that you are going to be treated with extreme indifference and that proclaimed Christians usually are not.
Management was not in the least interested in change or compliance issues as they pertained to safety and health, esspecially if it cost money or meant they had to change the way they were operating.
Co-workers were some of the rudest people I have ever met. They would walk within inches of me and not acknowledge that I was there, I would sit down at a lunch table with different employees and be categorically ignored, I would receive stares and behind the back remarks and was made to feel altogether very unwelcome.
The hardest part of the job was in arriving for work every day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was leaving for home every day.
The YMCA of The Rockies proclaims itself as a Christian organization and yet they are some of the rudest and un-Christian people it has ever been my misfortune to meet - not all of them by any means, but certainly too many of them especially in management positions.
Ethical & safe, mountain sanctuary.
Craft & Design Center - Instructor (Current Employee), Estes Park, COJuly 7, 2012
Pros: housing provided
Cons: housing is old
Worked here for four summers in a row, rustic living conditions, but overall pleasant and exciting.
Right next to Rocky Mountain National Park - great hiking!
Hard work, low pay, but that's not why one gets a job here, it's for the people and the mountains.
Ambiente de trabajo divertido, exigente y respetuoso.
Food Service (Former Employee), Estes Park, Colorado, USAAugust 8, 2014
Experiencia laboral en la cual me sentí muy cómoda y en la que recompensaban tu esfuerzo. Comencé realizando tareas de moza y cocina y luego fui ascendida a tareas de recepción y caja.