YMCA Employee Reviews in United States

Found 8,733 reviews matching the search
good co workers and fun work space
Life Guard/ Swim instructor/ Water Safety Educator (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CA 95126April 6, 2016
though I don't get to socialize as a lifeguard on duty the time I'm spent outside of work with my coworkers was enjoyable and exciting.
While on duty my team is focused on maintaining a safe environment wether they are guarding or teaching swim lessons. The hardest part of the job would be split shifts, entirely unbearable, nothing like coming in at 5-8am and returning 5-9pm. The most fun I've had during my time at the Y would be teaching kids to swim its so fun to watch each of my students progress and express themselves as only children can. Management at the Y was very tolerant and accommodating.
Pros
fun, cool staff, manageable hours
Cons
raises are 25¢ a year, no consequences for tardiness
Keeping a fun and safe enviroment for the children
Child Development (Current Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLMarch 21, 2016
A typical day at work would be another teacher and I working together to get a craft together in order to keep the children satisfied. helping with homework, keeping drama low, and working with the children to have an over all fun time. I have learned how to communicate with everyone around me, I have been told that people feel as if I am an approachable person and easy to talk to. Management was alright it wasn't the best but we always got the job done. Working at the YMCA there was not a "hard" part, I have always found it an easy job to do I naturally fit with people and children so I had no problem working with all ages and all kinds of people. The most enjoyable part of my job would be sitting down and actually getting to know each and every child. Right when I open up the room the children get so excited to see me and it is the most hear warming feeling in the world.
Pros
experience
Cons
no benifits
I loved working here
Youth and Family Staff (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 10, 2016
I worked in Child Watch and the Teen Center. The supervisors were generally wonderful, allowing me to bring my children in when I was unable to find babysitters during my shifts. Unfortunately, the teen center was always understaffed. Very few of the games we had were functional and the sign in/out system was informal and it would have been very easy to lose a child.
In child watch I would frequently see new hires given more responsibilities that I had been asking for, despite me being more qualified and experienced.
The staff in these areas make slightly higher than minimum wage, are not given raises at any time, and are not allowed to work full time. Benefits were only offered to full time employees. However, working there did provide a free membership.
Pros
Free membership, fun atomosphere
Cons
No chance for growth, low wages
Great experience and fun environment
Assistant Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 2, 2016
At the YMCA working in the ASES program your typical day was a day including fun filled activities with a purpose. You made your job how you wanted your day to go. Working with students and being that voice in their life that they may not have is one of the greatest accomplishments I had. The hardest days that I had were ones where a student had a bad day at school. Feeling like it was one of your own children that was going to have consequences for their actions. Everyone wanted to enjoy their work and it started with the management. They made it fun and set the culture for the supervisory staff to bring that culture to the school sites and staff.
Pros
Great work experience, fun, career advancement, build rapport
Cons
Compensation, part time
very good place to work
Community Resource Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 14, 2016
The YMCA Youth Development Program of South Florida is an awesome place to work. The Y has such an impact and a positive force in the communities that they serve. They raised over $150,000 in 2015 to make sure that the doors are open to all, no matter where they come from. One of the very unique qualities of youth development is the special needs department which serves special needs children and their families from kindergarten to their adult age.
Pros
great benefits, vision, dental and YMCA membership to full time staff
Fun work place with children
Child Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXMarch 24, 2016
Working with children was very exciting. Planning the meal and lesson plans was a plus. Categorized the child placement, by age and productivity. I learn how to work with special needs children, which I loved. Helping children reach their full potential with in the problem areas of their school curriculum. The co-workers were kind and very encouraging. The hardest pert if the job was leaving and moving to Wylie to help my sister. I really loved working with the children and help them with reading, writing, and math.
Pros
job, benefits, salary
Cons
short breaks, no overtime
A fun place to work free thinking
Youth Counselor/ Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 29, 2016
Being creative with the youth on the job : games and activities my co-workers are easy to get along with full of energy and will help you in any way. I love making the children laugh and having a good time with them. Choosing a helper for the day and finding new ways to make them behave. I love inter acting with the parents and letting them know how our day was. The Y offer a lot of programs for our youth. When the children are happy I'm happy.
Pros
you get to sit down a lot, and you have control over your class
Cons
low pay now benefits
non-profit internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAFebruary 9, 2016
A typical day at this internship would be my supervisor assigning projects and then I would work alone upstairs on it. It was nice to work on it at my own pace. The management wasn't very communicative or clear on what exactly the projects were going to do in the end. My co-workers were very nice and helpful. The hardest part of the job was the fact that I felt that there weren't any results given or a purpose of why I did some of the tasks. Also, that the communication wasn't exactly on point. The most enjoyable was that I got to work from home at times.
Pros
free parking
Cons
unpaid, no benefits or even membership while interning
Great family atmosphere where you can learn and grow.
Site Lead (Current Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILMarch 26, 2016
With the YMCA childcare programs, one can expect to plan, organize, and implement the daily activities. Mornings are for group games, a short snack time, and usually an opportunity for children to earn "points" by answering quiz questions on folktales or stories I've read aloud. Afternoons are dedicated to lots of physical activity and a break for homework/study time.

During my four years with the YMCA, I've developed my skills in time management, flexibility, detail orientation, and leadership. I've had experience in leading a team of counselors during the summer, and I am often the only leader at my school site during the school year.

The hardest part of this job is flexibility. Whether a field trip has been substituted for another at the last minute, or a child has a different opinion about homework, it is important to always be flexible. Having a set routine is important but there has to be some leeway for a random fun activity, a new activity, or even conflict resolution.

Overall, the most enjoyable part of this job is the gratitude from parents, coworkers, and the children.
Pros
Free office treats, free CPR/First Aid training
Cons
Very few benefits, flexible work hours
Extremely flexible with scheduling
Head Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INFebruary 24, 2016
The Parkview YMCA is a great place to work. The scheduling is wonderfully flexible, the people are fantastic, and the atmosphere is very welcoming. I have had nothing but good experiences with the directors throughout the facility, and my co-workers are friendly and inviting. The thing I like the least about the Y is the compensation. It is a private, non-profit organization, so the pay is a little less than desirable. The best part about the job is being a part of something bigger than myself and working for not only myself, but also the community.
Pros
flexible hours, free individual membership, great people
Cons
limited hours, low pay
Offering the community a safe place to pursue optimal health and well-being
Certified Health Coach; CPT; Group Ex Instructor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 16, 2016
As a fitness professional a typical day may include teaching Group Ex classes, working with clients on barrier changes and fitness goals, hosting an education seminar and creating the next fitness challenge. My community of co-workers is amazing - supportive, encouraging, knowledgeable and professional.
The hardest part is the financial side and lack of consistency in schedule and in pay and benefits.
Fun work environment, Low pay
Member Services Director Downtown Louisville (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 19, 2015
It's a great place to work for students or anyone looking for a part time position. They do not make it easy to advance in the company because they usually hire "friends" or "personal" referrals. Also, for it to be a non profit company, they seem to be very money hungry individuals and do not seek into the community to raise funds the way they should. Most managers claim they abide by the mission of the Y, but most of them are the complete opposite. THIS DOES NOT GO FOR ALL THE YMCA's!! JUST THE DOWNTOWN LOUISVILLE, KY YMCA and some others in the surrounding area. I have worked for other YMCAs and the rest are GREAT!!
Pros
friendly environment, member relations
Cons
management are very self absorbed
Alright
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAFebruary 25, 2016
It was alright my boss singled me out for events that i wasnt even there for. when she left the program got better and i was even given the employ of the month award twice until my old boss came back and within two days was written up for insubordination there was no back up to her claims or events to show what i was accused of. left as soon as i found a better job. Also was denied my 6 month and 1 year raise even though i got a good performance review from parents and main director.
Nice family oriented facility
Front Desk Attendant, Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCMarch 12, 2016
A typical day at the YMCA starts at 5am. Since being employed by the YMCA I have learned the importance of teamwork and communication. The employees of the Ymca are a tight knit family. The management is there to serve and guide. The hardest part of the job is multi tasking. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the members.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Short breaks, health care benefits
Membership Rep
Membership Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 5, 2016
This is in Roanoke, VA. HORRIBLE place to work. They are changing rules all the time. The higher ups have no idea what is going on. They mgmt back stabs you, nice to your face & horrible behind your back. CEO doesn't care about staff, never has meetings to see how things are. Just money hungry and want to get as much as they can from members. No pay raises, no acknowledgement for YEARS or DECADES or service. No thank you's or acknowledgement of any job well done. They do not care about the mentally ill, homeless, druggies or seniors like the LIE and claim to.
Pros
Members are GREAT
Cons
Mgmt knows NOTHING
Certified Personal Trainer and Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Westfield, NJJanuary 29, 2016
Fun, engaging, management and co-workers very fair, good-natured, and respectful. Clientele diverse, well-educated, and with interesting backgrounds. Overall, a positive environment.
Pros
great clientele, flexibility in scheduling, long-leash
Cons
limited opportunities for advancement, healthcare and other benefits
Fun and exciting work place where new connections(Human) are created daily
Wellness Coach (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLFebruary 15, 2016
I have worked at the YMCA now for 3 years and I love it for the purpose that it is a very healthy environment to be in full of exciting new people all the time that I can help reach their fitness goals. The YMCA is a place where we strive for much more than what is thought of(physical fitness). We strive to get all of our members involved in the YMCA's purpose as the value of Human connection is what is so great about at the ymca and promoting events to get members connected to each other.
Pros
very social environment
Cons
no benifits
Great experience, not so great upper management.
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAJanuary 3, 2016
Working as a DYS clinician was certainly an interesting experience. I love my time working with the kids and feeling like I made a difference in their lives. I did not love upper management, the gray area between being upper management and being a regular floor staff, and how little clinical work was actually able to be done in this environment. It was a supportive work environment in terms of floor staff making you feel safe with the kids but the management was terrible – no communication, very little positive feedback, and very little room for growth. DYS overall is very secretive, old colony YMCA was no exception to this And, oddly enough, they do not provide references if you do choose to work elsewhere – even if you do a very good job.
Pros
Supportive floor staff, making a difference in the lives of kids, an interesting experience
Cons
Terrible benefits, very little room for growth, poor communication with upper management, poor program management overall
Maitenance on equipment and pool systems, also fixing the building, doing paperwork.
Maintenance, Engineer, Custodial (Former Employee) –  6420 60th Dr Ne, Marysville, WA 98270March 31, 2016
This is a great company nice people to work with. Its a family type job we all help each other and are there for each other. Once a year we shut down each facility for a week to do repairs as a team. I also liked that the workers get benefits.
Pros
Good exsperiances and great people to work with
Cons
Managment looks past the abilities one has to move up in the company.
A very family and loving environment
Child Watch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJanuary 10, 2016
A typical day at work was always a blast considering that I was always working with children ! I learned a lot from my employees and from the kids, if I had to pick one it would be patients! The management in my department was great because I was the manager but overall the YMCA management was not so great. My co workers for the most part were awesome and a great group people to be around and to learn from. The most enjoyable part about the job was seeing the look on the kids face when they would show their parents what they had learned that day in child watch.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
no benefits