YMCA

4.0K reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

Good humble place.
Lifeguard (Former Employee), bixby, okAugust 21, 2015
Pros: Good hours
Cons: Working in the elements
Work with honest driven people, learn how to communicate with others and build teamwork for good customer service. Not the best pay but you gain experience in society.
Funny and enlightening
Teacher (Former Employee), Klamath Falls, ORAugust 21, 2015
The YMCA is a great company that gave me a chance to further my education. They gave me so much experience working as a teacher. They have a great program to keep their teachers educated. I got a lot of my classes free when I was working at the YMCA, while I was going to college to get my associates in early childhood education.
Fun and creative working experience
Assistant Ballet Teacher (Former Employee), Mesa, AZAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Fun working place
Awesome experience working with the children. Creative activities that include the children to built a growing mind of creativity and of how to work together. Fun experiences with working with the children, teaching them and getting to know them. Great working experience with the children.
A good place to work; can be challenging.
Member Sales Representative (Current Employee), Staten Island, NYAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Free Y membership
Cons: Only allowed to work 19 hours a week and the pay is low.
A typical day at the Y would be to talk to guests about membership and what the Y has to offer. I would also, register members and non members for Y programs. Sometimes it is just listening to members talk about their day.

While working at the Y, I've learned to be patient with people and to listen to what they have to say. I've also learned how to turn a no situation into a yes.

I enjoy working with my co-workers. I increase my learning by watching how they handle difficult situations and applying it to my work ethic. Everyone gets along with one another, which makes the work place a pleasant place to be.

The hardest part of my job is helping people who just won't be appeased. Sometimes I have to learn not to take it personally when they raise their voice at me. This can be challenging.

Lastly, the most enjoyable part of the job is watching the 3-6 year old children laugh and enjoy being at the Y. I also enjoy know that I indirectly help people make their lives better!
Fun and active place to work
Program Director (Former Employee), Parkersburg, WVAugust 20, 2015
Pros: YMCA membership, benefits, fun work enviornment
Cons: many evenings and weekends
In charge of all fitness and sports programs. Had the freedom to start any new programs. Spent part of my day in office as an administrator and part in the pool or gym teaching.
Busy and challanging environment
YMCA of Downtown Manchester Associate Teacher (Former Employee), Manchester, NHAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Positive work environment, wonderful benefits, enjoyable co-workers
Cons: Unorganized new management, unstable schedule
Really enjoyed working with the staff and students. I was hired as a associate teacher with hopes of teaching art classes but after new management I became a float. While being an associate teacher I was in one specific classroom teaching alongside a Lead. I worked with pre-K and helped with daily duties such as preparing snack, prepping for lessons, supervising free time and creating a safe environment where the children could learn and have fun. The most enjoyable part of this job was the rewards that came with it. Helping children learn and grow has always been something I strive to do. Watching the children learn a new skill or even just making new friends was the best part of my job. The hardest part of the job was new management. I was hired in hopes of being able to teach art lessons to the children. This never happened and I was placed as a float. I did not feel as though I was being challenged enough and the duties I was preforming had nothing to do with why I had applied in the first place. Overall I really enjoyed my co-workers and the children. I left this job because it was not challenging me enough and ended up in the field I did not want to pursue.
Great organization that does so much for the community
Summer Camp Site Director (Former Employee), Staunton, VAAugust 20, 2015
The YMCA is a wonderful organization that allows all community members to feel welcome. Their summer camp program is second to none. Children are able to have a full day of fun, play, and learning while their parents are able to work their full time job stress-free of their child's whereabouts.
Stressful
Instructor/Tutor (Current Employee), Lakewood, CAAugust 20, 2015
The management has hired relatives and continuously feels as if you are being watched. Makes work environment stressful. Communication is lacking and needs serious improvement.
fun place to work.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee), Santee, CAAugust 19, 2015
Love working with the employee, an management was the best. The members an there kids was nice an fun to talk with. Enjoyed every minute i work there.
Community involvement and family unity and setting standards for the health industry
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Fairfield, CAAugust 19, 2015
Pros: Training programs and gaining knowledge
Cons: Limited revenue for adding wellness programs
Volunteering in child care and providing personal training for clients, as well as member retention and merchant donation goals monthly, were diverse learning opportunities about non-profit organizations. The staff was supportive and sincere. The most difficult part of the job was losing an elderly member due to illness or disabiliites. The most enjoyable part of the job is how rewarding it is to work with the youth groups and change people's lives for the better.
Fun, loving, warm workplace
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Montclair, NJAugust 18, 2015
Working with the YMCA has taught me to have a lot of patience within myself as well as learning to listen before speaking.

The hardest part of my job is not getting through to all the children, and having to understand that you have to be repetitive going along with learning to have a lot of patience!
only for college students!!!!
Custodial (Current Employee), Spokane Valley, WAAugust 18, 2015
if your looking for a full time job look some where else you only get 29 hours here and by the end of the night you want to kill the parents of the kid(s).
Building Supervisor and After School Coordinator (Current Employee), BeloitAugust 18, 2015
From the members, to the co-workers, even all the way up to the directors, everyone involved with the YMCA are wonderful people! I've enjoyed being a part of this great place and i encourage anyone to be a part of it too.
Fun workplace working with kids
Child Watch Monitor (Current Employee), Foxborough, MAAugust 18, 2015
Enjoyable workplace whose "company" has a great mission. I have held multiple part-time positions, but have probably donated more of my time. It is an easy place to have a part-time job that can fit in the busy schedule of a family.
Non-profits are rewarding in nature.
Marketing Director (Current Employee), North Arlington, NJAugust 18, 2015
A typical day at work is very busy. Most people handle multiple jobs. Working for a non-profit can be rewarding but not if you need it as your primary income.
fun to work
Lifeguard Instructor/Lifeguard (Former Employee), Hacienda Heights, CAAugust 17, 2015
such a great environment to work at, everyone one was positive every day going into work. i had a great time working here and i would recommend this job to many
YMCA
Membership representatve (Current Employee), Pueblo, COAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Discounted membership for family
Cons: Minimum wage
Work with members on a day to day basis. Provide accurate information on programs and membership rates. Provide a positive attitude for a pleasant experience and to make members feel they are important and appreciated. create ideas for programs that may be used in the facility with Director approval. Job can be fast paced at times, flexable schedules and opportunities but overall is a great place to work.
Great atmosphere and diversity
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee), Roxborough, PAAugust 17, 2015
YMCA provides families and communities the opportunity for healthy life through activities such as 5k's, workshops and exercise classes. Working with the staff is always a positive.
Summary
Admin Asst/Well Coach/Personal Trainer (Current Employee), West Des Moines, IAAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Working with people, education opportunities
Cons: There is not much room for advancement within the YMCA.
I have been extremely fortunate in my career with the YMCA. I began working with the children. I was given multiple opportunities for advancement.
A typical day is spent interacting with the public, meeting with clients one on one, or within a group. I perform any duties needed that would contribute positively with cleanliness, working as a team, or needs for the facility to run effectively.
Health Insurance Customer Service Trainee
Trainee (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 17, 2015
Curriclum was very structured and informative
Came as a trainee and didn't work in any capacity other than a trainee and in health insurance customer service simulation.
Headquarters