YMCA Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Fun Expert (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 12, 2018
it was a great place to work everyday was taking my group of kids to class and after class making sure they stay active and making sure they stay safe.
Fun and safe working envirment
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Delmar, NYFebruary 12, 2018
It's a great place to work which really thrives off the idea of teamwork. It can be tough at times but the people they hire and the members that come in every day make it all worth it at the end of the day.
Pros
Great working envirnment
Cons
Not a lot of money
Fun place to work and meet people
Building Supervisor / Cert Gr Ex Instructor (Current Employee) –  Negaunee, MIFebruary 12, 2018
Fun and challenging place to work. Very enjoyable to see clients make progress with weight loss and exercise. Very family friendly and supportive environment.
Pros
Discounted memberhship
Cons
Few hours and no benefits
Fast-paced and enjoyable if you like children
Voulenteer (Former Employee) –  Belmont, NCFebruary 12, 2018
Working at the Stow YMCA was an important experience for me. They taught me leadership training while going there, and allowed me to volunteer to help clean up and provide for the children.
Pros
Free gym pass
Cons
Very specific dates for hiring
Great Mission, hopefully brighter future
Regional Director of Talent Development (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 12, 2018
It was a great experience, challenging financial situation. Always had the opportunity to help transforms lives and families in the communities we served.
Pros
passionate people, interesting work
Cons
financial reward
Great Place to work
fitpath health coach (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAFebruary 12, 2018
I loved working at the YMCA. The people and management was wonderful. The compensation isn't great, especially since it was an internship and I was a volunteer. It was great and allowed me access to do what was needed.
Pros
Kind people
Cons
pay
Fun
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 12, 2018
It was a really fun job almost like you get paid to be a camper and the kids are great ! Poor training you get thrown in and you’re expected to know what to do
This was a temporary job
Swim instructor (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAFebruary 12, 2018
My job was to maintain a cheerful and safe learning environment for up to 7 children at a time. Keep record of their learning and improvement, communicate with parents and management about these improvements, and start and end classes on time.
Great Experience
Camp Starfish Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYFebruary 12, 2018
Revolutionary
Learned communication skills, how to be organized, teamwork.
Great management
Workplace culture is lovely
hardest part of job was leaving for school.
most enjoyable part was making people's day.
Rewarding but stressful
Assistant Day Camp Director (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 12, 2018
Working for the Y can be rewarding because as a staff you are committed to spreading a positive life style for all. At the same time its stressful because the pay is not all that great.
Personal Training
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Madison, ALFebruary 12, 2018
I was hired on as a person training just as a temporary job while I find something more permanent. Everyone is nice and an enjoyment to work with, however, it is very difficult to receive clients. I have been working here for about 4 months now and only have 3 clients for a total of 5 hours a week. If you are looking to work as a personal trainer I suggest looking into other gyms.
Ok
Maintenance/Custodian (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTFebruary 12, 2018
The job is not too stressful or fast paced. It is a good place to meet interesting people. The workload usually isn't very strenuous or excessive. Most of the staff are easy to get along with. Communication between departments isn't great, even within departments information isn't passed on.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Short breaks, no breaks. Not enough hours.
Good Job for College Student
Youth Sports Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 12, 2018
I have worked at the YMCA as a site supervisor for the greater part of my college career, and it has worked out perfectly. The compensation for a college student is fair and they are very flexible with hours.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No advancement
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North Canton, OHFebruary 11, 2018
The YMCA is a great place to work. A typical day finds you greeting members as they enter the building, helping them check in, answering questions that they have about membership or programs, signing up new members and enrolling members and non-members in programs.

The best part about the Y is how caring most of the members are. When you're working the same shift, the regulars begin to expect you to be there and will stop to talk about life, making you feel like you're a part of the YMCA family.

The most difficult thing can be during the slow times, there isn't a lot of busy work to do so there will be times when it's boring. I've occasionally taken a book to read in between engaging members.
fun place to work
Assistant Teacher (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAFebruary 11, 2018
staff were respectful and welcoming. enjoyed working with kids. Great location. would recommended this job to others. would love to work at this location or another again
okay
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, GAFebruary 11, 2018
very slow but laid back. A lot of great people in and out of there and does have daycare for parents. There was a lot of down time there. I would go back if I needed too.
Pros
4 hour shifts
Cons
slow
Fun Job if you love working with kids!
YMCA group leader (Current Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOFebruary 11, 2018
I enjoy this job very much since I get to work at a school everyday and interact with kids! The only downside is it does not give very many hours. It's an exciting time everyday you go into work.
Interesting place to work
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Westerly, RIFebruary 11, 2018
I love working at the YMCA because you meet so many new people and interact with the members. Because It is a small town Y, everyone knows everyone. Therefore, its hard to make friends because you don' t know who to trust.
Working in the Pool
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 11, 2018
I learned a great deal when it comes to children. I learned that not every child learns the same and if that's the cause I have to work to their need in order for the child to learn. A typical day at the YMCA would be in the evening's in the pool with about 3-4 kids in a group while playing tag and blowing bubbles underwater. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the child come from being terrified of going into the water to loving being in the water.
Pros
swimming, under the sun, breaks are often
Cons
short breaks
Best experience of your life
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Allatoona, GAFebruary 11, 2018
To be with kids all day everyday is not only part of the job, but part of the privilege. You spend your days doing fun activities with meals/ singing and dancing, etc. It is a tier job that you must work for, but it was the best time of my life and if I could go back I would!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

58.6K