YMCA Employee Reviews

Found 13,271 reviews matching the search
Fun work environment
Tennis Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCSeptember 25, 2017
I liked it there, and I was working in a environment in a sport that I enjoy playing myself. The management was great, I just did not like that they were not able to provide the amount of hours that I would have liked to achieve.
Fun workplace
Stay and play attendant (Former Employee) –  Suffolk, VASeptember 25, 2017
A relaxed job. Highly recommended job for a student in high school. Not a lot of experience recommended. Short hour shifts. Free memebership. Fair management.
slow workpace, flexible scheduling
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOSeptember 25, 2017
A typical day for lifeguarding is slow with a fast cleaning pace.
A typical day for teaching lessons is fast pace and back to back. The hardest part was staying in a good mood with lifeguarding. With teaching lessons the hardest part was having patience. The easiest part of lifeguarding was the slow pace, the easiest with lessons was having fun.
Pros
Getting to teach new skills to someone
Cons
Sometimes not being able to rotate while lifeguarding
Productive and fun work place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 25, 2017
I enjoyed my time working at YMCA. Management and staff were friendly and always willing to help. I worked in the youth department as a teaching assistant and loved every moment of it.
Nice people to be around
Rock Climbing Instructor / Wellness Coach (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOSeptember 25, 2017
Working at a Y lets you meet all kinds of people who are there to better themselves. If you take the time to talk to people you will have a better time at work. Management is generally understanding and works with your schedule.
Good Job if you like Kids
After School Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bedminster, NJSeptember 25, 2017
If you like to work with kids then this is the job for you. As a Teacher assistant each day is completely different from the next. I also learned a lot of important skills from this experience. Not to mention that with the job came a free membership to the YMCA. Overall my experience was great.
Pros
Free Membership to YMCA, exciting
Cons
stressful
opportunity
Recruiter for Youth Development (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 25, 2017
The YMCA is a great place to network and help the community. The culture is fast-paced during the Summer months and slowed down during the school year.
balanced, very hardworking
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 25, 2017
hardest day at work is when we have so many kids to babysit and theres only one staff working.
what I learned is that people are really caring at the YMCA and they want the best for you.
Good Place to Work
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 24, 2017
It was a good summer job. Overall friendly people to work with. They give you a schedule to go by with the kids, but a lot of the time they aren't interested, so be prepared to come up with your own games to keep them entertained.
Providing services and programs that assist members of the community in living a better life.
Operations Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 24, 2017
The YMCA is a place that allows people to grow through programs and services that promote healthy living. The Y not only provides these opportunities to the community, but also to their employees as well. I've been afforded many learning and growth opportunities via online as well as hands-on leadership classroom and conference activities.
Pros
Education, benefits, team collaboration, state-of-art technology
YMCA Summer
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Camarillo, CASeptember 24, 2017
It is a fun/ easy job if you enjoy working with kids. Also recommend for college students looking for a summer job. Sometimes you get to go in field-trips with the kids depending on your camp. You also get a free gym membership while employed through the Y.
Pros
Free Gym membership
Cons
Pay
Great work environment
Child Watch Associate (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PASeptember 24, 2017
Typical day at work is the front desks greets you and sign you in. Then you would clock in and go to work. Hardest part of the job is when kids don't listen. The most enjoyable part of my job is the kids and how they love to swim and the other staff workers. The workplace culture is mixed between different people. Management is flexible on work schedules. I learn knew teaching strategies and being patient with the kids I teach untl they get the skills needed down.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Healthcare
ok
Member Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Weston, FLSeptember 24, 2017
helping members. ok place to work Helps people who can not afford.
Offers many activities for all ages. t is affordable. They have many different departments.
Best job I ever had
Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Rancho Bernardo, CASeptember 24, 2017
Working with kids was probably the funnest job I ever had. It didn't even feel like work. You'd work with 15-30 kids, depending on the camp and take them to designated place e.g. The beach, water park, etc depending on the camp program their parents put them in. Safety standards are huge and the teams I worked in were amazing with counts as well as procedure.
Poorly Organized
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Westerly, RISeptember 24, 2017
The hours were never consistent. Often we would end up short staffed for working for multiple hours without break. As a lifeguard this means you cant go to the bathroom or get water.
rewarding experience
CAMP UNIT LEADER (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CASeptember 24, 2017
this was a very rewarding experience because the culture at the y is intentionally uplifting and positive. their desire to bring a greater overall wellness to guests definitely effects employees as well.
Pros
uplifting and rewarding
Cons
understaffed and management trouble. low pay.
terrible
Health and Wellness Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Plaistow, NHSeptember 24, 2017
The mangers had no idea what they were doing, and treated everyone as below them, It was a disaster. I would tell anyone to run in the opposite direction
YMCA should treat their staff better
Site Director (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXSeptember 24, 2017
They demand of lot of your time with the different meetings and fundraisers. This is quite unfair since they don't want to hire fulltime employees (as not to offer benefits).

As a Site Lead, you have to pick up snacks at the main site, lead fundraisers and attend and upteenth number of staff meetings, but want to pay you $10 hourly or less, as well as not provide you any benefits. This is one main reason this position has such a high turnover. It should be that way with this organization.

If you're not in administration, you haven't a chance.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
too much work for little money
A fun and lively place to work.
Media Manager (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, ILSeptember 24, 2017
I got the chance to do a variety of different tasks related to my overall job, finding a balance of maintenance/upkeep and active engagement with customers.
Great place to work.
Member Service Desk/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Watertown, WISeptember 24, 2017
Great place to work if you need a part-time job. Christian environment with Christian principals. Free membership offered to employee. Ideal job for you if you love to interact with people.
Pros
Free membership.
Cons
Huge turnover. Low pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval