YMCA
2,483 reviews

YMCA Employer Reviews

Maintenance (Former Employee), FortWashington,MDJune 27, 2014
It is a very fun work environment. co-workers are nice to get along with
Enhanced my receptionist skills. Enjoyed all of our clients & co-workers
Receptionist/Clerical (Former Employee), Monterey, CA 93940June 26, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Enjoyed everything that I was assigned to do.

Fond memories of several of my co-workers.

The hardest part was having to leave because my one year volunteer time had expired.

I was unable to be hired because this is a non-profit organization and they did not have the funds to hire a receptionist.
Fun place to work if you love working with kids.
Territory Director (Former Employee), Oracle, AZJune 26, 2014
Pros: fun in the sun
Cons: only open during the summer
Great enviornment if you're outdoorsey type. Great place if you love kids!
fun workplace and nuturing place to grow
Medical Director (Current Employee), Montclair, NJJune 25, 2014
Cons: very little full time positions
Co-workers are the most unique individuals that there are, this job experience in general has been one of the most unique job experiences as well.
Fun
Counselor (Current Employee), Glen Allen, VAJune 25, 2014
great Place. Be prepared to work with many types of people.k cnjkkkkkkjklvkjkcljcvjv
vcjkxcjklvjclxj
okay place
Youth Development Leader (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 25, 2014
Fun experience just not something i would make a career out of.
wonderful company
Lifeguard (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJune 25, 2014
family first , very comitted to the community. non-profit organization
Positive and Healthful Environment
Lifeguard (Current Employee), Salem, VAJune 24, 2014
Pros: free membership
Cons: fitigue
The YMCA is known for it's high energy, encouraging, and positive staff, as well as for it's respectable standards for healthful living, team spirit, and family outreach. Every day is a positive experience because the attitudes of the members and staff are consistently joyful, and boisterous. There is a thriving conjoined drive among the entire community – more... to help one another reach personal goals.

I learned: That teamwork and encouragement are great ways to pave your way to success. To never give up. To always listen. That finding time for breakfast is more important than most know.

Management: My supervisors have been mentors to me, and I have built relationships with them. I have great respect for each of my supervisors, and always try to learn form them.

Co-Workers: Aquatics Safety is a common goal among lifeguards, and we share the responsibility of the livelihood of our members. While on deck, we become one unit of focus, and safety is our primary function. A process of bonding occurs during our shifts, and although we see very little of one another, the level of respect we have for each other is great.

The hardest part of being a lifeguard is maintaining focus for hours. It is important to stay healthy and strong, so that fatigue is minimal.

The most enjoyable part of this job is the benefit of a free YMCA membership. Visiting the gym on a regular basis is a great way to improve ones quality of life, and overall level of self esteem. – less
Productive fun safe day for program, all activities were coordinated well and students participated well too.
After School Assistant Site Director (Former Employee), Morgan Hill, CAJune 24, 2014
Making connections with students while teaching and mentoring students is what is the enjoyable part of being a school site assistant director. Watchin students participate in program as they have fun and earn educational curriculum activities.
Awesome Experience!
Counselor (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAJune 24, 2014
Pros: mentoring children
Cons: no cons
Was a joy to be able to work with children and mentor them. Making sure they make positive decisions in their future.
Fun Work Environment
Director of Program Waterfront & Trailblazers (Former Employee), GaJune 24, 2014
Learned Great Management skills, with co-workers that are happy and excited to be at work. Great Memories.
I volunteer because I chose to, my children participate in sports there, and they do not have enough staff, so I help out.
Volunteer (Current Employee), Olympia, WA, Tacoma, WA, Lakewood, WAJune 24, 2014
Pros: i enjoy volunteering, and helping other staff.
I enjoy volunteering at the YMCA's in various area's. My children participate in sports, so I always help out and volunteer to be a part of their family. I cannot give money, but I can certainly give my time to the YMCA, and Evergreen Swim Club where my daughter also swims.
good job
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee), Clifton Park, NYJune 24, 2014
I got paid to be a big kid and I loved every second of it. I helped children with there homework and then had different actities for the children to do befor there parents came and got them
Very Rewarding Job, Wish it was a Full Time position!
School Age Teacher (Current Employee), Westbrook, CTJune 24, 2014
Pros: meet many new people, fun and enjoyable position
Cons: pay is low, no job security
The staff that I worked under was very caring and generous, always put their employees first. The job security is not exactly in tact, while working here many employees were let go, even after working for the company for over ten years. The School Aged Program itself is very fun to work for, and I enjoy working there very much. I get along very well – more... with my co-workers at the site I am located in. – less
Fun Workplace
Personal Trainer (Current Employee), High Point, NCJune 24, 2014
Pros: gym membership
Cons: not fulltime
Most days are very relaxed and laid back. My experience with different fitness equipment has allowed me to expand my knowledge of a variety of exercises. The directors are all professional and friendly along with all the co-workers. Everyone has the same goal to make the YMCA the most successful it can be. The hardest part of the job is losing members – more... due to them passing away but developing the relationship with them is most rewarding as you see them progress to their goals. – less
A Great place to work, Good family values
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Prescott, AZJune 23, 2014
Cons: pay scale is low.
The YMCA in Prescott Az is a nice place. They have good values and treat employees with respect.
Fun workplace
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Broward CountyJune 22, 2014
A typical day at work would be keeping the children constantly engage throughout the day. Yet, keeping them safe. The goal is to make sure they enjoy their summer vacation,
Awesome job
Sports Director (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNJune 22, 2014
Pros: stable work, free membership, indoor and outdoor activities
Cons: budgeting, managing resources
This was an awesome job if you love helping others and running sports programs. It was a job that would keep you busy, but with all the fun stuff going on around you, it wasn't like work at all. The management is absolutely outstanding and they really care about their employees. I recommend this job to others.
productive fun
Volunteer (Former Employee), Irvine, CAJune 21, 2014
I love it I was required to go due to basketball and it is apart of our community service but it has provided me with a chance to give back. I realized it is not about the money when you are volunteering I got this feeling with the kids that even through all the hard work I was worth it.
the school was great!
After School Counselor (Former Employee), Kingwood, TXJune 21, 2014
I loved my students, they were all different in many ways, they were the ones that wanted me to stay and kept me going to work everyday.

About YMCA

YMCA of the USA is the national resource office for the nation's 2,663 YMCAs, which serve nearly 20.2 million people each year, – Read more