YMCA Employee Reviews

ymca
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAJanuary 17, 2018
Working at the YMCA has giving me great opportunities. i have learned so much at an individual. co workers & other employees are so polite and genuine.
Pros
flexible
Cons
hours avalible
Job review
Shelter Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTJanuary 17, 2018
The job was good I liked helping people but I think the upper management was focused on in being recognized publicly than helping the people at the shelter.
Aquatics ivision is great
Lead Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 17, 2018
Am a lead lifeguard and oversee pool patrons as well as other staff. Also had to make sure the pools chemicals were in check and ready for the operations
Fun place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Edwards, WIJanuary 17, 2018
Fun place to work but the compensation is really terrible. Low benefits available to PT staff, but having a free membership is awesome. Enjoyed working with members.
Fun and teachable place to work
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Bernardsville, NJJanuary 17, 2018
The YMCA not just gave me the opportune to just work there but, they also tough me how to help others by, teaching them how to swim, just cleaning and helping my workers and enjoying myself at work. Im a swimmer i loved that job. I made others day and it made my day.
Pros
I could go and work out on my breaks
Cons
Sometimes i had to stay n not go on a break and breaks is where i did my hw
Busy, Versatile,Diverse, but Unprofessional
Activities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 17, 2018
The company as a whole is wonderful and very helpful. But the school I was placed at was very unprofessional, the rules weren’t followed on a daily unless the higher boss was there.
family oriented
Director (Former Employee) –  Spotsylvania, VAJanuary 16, 2018
wonderful company
high standards in child care
up-to-par programs
great management
clean facilites
organized programs
fun and frienldly work environment
A great work environment with a great staff
Internship (Former Employee) –  Oskaloosa, IAJanuary 16, 2018
Lead small group activities such as basketball, football or any sort of physical athletics.
Help young children develop confidence and life skills, both physically and mentally.
give feedback to parents regarding their children participant experiences.
Pros
Great work environment, Great staff, Great scheduling
Fun workplace
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Portage, INJanuary 16, 2018
It was a fun time to be able to interact with a lot of different personalities in one organization. I have learned a lot of communication styles while being in the organization.
No advancement
Member Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INJanuary 16, 2018
Although my boss tried to fit in fun, it did not fit. I have been working there for 11 years and feel like I get no respect for my dedication. I have learned how to interact with people and listen to them carefully for what they need. That is one thing that I believe will help me inside and outside the workplace.
Lifeguard
Water Safety Instructor/Lifeguard (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COJanuary 16, 2018
i loved working as a lifeguard during the summer at the public pools, it was so much fun, got to meet a lot of cool people too. I would recommend this job to anyone who loves the hot sun and cool water.
A typical day at work
Summer Teen Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 16, 2018
Working at the YMCA has its ups and downs but in the end its very rewarding. I enjoyed working with the children and community partners. It was interesting to see how much culture is in my YMCA.
unprofessional and unorganized workplace
Facility Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, NYJanuary 16, 2018
When I get to the building I check with my supervisor to see what has been done and what needs to be done to complete the day. Then check supplies to see what is to be ordered for the week and fill out order sheets. Then I proceed to coordinate work teams on work orders supplied by the job supervised. At the end of the day I look over what was done then close the building.
The workplace was consist of unprofessional and inconsistent leadership. This made it hard to advance in the company
The hardest part of this job came with communicating with management about supplies need to complete project. Project took way longer than scheduled.
I always enjoyed talking and working with my fellow worker.
Fun job with kids
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAJanuary 16, 2018
This job is great for those looking to get closer to their inner child! The job requires you to be in the worlds of children the whole shift so that they may see you as a safe and fun guide to their experience. Good work if you are good with children, or like spending time with them.
Pros
fun work
Cons
pay
A good opportunity for Education Students
School Age Enrichment Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJanuary 16, 2018
Great place for hands on learning in an after school environment. The hours do not lend themselves well to making a full time living but the School Age Program is great for students and other young adults who want to see what youth development work is like.
Great high paced environment
Front Desk Receptionist and Membership (Former Employee) –  Pelham, ALJanuary 16, 2018
Great environment people oriented place to work. Most of the time busy at peak hours. Fun and clean environment to work in. Hardest part was peak hours lots of questions from people coming in.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Short breaks
The staff is very supportive of one another and genuinly strives to do good at their jobs.
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, INJanuary 16, 2018
The YMCA is full of not only staff that is very easy to get along with, but members who are very friendly. After you obtain your CPR and First Aid certifications, so many job opportunities open up to you. This is an environment where people care about the people they are serving and are happily willing to go out of their way to meet the members' needs.
fun work place
CHILDCARE PROVIDER (Former Employee) –  Trussville, ALJanuary 16, 2018
Stressful at times with clients coming in and out in all the time. Not overly organized and no room to grow as an employee. Required written logs of when kids came in and out.
Program Coordinator
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 16, 2018
Working for this company can be stressful but rewarding for the communities it serves. The culture can be very impactful for employees and the members. The hardest part of the job is not having enough time and support to execute work plans.
Pros
ability to change lives
Cons
lack of employee apprecation and support
Cut-Throat and Unprofessional
Teacher (Current Employee) –  KansasJanuary 16, 2018
Staff tends to do whatever they want, upper management disagrees with write-ups and suggests too many verbal warnings. Too much gossiping about staff.
Pros
Days of when schools are closed, parents love the hard work and give feedback.
Cons
Co-workers are uneducated and lack experience, Fundraising is not recognized when goal is over achieved, other Site Directors never achieves fundraising goal, Coordinator gossips with one particular site Director about other sites, Site Director will have you terminated if she does not like you, upper management takes side with one particular site director, Not very productive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.