YMCA
3,431 reviews

YMCA United States Employee Reviews

Fun place to work.
Volunteer Aerobics Instructor/Lifeguard (Former Employee), Fresno, Ca.April 19, 2015
Pros: Lifeguard experience.
Cons: Unkempt facility conditions.
My typical day at the YMCA was to teach aerobics and mild weight training to people of varied physical prowesses. I was also a lifeguard. I learned how to work with individuals who dealt with such issues as dialysis and how to maintain safety at the Fresno City College public pool. Under Douglas Den Hartog, the YMCA was a fun place to work and was well managed. He had a great deal of respect for the reputation I had earned as an employee there. I enjoyed my co-workers on the lifeguard team and we all got along very well. The hardest part of the job was correcting my co-workers performance and being ignored. The best part of the job was the bond I shared with the people in my classes and working at the pool.
Productive and fun learning enviornment
Counselor / Counselor's aid (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 19, 2015
A great and interesting place to work. A typical day included conducting and participating in activities. Counseling clients through their obstacles. It is a place to learn about people and daily interaction. The place is well managed, organized and efficient. Co-workers are determined and stay on task.
Productive and educational
Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Boise IdahoApril 19, 2015
Pros: Free member ship, cool swim suits and flexible hours
Cons: Hard management, no subs and long hours
The YMCA is a warm , friendly , family oriented organization that doesn't turn anyone away . Working for the YMCA taught me the difference between professionalism and friendly , it taught me that not all rules management sets you need to agree with but it also taught me to work within a team; what being a team member really means .
The management at the YMCA is a tricky thing. There are many positions to go through when there is a problem occurring at the pool deck.
The co-workers are very nice and friendly but its hard to get shifts covered .
The hardest part would be , keeping up on your skills and maintaining visual awakens during a 8 hr shift of scanning
The most enjoyable part would be the interact and keeping people safe while providing them with a fun warm environment .
Great company and place to grow
LIFEGUARD/SWIM INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee), Redlands, CAApril 19, 2015
Pros: mission, kids, work environment
Cons: pay, advancement
I worked for this company over the course of 6 years. I still support the mission of the YMCA as a member. It is a great starter job as a teenager (lifeguard/swim instructor), however, it is difficult to advance to a higher position and pay once starting a family. Hence why I pursued education instead. A private swim school paid me $13/hr while the Y was $9.50 (quite a discrepancy for my skill set). They have excellent training, however!
A very busy environment with over 1000 available programs
Welcome Desk Agent (Former Employee), Sidney, OHApril 18, 2015
Pros: Friendly co-workers and members.
Cons: No breaks onor follow-through from upper level staff when requests or concerns were placed.
A typical day at work would consist of my routine of various expected duties which I performed exceeding well. I would inquire of my co-worker every shift of any new changes in scheduling, classes or new policies. I enjoyed working with my co-workers as well as greeting all members, of which may be 250 to 300 per shift. As per policy, I needed to either scan their cards or type their names into my computer to allow them access into the main facility. The hardest part of the job at times would be having to multi-task non-stop for up to 3 hours at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job were the members. I knew most by name and enjoyed brief conversations with them.
Drama Reality TV Show worthy
Unit Leader (Former Employee), Encinitas, CAApril 16, 2015
Pros: Fun, active, social, enjoyable
Cons: Lacks strong management, organization, and incentive
If your looking to not make much money but have a great time this is the job for you. If you are looking for a "real" job look elsewhere. The YMCA has poor managerial skills which usually turns up to be a game of "favorites."
Professional place to work
Rosa Nodal- Supervisor (Former Employee), Chicago, IlApril 16, 2015
Pros: learn about yourself and other
Cons: pay isn't competitive
My experience at the YMCA was tough at first, but aside from the barriers and struggles, it is a very professional place to work.
Overall great place to work
Group Leader (Former Employee), Orange Park, FLApril 16, 2015
I love the YMCA, and I do like it as a place of employment. They are very driven by individuals and their needs. The free membership is a wonderful benefit, however pay rate is generally low, and very few full time positions are available. There isn't much room to grow and move up in the company; and I would love to. The culture of the company is giving. It's all about service and bettering lifestyles. It is all family centered, and overall wonderful. I wish there was a way to involve more people.
Great enviroment
Policy Counsel Alternative (Current Employee), Lithonia GAApril 16, 2015
Pros: location
Cons: Short term
Very positive environment and very diverse. Everything that I do for the YMCA is on a volunteer basis. I have 3 different position. I just wished that my time with the way was longer. But I time with the YMCA ends with the end of the school year.
Productive and fun workplace, with lots of activities
Volunteer (Current Employee), Saint Louis,MoApril 16, 2015
Typical day will be a day we set parties up for the YMCA and families. Then we will talk about Urban Youth, daily news. My co-workers are hard-working. Then hardest part of the job is taking down everything that we have worked so hard to put together. The most enjoyable part of the job is sitting back to everybody enjoying what we have put together.
Very rewarding job
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee), Detroit, MIApril 16, 2015
My coworkers are great and the environment that we create as a team is great. We enjoy our kids and ultimately that's what keeps us in this area of employment. However there is no room for advancement at this company in the childcare area. Work hours can be cut at any given time.
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee), Dallas, TXApril 16, 2015
It is a great place to work. The environment is friendly and they make you feel like you are a part of the family. It was a friendly staff
very good
Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee), Dodge City, KSApril 16, 2015
Pros: taught good classes
Cons: not enough people in classes or enough cliets
I enjoy working at the YMCA doing training and teaching classes and it is a very nice organization and helps a lot of people reach their fitness goals and get healthier
A Fun Job
Counselor (Former Employee), Pearland, TXApril 15, 2015
Pros: The times
Cons: Less Hours
My day start off by working with children by helping with homework i have learned every child is different and my require a little more then others the management was very nice the hardest part of my job was dealing with the different types of attitude the most enjoyable part of my job was have fun with the children
Wonderful Atmosphere
Counselor/Site Supervisor/Lead Supervisor (Former Employee), Northwest, NCApril 15, 2015
Pros: Program sites where located within the community where the students reside.
Cons: Allowance to move up to management.
This facility serviced the children of the Winston Salem area, they served dinner before the children went home and cared very well for staffers.
n/a
Counselor (Current Employee), Miami, FLApril 15, 2015
No advancement in this place. The pay is not enough for what the job entails. The management at this location is very disorganized. Maybe because it is understaffed.
ymca
Aquatic Facility Manager (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCApril 15, 2015
good company that fosters strong core values in order to make a well rounded person. i have truly enjoyed working as a part of the YMCA.
The people make it worth it.
Director of Member Relations (Former Employee), Nashville, TNApril 15, 2015
The best part about working for the YMCA is that no two days are the same. There is always something new happening.
The co-workers and members are the best part about the job. The community that the Y has is amazing. Every walks of life can be seen in one building all working together to be healthier.
The hardest part about working for the Y is establishing work/life balance. If you are salaried and work at a center, you can expect working a minimum of 50+ hours a week.
good part time job for people who love children
School Age Before and After School Program Lead (Current Employee), Port Washington, WIApril 15, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job is being around children for a few hours during the day. Playing games, doing science experiments and helping them with their homework is so rewarding. The management is great. They have good communication with the staff and are very resourceful.
Counselor for Youth Programs
Counselor (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 15, 2015
Worked with children in after school and summer camp programs. Field trips throughout the city during the summer and activities during school year.

1 2 3 4 5

About YMCA

The YMCA was established over 160 years ago as a charity dedicated to the health of both individuals and communities. Our focus – Read more

YMCA Salaries