YMCA Employee Reviews

Found 10,828 reviews matching the search
Crazy, fun day with kids both big and small
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 28, 2017
A typical day starts off with helping the master teacher set up the activities for the day and setting the kids down for a circle time.
Then it's activity and learning time followed by 30- 45 minutes outside or doing a gross motor activity. Lunch follows and then nap time for about 2 1/2 hours. The rest of the day is smooth sailing after snack time, it's free play until mom or dad come to pick up the kids.
I've learned that I adore working with kids more than I thought I would.
The management here isn't the best. They're either trying to be your friend or trying to be extra stoic.
The workplace culture is like 10th grade all over again. Rumors swirling everywhere and she said this or that.
The hardest part of the job is that there is no room for advancement.
On the other side,the most enjoyable part is seeing the kids everyday and listening to them tel you stories.You also get free gym membership so yay!
Great place to Advance and grow. Great benefits package
Senior Program Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 3, 2016
The YMCA is a great place if you want the opportunity to move up in the ranks, get training and have the opportunity to experience various positions. Depending on which Branch you work at depends on the work environment you will be immersed in. Some of the Branches have a family feel while others have a Corporate under the microscope feel.

Depending on your title it can be extremely stressful. Although they preach Family if you're in Management you have very little personal or family life.

Another great thing about the YMCA is how they help the community. 100,000's of dollars is given each year to help families with financial needs.
Pros
Free membership for yourself, Awesome benefits package, Promotions are endless, Has your back when you have a crisis. Caring Co-workers and colleagues.
Cons
Management no balance between work and home life. Long hours. Stressful.
Great core values, difficult work environment
Regional Director of Sales (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 28, 2016
If you weren't born and raised in the YMCA, I wouldn't suggest this be your employer. They are very Y culture driven and are not open to change in their operating model. Strong grasp on community and youth development. They have no clue what steps to take to grow their membership and Personal Training business. Center Managers are elevated into a title called Executive Director, excluding themselves from any work. Most of them are just glorified camp counselors with no clue how to run an actual business. Unfortunately they spin there wheels often as Executive Directors can't effectively make important decisions. YMCA is great for your kids, not good if you're pursuing a serious career in a specific field.
Easy going, hard to move forward
Zephyrhills - Membership Representative (Current Employee) –  Zephyrhills, FLMarch 17, 2017
I have been told for the last 2 years that I was going to get a raise/ Promotion.. Every time my branch directors ask for either from the AO, They are declined. I bring in over 75% of memberships in our location, and keep getting asked to take on management duties. I would love to be paid for the work I do, but this just isn't the right place for it.
this was my first job and it was perfect, but for a young adult whose trying to get through school and pay bills, it only adds stress.
Pros
Relationship building, and Flexible
Cons
No breaks, low pay, dead end
Non-Profit, direct service work in community and family building
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 9, 2016
Worked directly with families, management and collaborators
Learned to see community through a wider lens of appreciation
YMCA went through management changes and financial challenges, which caused a challenging work environment
The hardest part of job was to insure funding was accessible for programming
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the families grow and improve the quality of life
Pros
Benefits, family oriented, training opportunities, professional advancement opportunities
Cons
Challenging work environment due to financial challenges
Dedicated staff and a friendly environment.
Director of Before and After School Care (Current Employee) –  Bel Air, MDMarch 12, 2017
The actual work experience with the base program has been very rewarding. Management is not good with communication down the chain of leaders. Resources are good for advancement. The work culture is friendly and welcoming. The hardest part of the job is the on boarding process and training or lack of. The children are the joy of the job and the work with the children is very rewarding.
Pros
Fairly flexible schedule for administrative duties.
Cons
Training of the actual job is not ideal.
No benifits, no chance for full time
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Pennsburg, PAMarch 1, 2017
I like the work I do and the members who come to workout but the management is unorganized and have unrealistic expectation for one person. People in maintenance started to quit and instead of trying to replace workers they expected the other workers to do twice the amount of work to make up for loss and because of that more workers quit. There is no chances to work full time because they do not want to give their workers benifits and no advancements in pay.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Short staff, part time only
Never a dull moment!
Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Waterbury, CTMarch 19, 2017
Working in the office at the Y is definitely not like most office jobs. With so many facets and different departments, there is never a dull moment (thanks in part to our members). Though challenging at times, the fast paced and friendly environment is definitely never boring. There's a great staff culture and though it is a nonprofit, they still try to show appreciation for their employees.
Pros
free gym membership, great retirement plan and opportunity for advancement
Cons
compensation
Advocate for living healthier lives
Health & Wellness coach (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 8, 2017
A typical work day will include prioritizing the day and staying informed of any sales, discounts etc...to better serve customers.

We learn something new everyday and its always important to stay abreast of resources and information pertaining to the way we serve customers

Management is essential in any organization because there always to be some form or structure and order

Any workplace culture should adhere to the needs of the employees via safety, comfort, open door policy, honesty and trust between employer and employee

The hardest part of any job is learning and adapting to the environment and the working hard to meet the expectations of the employer

The most enjoyable part of the job is feeling appreciated and becoming a part of the work family
Pros
breaks
Cons
too busy to take a break
YMCA Of Mission Viejo
Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  YMCA Mission ViejoMarch 10, 2017
This is a very professional program for children. They have set many standards and implement many safety programs to protect your children. The YMCA also raises funds for Parents who cant afford day care for their children. With other Scholarship programs for children.
I worked at a School site for the YMCA. It was the after school program . Working manly with kids 3rd thru 5th grade. They came in after school and had homework Hour. I helped them with their homework and that was my favorite part of the day. We also had clubs, snack time and sports. I worked as an assistant at this school site and helped the teachers with their programs. The hardest part of the job was sports. I did not know some of the games.
Pros
Scholarships for childrens family's that need extended care.
Cons
To small of Modules for Child Care.
Working in customer service has ups and downs
T. W. Davis YMCA Member Services Leader (Current Employee) –  Richmond, TXMarch 10, 2017
Members are typically laid back and easy to talk to, but on occasion I have encounters with members that have issues that even I cannot help with. Other than these rare situations, the members are enjoyable to greet, talk to and gain relationships with. Management is usually very laid back, but communication can be difficult sometimes. The best part of the job is definitely the relationships I make with my coworkers and the members. The hardest part is being alone during a peak time of the day. Directors (management) are usually happy/willing to help when needed.
Pros
Flexible schedules, Choose your own hours, Management is relaxed, Competitive pay, Team building activities are fun
Cons
Upset/angry members, Communication problems occasionally
Could be a great place to work
Art Instructor/ counselor (Former Employee) –  Harlem, NYDecember 12, 2016
But there is no real organization, and it allows for people to promote, or to not with no real impunity. rather unfortunately although multiple attempts were made to stay with the company because of a visage of positivity and a preference for working with children, I was unable to stay due to lack of organization and very unfair work and promotion practices.
Pros
no health insurance or benefits for part time, many working hours were unpaid, no work life balance
Excellent organization
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Beverly, MAJanuary 22, 2017
I started working for the YMCA when I was 19 years old. I found an ad in the newspaper for a part-time custodian position. Back then, part-time was 30-36 hours/week plus extra shifts. Very kind, caring employees. I started off cleaning the women's locker rooms, bathrooms, and studios. I got a half-hour lunch break. After 6 months I got a raise. The most enjoyable part of the job was of course, cleaning and making sure the facilities looked nice. I got to meet nice staff and members who I still keep in touch with. I suppose the hardest part of the job was volunteering to help with swim-meets. I had to make sure the floors weren't too slippery. Other than that, very decent place to work. Kind, caring, honest, responsible, etc.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
They decreased the number of hours you can work part-time.
Great workplace with core values, which provided me with valuable skills under two different camp managers.
YMCA Day camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAFebruary 1, 2017
I worked at the YMCA for two summers. During both summers there were similarities and differences. Some were based upon YMCA standards, whereas the differences could be felt in the culture the current management induced. At its core the YMCA provided a fun, enriching, and skill building experience. In terms of the differences in the in the summers, one provided impromptu fun or continuing a great experience, while the other stuck to schedule management to get a full experience. In conclusion, both years at the YMCA was positive and a great learning experience.
Pros
Free admission to events/venues.
Cons
only two breaks a week.
Fine Entry Level Lifeguarding
Lifeguard/Swim Teacher (Former Employee) –  Needham, MAMarch 16, 2017
Working for the YMCA was an easy choice for me at 16, seeing as they provide the training necessary to become a lifeguard. The pay was not amazing, nor was the management extraordinarily friendly, but those are features that come with a corporation as big as the Y. With the corporation comes standards that each lifeguard must adhere to, making working at the Y a great place to start. With the training I learned at the Y, I went onto several other management positions at other companies.

The hours are long, the management is stringent, and the pay is mediocre, but the training was invaluable. Working at the Y was the equivalent of bootcamp for lifeguarding.
Pros
Great Training, Good Structure
Cons
Long Hours
Favorite place I ever worked!
EVENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MD 21502November 9, 2016
I will never forget working at this place. I had great opportunities, and worked with some of the most amazing people! Working for a non-profit really creates the best and most rewarding atmosphere. Unfortunately, it doesn't leave room for raises every year, but it's a small sacrifice to work in a great place with a positive and diverse culture.
Pros
co-workers, diverse, work-life balance
Cons
compensation
Fun enviroment
Life Guard (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, ILJanuary 26, 2017
Typical day at work would be unlocking the pool, setting up sign in sheets, vacuuming the pool when needed, put toys out and clean them up, take out the trash and make sure bathrooms are clean and watch patrons while guarding their lives with rescue tube close to you. I have learned to always present yourself in a good way and lifeguarding isn't as easy as everyone thinks it is, the sun is draining. the culture was very nice and well equipped. the hardest part of the job is trying to keep busy when everything is already done and sitting for hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to make kids feel safe and their parents putting their trust in you.
Pros
Helping serve ypur community
Cons
Long hours when people call off
A workplace that promotes the wellbeing of the youth and community
Assistant Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYFebruary 25, 2017
The YMCA is a great place to work if you're a student. Do not go into the mindset that you will have a full-time position. The wages that are paid do not compensate for the amount of work and effort that goes into a daily workload. The YMCA does an excellent job of promoting a culture that is inclusive and supportive of diversity. While the work is challenging, it is rewarding. The downside is there is a tendency to bring people from outside of the company than promoting within which weakens moral.
Pros
Promotes diversity, youth centered, community engagement
Cons
Low wages, lack of promotion within the company, favoritism
Fun and Life-changing, Little pay or benefits
Membership Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 3, 2017
The Y is the perfect place to get your feet wet in the workplace market.

Great, eclectic group of people, easy tasks and responsibilities and tons of time with kids, teens, seniors and the generally under-valued people in our society.

You will learn tons about yourself and about others.

It is not a place filled with professionalism or corporate culture, so prepare for the lazy or improper employee here and there.

Otherwise, this job looks great on a resume and will teach you extremely valuable lessons about society and the benefit of fun, physical and mental activity for kids and adults alike.
Pros
Free food, gym and the occasional travel, relaxed, generous and philanthropic
Cons
no health benefits for most employees, low pay even for managers or directors
A rough place to start
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJanuary 27, 2017
From a Licensed Child Care standpoint the YMCA has a hard time with staffing.

-The staff they employ are under qualified most of the time.
-They are rarely appropriately staffed, often stressing their current employees because of it. This creates a cycle of turnover.
-The executive level employees make it clear that other employees are beneath them. It is not uncommon to be cursed out or demeaned during meetings.
-Hours are unprecedented. Basic expectations are 8-6:30, but there are at least three nights a week that you work until 9 or later and every other weekend there is an event that eats up your day. These are the expectations for salary workers making between 29 and 34k a year.
-There are good managers, and despite the difficult work they do a lot for personal growth. One year as a manager for the Y is more like five when it comes to your growth and development.
-Benefits packages are great, especially retirement.
-Great for part time workers. This review is specifically for full time and salary. I haven't personally worked there in a year so the culture may have changed since then. I doubt it as most of the directors are still there.
Pros
Benefits, Personal Development
Cons
Long work hours, little recognition, borderline abusive executives.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

85%