YMCA Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work
Fitness Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEDecember 8, 2017
One of the best jobs I ever had...great people and excellent place to work.I met new people everyday.I was a Fitness Instructor so I was able to really help people with their fitness needs.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
My hour changed
Community based
Facilities Director (Current Employee) –  Johnstown, NYDecember 8, 2017
YMCA's are needed in every community, I feel that I help our local community to stay safe, stay healthy, stay connected. By keeping my YMCA cleaner than any other I have ever visited to date (over 60) I bring a uniqueness to my Y that others strive to achieve.
Pros
Safe place
Cons
Not enough of them.
Excellent Environment
Member Services Director/Fitness Manager (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 7, 2017
I have never worked for a company that genuinely develops the individual. They invested each year in a summit to help the leaders grow and develop. It's great to be a part of something that helps the community so much.
Ymca
clerk (Former Employee) –  Mililani Town, HIDecember 7, 2017
Awesome workers. There's Lot to do. and they have very good communication the boss is awesome. i would recommend anybody there because they have good personality the aura is really calm.
Kids can be crazy but that just makes the job more interesting!
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Hopkinton, MADecember 7, 2017
Lovely place to work for entry level childcare. Brings lots of experience and managers help anytime you really need it. Always tons of constructive critisism and encouragement.
Pros
Free snacks, friendly coworkers, always something new, kids draw you pictures.
Cons
Kids can have behaviors, inflexible hours, strict scheduling
Lifeguard
Lifeguard And Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 7, 2017
Watched the pool to make sure everyone was safe. Preformed first-aid when needed. Taught swimming lessons weekly. The people I worked with were friendly and willing to help when needed. The best part of the job was my manager as she was the nicest lady I have ever met.
A valuable community resource
Fencing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 7, 2017
The Ann Arbor Y's place in my life is providing an opportunity to expand and improve my avocation as a fencing teacher as well as to serve the community. I believe both fencing and the Y offer great learning/growing opportunities for young people and enrichment for the older person seeking a different challenge. I believe I am uniquely skilled in the sport but have things to learn as a person and a teacher.
As a teacher for a few hours a week in one studio, I cannot claim to have an overview of the rest of the organization or its culture.
The hardest part of the job is understanding young minds. The most enjoyable is succeeding at getting through.
Pros
Provides the space and infrastructure to teach my sport
Cons
Slow to respond to efforts to upgrade eqquipment
Our local YMCA worked hard for the Members
Membership Experience Director (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILDecember 7, 2017
We worked hard to make our members feel valued even though we had no budget to give back to them by means of an updated facility. Our building was old and it showed. Peeling paint, rusted out lockers, outdated carpet and front desk area and lighting. We made sure we made up for these shortcomings with excellent customer service. Our members knew they were valued and appreciated every day.

The corporate office did not care about the centers. They expected us to sell a product with very little return on the members investment.
Pros
Collaberative environment with staff
Cons
Trying to sell memberships with an old and outdated facility
Fun coworkers and relaxed workplace.
LEAD AQUATICS STAFF (Former Employee) –  Elk River, MNDecember 7, 2017
Very lighthearted place to work, while being able to maintain professionalism. Management did their jobs well, which made the jobs of those beneath them go much smoother.
Pros
Friendly environment.
Great place to volunteer
Swim Official Level II (Former Employee) –  Darke County, OHDecember 7, 2017
As a past swim official Level 1 and Level 2, this position is an awesome experience to get a close view of all of the competitive swim strokes. Additionally, you get to meet other officials and coaches.
Pros
Swimmer observation
Cons
Splashes
Fun place to work.
Membership representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MADecember 7, 2017
The YMCA of greater springfield is a great place to work. Very respectful and fun people to be around with for hours. I would always love to go back there. ive had some great times working at The YMCA of greater Springfield.
Extremely boring, management unprofessional, other employees unreliable
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 7, 2017
My coworkers were extremely unreliable. You are the only lifeguard in the pool area which is in the basement so you can’t leave to use the bathroom or take a break. Being the only lifeguard is also a safety hazard. You were expected to eat your lunch in the pool area while still watching the water as well. I worked two jobs and had to leave straight from my shifts here to get to it. Coworkers scheduled to relieve me would CONSISTENTLY show up 10-25 minutes late with no excuse & holding fast food bags. When I addressed this with the manager I was scolded because I should “be more understanding”.
Good experience, bad long term
Adventure Guide (Former Employee) –  Estes Park, CODecember 7, 2017
I loved the culture and environment, but the pay was horrible. I couldn't sustain working at the Y long term because it doesn't pay enough to cover bills and student loans.
Very good high school job
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Kennett Square, PADecember 7, 2017
Good job to get while in high school gives you good work experience and a taste for the professional world. Although compensation and promotion opportunity are far and few between if you work hard it is noticed.
Pros
outside all day
Wish i could still afford to do this
Senior Counselor/ LIT director (Former Employee) –  North Hero, VTDecember 7, 2017
I worked at a YMCA summer camp in Vermont which is why i had to give the low score for job work/ life balance since unless i was on my day off i was on the clock for the vast majority of the day. despite the long and exhausting days, this was hands down the most fun and satisfying job i've ever had. There was real comradery between staff and the higher ups were actively involved in the day to day hustle of camp life.
Fast paced and enjoyable
Gymnastics Instructor (Former Employee) –  Grand Haven, MIDecember 6, 2017
In one evening you can have multiple classes with different ages. In the preschool area the children are between 3-5 years old. The beginner classes to intermediate classes between 5-12 years old. and the Team girls, the girls that compete, can range up to 18 years old.
Why I gotta do a review
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 6, 2017
It was cool, everyone is friendly. The only thing is that it is annoying when you're at a party and the YMCA song comes and everyone looks at you and expects you to dance along.
Good Place to Work
Coach (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VADecember 6, 2017
Good place to work. Friendly environment. Enjoyed work. Fast based. Never boring. Always on your feet moving. Great facilities. Surrounded by hard working individuals.
Productive workplace
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 6, 2017
Culture can be worked on. I learned what I want in my future jobs. Need to improve communication. Favorite part was that it was in Boston and easily accessible!
Productive and fun place to work, impacting the health of others in a postitive way
Health and Nutrition Intern (Former Employee) –  Foxborough, MADecember 6, 2017
A typical day at work would involve several different activities and projects. Usually there would be some individual counseling sessions with a teenager or occasionally an adult on their eating habits, how they are trying to eat more mindfully. This counseling session also involves me and my boss the nutrition director at eh YMCA giving helpful advice, and making goals for the participants in the weigh to change program. There are also different classes held during the day and in the evenings. Sometimes, there would be a group led exercise by my boss and I. Other times there would be grocery store tours given to mothers mostly trying improve their diets along with spend their money effectively to feed the whole family. Moreover, there were classes given at the YMCA teaching how to do meal preparations for the week, or make a healthy breakfast recipe at home. It varied from day to day.
I learned how to execute all of these activities and projects, as well as come up with recipes for the YMCA food blog website. I learned how to manage a group of people, and I got a lot of experience with nutrition education, encouraging people to be excited about their health. The work place culture was relaxed, welcoming, warm and friendly. It is a public place for everyone who passes through to feel at home. The hardest part of the job was dealing with some people who were enrolled in a class that they either did not care about or want to participate in. It is hard to make somebody want to care about nutrition or what knowledge you are providing through the activity. I loved every aspect
  more... of the job that I mentioned above, a great and enriching experience for me and my future nutrition career.  less
Pros
Meeting and helping new, enthusiastic people
Cons
Wanted more hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.