YMCA Employee Reviews in United States

Found 8,455 reviews matching the search
What I've Learned
Camp Counselor/Kids' Zone Attendant (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NCJune 30, 2016
What I've learned working for YMCA, is that it is a great starter job for teenagers, individuals who want to be more involved in the community, and also retirees who want to continue spreading their knowledge to another company. The atmosphere is awesome and full with loving and caring people.
workplace
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 30, 2016
every time I came into work I was always welcomed by my co-workers. Everyday we could communicate about different work projects or just life in general. YMCA is a family and they made me feel very welcomed.
Productive, challenging and fun place to work
Before and After School Program Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Millington, TNJune 30, 2016
Typical day at work: Lots of activities, working with children ages six to ten years of age, challenging, creativity and maintaining safety.

I learned daily that communication and self control is important.

Management is good and inspiring.

Coworkers are fool of excitement and knowledgeable.

The hardest part of work, to need a lots of energy to keep up with kids.

The must enjoyable part: The kids, their personalty and charmed.
Pros
the pool and exercise equipment
Fun Workplace
Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  National City, CAJune 30, 2016
Fun environment to work in, good salary and benefits, if you love working with kids this is for you!
Coworkers are also awesome people who can eventually become great friends!
Within this short period of time this company has taught me many valuable things such as patience, acceptance, and to value differences between people.
Pros
trainings are paid with food and sometimes team bonding is in laser tag or other areas as such
fun work place
Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJune 29, 2016
A typical day at work consist of engaging with 50 plus kids at a time keeping them entertained Monday through Friday from 7-530. This job requires a lot of creativity. I have acquired lots of patience working with children. The hardest part of the job i would say is keeping the children entertained with different tasks everyday and switching up the routine because there is simply not enough space for the amount of kids we have. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the kids of course. They make the long, hot days all worth while.
Pros
easy relaxed job kids
Cons
heat split shifts
great way to grow
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 29, 2016
I learned a lot from the teacher in how to keep the kids active in a fun way and also learned how to teach them things not just entertain them for a few hours but actually teach them to grow in that time, with fun activities, the emvironment was so much fun, really made me want to go to work every day, and in helped me to control a big crowd of kids and how to keep everything in order and always active.
A place for humans to be themselves
Administrative Staff, Camp Minikani (Former Employee) –  Hubertus, WIJune 29, 2016
I first attended camp at age 6, and I did not leave until I was 24. A typical day contained more activities than a human should be capable of achieving in a week. I learned how to be my best self by continuing on from being a camper, to a counselor in training, to a counselor, and finally an administrative staff member. The hardest part of the job was sending kids home for disciplinary reasons, but the best part of the job was seeing the pure joy on a child's face when they accomplished something new.
Ymca
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJune 29, 2016
Loved working with the kids. They would cheer me up and make my day better. Coworkers were great to work with as well. Working with the company was a little stressful.
Fun Place
Mental Counselor (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILJune 29, 2016
Afterschool care and mentoring occurred at the this place. Was set up to provide afterschool care to the youth and also give parents a chance to finish working before picking up their children.
Great place to work while in college
Fitness Staff (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVJune 29, 2016
Great place to work while in college if you are needing a PT job. The hours are flexible and not hard. You also get a free gym membership. That makes it worth it.
Pros
free membership
Cons
getting cused out by the associate director when its supposed to be a christian organization
productive and fun workplace
GROUP LEADER / COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 28, 2016
I loved doing my job and working with kids and getting to know there parents as well. being able to grow and develop patience and being responsible. There were days that could be better than others but its part of life. I worked well working with other so my co-workers where no problem for me. is being with kids everyday and seeing them smile made my day and lets me know I'm doing my job when they get excited to see me.
Fun summer job
McBurney YMCA Summer Day Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2016
We were kept busy with activities and trips. It never felt like work. The days went by quick because there was always so much to do. The fun never stopped
productive fun
Organized, lead (Former Employee) –  Richmond, TXJune 28, 2016
great ,fantastic, amazing, outgoing. loved working for all my employers im very ambitious, consistent and punctual in all areas and aspects.
Pros
people
Great Place to Work
Child Watch Team Member (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAJune 28, 2016
Always worked around my schedule. I love working with children and had the opportunity to learn how to handle children with unique situations. I also had the opportunity to work with children who were not fortunate enough to have a lot of attention at home.
Enjoyable work environment with elementary school kids
Youth Development Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJune 27, 2016
Help facilitate various after-school programs where we provide homework assistance for struggling
students.
Encourage a healthier, active lifestyle via organized outdoor activities and healthy snacks.
There's no I in teamwork
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 27, 2016
Great place to start on a teamwork career, specially one that is sports oriented. Worked a lot with and alongside managers and directors alike.
Pros
Teamwork, open
Very Productive and Creative Work plac
Volunteer Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 27, 2016
I have completed volunteer work within the company under a classmate whom works there. The staff was excellent. They actually welcomed me in with open arms as if we where a family.
Pros
Exciting people
Hardworking
Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALJune 27, 2016
There was a lack of communication at times within the managers and employees, but everything seemed to be handled well and with reason. Very important jobs were done daily and respected from staff.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Great Place to Work
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJune 27, 2016
Depending on what site you get it could be a enjoyable experience. My site was clean, the staff and Faculty was friendly.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
none for me
Front Desk Membership services
Front Desk Staff (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJJune 27, 2016
- I scan in the members and or type there names when they forgot there name tag .
- sign up people for membership / or downgrade and or cancel memberships
- Answer the phone
- Greet costumers
Pros
friendly inviroment
Cons
short breaks