YMCA Employee Reviews in United States

Found 8,578 reviews matching the search
good co workers and fun work space
Life Guard/ Swim instructor/ Water Safety Educator (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CA 95126April 6, 2016
though I don't get to socialize as a lifeguard on duty the time I'm spent outside of work with my coworkers was enjoyable and exciting.
While on duty my team is focused on maintaining a safe environment wether they are guarding or teaching swim lessons. The hardest part of the job would be split shifts, entirely unbearable, nothing like coming in at 5-8am and returning 5-9pm. The most fun I've had during my time at the Y would be teaching kids to swim its so fun to watch each of my students progress and express themselves as only children can. Management at the Y was very tolerant and accommodating.
Pros
fun, cool staff, manageable hours
Cons
raises are 25¢ a year, no consequences for tardiness
Great experience and fun environment
Assistant Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 2, 2016
At the YMCA working in the ASES program your typical day was a day including fun filled activities with a purpose. You made your job how you wanted your day to go. Working with students and being that voice in their life that they may not have is one of the greatest accomplishments I had. The hardest days that I had were ones where a student had a bad day at school. Feeling like it was one of your own children that was going to have consequences for their actions. Everyone wanted to enjoy their work and it started with the management. They made it fun and set the culture for the supervisory staff to bring that culture to the school sites and staff.
Pros
Great work experience, fun, career advancement, build rapport
Cons
Compensation, part time
Great Place to Work and Grow
Aquatics Director (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 4, 2016
The YMCA of the Pikes Peak Region has a great habit of training and investing in their employees. They are financially sound and are working on creating one of the best cultures I have ever seen. With many non-profits, there is an issue with work/life balance and tacking on extra responsibilities. But your experience will be what you make of it. You will never have a typical day at a Y because on any given day there will be any number of different programs happening or members who want to speak with you. I hardly sit longer than 2 hours at a time. Your health and physical fitness are encouraged in the branches. Management tries to be as open as they can be and co-workers are one of the best parts of the job. The most enjoyable part, though, is the impact you make every day. You can actually see the effect your influence has on the lives of others daily! The hardest part of the job is the time. Although it is a "40-hour a week" job, you will likely be working 50+ on average due to the nature of a non-profit. It does depend on the area of focus.
Pros
employee investment, good management, different every day
Cons
hours, balance
Improper returns grows withdrawn investments
Aqua/Land Zumba® Instructor (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHMarch 8, 2016
Political dismissals to all current personnel applicants.
Diminished employee loyalty, confidence, relationship, retention, and advancement for an uncompetitive opening.
No courtesy interview to any current employee.
Maintain the network, withdraw investment.
Horrible ventilation, uncommunicative management.
Figure-heads with no employee relationship.
"Good Ol' Boys Club"
Pros
Complimentary gym membership
Cons
Multitude of investments without matching wage
Keeping a fun and safe enviroment for the children
Child Development (Current Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLMarch 21, 2016
A typical day at work would be another teacher and I working together to get a craft together in order to keep the children satisfied. helping with homework, keeping drama low, and working with the children to have an over all fun time. I have learned how to communicate with everyone around me, I have been told that people feel as if I am an approachable person and easy to talk to. Management was alright it wasn't the best but we always got the job done. Working at the YMCA there was not a "hard" part, I have always found it an easy job to do I naturally fit with people and children so I had no problem working with all ages and all kinds of people. The most enjoyable part of my job would be sitting down and actually getting to know each and every child. Right when I open up the room the children get so excited to see me and it is the most hear warming feeling in the world.
Pros
experience
Cons
no benifits
I loved working here
Youth and Family Staff (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 10, 2016
I worked in Child Watch and the Teen Center. The supervisors were generally wonderful, allowing me to bring my children in when I was unable to find babysitters during my shifts. Unfortunately, the teen center was always understaffed. Very few of the games we had were functional and the sign in/out system was informal and it would have been very easy to lose a child.
In child watch I would frequently see new hires given more responsibilities that I had been asking for, despite me being more qualified and experienced.
The staff in these areas make slightly higher than minimum wage, are not given raises at any time, and are not allowed to work full time. Benefits were only offered to full time employees. However, working there did provide a free membership.
Pros
Free membership, fun atomosphere
Cons
No chance for growth, low wages
productive environment for the children and workers
Child care (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXMarch 7, 2016
a typical day for work for me would be easy going considering the schedule for work was understandable about school and school activites.I learned about being more interactive and patient with children considering the various age groups we would work with.Management was organized, each day for work there would be a team leader with a scheduled room depending with the ages.The hardest thing about the job would be being patience with different children however it taught me to be patient with any type of child throughout the day.The most enjoyable part of the job would be the environment, everyone would make the best out of the situation, for the employees we would have events in childcare where you could dress up and make the workplace more enjoyable.
Pros
flexible schedule, easy going employees
Cons
short breaks, minor advancements
Fun work environment, Low pay
Member Services Director Downtown Louisville (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 19, 2015
It's a great place to work for students or anyone looking for a part time position. They do not make it easy to advance in the company because they usually hire "friends" or "personal" referrals. Also, for it to be a non profit company, they seem to be very money hungry individuals and do not seek into the community to raise funds the way they should. Most managers claim they abide by the mission of the Y, but most of them are the complete opposite. THIS DOES NOT GO FOR ALL THE YMCA's!! JUST THE DOWNTOWN LOUISVILLE, KY YMCA and some others in the surrounding area. I have worked for other YMCAs and the rest are GREAT!!
Pros
friendly environment, member relations
Cons
management are very self absorbed
Membership Rep
Membership Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 5, 2016
This is in Roanoke, VA. HORRIBLE place to work. They are changing rules all the time. The higher ups have no idea what is going on. They mgmt back stabs you, nice to your face & horrible behind your back. CEO doesn't care about staff, never has meetings to see how things are. Just money hungry and want to get as much as they can from members. No pay raises, no acknowledgement for YEARS or DECADES or service. No thank you's or acknowledgement of any job well done. They do not care about the mentally ill, homeless, druggies or seniors like the LIE and claim to.
Pros
Members are GREAT
Cons
Mgmt knows NOTHING
1st Job
Referee (Former Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXApril 6, 2016
This was my first job when I was very young. On a typical day, I would referee either basketball or soccer for most of the day. Each day had about 5 back to back games.

I learned about the sports I refereed and how to handle difficult parents who disagreed with you. Management was serviceable, but hours bounced around a lot. Most of my co-workers I worked with were good people who enjoyed their job.

The hardest parts of the job were the parents and the long hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was spending time with sports I loved.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Unreliable schedules, Long hours, No breaks
Certified Personal Trainer and Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Westfield, NJJanuary 29, 2016
Fun, engaging, management and co-workers very fair, good-natured, and respectful. Clientele diverse, well-educated, and with interesting backgrounds. Overall, a positive environment.
Pros
great clientele, flexibility in scheduling, long-leash
Cons
limited opportunities for advancement, healthcare and other benefits
A fun, fast paced environment. Great colleagues. Exceptional professional Development opportunities
Site Director- Curtis Guild Elementary School (Former Employee) –  East Boston, MAFebruary 24, 2016
I learned a great deal from the people I worked with. Having the support of my colleagues was one of the best parts about my employment with the YMCA of Greater Boston. The YMCA had great progressional development and learning opportunities for all staff.

During my employment I was abel to grow has a manager and develop stronger interpersonal skills, problem solving skills, decisions making skills and so much more.

The most difficult part of the job was the work life balance. There were many times I needed to work well past the eight hours a day. Although I enjoyed what I was doing sometimes it was a detriment to my personal life, which many of us need in order to be the best we can be in any career.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to work the with students. I loved being able to connect with them, help them with their school work and just be their someone to talk to.
very good place to work
Community Resource Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 14, 2016
The YMCA Youth Development Program of South Florida is an awesome place to work. The Y has such an impact and a positive force in the communities that they serve. They raised over $150,000 in 2015 to make sure that the doors are open to all, no matter where they come from. One of the very unique qualities of youth development is the special needs department which serves special needs children and their families from kindergarten to their adult age.
Pros
great benefits, vision, dental and YMCA membership to full time staff
Corrupt management, nepotism runs deep, terrible pay, ridiculous hours
Director of Membership and Wellness (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 20, 2016
The management here is incredibly corrupt and the CEO spends most of his time employing his family members and ensuring their job satisfaction and security over contributing staff members. Directors are expected to work 50-60 hours a week while barely being compensated minimum wage for full time employees. There's no support network and no system to keep the questionable ethics in check. It's a great place if you're looking for minimum wage, part-time work but definitely not somewhere to waste time trying to build a career. There's absolutely no opportunity to advance once you gain directorship.
Very Flexible working Enviroment
Program (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NJNovember 18, 2015
I typically come in and go to office and do my task that need to be accomplished for my day. My co workers are nice but if people don't know you they will not talk to you. Management is very tight. you have to feel your way through different people or they will make your job very difficult. The hardest thing about my job is not having set direction. Sometimes you may come in and have a list of things to do and sometimes you may come in and have nothing to do. Sometimes you may have so much to do they except you to bend and get it done before you leave cause they waited till the last minute to ask you to complete it. Can be very nerve racking but you learn to get used to it. The best part about my job is the understanding. People here understand if you have kids, or have school or need a day off. They don't harass you about it or write you up. They understand. Also, i love being able to help families and other children in the community that need our help as a Y.
Pros
Free Meembership and employee discounts
Cons
Advancement and Raises
Happy environment, inspiring
Camp Counselor & before/after school care (Former Employee) –  Seekonk, MANovember 12, 2015
A typical day would be to make lesson plans, team building exercises,and dances to teach to students/ campers throughout the day. The kids taught me the most. Learned how to communicate effectively with them and their parents. Also, that every child is significantly special in their own way. Management was great for a couple years and trickled down slightly. Co-workers were amazing especially when it came to combining large camps and executing a team building practice. The most difficult part would have been either speaking with very frustrated parent.
Pros
The children, co-workers, dance, art, outdoors
Cons
lack of raises and keeping track of paychecks
non-profit internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAFebruary 9, 2016
A typical day at this internship would be my supervisor assigning projects and then I would work alone upstairs on it. It was nice to work on it at my own pace. The management wasn't very communicative or clear on what exactly the projects were going to do in the end. My co-workers were very nice and helpful. The hardest part of the job was the fact that I felt that there weren't any results given or a purpose of why I did some of the tasks. Also, that the communication wasn't exactly on point. The most enjoyable was that I got to work from home at times.
Pros
free parking
Cons
unpaid, no benefits or even membership while interning
Stressful and ungrateful
Sports Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Silicon Valley, CAMarch 16, 2016
Working with kids and creating a program for them to have fun is a great job to have. What makes this job difficult is the lack of help from management, your staff, and uppity community. This is a highly independent job in that you will need to be 3 people at once. You will be doing emailing, phone calls, organizing, refeereing, and coaching all at once. You never have enough staff to referee, coach, or help with backend work (emailing, phone calls, etc.).
The compensation for the amount of work you do is unfair because the entire sports program is yours. You should receive director pay, but since you work for a non-profit, you will be lucky to make anything close to $20 an hour. If you take this position, be prepared for stressful weekends, long shifts, horrible management, unreliable staff, and no direction. This particular community you work for will expect everything to be done right away and if you don't give them what they want, they will let you hear it. They won't appreciate the effort you put it, they will constantly complain and blow up your inboxes, and will bicker that the rules are too much for their little susy.
Honestly, if you take this job, I hope you will not encounter these problems, but if you have a can do attitude and you are ready for the challenge, this job is for you.
Pros
T-shirts. Phone allowance. Mileage allowance.
Cons
No training. No guidance. Community ungrateful. Pay. Hours. Work life balance.
Great family atmosphere where you can learn and grow.
Site Lead (Current Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILMarch 26, 2016
With the YMCA childcare programs, one can expect to plan, organize, and implement the daily activities. Mornings are for group games, a short snack time, and usually an opportunity for children to earn "points" by answering quiz questions on folktales or stories I've read aloud. Afternoons are dedicated to lots of physical activity and a break for homework/study time.

During my four years with the YMCA, I've developed my skills in time management, flexibility, detail orientation, and leadership. I've had experience in leading a team of counselors during the summer, and I am often the only leader at my school site during the school year.

The hardest part of this job is flexibility. Whether a field trip has been substituted for another at the last minute, or a child has a different opinion about homework, it is important to always be flexible. Having a set routine is important but there has to be some leeway for a random fun activity, a new activity, or even conflict resolution.

Overall, the most enjoyable part of this job is the gratitude from parents, coworkers, and the children.
Pros
Free office treats, free CPR/First Aid training
Cons
Very few benefits, flexible work hours
Horrible Place, good employees outside of pool area
Lead Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 6, 2016
Typically a long drawn out day. The management there are not even reliable at certain centers. Most of the managers are temporary due to the company's wages. Since it is a "non-profit organization," they do not give raises what so ever. They are advertised as a family center but it operates like it is a building. I wouldn't recommend Lifeguards or anyone to this job.
Pros
Paid Breaks
Cons
No Raises