YMCA Employee Reviews

Found 10,572 reviews matching the search
Awesome place to work
Soccer Referee (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 23, 2017
I love working at the YMCA!! The manager in charge is flexible with your hours. Also the pay there is awesome because I feel that I am getting paid to have fun and be around soccer.
Fun and safe environment
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTFebruary 23, 2017
I ensured pool safety and cleaned/organized while on rotation. I learned valuable safety skills and met so many friendly people. The hardest part of the job was making sure that the pool was safe for all patrons. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know all of the regulars who would come in and learning new things.
Pros
Rotations every 30 minutes which gave time for homework
Cons
Not a lot to do
Nice place to work
Welcome Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 23, 2017
Low stress and people are nice to work with. Family oriented and usually a flexible schedule, accommodating difficult schedules. Management is easy going and aims for employee and customer satisfaction.
Fun space
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 23, 2017
I had a lot of people around me who encouraged me to love myself and what I do. the area was friendly and exciting. Work had to be done but it never felt old or oppressive. Our youth was taken in instead mocked was encouraged to use it for our own personal advancement.
Rewarding job with little management support
Youth Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kingwood, TXFebruary 23, 2017
I worked 20 hours/week at an after school care program. A few weeks in, the site leader quit and I was left in charge at age 17. I became the site leader for weeks until someone older with more free time could be hired. I ended up leaving the job because I received very little support from management in dealing with big issues at the site.
Pros
Experienced much personal growth by being allowed to lead at such a young age
Cons
High turnover rate, weak management
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Estes Park, COFebruary 23, 2017
great place to work
loved my management and fellow employees
corporate doesn't give appreciation to employees enough
room and board accommodations aren't very good for employees
Productive Fun Place To Work, Kids Are Inspiring And AWESOME,Staff Are Amazing
Group Leader/ Counselor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 23, 2017
Best part of job is kids and management also they provide u with all tools to be successful at the work place (Trainings, Cpr Risk Management etc). Pay Is Not That Great But U Can Move Up In Management If You Are Dedicated.
Pros
Field trips, Fun Staff Meetings, Kids Are Fun to work with, Partners Like Junior League And Girlscouts Come Afterschool.
Cons
Not Many Hours, Minimun Wage, Strict Attendance Policy
fun day
Assistant director (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 23, 2017
i had a great time working for the YMCA i was assistant director there had a relationship with the staff and the parents and the kids were great they looked up to me
Just work
Sports Director (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 23, 2017
* a lot of happy days the people are great
* I learned just being around people
* management just coming to work making adjustments the simple things
* outstanding place to work
* just understanding new things
* just being around people
Had good Co-workers
Fitness Coach (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 23, 2017
the team aspect of the y was good but the rate of pay was fairly low for the amount of work done. I had some people who were very supportive in my time there but others who had their job purely because of tenor that weren't good at leading.
Ymca
LIFEGUARD (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WIFebruary 22, 2017
Typically I only had one shift a week which only lasted around 2-5 hours depending on the day. My responsibilities included watching the pool, making sure the pool deck was clean, setting up for swim lessons, and enforcing the pool rules. Overall it was an enjoyable time and fun.
Productive and friendly workplace
Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lake Wylie, SCFebruary 22, 2017
I am very happy to be part of this organization. I support what the YMCA stands for and the help they give to so many under privilege individuals and families. It is so amazing to watch kids enjoying such a positive safe environment.
Pros
Meeting new awesome people daily
Cons
Not best salary
It was okay for a first job.
Nursery Worker (Current Employee) –  Longview, WAFebruary 22, 2017
It was pretty good at first, I received a lot of hours, and made a decent amount. Then, I started going through some stuff and they just cut my hours, kind of out of nowhere when I need the hours the most. They then gave them to someone hired after me, and now i still only work two and a half hours a week, and make about sixty dollars per check. Roughly $120 per month. So the typical day was full of a lot of my coworkers talking about family drama, but working with the kids was amazing! I think that management was kind of off kilter and some directors got away with not really doing as much work as play. The hardest part was losing my hours to somebody hired on after me, and whenever I got sick, it was always like a negative reaction. The most enjoyable had to be working with the kids there.
Pros
The kids and members were amazing
Cons
No lunch, cut hours, not prioritizing sick employees
You get paid to sit in a chair.
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 22, 2017
Very short hour and half to two hour shifts. I picked up being lifeguarding when i was in high school because i was on the swim team and wanted to be by the pool. Every location is different, but the one i worked at was only 5ft deep, so i didn't get to do too much. Lately the company hasn't been doing so hot, especially with the new downtown location and it's unfinished pool.
Pros
free gym membership to all locations
Cons
minimum wage, no unlimited guest pass
Exciting place to work
TEAM LEAD (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NJFebruary 22, 2017
I worked here for 3 years and gained job advancement very quickly. All the staff was very encouraging and there was never a dull day at work. Working with children can always be difficult but once I found what made it special it was amazing.
very cool place to work
Head Counselor/Administrative Asst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2017
Working for the ymca was a great experience.i learned so much at that establishment,and had fun while doing it.Ymca gives you a sense of leadership and organization for some odd reason
Worst job I have ever had.
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 22, 2017
Was a lifeguard there, they rarely ever had more than one guard on duty (which is illegal to not have more than one). Had to sit in the chair for sometimes five hours straight without getting a break to use the restroom or get water. Got fired and rehired the same day for getting water.
Pros
free membership
Cons
no breaks, low pay, poor management, poor working conditions.
best place for families to spend
Preschool Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sewickley, PA 15143February 22, 2017
Amazing YMCA with clean, modern facilities the whole family can enjoy. This place does not disappoint! They have it all - an indoor pool, an outdoor pool with depths for all ages, plentiful exercise equipment, and beautiful indoor gymnasium. There's even a rock climbing wall in the lobby!
I love working at the YMCA
Member Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAFebruary 22, 2017
The YMCA is a fantastic place to work. Everyone works together as a well oiled machine. Management is fantastic and the members are the best. People that come into the YMCA are seeking wellness. It is nice to be able to greet them upon arrival and see them smiling as they leave.
Pros
Free gym membership. Meeting lots of new people.
Cons
Few opportunities for advancement. Low pay.
Good job for students
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 22, 2017
If you don't have the patience or like working with children then this place is not for you. However, if you like children and working roughly 20 hours a week, then you can handle this.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

85%