YMCA
3,682 reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

After School Program that goes beyond homework
Club Leader (Current Employee), Whittier, CAJune 28, 2015
Pros: Teacher training, Networking, communication, creative freedom, field trips
Cons: Part time assignment, no benefits, no certainty of assignments during low enrollment days.
Reach for the Stars is a state and federal granted After School Program within the Whittier City School District, partnered with the YMCA of Greater Whittier and other divisions in Whittier, California. Hired as a Group Leader, my position requires me to work with a set students, providing jovial enrichment involving daily homework assistance, nutritional meals and snacks, as well as daily allotment of physical fitness. What my position allows me to do is work in a pleasant environment at a chosen elementary school servicing students in grades Transitional Kindergarten through 5th grade. Although – more... the majority of my time is spent with a specific group of students, I am given opportunity to lead instruction to all of the students in the program, for a selected amount of time. I draft quarterly approved lesson plans that include but are not limited to Math, Science, STEM, Arts & Crafts, Cooking & Nutrition, and Sports & Fitness. Arriving at a friendly staffed site, I gather materials needed for each day. Dressed in my required Program shirt, I welcome students, take attendance, and engage with students, staff and parents. I have learned to maintain a high level of energy in my job while keeping a firm awareness for students' safety and best interest. The hardest part of the job is the challenge to conduct a thorough activity that students find enjoyable as well as enriching, in a set amount of time, and staying within a sensible budget. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the smiles and excitement on the students' faces after an activity because that reassures the objective was met in a positive way. It is this reassurance that allows me provide the best care I can each day. Simultaneously I am developing a hands-on feel for the teaching profession. – less
wonderful place to work
Membership Sales Representative (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 28, 2015
Pros: great people, paid 30 min break, encouraging work place
Cons: some of the residents were difficult
Working at the YMCA was a pretty relaxed environment and the members were generally pleasant. The management there was amazing they cared about your safety. My co-workers were equally as amazing, it was a very cheerful group of people. The hardest part about my job was dealing with some of the residents. But i loved my job because I had some freedom in my attire and I had a pretty good schedule that allowed me to still attend school.
fun and full of enjoyment
Counselor (Former Employee), Edmond, OKJune 28, 2015
Pros: free snacks and field trips
Cons: enjuries
first we start of with a fun group participation song, then we check and see who all has homework or not so we can assist them with it. then we do group activities by age groups. i learned a lot such as patience and different things i can use in the world like sign language and different other languages. co workers were great and full on energy. theres no hard part to this job. best job in the world if you ask me. working with kids is everything. thats the most enjoyable part of it all.
SUMMER JOB
DIVISION LEADER (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJune 28, 2015
Pros: GREAT PLACE
Cons: GREAT PLACE
YMCA IS A GREAT AND SAFE PLACE TO WORK AT HAD A LOT OF FUN LOVED MY JOB THE STAFF IS GREAT WORKED THERE FOR THREE SUMMERS CANT COMPLAIN YMCA ROCKS.
YMCA
Sports Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee), Dayton, OHJune 27, 2015
Great place to work! Fun safe environment.

• Responsible for maintaining documentation within the sports’ database for youth programs.
• Organized, and led several Boys and Girls Basketball teams, Soccer teams, and Flag Football camps.
• Oversaw government sponsored nutritional lunch programs
Best Childcare Job
Child Care Provider (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAJune 27, 2015
Amazing job. Taking care of children all day and helping them to learn new things and just playing all day. Best job ever.
High entertaining setting with games, food, books and great kids.
Y Club Staff and Camp Counselor (Former Employee), St. Louis MO.June 27, 2015
Going to the kid's schools after final classes ended my co-workers and I would get the kids play station along with the lunch tables and learning or book sections set up. They would all come and meet us in the gym. We helped with homework, read books, played games and greeted parents as they came to pick up their child at the end of the day. I learned to have patients and how to tackle situations appropriately working with the kids at the Y. The most enjoyable part of my job there were the kids period. They had a way of forcing you to be happy, smile and have fun in your darkest days, it gave me a taste of my childhood working with the children.
Safe environment for swimmers.
Lifeguard/ Swim Instructor (Former Employee), Joliet, ILJune 26, 2015
I provided safety for the guests of the YMCA. I learned how to work well with the team of lifeguards as well as provide friendly service to those who came into the YMCA. It was nice to build relationships with some of the faces who came in regularly. It became stressful when there were several people in the pool.
liked the staff management was...
Lead Teacher (Former Employee), Winooski, VTJune 26, 2015
Winooski location: I liked the staff, but managerially it was terrible. The staff are treated very poorly, by management, but no one will speak up because the director has everyone deduced into Stockholm syndrome, frequently makes the staff cry over little things because of the way they are talked to.
Working with kids at a Christian Day Camp
Cashier (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJune 26, 2015
My experience was great, I learned that kids need a role model to look up to and teaching and learning go hand in hand. the hardest part of the job was leaving the kids because of so much love we had for each other.
Amazing place to work with kids and people in the field of physical culture
Swim Instructor/Lifeguard (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 26, 2015
Pros: rapid breaks
Cons: healthcare
maintained safe environment for the participants and coworkers;
helped members to improve their physical skills and gain self esteem;
maintained professional office job (answered calls, emails);
organized fun and productive fitness classes for people different ages and needs
Semi-productive work environment
JUNIOR CAMP COUNSELOR McCormick Tribune (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 25, 2015
Overall, the YMCA was semi-productive because they were much more organized and had everything planned out. I never had any trouble with them when it was time for payday or when it when it came to taking days off for emergencies.
Love working with diverse students
Asst ECE Teacher, P.M. Room Director, Head Teacher (Current Employee), Vernon, CTJune 25, 2015
Pros: supportive staff
Cons: $
Working with a lot of women staff can be tricky at times. My first program director was super nice but not very helpful. It took me leaving her program to work for another director for someone to recognize how educated and qualified I was for a better position. The staff became like family, good and bad. This team really pulled through when I was going through tough times. As a single mom it became hard financially to support myself and my child. The $$ is ok but the amount of hours given is not even enough to support myself. While working at this company I have had my phone shut off a few times, my cable shut off and a few other utilities cut off due to non payment because I did not make enough to pay them. I have struggled working for this company and in 2 years as qualified as I am, I still do not have a full time position. Be prepared to be working a second job
Productive and fun workplace.
Team Leader (Current Employee), Paterson, NJJune 25, 2015
It is an amazing experience. It allowed me to take a leadership role which required me to take on responsibility. As well as applying the appropriate guidelines necessary discipline, I also able to cope and interactive with my students. The staff are all awesome people and I love working with them. It is definitely a comfortable workplace environment.
Great organization that creates a positive environment
Swim Lesson Instructor (Current Employee), Kansas City, MissouriJune 25, 2015
Important community relationship.
Helps people achieve their best.
Very values based.
I enjoy working for the YMCA and have done so since 2007.
All day camp
Intern (Former Employee), Rochester, NYJune 25, 2015
Pros: free lunch, and exercise
Cons: very hot
I worked from 9-4pm. And went to the summer day camp and helped the teachers with the children. Taught the children games, and helped them during their learning process.
Fun and productive workplace.
Member Service Advisor (Current Employee), Shoreview, MNJune 24, 2015
Learned a lot about the customer service world and gained experience as a supervisor that will be helpful when looking for future employment.
very positive work place.Child Watch and Kids Zone
YMCA -Child Watch (Former Employee), Spokane, WAJune 24, 2015
I had the most positive co workers ever. always got the kids going and involved in activities. parents were always happy and bringing the children back while they worked out. I also worked in the kids zone for awhile which was monitored by one staff member at a time and the aged group was a bit older so it was nice switching it up and getting to know all the families.
Great family and loving environment
Floater/ Infant Teacher (Current Employee), Boise, IDJune 24, 2015
My typical day consists of spending time with children that i have bonded with as well as co-workers i have bonded with. I love getting to laugh with the people i work with and be able to feel fully comfortable with all of the people around me. My favorite part of my job is making the children i work with smile and seeing how happy their familes are to see them happy.
I had a Blast while here. Meeting the People and helping out whnever I could.
Desk Clerk (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 24, 2015
Pros: Good people and hours
Cons: if your releif dint show, you had to stay, which happened to oftend with no benifits
I Like to work for a company with room for growth.I Had gave my all and all to the company. but was overlooked by the director due to favoritism. but that just made me to be more detemined

1 2 3 4 5

About YMCA

The YMCA was established over 160 years ago as a charity dedicated to the health of both individuals and communities. Our focus – Read more

YMCA Salaries