YMCA Employee Reviews in United States

Found 8,589 reviews matching the search
Fun and Positive Work Environment
YMCA of Waterbury - Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Watertown, CTJuly 28, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of having fun, having a positive attitude, and spending the day outside entertaining the children with various outdoor activities. Through the days I learned that children get bored very easily and you must stay on your toes and keep them going to give them the best experience. I also learned to work well in a group with other co-workers and to use my resources to figure out things to do on down time. The managers were very strict seeing that we were responsible for peoples' children, yet also very positive and encouraging to be the best we could be. The hardest part of the job was having to learn to manage children in disagreements or negative comments towards one another. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the children interact with one another, and having a great time at their outdoor camp.
Pros
Outside all day, a great big staff
Cons
Breaks, less than minimum wage
Excellent work environment and very Helpful Staff
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Desert Hot Springs, CAJuly 28, 2016
I have had a very positive experience thus far. The hours are conducive, the staff is very encouraging and this has been an extremely progressive opportunity to work with the youth.
Fun and flexible work
Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJuly 27, 2016
By far the most fun of any of my jobs. The only downfall is that they don't pay very well or offer full-time employment. Perfect if you are in school and enjoy working in the community with children.
Pros
Flexible schedule and very fufilling
Cons
Subpar pay and not full-time
Fun place to work with the youth
Child Care Site Director (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 27, 2016
You spend the first hour or two preparing for what activities you will do with the kids. The co workers are fun young people and it is easy to connect with the kids.
Great workplace with a ton of learning oppurtunities
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 27, 2016
This was a wonderful place to work. I enjoyed all of my students and my time with my coworkers. THe most satisfying feeling overall was making a change in a child's life and seeing them blossom!
Fun activities for kids
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, PAJuly 27, 2016
I enjoy meeting new people. I enjoy working with the kids and making sure there enviorment clean. they thought me to swim
Learned that management can ruin everything
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 27, 2016
A typical day for the YMCA was a 7-8 hour shift with children doing fun activities and enjoying building them up to go into the right direction. I learned that if leadership is not doing their job correctly, it truly does effect staff. As far as management, I just wish I was blessed with better leadership. There wasn't a day that went by that they didn't make an "mistake" and find a way to blame it on their employees. My co-workers weren't half bad; but they didn't make the job any easier. The hardest part of the job for was trying to meet our goals feeling as though I was the only one trying to work to achieve it. My most enjoyable part of the job was spending time with sweetest, funniest, children in the world.
Pros
Building relationships, connecting with kids
Working with the boss
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Hightstown, NJJuly 27, 2016
Working closely with the Aquatics Director for the YMCA. Guarded during swim lessons. Always a relaxed environment.
Office Work
Scorekeeper, Coach, Referee, Recreation Asstant (Former Employee) –  Darlington, SCJuly 27, 2016
Sitting at a desk, answering phone calls, help people get signed up for whatever different event we have going on during that time.
Good start up
MEND Mind and Theory Leader (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 26, 2016
Very good start up and transitional job, however there is not room for growth.Enjoyed making a difference in kids lifes when the needed it the most.
Cons
no room for gowing

Want to know more about YMCA?

Ask a question
Great Job Environment
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 26, 2016
I love working for the YMCA of San Francisco. The organization as a whole really strives for youth empowerment. I've seen generations and generations of Y kids go through the Y and end up working as staff. Specifically speaking about the branch I work at Chinatown, you really get a sense of community there. Its a community not just comprised of the staff that work there, but also the community members. Its a great example of how one organization was introduced and how the community transformed it to be what it is today. The Y provides families who otherwise would not have the opportunities to have their kids learn, ballet, karate, art, swimming and camping.
Pros
You're rewarded by all the lives you affect just with a simple smile and welcome.
Cons
Non-Profit, the pay, its not competitive but you love what you do.
Wonderful work environment
Referral and Resource Network Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 25, 2016
This is a great organization that stands behinds its mission. They truly understand the work life balance which is reflected in the flexible nature of the management. The employees are wonderful and supportive.
energetic
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 25, 2016
It takes a special kind of person to deal with someone else children 5 or maybe 6 times a week.Try to keep your business and work life separate.
Good Place to work with flexibility
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, OHJuly 25, 2016
This is a good place to work if you want flexibility. They provide paid training in CPR. The best part about the job was working with the members.
Pros
flexibility in schedule
Cons
low pay
Great
Child Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIJuly 25, 2016
Great company, great environment great people and staff and opportunities for everyone all around you. I loved working with the kids.
Negative work environment with unstable staffing
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTJuly 24, 2016
A typical day at the YMCA was doing the work of two lead teachers and constantly working overtime. Low staff morale and high turnover contributed greatly to the "us vs. them" mentality of separate classrooms and staff bullying other staff. I worked under 3 directors in 4 months of employment. The YMCA organization did not provide training for my position, merely shared propaganda about their services. I did not feel that my concerns were heard or supported by upper level management. Working an average of 45-50 hours (just above minimum wage) per week did not earn me insurance, as you have to work full-time for 6 months. After the first 6 months the only benefit employees receive is a $25 stipend, referred to as "insurance."
Pros
Opportunities for overtime and certifications
Cons
Pay, Poor Benefits
Not good
Personal Trainer/ Outreach Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NE 68107July 22, 2016
No room for advancement. The company downsized and had been planning on doing so for over a year but only gave the employees 4 weeks notice of the change. Nobody was able to start looking and prepare for the lifestyle change. The management & CEO was NO good. They were only concerned about sales & raising money to look good on paper.
Fun activities with kids
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Medford, NJJuly 22, 2016
Great first job for it gave me the ability to work with kids and others. They also worked with me about my hours.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Not much training
Yoga Instructor (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 21, 2016
This is my favorite job ever! Great co-workers, fun environment. I love the variety of students here. It makes my job more challenging, but it provides me an opportunity for growth in my field.
Pros
Family friendly
I thoroughly enjoyed working with the clients at the Family YMCA
Adaptive Aquatics Instructor (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJuly 21, 2016
The interaction with the clients in the Adaptive Aquatics Program make the job worth doing. This is especially true as the individuals in the program make improvements. Thanks to a knowledgeable supervisor, I learned about the benefits of working out in the water.
Pros
Client interaction
Cons
Compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.