YMCA
3,134 reviews

YMCA Employer Reviews

Fun and a great part-time job.
Morning and after school teacher (Current Employee), Downey, CAJanuary 29, 2015
It's a fun job. Pay needs to be increased. Great part-time job if your in school or just want a part-time job.
YMCA
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Encinitas, CAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: advancement
Cons: you will be working with high school a college students that do not always have a good work ethic
This is a great place to work. Has advancement opportunities and well written procedures for everything that needs to be done.
An esteemed organization with lots of potemtial.
Substitute teacher (Former Employee), Durham Elementary School, Fremont, CAJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: the experience.
I worked at YMCA as a substitute "After School Care", teacher / director. It was a part time position where I had to take care of the elementary school children by supervising and helping them with their home work. We provide snacks and a healthy environment for playing and interactions among children of different ages under one roof.
This position gave me the opportunity to learn and develop organizing and management skills along with the benefits of team work and multi tasking.
The hardest part of this job was to be vigilant and aware of all the children and their personalities and dealing accordingly so as to avoid any mishaps.
And the most enjoyeable part was also dealing with the different personalities and being vigilant for their health and safety and to watch them learn and grow with time.
Literacy Aid - Child Care (Current Employee), Milton, PAJanuary 28, 2015
It a fun entertaining place and has good employees to work with.
Respectful people all around
Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJanuary 28, 2015
I feel like the YMCA is very well organized and everyone there shows respect.
It barely paid the bills
Lifeguard (Former Employee), St. Charles, MOJanuary 27, 2015
high turn over, no feedback on performance, underpaid staff and administration. You need another part time job to make up for how poorly you will get paid by this part time job.
Fun Place.
Membership Sales Advisor (Former Employee), Hastings, MNJanuary 27, 2015
Its about family and is a fun atmosphere. Pay is okay and management could be better.
Fun job great for any college student who enjoys kids.
Sales (Former Employee), Indianapolis IndianaJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: hours and working outside
Cons: wage
A typical day consists of sticking to a schedule and trying to keep the kids organized and on track. I learned alot about myself through the kids and think i helped myself for being a parent in the future. My co-workers were amazing and a joy to work with. The hardest part of the job was rain days and keeping the kids occupied when it was bad outside. I enjoyed alot about this job and so many things were awesome but the best part was taking the kids on field trips and watching them enjoy themselves.
Very Professional astomsphere.
Facilitator (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: pleasant, comfortable place to work. professional and caring company.
Cons: not enough hours.
A typical day at work consisted of being part of a team.
How to work as a team.
Management consisted of well trained individual.
My co-workers were a pressure to work with.
The hardest part of the job was the limited hours of work available.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn something new every day from both the students and staff.
I had the experience of remaining friends with several co-workers years later.
Fun interactive place of enployment, with personal rewards
Fitness Attendant (Current Employee), Frederick, MDJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: quality of staff, easy going environment, membership fee waved
Cons: slow movement in the company, payment
A very fun and inviting gym that allows members to feel a sense of belonging, built for the whole family rather then the individual. With fun and warming staff that help make ones day better with the hopes of thier goal reachable.
Great People/ Great Programs
Teen Night Staff and Teen Center Staff (Former Employee), Stevens Point, WIJanuary 26, 2015
The experience I had working for the YMCA was a great one. They allowed me to develop as a person and hone my personal skills and abilities. I was able to be myself and teach others in the process. The only con is the wages of 7.25 and hour.
Friendly diverse invironment
Co-Teacher (Current Employee), Windermere, FLJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: an opportunity to be a positive influence in the lives of the children i work with, friendly work environment.
Cons: compensation and hours
Working for the YMCA has been a very pleasant experience over all. The children that I care for are always very excited to see me, as I am them. A typical day at work consists of non stop movement. From homework time, to group activities, there is always something to do. Because of the diverse backgrounds of the children in our program, I have learned that each child must be dealt with in a manner that best suites their personality and upbringing.

Though my supervisor is a great person and she works very hard, when I first joined the staffing team, management was a struggle. This is not at all because of lack on behalf of my supervisor, but because she was not afforded the resources she needed to properly execute her job as supervisor. Because of that things were a bit unorganized. Since then she has received more staff and more resources, and things have been coming to together in a manner which is conducive to a more productive work environment.

My Co-Workers are a pleasure to work with. They are a great example of what it means to be a team. There really is no hard part to my job. The only challenges that arise are when some of the children are not having a good day.

The part of the job that I enjoy most is working with the children.
a job where i really feel like im making a difference
Youth development leader (Former Employee), brooklyn new yorkJanuary 26, 2015
ive worked at the ymca in katy. camp cinco. it was so fun! outdoors 90% of the time. feildtrips. pools. and plenty of activities! i also worked for the ymca in Brooklyn New York which was amazing because i was with inner city kids who needed a positive role model.
A rewarding experience, working with kids and contributing to their development.
After School Program Leader (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 25, 2015
Cons: no benefits for employees, since position is classified as part time
I have learned so much in regards to dealing with kids and also becoming more comfortable around them. Although it can be hard sometimes to keep oversee so many kids, the days when you see results of your labor is a great feeling.
Mediocre work environment
Team Captain for Annual (Current Employee), Weston, FLJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: worked with the most amazing students.
Cons: no breaks, no healthcare, no chance to grow.
A typical day is from 145-6. You ride the bus to pick the kids up from their schools, return to the Y to complete their homework. After homework they eat snack, play a sport then go into their centers till dismissal. Management micromanages your entire day to the point where the kids don't enjoy the program. My coworkers are extremely friendly and have turned into family. The hardest part of my job are the managers, the easiest part of my job is connecting with the kids.
Life at Work
Learn and Play Leader (Current Employee), Missouri City, TXJanuary 25, 2015
A typical day of work if very fast paced , always on your feet and always having something to do. The relationship with my co-workers are great. I don't think there's any hard part of my job just to always be aware that anything can happen. The most enjoyable part of my work day would be seeing the smile on the parent and their kids faces.
Children and Training oriented, with HUGE Turn over rate
Child Care Provider, Counselor (Former Employee), Round Rock, TXJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: snack time
Cons: lots of training that take up any other part time job opportunists
YMCA as fun of a job it is by working with wounder full kids, they have a double stander or contradictory rules with unrealistic expectations; Example: bell rings at 2:45, By 3:00 the following is expected to be done; Role call and attendance of the children is made with calling of parents to confirm absences, Children have used the Restroom, washed hands and have been feed snack then reused washroom for all 70-100 children.
In a perfect world this could be real, but we finish doing this at 3:45 - 4:00 and we go through the motions very fast past with lots of prep work.

The most enjoyable part is playing games that i or co-works make up for kids to learn new skills and advance on their own level.
hot summers
Camp Councilor (Former Employee), Huntington, NYJanuary 24, 2015
you work from 8-430 and you make a decent amount of money and you gain amazing experience leading groups and you learn time management and creativity at this job is highly desired. you have weekend off and there are great coworkers . its a great atmosphere and you get to be outside for the majority of the day
EXCELLENT WORKING ENVIORMENt
Porter (Current Employee), Queens NYJanuary 23, 2015
working at the YMCA of Jamaica gave me the opportunity to meet so many people. i was able to gain lots of experience and got a feel of different jobs
Family enviroment and great members
Personal Trainer/Group Exercise Instructor (Former Employee), Mount Laurel, NJJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: great members
Cons: not enough classes
I smiley face greeted me every morning and Members excited and ready to work hard in class. Working for the YMCA has been a great experience in both YMCA I have worked for.

1 2 3 4 5

About YMCA

The YMCA was established over 160 years ago as a charity dedicated to the health of both individuals and communities. Our focus – Read more