YMCA
2,630 reviews

YMCA Employer Reviews

Awesome Job
Lifeguard (Former Employee), Greenwich, CTAugust 27, 2014
I loved my job working at the YMCA of Greenwich. BEST co-workers and staff.
Fun and enjoyable place to work, helping your community
Billing Specialist (Former Employee), West Chester, PAAugust 27, 2014
Pros: free membership, great retirement plan, and good co-workers
Cons: pay is too low!
The finance department was expertly managed, and a team environment. I learned a lot from my supervisors, and truly felt that they cared. The benefits were great; the only downside is that the pay was horrible and there's not a lot of room for improvement.
Productive and fun workplace
Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Decatur, GAAugust 26, 2014
Pros: got to go swimming
Cons: occasional irritation
I enjoyed working at the YMCA as a camp counselor. It was temporary, but fun while it lasted.
Fun workplace
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 26, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: no cons
I enjoyed working here, I'm huge into fitness so I was like in heaven since i was working out in a gym lol.
fun place to work
Front Desk Staff (Former Employee), Mexico, MOAugust 26, 2014
I really enjoyed working at the YMCA because of the people I worked with and served. It was a joy to come to work.
Active job, for outdoor workers
Group Leader (Former Employee), Mililani Town, HIAugust 25, 2014
Awesome company.
Great benefits
So rewarding working with children
Management was always in great moods, very uplifting people.
Cleaning duties
Must create a schedule for the children, activities in and outdoors
A great deal of work and not a great deal of money
Lifeguard (Former Employee), Port Orange, FLAugust 25, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: management not accountable
I worked at the YMCA for four years as a lifeguard. In a typical day, I would adjust chemicals, clean the pool deck, throw out the trash, teach kids and adults how to swim, observe the pool, discipline bad pool behavior, and coach swim teams. I learned a great deal of skills including how to discipline appropriately, communicate efficiently, and work – more... with management. – less
Love the YMCA!
Adventure Camp Founder & Director (Former Employee), Gloucester, MAAugust 25, 2014
Fulfilling and meaningful to work. The job is flexible and offers opportunities to be creative and take initiative.
Great place to work for a student or a mom looking for a part time job
Front Desk Clerk/Summer Camp (Former Employee), Augusta, GaAugust 25, 2014
It was fun to work here. The people I worked with were nice and the members were always happy to come work out. There wasn't a hardest part of the job because it was a pretty simple job.
Family and Community Involvement
Membership Sales Associate/Lifeguard/Childcare (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNAugust 25, 2014
The YMCA has so many great benefits, one being the sense of community and family. The staff and members were all connected which made work much more fun.
Productive and a good work place
Activity Leader (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INAugust 25, 2014
A typical day was set up for the kids to have activities, cooking, crafts, sometimes watch the door for parents. We had a good working team. to me there was no hard part to this job. The children for the most part was the most enjoyable.
Rewarding job providing much needed services.
Program Manager (Current Employee), El Paso, TXAugust 24, 2014
Pros: able to help many people
Cons: not enough time to get all that i want done
*Helping Junior Enlisted soldiers and families through a free thrift store and emergency food pantry. We have ab. 230 families come through in 3 day period each week. We take in donations, sort and display them and let the families sign out 10 items each day free of charge. For emergency food, soldiers bring a referral from their chaplain etc. fill – more... out our paper work and we make them a large box of non-perishable food to help for a few days.
* I have learned about organization, running a business, managing staff and volunteers, briefing large groups about our programs, creating weekly reports and budgets on spreadsheets, fundraising, referring people to other agencies for assistance, unofficial counseling, planning and running large special events for soldiers and their families and much more.
* I have worked directly under the El Paso ASYMCA Director attending weekly staff meetings and been part of the management team. We have worked together to over come struggles a non-profit organization deals with such as fundraising and advertising.
* I have one program assistant and multiple volunteers under my supervision. and I could not do my job without these wonderful spouses and soldiers.
* The hardest part yet rewarding is helping families with serious issues. Many soldiers have returned from multiple deployments with physical and mental problems and that often leads to sad results at home. Also sometimes we have unappreciative and rude costumers and it takes a lot of patients to deal with them.
*I enjoy mostly helping day to day, soldiers and families in their time of need.
Also the annual Thanksgiving food drive is very rewarding, though a lot of planning and work, we can provide 1400 soldier families a basket of food and a turkey. Some say they would not have been able to afford to celebrate otherwise. – less
Fun and Productive environment
Lead Pre-School Teacher (Current Employee), Naperville, ILAugust 23, 2014
I enjoyed working with the children and the parents on their development. I loved watching the children grow in their personal ablilities and how they grew socially with others. I enjoyed the diversity of our staff and the knowledge they had for the job.
Great Experience
Camp Director (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYAugust 23, 2014
I have worked 3 different positions at the YMCA and I enjoyed them all equally. I was happy to be in a fun environment while still helping kids to better their education.
Monitor residents
Residence Desk Attendant (Current Employee), Columbus OhioAugust 22, 2014
Pros: encourage and motivated clients on a daily basis
Cons: salary
Monitored residents on a daily basis, in person and over the phone. Encourage and motivated clients on a daily basis
Exciting and fun environment to work in.
Counselor/Assistant Program Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 22, 2014
Pros: exciting work environment, organization helps those who are working towards a goal (professionally), and the company hires from within.
Cons: poor hiring decisions, rigid programing:curriculum needs to be better suited for the environment the ymca choses.
As Assistant Program Coordinator, I am entrusted to create a curriculum that integrated a form of experiential learning with an emphasis on team building and problem solving. My job is too oversee the overall project and making sure it's running like a well oiled machine.

Within the YMCA, my responsibilities range from helping to create activities – more... and schedules for year round and summer programs to recruiting, training and managing staff, interns and possible volunteers. Throughout my professional career, my communication abilities have vastly improved. I've dealt with many situations in which communication is the KEY in having things run smoothly.

In my current job, I have to handle multiple responsibilities in developing new programs and outside resources, maintaining existing ones, and sustain great client relations. I allocate a certain amount of time for each area daily. That way clients can see very clearly that projects are progressing, and I have more satisfaction in accomplishing multiple tasks under pressure.

I started as a counselor within the company and worked my way up the latter, to now find myself as assistant program coordinator. Due to my wide range of role contribution within the YMCA, I've learned the efficiency, time management, self-discipline, and adaptivity it takes to be successful with any given task. – less
Volunteer Coach/Ref
Volunteer Coach (Former Employee), Belfast, MEAugust 21, 2014
This was something we did as a team my senior year of basketball. Each group of us had a team we coached every Saturday and then refereed the games after our practice sessions.
non-profit youth programs
skill-building

hardest part:
bureaucracy
pushy parents
supervisors don't back you up
A very family fun oriented environment and place.
Trainer, instructor, coach (Former Employee), Deltona, FLAugust 21, 2014
Pros: great environment, friendly hardworkers, amazing atmosphere.
Every day was a never not enjoyable. The staff where funny and amazing people inside and out. I learned how to help kids who may have troubled lives at home. Id allow them to escape it and learn new things that would essential to them. The management and co-workers have known me since I was 9 years old so they were just like family to me. Always gave – more... respect and honesty while working for them. Id say the hardest part of the job was leaving but I had a tight schedule at home. Most enjoyable part about this job was forming the many bonds with such incredible people. – less
YMCA
Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Fishers, INAugust 21, 2014
Pros: free snacks, field trips
Cons: no breaks
It was quite an experience I worked with many different types of people and I truly enjoyed my summer. I helped with customer service, child care, planning activities and throwing out various ideas to make the YMCA a better place.

1 2 3 4 5

About YMCA

The YMCA was established over 160 years ago as a charity dedicated to the health of both individuals and communities. Our focus – Read more