YMCA Employee Reviews

Found 11,187 reviews matching the search
Management consists of clueless gossips
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  PAApril 23, 2017
THE CULTURE IS THE WORST.
The YMCA that I work at rewards those who gossip and make fun of other employees, the children and their parents. If you don't participate in the gossip, you become an outcast. I am overly qualified (educated) for my position and have a few years of’ experience, but management constantly talks down to me as though I am unable to understand extremely simple directions and concepts. (Note to management: just because you feel the need to repeatedly give simple instructions in slow, dumbed down language doesn’t mean that I needed the instructions to begin with. I just listen politely because I have to since you’ve punished me before for interrupting when you were giving “lessons” on elementary school level concepts.) The environment at the Y where I work is so negative that some days, it is really hard to go in for fear of what insults or false accusations they'll make next. Thankfully, there is one coworker who doesn't talk down to me and helps make my job tolerable.
THE CHILDREN ARE THE BEST
The children are the best part of the job, of course. They are creative, silly, lovable, and eager to learn about the world around them. It brings me joy to see them laugh, play and learn.
BOTTOM LINE
I would assume that not all YMCAs have this kind of workplace culture, but the particular location where I work is terrible. Do not work here if you have a brain and tend to use it, because management will be highly offended.
Working with children v. working with some of the adults
Off site site assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 23, 2017
I loved working with some of the children. I enjoyed seeing them every day after school. This was something I could look forward to. Some of the adults were not pleasant to work with.
Pros
Getting to know the children
Cons
Management, Coworkers are rude
A fun work experience
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Mantua, OHApril 23, 2017
Summer camp was a lot of fun, but it is not enough pay for the amount of work and responsibilities. On the daily you are responsible for all of the children, a lot of paper work, communication with parents, and many other rules.
Pros
fun field trips
Cons
minimum wage
Average job
Kids Zone Attendant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 22, 2017
This job was ok. I worked here for 5 years and the pay isn't amazing, it's pretty minimal. But it's great if you need something while you're in school and you need experience.
Pros
Pretty typical workday
Cons
Minimal pay
It was an ok job.
Maintenance Crew (Former Employee) –  Roseburg, ORApril 22, 2017
It payed for what i needed.I liked my co workers not so much my supervisor. This job works for people who like nights and can keep to themselves mostly.
amazing experience
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 22, 2017
one of the best jobs I've ever had the pleasure of having my services needed very amazing experience the people the kids all amazing 2 thumbs up I feel if you love to have fun an do different activities with an older setting of children this job is amazing
Fun workplace
Gym Attendant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 22, 2017
The work environment was very fun and the supervisors always took good care of the employees. They would switch your job so that you could get experience in other work areas.
amazing place
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 22, 2017
You will never have a dull moment when your a lifeguard. We were always having fun whether it was making trains down the slide or working all day in the heat. We always started the day with a group chat and ended the day with a group chat.
Pros
great hours
Good Job for students
Lifeguard, Swim Instructor, Coach and Referee (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 22, 2017
The Y is a great place to start off your working career, its neither over exerting or so easy it developed a poor work ethic. You work while you are there but there is a sense of family while you are there for sure. In short they care.
Pros
Environment, family oriented
Cons
low paying, minimal advancement opportunities
Fun people
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAApril 21, 2017
Its the ymca its a wonderful place to work. But dont expect to be paid much because its a nonprofit organization. The people who come in are wonderful and so are your co-workers but managers and supervisors only want to cover their butts.
ymca
On certain occasions assist Vet (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 21, 2017
it depends on which location you work for. unfortunately based on the location the amenities have a drastic difference, and consequently the location plays an important role as well
Pros
nice coworkers
Cons
mgmt
ymca
Richmond District YMCA After School Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 21, 2017
The Richmond ymca is a cool branch. If you've never been there before I would reccommend doing so. No basketball court but their is a fair amount of equipment.
Happy environment
Lead Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hillsborough, NJApril 21, 2017
I loved working at the YMCA. I went through training before I started to work that assisted my future work ethic. I learned a lot from the staff, campers and myself.
Great but flawed
Counselor, Youth Advocate, Computer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 21, 2017
This entire persona of diversity is not true. Once working within the company you'll notice a lot of injustices and institutional racism. If your not careful they will use as much of your talents to their advantage without considering a raise. My first boss was amazing , and working with the youth though saddening at times due to their backgrounds. It's very rewarding to know you can make a difference in a teens life. If you are too emotional its defiantly not the job for you. One has to have a thick skin especially dealing with urban youth. Some other YMCA's maybe better to work for but the two branches I've worked for destroyed my perception of what they stand for.
Pros
Great time with staff and youth
Cons
Politics and ending of vital programs for youth
Great management and flexible schedule
Child Watch Staff/Gymnastics Coach (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILApril 21, 2017
Management at the YMCA is amazing. They are friendly, experienced, and knowledgeable. I love that I can work around my school schedule and home life! My co workers are also friendly.
Pros
schedule
Cons
short shifts
Fun part time work
Group Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Arvada, COApril 21, 2017
I enjoyed my time with the YMCA. I worked off-site at a neighborhood clubhouse, so I didn't get into the culture of the main building. My fitness classes were fun, the members are great. I enjoy the senior crowd and the YMCA is a great places for that.
Always busy, engaging with community
Director (Current Employee) –  FloridaApril 21, 2017
YMCA is a great place to work to start out your career in the working world. It is a non profit so you have to know that your life is dedicated to the YMCA at all times of the day everyday. Because it is non profit the pay is low and expectations high. Some areas where there are YMCA's it is a whole difference environment with lots of room to grow but in a low economy environment the stress level is high and turnover is high.
Pros
Flexible schedule most of the time, benefits only full timers
Cons
High stress, time consuming, low pay
Productive and fun place to work and interact with clients.
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Middletown, OHApril 21, 2017
My day consist of instructing clients how to use work out equipment in a safe manner and motivating them to workout. I also give out advice on workouts and balancing a healthy diet. I have learned to be kind and be empathetic when assisting clients. I have a manage keeping my clients motivated and on track with there workouts and goals. The work place is great, I get to motivate a variety of people from different ages to different backgrounds and its wonderful. The Hardest part of my job is trying to keep myself motivated while keeping my clients motivated too. The most enjoyable part is helping motivate my clients to reach there goals.
Pros
Free membership, Free insurance.
Cons
Low pay.
Fun opportunity to create a healthy and wise culture.
Wellness Director (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 21, 2017
Truly believing in the mission, the cause, and the opportunity to create healthy habits that in turn produce healthy lifestyles. Opening mindsets and actual doors that allowed children and the families to cultivate a sense worthiness is a very rewarding and fulfilling opportunity.
Work Life balance
LIFEGUARD (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, CTApril 21, 2017
Great environment for student employment. Encourages growth and development of skills and leadership. Ethically focused and centered on a safe environment for members and staff
Pros
flexibility

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval