YMCA Employee Reviews

Found 10,495 reviews matching the search
Negative experience, not what I was expecting
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  IowaFebruary 18, 2017
I worked in the child watch for several months making minimum wage. Loved working with the kids and other staff members in my area. However, it quickly became noticeable that the Y's mission does not hold true for employees. Management, while approached on several occasions, was not receptive to concerns on wages and operations within our department. If we had helpful suggestions that we felt would benefit our department, they dismissed it. They often sent out pointed emails, and you get a sence you are on a lower level. The trainings you are expected to complete are challenging to maneuver on their website, and it's very difficult to get the help you need to get them completed. The management seems unorganized and focused on making everything look good for gym members while spending no time working on employee relations.
Pros
Great place to meet wonderful kids and staff
Cons
Unacceptable, very low pay. Unwelcoming environment for employees.
Great Place for young teens
After School Program Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAFebruary 18, 2017
It is a good job for those starting out in the job field, or if you plan to remain with the company. Wages are decent for young adults not living on their own.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
wages
Productive and fun workplace
Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 17, 2017
Working for the YMCA was always an enjoyable place to be. Getting paid to play and interact with different types of fun and exciting personalities in the children was always fun to me! My work day consisted of producting a fun-filled game day for the children until parents are able to pick up their children.
Good environment, friendly people
Wellness Coordinator employee (Former Employee) –  Cupertino, CAFebruary 17, 2017
I worked for the YMCA as a wellness coordinator, where I was able to learn and grow as an individual. The employees at the YMCA are always upbeat, have a smile on their face, and willing to help anyone.
Great Environment and great people
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Waukegan, ILFebruary 16, 2017
The YMCA is a fantastic place to be, everyone is so friendly, everyone always tries to come in with a positive mind set. We act like a giant family!!!
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Not enough hours or money
Productive and Fun
Gymnastics Coach (Former Employee) –  Defiance, OHFebruary 16, 2017
Overall, I loved working here and it was one of the best jobs I've had. Everyday I went into work and enjoyed doing what I was there to do. I liked working with the kids and other staff. The only thing lacking, I felt, was communication.
Pros
Free access to the gyms, pool, youth center, and workout equipment
Cons
Great job for students balancing work and school.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAFebruary 16, 2017
This is a perfect job for students who want to work 5 days a week but also go to school. Every site is different and every director is different. It's important to find the right one.
Pros
Friendly people.
Cons
School holidays are work days for employees - day camps.
Amazing family-centerd work place
Site Director Currituck Family (Former Employee) –  Barco, NCFebruary 16, 2017
I loved working for the Y. My typical day at the Y was interacting with parents, taking care and playing games with the children, and organizing plans for daily/weekly activities. I learned valuable leadership skills and how to care for children with special needs. The management was fantastic and very family orientated. Workplace culture was at times very busy, but was always upbeat and happy. The hardest part of the job was leaving all of the kids behind when I had to move to another state. The kids where hands down my absolute favorite part of the entire job.
Pros
Free gym membership, working with kids every day
Cons
Ultipro system, clocking in/out
Flexible Hours
Supervised Visitation Worker (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 16, 2017
Provides a flexible schedule, is a great job for a student. A lot of exposure to the different programs.The management is somewhat disorganized, training is not provided substantially.
Abusive structure of over-work
Youth & Family Development Director (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 16, 2017
Horrible work life balance for an organization supposedly promoting family. New CEO brings complete chaos. No job security, as they could remove your position from the organization structure at any moment. Expect to work 70+ hours for 40- hours of pay.
Pros
Make a difference for families that need it
Cons
Everything else

Want to know more about YMCA?

Ask a question
An enjoyable experience
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Huguenot, NYFebruary 16, 2017
The workplace culture is warm, friendly, and accepting. I had an excelent time working there and would highly recommend it to anyone looking to get into camp or child care work.
Positive and works with school schedule.
School Age Enrichment Leader/Summer Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  Pearland, TXFebruary 16, 2017
This job has been a wonderful experience. I've never seen any other business or management group work with my school schedule so nicely.
fun work with kids
TEACHERS AID (Current Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTFebruary 16, 2017
a typical day at the y for me is working with a group of 8-10 kids gathering them to wash up before they eat snack that's been provided by them from the Y. after theyre done with snack they need a little reminder that its time for homework. that's the quietest time of the day even though its still pretty loud. they spend about an hour / hour 1/2 on there homework and they get to go to the gym or the playground outside. they love going outside. I make sure they stay in the designated areas so I tell them if they cant see me they shouldn't be there. I haven't noticed how long were out for but once we go inside they play board games, and or color if they would like to. we make sure the children are getting picked up by the right guardian to ensure the childs safety.
Pros
free certification classes. set hours.
Cons
for myself- its short hours every week
Wellness Coach (Current Employee) –  Ambler, PAFebruary 15, 2017
- Help young kids with homework and activities
- Communicate with parents about their child
- Teach proper lifting technique
- Communicate with clients about preforming workouts
A very wonderful place !! friendly environment very kind people.
Housekeeping Aide (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 15, 2017
Work here made my day in so many different ways. Far as different ways in cleaning learning new ways to get the job done in a good Timing matter. Even though it always stayed busy. you always had work.
Pros
very delicious fresh water bottles!!
Cons
muggy spots
great people you work with
Group Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 15, 2017
Management plays favorites with the people, but the some of the people you train with are the best in the business. Flexible with your schedule. Miss working there because of the people.
Fun place to work and be around
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Minot, NDFebruary 15, 2017
I learned responsibility working at the YMCA and how to be alert and ready at all times. The people are amazing and friendly there. The hardest part about working there is to be prepared for anything. The most enjoyable part is being with the people and working together.
Enjoyed the Children
SACC Assistant/ Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsford, NYFebruary 15, 2017
Enjoyed working with the kids making crafts, playing outside and keeping them in a safe environment. Providing the children with breakfast. Having a professional and respectful attitude with the parents and co-workers
Pros
the Children
Cons
I need more hours
Life changing and fun
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEFebruary 15, 2017
This was my first time teaching little people with sooooo much energy.. They were fun and full of life which made my job and day amazing.. Working at the YMCA changed the way I felt about teaching..
Fun enviorment
Trip Leader (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCFebruary 15, 2017
Great team environment to work in!
fast paced
learning opportunities
educational
physically demanding
all weathers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.