YMCA Employee Reviews

Found 9,500 reviews matching the search
Productive and fun workplace with a pool
Childcare Counselor (Current Employee) –  Sumter, SCJanuary 5, 2017
I am greeted by front desk staff with a smile and friendly conversation.I learn about the children who come through the doors daily or biweekly.They all have different personalities. My co-workers are great to be around.The hardest part of the job is nothing. The most enjoyable part of the job is the time I get to spend with the children. Every day there is something they do that makes me smile or makes me laugh. Lots of love and infinite patience is also very important!
Pros
Working with children
Cons
nothing
Productive Experience.....
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2017
Overall this is good place to learn all aspects of the operations. If you have a good team, everyone is committed to the same goal! Executive Leadership is questionable, as some supervisors do not possess the skill set needed to lead a team. With that said, it places more responsibility on others to carry the weight of their supervisors.
Pros
Retirement Plan, Health Insurance, Tuition Reimbursement
Cons
Some Executive Directors should be re-interviewed annually as a basis for their role.
Ymca
YMCA Membership Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Melrose, MAJanuary 3, 2017
-A typical day at the YMCA is very easy, I would come in, register members and non-members for classes, give tours, enter data.

-I have learned how to work well with others

-Management is very reliable

-My former co-workers were very reliable- and worked well in teams

- Hardest part of the Job would happen during registration periods

-The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work with members that have been coming for years to the YMCA and seeing them achieve their goals
Pros
great environment
Cons
short staff
Fun workplace with ability to interact with a lot of people.
Membership Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, MNJanuary 16, 2017
Typical day is spend meeting with potential members for tours in building. When not touring or signing people up for membership I will spend my day making over 50 calls per day and emailing inquiring members.

My coworkers would say I am a leader and a hard working individual. I make sure to always have a positive attitude and enjoy everything I do. I have great passion for sales and hope it comes across to every person I meet.
Pros
Free membership, Meet a lot of new people.
Cons
Tough to move up.
Fun and rewarding
Art Specialist, Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 29, 2016
This job was for a summer camp. I worked from May to August. It was a job where I was able to teach children to make things creatively. I also watched over them along with other camp counselors, which taught me that clear communication and patience are important when it comes to understanding everyone involved.
Pros
It was fun to get to know the other counselors and also interact with the children.
Cons
It was a challenge to find creative activities for the wide age group.
Great place to work, for the most part
Childcare Provider (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJanuary 3, 2017
I work at the YMCA in the child watch program. For the most part my job is very enjoyable. The hours are great, they work great with my school schedule, and I started off above minimum wage. In addition to that, most of the managers are very sweet and a pleasure to work for. However, after a year and a half of working there I have yet to get a raise and will not be getting for a while. For the work that I do I believe that I should get paid more.
Pros
Flexible schedules, great coworkers and staff
Cons
No advancement, Not paid enough
Safe place to work and fun coworkers
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 17, 2017
My time at the YMCA was very rewarding. I was able to not only keep the facility secure, but hang out and converse with very interesting members and coworkers in the process. For me, a typical day is patrolling all areas of the facility to make sure there is no suspicious behavior going on. If there are fights going on in the gym, I must break them. I am also responsible for throwing out anyone who should not be on the property. I was the only security officer on duty, so the hardest part of the job was trying to be multiple places at once.
Productive and fun workplace
Site Director (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 11, 2017
I get the day started by organizing my supplies to get the kids ready for a fun and busy day after school. I learned to be very patient with kids and to be a role model that they can look up to. At my site I am the manager, but overall the management is very good. Co-workers can be hit and miss, mine happens to be very good with children. The hardest part of my job is dealing with children with behavior issues. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the children smile.
Pros
Get to hang out and pay with kids all day and coach them with simple life ideas
Cons
Low pay, not many full time opportunities, hard to move up
fulfilling, encouraging, and fun work place
Judo Camp Instructor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 4, 2017
I was given easy access to the equipment that I needed in order to help run and enhance the experience of the Judo class the students.

Received much support from supervisors concerning new ideas which pertained to the development of the Class.

Co-workers where cooperative and encouraging.

teaching the students in a way they could understand benefit from individually was challenging.

Watching the Students improve significantly was the most enjoyable part of the Job.

I learned that patience, confidence and careful planning where very important tools to being a good leader.
Great place for growth
Summer Camp Director (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYDecember 15, 2016
This is a great place to start and to grow in your career. You are surrounded by a diverse group of people who all have amazing qualities and strengths to bring to the table. The diversity was a great way to gain adaptability within the workplace. Working for a non-profit is extremely rewarding and gives you a passion like no other. No day ever looks the same and you quickly learn resourcefulness and how to work in a high intensity environment.
Exciting and busy workplace with great atmosphere
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, RIDecember 30, 2016
Working at the YMCA has given me many opportunities in various fields. Overseeing children, communicating with families, and having fun are just some of the most exciting parts of working for the Y. All supervisors and managers are properly trained and excel at their jobs. The dos challenging art of the job for me was saying goodbye to the children at the end of the day. Some days it was difficult knowing that some children would rather be at the Y than at home, since their families are so busy with work and the kids just want to play. Other than that it was extremely fun and rewarding.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
short break, unpaid breaks, minimum wage
great work place for any age group
Child watch/ Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 23, 2016
The YMCA is a wonderful place for a first job or even a career. It has taught me a lot about respecting your elders and all of the employees and patrons that attend the YMCA. It has taught me that you should always be acting as if you are being watched, in a good way, so that you are giving the company a good look. The management at the YMCA that I work at are some of the nicest most selfless people that you could work with. I would highly recommend a job at the YMCA to anyone.
Rewarding job, political atmosphere.
Director of Youth and Family Programs (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 4, 2017
Working at the YMCA has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my professional life. However, the atmosphere is saturated with office politics. Individuals who work the hardest may get looked over, and others may advance. This is not a case of sour grapes from an employee that got looked over, just an observation during my tenure.
Pros
Rewarding community work
Cons
Glass ceilings, political barriers, and big-business infrastructure. Lack of diversity.
Rewarding workplace with pleasant staff and reasonable schedule
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 28, 2016
As a lifeguard the, it is expected that one maintains constant vigilance and keeps an eye on the customers to ensure their safety throughout the day. The schedules do change, so the management has to be prepared to call in substitutes, and people will look to you sometimes to fulfill that requirement. One must use their breaks to refresh themselves, and cannot leave suddenly in the middle of a shift, as it inconveniences those who also have schedules. Other than keeping watch over the customers, ones must be willing to maintain the overall condition of the pool
Pros
Good conditions
Cons
Some problems communication between coworkers and managers
dance director
Creative/Dance Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2016
♣ Under the management of the YMCA for New York City was responsible for planning, scheduling and conducting creative arts and dance programs for up to 40 children at a time.
♣ Instructed programs with attendees ranging in ages from 6 to 15 on art techniques: providing guidance and instruction as needed.
♣ Interacted with parents and YMCA management personnel in a professional and courtesy manner.
Served as a point of contact for the local YMCA branch with the general public and provided excellent customer service.
Great job for high schoolers
Gymnastics Instructor (Current Employee) –  West Bend, WIJanuary 3, 2017
I enjoy working with the kids at the Y and my fellow employees, but the YMCA does not treat their employees very well. After working there for 4 years as a consistent and loyal employee I only received one $.75 raise and had to beg for another $.50 one. This is a very common occurrence at the Y. They cut corners at every turn to avoid paying employees more than they can get away with. If you are looking for a job in teaching gymnastics or life guarding, I would strongly advice looking elsewhere.
Great work environment that taught me how to handle stressful situations effectively and professionally.
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Green, OHJanuary 3, 2017
Working as a lifeguard at the Green Family YMCA is a continuous learning experience. A typical day includes not only scanning for patrons and providing first aid care, but also being able to interact professionally with patrons and handling complaints. The most enjoyable part of the job is keeping patrons safe and seeing them have a great time at the pool!
Pros
Great management, positions are always available, great hours
Cons
Have to pay to get certified before you apply
productive weight room space
Fitness Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAJanuary 5, 2017
everyone who come int o the weight room. has there reason to be there. and everyone is working hard. co- workers are very helpful and knowledgable of the fitness and different ways to help all people from all walks of life. i like being able to answer question that people have. i don't find my job extremely hard because any challenge i like to solve because i come out with a better knowledge base for not only me, but the person that i'm helping.
Pros
experince
Cons
N/A
Great Job
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVJanuary 10, 2017
The YMCA Child Center was a blast. Working with the children and staff was amazing and I am going to miss it. A typical Day would be two to three workers with 30-40 children max. The staff would feed, play, craft, swim, and partake in sport activities with the children. The managment, Supervisor, was great. She was such a nice and motivated woman. The hardest part of my job would be having multiple sick children in the class. We take ages 3 months to 12 years of age so having sick babies with sick older children became difficult at times.
Pros
Free YMCA membership
Cons
No break
Life guarding
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 10, 2017
Normally i would check the pool deck to make sure it is clean and safe. when I am on the stand, i keep watch at the pool and make sure the members enjoy their time at the YMCA, but also maintain safe. During my breaks I check the chemicals of the pool to make certain they are at the apporpiate levels. I communicate with my co-workers and we rotate eachother on stand so we all can have a 15 mintues to use the restroom and drink water
Pros
interaction with others
Cons
being on stand during the heat and cold

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.