YMCA
3,542 reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

great organization
Wellness Staff (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMay 22, 2015
I enjoyed working with my supervisor, who did whatever was possible to ensure his staff members were comfortable and happy at work.
First job
Kids Stuff Employee (Former Employee), Andover, MNMay 22, 2015
This was the first job that I ever had, and it was the most important job. Each and everyday was an adventure. I loved working for this company.
Productive and fun workplace to help children.
Volunteer (Former Employee), Portsmouth, VAMay 22, 2015
Pros: Helping children
Children would come in and work on homework. Once homework was done, they would read individually to me and then I would test them on their comprehension. If there was something that they did not understand, I would explain it to them in a simple way.
Great atmosphere. Dismal pay
ymca employee (Current Employee), Ellicott City, MDMay 22, 2015
Pros: Free gym membership
Cons: Low pay
The day to day work is pretty basic. I don't think i've learned any new work skills that can be transfered to another job. Managements ok, co-workers are ok, and the hardest part of the job is dealing with unrealistic expectations. Working in a gym atmosphere has been enjoyable (helps me workout more).
same as before
Child Care Attendant (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMay 21, 2015
Pros: *same as before
Cons: **same as before
working for the YMCA is fun but is also challenging. The overhead management does not do anything to solve problems. We had a great small knit family in the childcare area. we all worked hard and at the same times.
High demands; low pay; constantly changing expectations
Site Director (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMay 21, 2015
I loved my elementary school. I arrived at work at 6:00 a.m. Greeted parents and children. Set up room. Engaged children in various activities to include: puzzles, reading, legos, arts & crafts; initiated character building exercises; gym time. Left morning shift at 9:00 a.m.

Returned at 3:00 to begin after school program. Supervised snacks; Outside activities. More character development exercises. I supervised one activity assistant.

At any given time, I supervised 18-27 children.

I loved the kids. I loved watching them grow.

Management kept moving the bar for success. Was asked to develop curriculum; raise money.
fast pace
Internship (Former Employee), wilmington, DEMay 21, 2015
working with the youth sports director you are working alongside children with the advancement of there athletic ability. The site was clean and had a family feel
A great and safe place for students to go after school.
Tutor (Former Employee), San Bernardino,CAMay 21, 2015
Pros: Working with great students
Cons: students who did not have a good life
A typical day at CAPS would be to set up attendence and snacks for students. Count student attendence, assist with homework filing, counsel students, easy to collaborate with management. The hardest part of my job would be breaking up fights. The most enjoyable would be working with wonderful students every day.
good place to work you are an volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 21, 2015
the place provide a lot of opportunity for volunteers. since most co-workers come there not for payment, we can always get many kind of friends from every fields. in the other words, the YMCA job can probably helps to create a networking.
Ymca
Lead Teacher (Current Employee), SKAMay 20, 2015
The greatest benefits were the children and seeing them grow and learn. the second was parent-teacher relationships. i love kids
YMCA Child Provider
Childcare Provider (Former Employee), Farmington, ILMay 20, 2015
I have worked with kids for this job and I must say that I enjoyed it very much. I feel that if you like working with kids then this is the job for you. If you have 0 patience, do not go for this job.
Every changing, fun interactive with members
Zumba Fitness Instructor (Current Employee), Edmond, OKMay 20, 2015
Lead and instruct members ranging in class sizes from 2 to 72 in Zumba fitness. Break down steps and format of basic moves and alter choreography in order for each person to get the best workout possible.
Great environment
Program Leader (Current Employee), madison county, new yorkMay 19, 2015
The entire work day is made when you see how happy the children are to see you. Everyone works together and is always willing to help.
The YMCA is a wonderful and exciting place to work.
Personal Trainer, Group Exercise Instructor (Current Employee), Appleton, WIMay 19, 2015
I enjoy working at the YMCA because I get to help people in many ways every day. From developing strong personal relationships with co-workers and members to teaching a fitness class I always feel like I am helping others.
Not an inviting place for workers
Counselor & Licensed Lifeguard (Former Employee), Woodbridge, NJMay 19, 2015
Pros: Pool
Cons: Bosses are not friendly
YMCA is ran by young children who are just trying to get paid for their summer festivities.i would not recommend leaving your child their for summer camps.
high energy
Group Leader (Former Employee), Sarasota, FLMay 19, 2015
the day would never be the same depending on the mood of the kids. I have learned to deal with children with special needs. My co workers were nice and the management was ok.
Easy, laidback, poor leadership
life guard (Former Employee), Moberly, MOMay 19, 2015
Pros: easy
Cons: boss's have no clue what they are doing.
work was simple and easy to manage, the problem was that they boss would tell employees to do things and then get mad once they were done the way he told them to because he had no clue what he was doing.
Great mission, great benefits - not so great for career advancement.
Executive Level (Former Employee), Chicago - National OfficeMay 19, 2015
YMCA of the USA’s National Office governs over 2,700 YMCAs across the country. Their programs, services and initiatives: enable kids to realize their potential, prepare teens for college, offer ways for families to have fun together, empower people to be healthier in spirit, mind and body, prepare people for employment, welcome and embrace newcomers and help foster a nationwide service ethic. Collectively, the Y has over 20,000 full-time, exempt staff, has 600,000 volunteers nationwide.
The Y has 22 million members nationwide, comprising of 13 million adults and 9 million youth under the age of 18. The Y. So much more.
Membership Representative (Current Employee), Roanoke, VAMay 19, 2015
Pros: -
Cons: -
I currently substitute for the 4:30am-8am membership desk at the Kirk Family YMCA. I love the atmosphere during that time of day. Members are very pleasant and personable.
It is what it is.
Membership Services I (Former Employee), Redlands, CaMay 18, 2015
Pros: Free employee membership. Aquatics center.
Cons: Low pay scale. Bad management.
I worked for the Redlands YMCA for 2 years.

It was a great place to work for awhile. There were good people (both employees and members) and the job was fairly easy. They worked with my schedule (I was in school at the time), and I actually had pretty good hours. Plus, working here gave me a free membership and I took full advantage of it. The newly remodeled aquatics center was a nice upgrade as well.

The problem (with this particular branch anyways) is the seriousness of which they take themselves. New management came in and replaced the small town, laid back atmosphere with one of a stringent, almost sterile environment. Employees quickly just became cogs in the wheel and there was no hope for advancement. Members were given too much power over the decisions of the directors and there was no concern for employees and their side of things.

The new CEO is a pompous and arrogant politician, far too concerned with his own public image and taking credit for other people's work. He lacks personality and charisma and pushes his underlings to exhaustion and fear of losing their already miniscule paying jobs. Instead of working with directors of other departments, it's his way or the highway. In the few months I worked there after the change, 4 or 5 directors quit because of his workplace practices.

The YMCA used to stand for something good, but has now become a commercial entity, too big for its own britches. Other branches might still keep the same mindset, however the Redlands one has not.

1 2 3 4 5

About YMCA

The YMCA was established over 160 years ago as a charity dedicated to the health of both individuals and communities. Our focus – Read more

YMCA Salaries