YMCA Employee Reviews

Found 3,855 reviews matching the search
Fun atmosphere
Office Manager/Annual Giving Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Eagle Bay, NYFebruary 9, 2016
Always a great place to work. I worked here all through college. It is one of the most rewarding places to work and it is in a beautiful location.
Overall a positive place to work
South Hampton Roads YMCA Youth Development Leader (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 9, 2016
A typical day at work is filled with learning opportunities that really helped make my job that much more enjoyable. Management is real easy to get along with. I really do not encounter any hardships at this job. My favorite part I have to say is just really seeing firsthand the impact I have on another child's life.
Outdoor space, great location, great organization.
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAFebruary 9, 2016
I really enjoy working here.The location close to the city is ideal. The YMCA is a great organization to work for. Lots of perks and it is flexible.
Pros
Enjoyable work environment.
Cons
Limit room for growth if you are a go-getter.
working with others
Counselor/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Deltona, FLFebruary 8, 2016
This is the best job I have ever held, The Coworkers are the best to be around, Working with all of the children can be very stressful and annoying but I love them all deeply. The job gives you time to be yourself and work with the children the way you like.
Fun
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Keystone Heights, FLFebruary 8, 2016
It was great being a camp counselor. Very rewarding. The entire thing was about having fun. I learned a lot from the children.
Lots of Fun and Relaxing
Member Services (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 8, 2016
When I arrived at work, I would check in and begin an assessment of the lobby. Is the washer and dryer in need of changing and folding. Do the coffee machines need to be refilled or station restocked with lids, cream and sugar, or stirring sticks. From there it was a breeze. Generally there were no questions too difficult for a customer to be helped within the next business day. On weekends if a customer wanted to sign up and there wasn't member sales readily available they would leave the gym all the information they needed including our group fitness classes, personal training prices, pool info, ect. Being a new employee at the Y was amazing. All my co-wokers were easy to work with and it was rarely boring. The long hours standing was the most difficult part of the job for me because I also had a 2 hour plus commute every day.
Pros
Food Break, Free Coffee, Gym Membership
Friendly and fun place to work.
After School Child Counselor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 7, 2016
YMCA its a very great place to work at the co-workers are friendly people and very helpful but also the hardest part of the job was low hours but the most enjoyable part was helping children with school work and doing activities.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Low hours
Love the mission of the YMCA
Sports Director (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 7, 2016
Very difficult to continue working as a salaried employee, but the mission of the YMCA keeps you going. Would suggest as an hourly position.
Pool lifeguard
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Beverly, MAFebruary 7, 2016
- Responsible for patrons health and safety in and out of water
- Coordinated and worked closely with eight other lifeguards, instructors and staff
- Inspected aquatic area regularly for unsafe conditions
- Hands on experience in administering lifesaving procedures
Family Fun Cheap place to hang
Lifeguard, Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Stuart, FLFebruary 6, 2016
On a typical day at work I would get there 30 minutes early hang out for a little bit then clock in , and go take down whoever was on stand. Usually no one is in the pool too long . I've learned a lot of skills from that job like CPR and Rescue Breathing , how to safe someone if I needed to .
Pros
Free pool, and gym area
Cons
no late hours, benfits
Fun place to work during the summer
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 6, 2016
hearing kids enjoy their day I looked forward for that everyday. It was always something new and fun.The coworkers were fun to work with. It is a new experience for me and i enjoyed it.
Pros
fun fun fun
Cons
Productive, active, and high energy work place.
Councilor in Training (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 6, 2016
A day at work consisted of supervising children and interacting with them throughout a scheduled day. The day was scheduled with long periods dedicated to outdoor activities, indoor activities, lunch break, and occasional field trips.

Personally I did not enjoy it because as the summer went on the management became more strict and I do not particularly enjoy working with children.
Pros
Engaged in activity throughout the day
Cons
No pay for councilors in training, not many breaks, and somewhat overbearing management.
My over view of my work experience
Fitness attendant (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day at work was just to clean machines, lubricate the wires, and overall maintain the fitness area. I learned the proper way to clean fitness machines. My co workers were okay, they did their own thing. There wasn't really anything hard about my job besides the fact that I would have everything done, about a half an hour after I arrived, so I wouldn't really be occupied enough to pass the time by. My most enjoyable moment of job was being able to observe how different people worked out, so it was cool to learn different techniques.
Great experience
WAT-AAH! Company, YMCA Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 4, 2016
I interned at a company called WATAHH! It is a company dedicated to making kids live a healthy life by creating colorful water bottles that attracts the kids to drinking it. I was part of the social media department and interacted with fans on facebook, instagram and even twitter.
It was fun
Site Lead (Former Employee) –  Leader AidFebruary 3, 2016
I worked with kids all day and going to play games and I also had to help the special needs kids. I learned how to well with the parents kids as well. It improved my people skills.
Excellent company
Computer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 2, 2016
The teachers working there try their best to help and care every students. They work very hard. I was working there as a tutor, just assisted the teacher in communicating with students, because all the students were from China, they spoke Cantonese.
ymca
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYFebruary 2, 2016
I worked at the ymca in Richmond for 9 years or so I really enjoyed working there hours were good because I didn't have to be at work until my kids went to school and was home before they got out I would clean cafeteria after breakfast for daycare kids and again after lunch it was a lot of fun working there I enjoyed it
Great experience and fun environment
Assistant Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 2, 2016
At the YMCA working in the ASES program your typical day was a day including fun filled activities with a purpose. You made your job how you wanted your day to go. Working with students and being that voice in their life that they may not have is one of the greatest accomplishments I had. The hardest days that I had were ones where a student had a bad day at school. Feeling like it was one of your own children that was going to have consequences for their actions. Everyone wanted to enjoy their work and it started with the management. They made it fun and set the culture for the supervisory staff to bring that culture to the school sites and staff.
Pros
Great work experience, fun, career advancement, build rapport
Cons
Compensation, part time
My experience at YMCA
Transfer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 1, 2016
Typical day at work: Return phone calls, work on changes for YMCA and County system, meet with parents, make sure we had updated information.

What I learned: I learned that each participant needed to be treated as a whole new experience and give the chance to learn about their case and as if it was a new case.

Management: I managed my work and time very professional, my caseload was handled responsibly to be able to achieve my daily goals in a timely manner.

Co-workers: I was able to get a long with all my co-workers, always keeping a positive attitude and respecting each and every one of them.

Hardest part of my job: I believe the hardest part of my job was not being able to provide more to my participants than what the State guidelines only permitted.

The most enjoyable part of my job: What I enjoyed more about my job was providing the best customer service to my participants and feeling how appreciative they were towards our Childcare services.
Pros
Potlucks, fun meetings, great people to work with.
Daily Learning
Little League Leader (Former Employee) –  Homestead, FLFebruary 1, 2016
Think its a great job for a younger adult just looking to get by, where i need more of a career, were always room to grow and move up.