YMCA

4.0K reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

Great
Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 28, 2015
The value in working at the Y was the free gym membership" (in 182 reviews)

"If you like working with kids you'll be truly satisfied" (in 45 reviews)

Cons
"Resources Constrained as it is a non profit" (in 81 reviews)

"Pay was not great but these were entry level part time positions"
Busser, greeting and dishwasher
Membership Service Representative (Current Employee), East Hartford, CTAugust 28, 2015
Enjoyed working in a restaurant, meeting new people and doing crazy things with the staffs. They make you feel part of the group as family. Not only at work but also out of work.
Fun Learning Environment
Receptionist/Member Services (Former Employee), Binghamton, NYAugust 28, 2015
Daily work was always something different, great learning job. My coworkers were the most friendly people you would want to meet. The most enjoyable part of the job was l meeting new people.
great place.
MEMBER SERVICES (Current Employee), Frederick, mdAugust 28, 2015
This place is a fun place to work. Just know that the pay is not great and they wont let you work more then 29 hours. That's a real shame I would like to work more.
LOVE IT
YOUTH SPORTS INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee), LA JOLLAAugust 28, 2015
GREAT COWORKERS, VERY FAMILY ORIENTED. I GET TO SPEND MY DAY TEACHING CHILDREN SPORTS AND WATCHING THEM IMPROVE DAY BY DAY.
Fun and Enjoyable environment
counselor & Fitness Trainer & Communications Staff (Current Employee), L.I.CAugust 27, 2015
Pros: Free membership and access to the entire YMCA facility
Cons: Very short lunch breaks
The YMCA is an amazing place to work at. My co-workers are very helpful. We are a team an all have the same mindset which is helping the children we look after. I also love the fact that you are able to learn so much because there are so many opportunities to advance and be able to work multiple positions in the company. The work environment is fun but yet very relaxed. The YMCA is not a fast pace job but you are still required to be alert.
Great Place to work!
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee), Louisville, KYAugust 27, 2015
Loved working with kids. It was my passion. i enjoyed every minute of it. The parents were nice and the kids loved me. I loved all my co-workers, it was just great. Could not have asked for a better job.
rewarding
Attendant (Former Employee), Lebanon, VAAugust 27, 2015
The people I worked with and for where friendly, accommodating and appriciative. I was given much responsibility. I enjoyed working there.
I love working with the kids, one of the main reasons i love working at the YMCA.
Child Watch Attendant (Current Employee), Perth Amboy, NJAugust 27, 2015
Pros: Meeting new people
Cons: Very small amount of work hours
At a typical day at work being with kids and parents both, makes me feel great doing my job knowing that I am not only helping but building a great relationship not only with the children but their parents as well. I would say the most difficult part of the job and I definitely do not think is difficult would be making sure that everything is done just right and that everything is intact making sure every step you take while you are working is taken correctly and as efficiently as possible. As for my co workers they are great awesome people everyone is so friendly and so helpful its awesome to know everyone works together as a team to attend to the children and their parents needs as best as possible. The best part of my job are the kids I LOVE KIDS.
Short Term
Y School Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Bronx, NYAugust 26, 2015
I think this company and job are well suited for someone who's young and looking for great opportunities. There is much room to grow although it takes a long term commitment - 5+ years.
GREAT ENVIRONMENT
Camp Counselor (Former Employee), The Woodlands, TXAugust 26, 2015
Pros: nice people, enjoyable work hours
Cons: long hot days
Great workplace with even better management. Not at all about the numbers but a very personal relationship with management. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but you can go ahead and assume that anywhere.
Nice job, Horrible HR/leaders
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Jennersville, PAAugust 26, 2015
Cons: Management
I was an assistant counselor for the youngest group of kids at the day camp. I assisted in making sure the kids were happy, ready for swimming and various camp activities

Most of the co-workers were really nice since I knew some of them due to being a camper there many many years ago.

The HR/higher up people were worse. Some days they were nice, some days not so much. They really liked to boss around the counselors at times. One of my major complaints is that I was originally scheduled to work from 9-1 but was changed to 8-12 because they needed more morning counselors. I was forced to watch the bathrooms and make sure 1 kid went in at a time. Sometimes I worked the afternoons as well from 4-6. One time I was forced to watch the bathrooms again. Yet this time, there were no kids on the blacktop which faced the bathrooms. I was yelled at for leaving my spot when no one was there.

Another problem with the management is that they cared more about those that had worked there longer than the newbies. They also made up ridiculous reasons for contract termination. Like how am I supposed to get the attention of screaming kids in the middle of gymnasium when it's loud as could be in there. Also they came up with other reasons to terminate me, like telling another counselor what to do. I was just making sure he was watching his kids not roaming. Unlike him, I was doing my job and apparently, telling other counselors what to do is frowned upon.

I have no good things to say about the management there and I have no thoughts about going back there to work unless they change their business practices.
Horrible staff, unorganized, not professional
Activities Leader (Current Employee), indianapolis, INAugust 26, 2015
I worked with very ghetto people who judged me mercilessly. Everyone was always yelling and I left because I dreaded going into work and having to listen to it.
Childcare Provider (Current Employee), Tobacco rdAugust 26, 2015
Great work environment, they really make sure that each child is satisfied and leaves with a smile. its a great place to be and there is so much fun .
Met some great staff that I'm still friends with
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee), Reading, PAAugust 26, 2015
typical day, arts and crafts free time for the children to play, lunch, nap time, and then free time afterwards. Being outside was the best part.
Fun place to work for with a free membership
Child care staff (Former Employee), Nazareth, PAAugust 26, 2015
Pros: friendly atmosphere
Cons: no healthcare
Friendly atmosphere with a lot of great people working there and a big pool. A lot of exercise equipment.

I watched children here. I planned activities and helped them with homework. I loved it. I also made a lot if new friends here.
Great Company
Co-Site Director (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAAugust 26, 2015
Great staff, warm and welcoming, flexible hours, and direct deposit. Part time job even offered employment protection and guarantee. Safe work environment and great way to get to know the community.

Great place to work. Family oriented. Great for kids, lots of training for us, get to play with kids as a job. Can bring your own kids while you are working.

Ability to serve people and live out the mission of the YMCA. Grow as an individual. Become a better person and more talented person through servant leadership for others.
Fast paced work environment
Member Service Representative (Former Employee), Oconomowoc, WIAugust 26, 2015
Pros: social engagement
Cons: departments too divided
Overall a good place to work considering it's a non-profit. I learned a lot while there. Very fast paced work environment at times. Could have been more willing to cross train areas.
Very friendly, relaxing environment
Front Desk - Member Services (Former Employee), Summerville, SCAugust 25, 2015
Sometimes the days would drag during my afternoon shifts because not many come in until they came to pick their children up. I learned how to handle customers effectively and provide great customer service. The management is very good at staying on top of things. Co-workers were extremely nice, very, very easy to get along with and relaxing to talk to most of the time minus a select few that were a bit testy. The hardest would have to have been getting a hold of a camp counselors over the walkie to ask for a child to be brought up front for pick-up. Another hard part was keeping myself occupied during the slow parts of the day. I enjoyed handling the customers, inputting information into Daxco on the computer, and having a list of things to do, occasionally, to keep me from getting bored.
A fun work enviroment and good eperience to work with kids
YMCA Summer Camp Staff (Former Employee), Richmond, CAAugust 25, 2015
Pros: Membership, Field Trips, Community
great workplace with constructive management and positive attitude, safe environment, healthy, everything you would expect in a non profit organization like theirs.
Headquarters