YMCA Employee Reviews in United States

Found 8,293 reviews matching the search
YMCA of Broward County / South Florida
Executive Assistant to CEO and CFO (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 5, 2016
Great company, great management, great co workers. Job is rewarding in that you get to see the results of hard work in the faces of the children and families you serve.

Hardest part is sometimes early mornings and late night events, fund raising, event planning. In the end it is worth it.

Most enjoyable part is the fun, diversity, and always a changing day with new challenges and rewards.
Pros
Very rewarding to see the results of hard work in the faces of children and families served
Cons
Often very early mornings and late night meetings / events
YMCA of SD is awful
Program Director (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 25, 2016
Worked here for a really long time and the culture and everything about this employer got awful

They do not model there mission and upper management has no morals or ethics. The HR department has been in shambles for years and the VP's do not fight for what is right or for their staff.

I left on my own accord because I no longer could support what was going on within the organization and watched several long standing employees leave or be pushed out for asking questions
Great Place To Work, Non-prof wont pay well
Activities Leader (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 21, 2016
I enjoyed my time working for the YMCA. I worked in the after school program with children grades 1 - 8, mainly (5-7)

I learned so much about effective communication toward children and other staff. The mangers worked well together. The pay was not enough to do much.

I enjoyed working with kids so it was fun for me. I wish we had more training on how to deal with certain situation that occured among children (i.e fighting, bulling, comment, etc)

The company has great goals, benefits and helps the community. But would have needed more to money stay.
Pros
Learned alot by observing, Had Fun activites for kids
Cons
Low pay, not enough training
Teaching yoga and relaxation techniques
Yoga Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mililani Town, HIApril 27, 2016
I love working at the YMCA. It is a second family and everyone enjoys their time together. I started out teaching Vinyasa Flow and soon realized that most of my class did not enjoy it. I learned to adapt and teach a style everyone can enjoy. The class has grown from when I started and it makes me feel good when patrons come and tell me how good they feel after class.
The management at the YMCA is supportive and the co-worker are friendly. When someone can not be there for a class they are quick to step in and help out.
The hardest part about the YMCA is the day I will have to leave. I will miss everyone!
Child care services
Gail Allen, Family Services Director (Former Employee) –  Oak Park, IL 60302April 25, 2016
A typical day was to provide activities in an early morning program before school. Then there was a long break until school was dismissed and the students returned to the building. We would then provide more physically active after school programs. I learned about the different types of functional and dysfunctional family cultures. The management was very fluid and inconsistent as personnel changed. My coworkers were dedicated and competent professionals. The hardest part of the job was the long break while students were in school. The most enjoyable part of the job was the gratitude of the parents.
Pros
met some very good workers, children, and parents
Cons
long unpaid break
Very productive place dealing with sports and the needs of kids from elmentary to high school.
Activity Coordinator Intern (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKMay 4, 2016
A typical day at work i am mainly interacting with the kids getting to know them and teaching them different things. I learned how to work with ethnic groups, work different program on the computer, and mainly organizing and programing. My co-workers were awesome we all work as a team when needed and got along just fine. The hardest part of the job for me may have been working with the computer because i am a more hand on type of person.
productive and simple work experience
Child watch instructor (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYMay 8, 2016
Working at the YMCA was fun and easy and sometimes draining depending on the amount of children I had to watch. I enjoyed working with children although it became challenging at times for me to try and keep them occupied. Overall I can say that it was a learning experience and I do feel that I grew from it. The YMCA taught me the value of providing a fun and enjoyable experience for not just the kids but the adults as well.
Pros
free gym access
Cons
very slow work environment
Good Co-worker, Often Busy. Really good Job not so much people. Members tend to be Rude and extremely unsatisfied
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Boardman, OHApril 22, 2016
A normal day would be busy, but we get slow days, I've learned a lot of Patience since My Job requires a lot of patience. Learned to work under stress. Manager Really don't care about work the let you do whatever you want. Co- Workers besides manager are awesome. Hardest Part of the Job is that the Boss doesn't know what she is doing and we have learned the hard way and when she tries to help she gets on our way also Summertime, Most enjoyable part is that i enjoy my co-workers we grown so much in friendship I like that.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No benefits, 15 mins break
Aquatis Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2016
Typical day at work, includes scheduling lessons, meetings about ways to improve the company and to meet the members needs within the community. The most enjoyable part of the job is scheduling a lesson that continues for months and years to come and the children exceed the swimming levels that we provide. The hardest part of the job is maximizing on the space that we have. Being centered in Harlem, more and more people are looking to swim and with one pool, it is difficult to effectively space out the many lessons that we provide, A larger building would be sufficient.
Pros
Staff is friendly and accommodating
Cons
Scheduled Meetings are rarely followed through with upper management
Productive fun with children
Site Coordinator and Head Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ft. Thomas, KYMay 2, 2016
We are learning the Life Cycle of a Butterfly and Plant's. I make the day full of fun and exciting. Right now we are watching our caterpillars turn into butterflies. Our seed's turn into plant's, My co-worker is a great help. We work as a team. She helps get things ready for the day. My management is great. They are there anytime we need them. The hardest part of my job is leaving the children at the end of the day. My enjoyable part is watching the children grow and when that light bulb goes off and they know what you have been talking about.
Pros
Working with young children, parents, teaching
Cons
No benefits, not enough hrs
Fun Work-place
Gymnastics Coach (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, PAMay 3, 2016
My typical day at work was coming in and setting up the gym first thing. This was a demanding job. You needing to make sure the gym was set up safely for the children. We needed to show our divided attention to the kids and help them with whatever they need. The management was great and so were the co-workers. We all worked as a team to better the gymnasts. The Hardest part of the job was dealing with 10 plus kids at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the kids learn and grow.
Pros
Interactive
Cons
Short shifts
I enjoy tedium.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 6, 2016
I entered the YMCA and asked if I could volunteer there. I was accepted the same day and earned about 1 hour a day over the next couple weeks.
From this experience I learned what kind of feeling I'd want from a normal job. The ability to walk in, be asked to do a task or set of tasks, complete said task(s), and go home. I wasn't asked to do anything particularly difficult though. Just cleaning or wiping down exercise equipment. I did my work alone.
My supervisors were kind to me. I enjoyed having a clear objective to strive for, even if it was only for an hour a day.
Interesting workplace with amazing staff
Childcare Teacher (Former Employee) –  Butler, PAMay 8, 2016
A typical day at the YMCA Child Care Program involved setting the classroom up, preparing breakfast, playing with children until it was time for them to go to class, going home for a few hours, coming back to care for the children after class, helping with homework, making a snack for the children, playing with them until their parents or grandparents picked them up, putting the chairs back up and cleaning the classroom. My co-workers were friendly. The hardest part of this job was traveling back and forth from the school. The most enjoyable part was being able to work with children.
Pros
friendly staff, higher than minimum wage pay
Cons
location
Productive and fun workplace that keeps you busy
Organized and lead (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 8, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of keeping these kids busy and always having fun. I learned that these kids are special and all have different variety of personalities. My management and Co-workers were always on top of what they needed to accomplish and get done with the best attitudes possible. The hardest part of the job was staying engaged with the kids and knowing where each and every kid was. The best part of the job was putting a smile on all kids faces, and making sure that every kid knew who you were when they left
Pros
free lunches and traveling
Cons
short breaks
All in a Day's Work
Personal Trainer and Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bristol, TNMay 9, 2016
Everyday is a learning experience. You grow to love all the members and clients. Their success becomes their success.

The hardest part of the job is taking your work home with you to write up all your client's workouts for the next day. The most enjoyable part of the job other than getting to exercise is the comrade and fellowship enjoyed by most everyone there and helping in something as personal as weight loss goals and health and fitness goals.
Pros
free membership
Cons
only part-time personal training work available
Fun and Silly Workplace
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Freehold, NJMay 10, 2016
Guide children in crafts, play, games, and learning about ABCs.
Supervise indoor and outdoor play.
Sing songs with children and dance to music
Change their soiled diapers and guide in toilet training.
Provide their breakfast, lunch, and snack.
Complete the daily sheets including their meals, diaper changes, and overall performance
Have their backpacks and daily sheets ready for the parent upon arrival.
Assist in CPR & First Aid as needed.
Pros
Endless Laughs
Cons
Limit for hours
Fun and a lot of laughter
Floating Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXMay 16, 2016
This Job I floated (traveled) from school to school, often having 20 children and 2-3 staff members under me at one time. I maintained and operated sites on many levels such as service operations and making sure each site was fully stocked with supply's.
I also dealt heavily with the children and their parents during the school year and worked with the special needs children during the summer. I learned a lot from the summer kids and parents alike and i am very grateful for what i learned as now I am able to apply that to my own children who have special needs.
I enjoyed the children I was able to watch daily.
Babysitting (Former Employee) –  Fairborn, OHMay 16, 2016
A typical day at work was too many children of all different ages all blended into a room together. I learned that one must find ways to keep the older children occupied so that the younger children did not get hurt. Another thing that helped was to find ways to incorporate the younger group of children with the older children so that they were all playing together.
Pros
free membership to employees
Cons
too many kids in too many age groups
Safe and respected place to work
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 16, 2016
The most enjoyable part of this job was unlike babysitting, being a camp counselor allows you to develop friendships with the kids for a full time week or two weeks. We have the privilege of supporting their passions and helping them grow as young individuals. They can be handfuls at times but my co-counselors made the job way more fun! I would say the hardest part of my job was pleasing all the kids and making sure they weren't missing home too much and enjoying camp.
Pros
Being with the kids for a week to develop friendships
Cons
No breaks, full time
Great family work place
Child Care Teacher (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 16, 2016
I worked in the childcare, so my typical work day was looking over children and planing out activities. I learned to care and take on responsibility over the members children. My co-workers were fun and easy to get along with. The hardest part of this job was trying to not get emotionally attached to the children. The most enjoyable part was watching the children grow through out the years.
Pros
Being in a fun and happy work place.
Cons
The day i had to leave after years of watch the kids grow.