YMCA Employee Reviews in United States

Found 8,727 reviews matching the search
have fun at the YMCA
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAAugust 25, 2016
i dealt with grade school children after school and before school and it was nice to help them unwind and have fun after school, it was great to help them with homework and also help them through personal struggles
Pros
the children
Cons
n/a
Kids
Tutor children (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 25, 2016
I love working with children. The children I worked with grew on me and helped me learn alot as they were learning alot from me. They was like my children when they was in my care. The kids and I had so much fun with everything we did together.
Great Community Leader
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 25, 2016
This organization does amazing things for the community. It's incredible to be part of an organization that does so much. The staff are truly like family and genuinely care about every member that walks through the doors.
Amazing place to work
Support Teacher (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLAugust 25, 2016
A typical day involved setting up the classroom, greeting kids and their parents, keeping the day moving and kids engaged in learning and activities. My co-workers were my friends and I enjoyed my job very much. This job was so much fun and energizing.
Fun atmosphere with positive employees
Lifeguard/Head Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXAugust 24, 2016
A typical work day included enforcing facility rules while ensuring customer satisfaction. I utilized my five years of previous knowledge of patron safety and facility management to ensure a positive and effective work environment. My coworkers were equally driven to give optimal workplace performance while also enjoying their positions in a positive atmosphere. The hardest part of my job was actively ensuring patron safety in large group environments, but I trusted in my skills and the skills of my lifeguard team to take charge and perform admirably in an emergency situation. The best part of being a head guard was being able to provide a comfortable and positive environment for my team members and the satisfaction I received from knowing I had done my job in keeping people safe..
Pros
positive atmosphere, excellent hours, good pay
Cons
disorganized
Fun environment
Summer Camp Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Emporia, VAAugust 24, 2016
Constantly on my feet working with children and assisting them in games and crafts of which I previously planned for groups of 30-50 children ranging from ages 5 years old to 15 years old.
Worst place to work
Member Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNAugust 24, 2016
The managers at the Eagan YMCA are awful! When they don't like you they follow you around and try to find fault in what you do. Ultimately I was let go because of something another employee had done and I happened to be nearby. Never work here.
good temporary job
SITE DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAAugust 24, 2016
don't expect much training or support when you first start in childcare. They toss you into a job and hope you'll figure it out yourself. There is no room for any advancement.
Wonderful place to work! Very positive work environment
Lead Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAAugust 24, 2016
Ensured excellent Member Services by serving as a role model to members and the YMCA staff. Embodied the mission, vision, and values of the YMCA as well. I further assisted with new member enrollments, scheduling for my team, and answered general account related questions. Also, implemented company policies to the best of my ability. I consistently kept my staff informed of company changes, answered member’s concerns/dissatisfaction and anything else that required a supervisory decision. Additionally, I managed the night shift and weekend operations of the facility.
Pros
free membership
Cons
Fun environment, new experiences, wide variety of life
CAMP COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 23, 2016
Working with the YMCA as a counselor was some of the best times in my life. Even though my job involved me taking care of ten 11-year-olds, I was still able to enjoy my time. Although it was not a paying job, I was compensated by a free trip to Big Bear, where the camp is, and a whole week of cooked meals! My co-workers were for the most part amazing, and I've forged lifelong relationships with many of them, past and present. The hardest part of the job is trying to communicate with children, it teaches you to know your boundaries when speaking to other people. As a counselor I learned how to handle several different tasks, while being able to deal with situations as a whole
Pros
Free meals for a week, amazing experiences
Cons
It's like having 10 children of your own
Pleasant but frustrating
After School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXAugust 23, 2016
Looking after kids is tough to handle but after getting to know them it makes your job a lot more pleasant to be there.A lot of cleaning up and making sure everything is clean.
I loved it
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 23, 2016
The members and the conversations that grew new friendships was the best part of this job. My coworkers were always energetic and it was great to be surrounded in that kind of environment.
Very energetic and friendly place
School Child Watch Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYAugust 23, 2016
The ymca was a great community to work with. Everyone was very friendly and understanding. I loved the benefit of free membership while employed there.
Great fun place
Camp counselor and sailing instructor (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, RIAugust 23, 2016
Loved working with the children at the YMCA. I worked as a sailing instructor and had lots of fun out on the water with kids. YMCA Camp Fuller is my second home.
productive yet easy going atmosphere
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Foxborough, MAAugust 23, 2016
The YMCA was a great job for a high school student. Hours were flexible and finding a substitute was easy as well as pick up extra hours. Leaving for college and coming home, I felt that communication between new management and employees was not well maintained. I don't suggest this as job to maintain for many years, however it's a great starter.
Pros
decent pay and breaks
Cons
management is not always attentive to staff and workplace behavior
Family Oriented Place
Line Staff (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYAugust 22, 2016
Its a great mission and great goal. It's family oriented and community based. There are people who are they because of who they know not what they know. Overall, its a good place to work if you are for the mission, not the money.
Pros
Family oriented
Cons
Low compensation
Great Community but alot of administrative turn over.
Assistant Youth and Family Director (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVAugust 22, 2016
Typically work a split shift, i have learned how to make every minuet count, co-workers are not cooperative, Administrative communication hardest part of job, best part of job the kid.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Short breaks, time management
Large Non-profit with extensive roots in the community
Community Health Advisor (Current Employee) –  Anoka, MNAugust 22, 2016
Working for the YMCA means that you have to be selfless and be willing to put in alot of work in the community. It's rewarding in the fact that you get to hlep a lot of people and utilize an extensive network and your experiences are determined by your attitude and the branch you work under. The hardest part about the job is the long days and little pay. But its enjoyable to help out others in the community.
Pros
An extensive network
Cons
long hours and little pay
Fun job.
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAAugust 22, 2016
The admin team for the drama department is young and fun, but the culture is lacking diversity. I felt overworked and underappreciated.
Pros
Great community work.
Cons
Bad connection with public school partner.
Great facility
Outdoor Swim Club Manager (Current Employee) –  Freehold, NJAugust 22, 2016
There is no job security nor room for advancement. Middle management tries it's best to ensure a safe facility. Sometimes safety is sacrificed in order to stay within budget.