YMCA Employee Reviews

Good work place experience staff
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 15, 2018
I liked working for the company and wouldn't mind coming back it was a good environment and good staff I love the experience and learned a lot from the people I work with I'm experienced in general maintenance sweeping vacuuming mopping etc working knowledge of cleaning equipment and solvents used skilled in receiving packages stripping and waxing floors replacing base boards painting and I enjoy what I do I work there previous and came back and moved up and exceeded my expectations I had working im easy going and can get along with people skilled on loading dock unloading and loading very efficient and quick yet safely organized shelves and utilization of shelving system I have worked on a pool system keeping the water chlorinated opening locker's for customers and washing and preparing towels for customers setting up and breaking down parties closing and opening up the building removing snow maintaining the grounds of the building and keep the perimeter clean emptying garbage cans sweeping the hallway and maintaining over all cleanleness
Pros
Good people
Cons
Not being respectful
Review
Youth Leader (Current Employee) –  3121 U St, Omaha, NE 68107February 15, 2018
A typical day at work is laid back and free, I learned to make plans and how to appropriately handle students, management is fine and the director is awesome, workplace culture can feel segregated at times, but over all we work together to get the job done, the hardest part of the job is cleaning up, the most enjoying part of the job is making new plans.
Pros
No paid time off
Cons
Lots of time off
Once was Great
Membership Staff (Current Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCFebruary 15, 2018
I once loved this job but with new management the environment became very uncomfortable, attitudes arose, and the once family like environment became just a place of work
Cons
management played favoritizum, no benifits, only part time
there are great people that work for the Y but Experience plays very little on advancing as it's a buddy system and friends can start at the top
Maintenance Lead Technician (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDFebruary 15, 2018
if you have a buddy at the Y that will get you much further than good work ethics and Experience. most employees are great workers and very friendly but the ones that are not advance quickly and it hurts the over all moral creating a large turn over. There are some departments that do have good managers and there the ones that live for the mission and are not part of the in crowd. Members love the Y and are treated well but many employees are not treated with respect. I would recommend a membership to friends and family but I would only recommend a job there to my enemy. Very unprofessional
over all.
Pros
Awesome Mission
Cons
major buddy system with the managers
Beware of Working at YMCAs
Technical Director (Former Employee) –  Wyckoff, NJFebruary 15, 2018
YMCAs are great for family oriented people who didn't go to college. The jobs are low paying and mostly part-time. There is a great family, and friendly culture but mostly seems fabricated. NOT a good job for college-educated individuals looking for career advancement. Career advancement goes to family members of upper management, very rarely hires or promotes from within.
place to work if youre in high school
Youth Counselor After school Child Counselor (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 15, 2018
Place to work if you're in high school. A place where it's easy to work but some supervisors are not good at what they do. Would not recommend to someone.
Exciting place to work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAFebruary 14, 2018
YMCA was a relaxed place to work. Employees and guest were easy to get along with and. The atmosphere was as a family. I had full use of the gym and it's equipment.
One of the worst jobs I have ever had.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 14, 2018
The group of employees they have are engorged in gossip. The main boss has a son that also works for the YMCA and he is completely the worst. The main boss will let him pick and choose the days he can miss and if he can leave early. The rules always change, and people are always gossiping.
good employer
Membership Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COFebruary 14, 2018
YMCA is a great place to work. Membership desk requires a lot of learning, processing paperwork, answering phone calls, building relationships with members. I would recommend the position for people who are great with processing paperwork/building relationships with customers.
Fun workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, MAFebruary 14, 2018
Fun to work with everyone. Fun being with the kids.
Management were flexible. Most enjoyable part of the job is been with the kids and their parents.
unorganized
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIFebruary 14, 2018
This job is always a mess. It is the worse job to have. Unorganized and a complete mess all the time. Administration do not know what they are doing at all.
Front Desk
Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 14, 2018
I am a very health conscious person, my personal heath is foremost in my life working at the YMCA gives me the opportunity to workout, stay in shape and continue to live a healthy life, in a fun and exciting work place. The managers are personable and caring to each employee, we are a close unit. The hardest part of my job is going home at end of my shift. I have learned strength training aquatics cardio and the proper ways to stretch. One of the greatest perks of the job is meeting and greeting our members and providing customer service.
Pros
free membership
Cons
no health benifits
Great place to Work
Lead teacher/Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Oconomowoc, WIFebruary 14, 2018
Camp Counselor and Before and after school program lead teacher. In charge of daily activities during the camp season, along with activities for the kids during the before and after school program
Workplace
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXFebruary 14, 2018
Answers telephones; responds to requests for information; and answers inquiries regarding rules, regulations, policies, and procedures. Performs data entry and retrieval and prepares related reports; compiles, organizes, and tabulates data; makes copies; and maintains files and records to include automated information systems. Reconciles daily shift intake of money, at beginning and end of shift.
Pros
Laid back, fun and family friendly atmosphere.
Cons
No benefits.
Very friendly
Child Care / Youth Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 14, 2018
Very Productive and exciting place to work. Everybody that works in this setting are very friendly and fun. Most of the parents and children that come through daily are respectful and loving.
Pros
Spending time with kids
Decent Place to work
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 14, 2018
The YMCA is a decent place to work. Work environment is nice and co-workers are nice. However, the YMCA needs to expand gym area. The Y needs new gym equipment and needs to ask younger members on how to improve the gym. Needs younger members on board of directors.
Upbeat and exciting environment
Coach (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MNFebruary 14, 2018
I was a youth coach for the YMCA; the coaches would have to arrive a half hour early before practices to set up things for the practice. Then once the kids showed up, we'd do a quick warm up and a game, and then start practice.
Place was ok to work at
Lead Teacher/Assistant Teacher/Floater (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSFebruary 14, 2018
Lots of staff turn around
Bosses higher up don't care about the "little guys"
Didn't always handle issues
A LOT of training
Had some sense of a family
Pros
Free lunch, free gym membership
Cons
Sometimes no breaks, drama
I enjoyed the little ones
Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NYFebruary 13, 2018
I also loved watching the little ones while their parent(s) worked out.
I met a lot of very nice military families and managed to make a few friends as well!
Pros
free membership, and I was able to take my son with me.
Cons
not enough hours
Rewarding and amazing experience
After School Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 13, 2018
The YMCA of the Silicon Valley is an amazing organization to work for. The Staff was great and cooperative and they work in synergy with each other. My filed supervisor is also an amazing role model for the staff and the children.
Pros
Excellent staff
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

58.7K