YMCA Employee Reviews in United States

Found 8,293 reviews matching the search
working with kids in childare and in the workout facility with people
Afterschool staff/Weight room facility assistant (Former Employee) –  Archdale, NCMay 16, 2016
I enjoyed working with kids making sure they had homework done. As well as guiding them and setting good examples. Helping people in the gym was a passion of mine too.
Pros
laughing with kids all day
Cons
minimum wage
Overall great place to work
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 16, 2016
With the YMCA being the first job I ever had, it has taught me a great deal when it comes to leadership and work responsibilities. I appreciate the YMCA as an organization and I am thankful for all I have learned.
Great family work place
Child Care Teacher (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 16, 2016
I worked in the childcare, so my typical work day was looking over children and planing out activities. I learned to care and take on responsibility over the members children. My co-workers were fun and easy to get along with. The hardest part of this job was trying to not get emotionally attached to the children. The most enjoyable part was watching the children grow through out the years.
Pros
Being in a fun and happy work place.
Cons
The day i had to leave after years of watch the kids grow.
Productive and Passionate Work Team
Aquatics Instructor (Former Employee) –  Aquatics Instructor and Childcare WorkerMay 16, 2016
I had a diverse team to work with. I was able to work on my feet all the time. I helped out in the kitchen a lot and I served the elderly constantly every day for dinner. My position at Englewood Meridian lasted for eight months and my position at Wellshire Event Center lasted for two years approximately.
Pros
I love working with elderly people
Cons
It can be challenging physically for long days
Productive work place
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMay 16, 2016
clean restrooms

vacuum floors

clean locker rooms

scrub showers

buff floors

wipe down equipment

I learned how to clean and work with others

management was good and got along with co workers

I didn't get enough hours

I enjoyed the work
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Not enough hours and pay rate
Safe and respected place to work
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 16, 2016
The most enjoyable part of this job was unlike babysitting, being a camp counselor allows you to develop friendships with the kids for a full time week or two weeks. We have the privilege of supporting their passions and helping them grow as young individuals. They can be handfuls at times but my co-counselors made the job way more fun! I would say the hardest part of my job was pleasing all the kids and making sure they weren't missing home too much and enjoying camp.
Pros
Being with the kids for a week to develop friendships
Cons
No breaks, full time
I enjoyed the children I was able to watch daily.
Babysitting (Former Employee) –  Fairborn, OHMay 16, 2016
A typical day at work was too many children of all different ages all blended into a room together. I learned that one must find ways to keep the older children occupied so that the younger children did not get hurt. Another thing that helped was to find ways to incorporate the younger group of children with the older children so that they were all playing together.
Pros
free membership to employees
Cons
too many kids in too many age groups
Great to provide knowledge regarding wellness.
Level III-Wellness Coach (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 16, 2016
Best part of this job is giving elderly and young people knowledge and instruction involving Health and Wellness. Giving out tips on nutrition, exercise and a healthy lifestyle comes natural to me.
Fun and a lot of laughter
Floating Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXMay 16, 2016
This Job I floated (traveled) from school to school, often having 20 children and 2-3 staff members under me at one time. I maintained and operated sites on many levels such as service operations and making sure each site was fully stocked with supply's.
I also dealt heavily with the children and their parents during the school year and worked with the special needs children during the summer. I learned a lot from the summer kids and parents alike and i am very grateful for what i learned as now I am able to apply that to my own children who have special needs.
great work place
Fitness Liaison (Former Employee) –  Rome, NYMay 16, 2016
loved working for the Y they make the job fun they give u a member ship when u work there all around a good job and a great environment
Pros
good people
Cons
not great pay
Loved every bit of it
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, ILMay 16, 2016
The Y is a great place to work! My bosses were amazing and i couldn't even imagine working without them. Nothing would be the same without them
Having different activities to accommodate each child
YMCA Staff (Former Employee) –  Garfield, NJMay 15, 2016
The most enjoyable part of this job was working with different children. They were all bright and different in their own ways and it made me grow as a person. We all worked and did activities together and everyone treated each other equally.
Great Experience
Mini-care Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIMay 15, 2016
Great work environment with friendly coworkers and flexible scheduling. Opened and closed claimant files, paid bills, received incoming mail, filed documents, sort folders, etc.
Safe and friendly work environment
Child Watch (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 15, 2016
Hours were negotiable with great communication of sudden information. I learned more about how to make a child feel safe and to be friendly in a work environment. I enjoy making the children smile through the various activities like finger painting. The hardest part of the volunteer work was staying on your feet through the hours.
Pros
Volunteer experience
Very fun and productive workplace
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2016
A typical work day working at the YMCA was very busy in the morning keeping the kids active with activities and games, then lunch and swimming and it would wind down after that with nap time. Working here I was able to learn how to be more patient with children. The hardest part of the job was trying not baby someone because I love kids. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to make a difference kids life and make them smile.
fun,hard working
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 14, 2016
it was lovely knew everything so quick it was not that hard , everyone was respectful, the work was a good expericened with co worker that knew how to train good becuase i cuaght on in a instant.
Prodective and fun with small and big families club.
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 14, 2016
The Ymca can be a really nice environment for the family it has lot's of clubs for the whole family it also provides before and after school program for families. Co-workers can be some harsh it all depends on the staff.
Pros
After school care, provide lunches for the school and snack, good summer camp
Cons
Needs to be more organized, more hours.
They are great!
Response Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZMay 14, 2016
The people there are amazing. They become a true family and are always open to help and assist! its very enjoyable especially always meeting new people and being able to assist them with there needs.
Swim Instructor / Life Guard
Swim Instructor / Senior Life Guard / Swim Coach (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 14, 2016
Maintained safety and well being of patrons using aquatic facilities. Maintained equipment. Taught over 2000 kids and adults both beginner and advanced level swim technique. Resident coach of Blanchard Park Titans.
Productive workplace, I learn a lot from watching kids.
Site Director (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 14, 2016
I am very thankful for the opportunity to make an impact in these kids lives. In one school year, I have made such a connection with them, and that is the best part of my job!