YMCA
3,804 reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

Enjoyable work environment, coworkers are great people, management slightly under-effective
Fitness Instructor (Former Employee), Port Huron, MIJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Free Membership
Cons: Poor Management
Working at the Blue Water YMCA was a fun experience and I have no regrets. I learned a lot about time management, working with people ( customers and coworkers alike), and how to improvise t make things work. The only thing I would have changed about my particular YMCA is the management. In short, it was top heavy and there was too much miscommunication. Other than this issue, however, I very much enjoyed my time there.
Great for College Students
Member Services Rep/Officer of the Day (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Rewarded if you do well, generally easy labor, friendly clientele, free membership
Cons: No full time, no benefits, no promotions, no references
In a nutshell, this job is great for college students and bad for everyone else. There are no full time positions available and there are no positions between you and your director. Where you start is where you finish unless someone retires.

You do get recognized for a job well done, and the jobs available are pretty easy for the most part. Free membership and paid sick days are the only perks.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Group Leader (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXJuly 8, 2015
Assists in implementing the daily activity of programs and curriculums. I supervised and children in all activities including physical activity, food services, and academic development. My role is to also assist the Site Director when needed, maintain the use of restrooms, grounds, equipment, and supplies.
good program
Family Involvement Specialist (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJuly 8, 2015
I work for Early Discoveries, a grant funded program run through the YMCA of SHR in partnership with Virginia Beach City Public Schools. The program is designed to help at risk families of preschool aged children learn the skills needed to help them prosper in their future education.
Oversee 6 licensed childcare sites, staffing, childcare billing, safety & transportation.
Director of School Aged Childcare (Former Employee), Palm Desert, CaliforniaJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Enjoy making a difference
Cons: Challenges with staff
I oversaw 6 licensed child care sites. I did all the billing, registering, reciepting of monies paid, and parental questions. I coordinated the staff, school schedules and transportation to and from school. I oversaw the transportation facet as well as the safety facet at the YMCA.
Such a great place!
Childcare Teacher (Former Employee), Brainerd, MNJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Great learning environment, and the staff were incredible.
Cons: Long hours, no benefits, hourly wage.
The YMCA was a great working experience for me. I have learned so much about myself and what it takes to run a happy, health, and fun child care center.
A Place to help kids develop into productive members of society
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Davenport, IAJuly 7, 2015
Working with children and helping them learn to become better at all their skills is always rewarding. The hardest part of the job would be seeing children grow up and leave. I enjoyed building relationships with everyone.
Great facilities with lots opportunity for improvement.
Executive Director (Current Employee), Lawrence maJuly 7, 2015
Great community to work in. The partners are amazing and extremely supportive of the work we do. It is great to see the power of collaboration in action to help those that in need. Lawrence is a great city that is going through a major transformation and one that will continue to embrace its culture.
The Best Job I Ever Had
Youth Sports Coach & Referee (Current Employee), Boise, IDJuly 7, 2015
This is my favorite job because it was rewarding and involved two things I enjoy...children and sports. I strongly recommend working here and would work here again any day.
Great working environment
Youth & Sport Intern (Current Employee), Muncie, INJuly 7, 2015
I love interning here and every one is very invested in their job! All of the professional staff are very helpful and lead by example.
Excellent Workplace
Co-teacher (Current Employee), Kissimmee, FLJuly 7, 2015
I loved working for bright horizons. It was a real professional environment. I loved the place. As teacher we also got a chance to pick are partners and the age group we wanted. We got monthly training to keep us on top.
its a nice and fun
junior counselor (Former Employee), la Honda CAJuly 7, 2015
Pros: great experience and learned a lot
Cons: to me there was no cons
over my time at work I would take my campers down to the mess hall and eat then get them to their first activity of the day and supervise them through out the day until dinner. Then i would take them back to the cabin and have reflection on how the day was and go to sleep. I learned a lot more about child care and how to handle difficult tasks and to use my creativity to come up with other activity's for the kids.
Productive Fun and Hands on
Coach, Trainer (Former Employee), Toledo, OHJuly 7, 2015
Fun place to work and interact with kids. A great way to get involved in the community as well as meeting new kids, family, and friends. Its a great place to become a leader.
Engaging and enriching work and people
Camp Leader (Current Employee), Wallingford, CTJuly 7, 2015
Working in childcare is challenging, yet rewarding and enabled me to grow strong skills in customer service, child development, and overall professionalism.
Exciting and fun place to work
Toddler/Preschool Assistant teacher (Current Employee), Webster, NYJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Friendly atmosphere
Cons: Very short day
Working for the YMCA is a great experience overall. I work alongside wonderful ladies in the 2 yr old pre-school room. I was hired as as assistant in this program. The management team has shifted a bit over the past year, and I am totally fine with that. On a typical day, work begins at 8:45, we set up our room on a daily basis because it is used for other purposes. One side of our room is used for large motor development and the other for play learning centers. If our program were full the ratio would be 1:4. In the past two years we have been introduced to the high scope program, and I am – more... enjoying learning more about it and how it relates to the children. Working in this environment, I have learned quite a bit about meeting the needs of all the children in my care. To be honest, the hardest part of my job is not being able to apply my skills as effectively as I would like. I feel limited only because the program day is very short, and the same ideas are used every year. The most enjoyable part about working in this facility is that I am able to make connections with the children and their families. Its very rewarding to see a smile on the parents faces when they see their children's growth. – less
Wonderful Workplace
Clerk (Former Employee), El Paso, TXJuly 6, 2015
This company is very family oriented and believes in assisting you with improving your educational needs. I learned a variety of skills during my time with this business.
Good First Job
Summer Camp/After-School Program Counselor (Current Employee), Atlanta GAJuly 6, 2015
Really good part-time position for a first job. Able to learn a lot of transitional skills such as flexibility, patience and tolerance.
ymca
Membership Services Representative (Former Employee), Andover, MAJuly 5, 2015
really easy job, Coworkers are friendly. Management lacks communication skill. free membership included with job so that's convenient. Basic computer skills requireed.
Enjoyable place to be
Maintance Worker (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJuly 5, 2015
Worked in the day time so I had time with my children growing up and was able to be active in their activities . I leaned all different aspects of cleaning for a public building. I cleaned locker rooms showers, pools an pool areas. The members were best part many are still friends today.
Awesome place to work
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee), Wilmington, DEJuly 5, 2015
I've loved working at the YMCA, it's been the best 3 years of my life. My supervisors have always been good about listening to their employees, and my coworkers have always been supportive.

About YMCA

The YMCA was established over 160 years ago as a charity dedicated to the health of both individuals and communities. Our focus – Read more

YMCA Salaries