YMCA
3,114 reviews

YMCA Employer Reviews

Overall great place to work
Morning Program Counselor (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: working with kids
Cons: dont pay quite enough
The morning program really allows you to build relationships with these kids and to make a difference in their education. Whether it be helping them with homework or simply playing a board game. Management is great, and so are the co-workers. Every now and then they are really low on staff and hire people on the spot so you get stuck having to really train someone while also trying to take care of your responsibilities but it is worth it. The hardest part is the early mornings, bring at the school at 630 in the morning while also being a college student is rough but still enjoyable.
youthful and energetic organization with great benefits
Youth Program Site Supervisor (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: free gym memberships
Cons: variable pay rate during school vacations
Youthful and energetic organization with great benefits. I have an excellent site team and we always strive to deliver the best work we can. We have excellent administration and community support, allowing our program to always be monthly site goals.
It's Flexible
Art Instructor (Current Employee), Springboro, OHJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: limited childcare, membership
This job fit my schedule and a enjoy the people I work with. I enjoy working with the public and sharing my art skills. It is challenging. I must be flexible with my lesson plans as I may not always have the supplies I need to teach an art class.
Camp Counselor
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VaJanuary 2, 2015
Typical day would be seeing your child coming in with their parents and the simile on their face knowing they are in good hands for the summer. Learned that child will always need guidance and we are here to mold them into good people. Co workers are so much fun, and loved all my ideas we had to set up for the children. Hardest part would be disciplining the bad cookies in the group of child that would ruin a lot of the fun for the rest of the group but they learned and we had a successful camp.
Great environment to work as a Tae Kwon Do Instructor
Hammond YMCA Tae Kwon Do Instructor (Current Employee), Hammond YMCAJanuary 2, 2015
I work with student of all ages to learn the Martial Art of Tae Kwon Do. Market my classes by social media. Work closely with executive director to bring in more students. Order uniforms and other Tae Kwon Do gear. I enjoy training the students and watch them advance in belt rank.
Great for entry level
Senior Program Director (Current Employee), Pennington, NJJanuary 2, 2015
If you are looking for an entry level job into the childcare field, then this is a great fit. Hours are flexible and provides you with the opportunity to strengthen your individual skills and talent to become more familiar with the childcare field.
good work place
Child Care Worker (Current Employee), Conover, NCJanuary 2, 2015
Monitor children during nap time
Supervise in scheduled time for restroom, outside play, and snacks
Entertain, provide a safety area, and show love to each child
CPR and First Aide Training
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee), Mount Pleasant, PAJanuary 2, 2015
It was volunteer work and was very fun. I helped children through obstacle courses and with physical exercises.
day camp counselor for kids ages 5-13
Counselor (Former Employee), Plainfield, ILJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: free ymca membership, great facility, very good work environment
Cons: dealing with different personalities isnt always easy
Responsible for overseeing group of about 10 kids. Planned games and activities for the time they spent at the YMCA. Very friendly work environment everyone got along very well throughout the facility. Hardest part of the job is trying to keep a group of kids busy all day. The most enjoyable was being a positive role model for kids to look up to.
Productive and Fun Workplace
After School Teacher (Former Employee), Stockton, CAJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: impacting and touching the lives of the kids.
Cons: no benefits or monetary compensation at all
my typical day involved working with about 22 to 24 fourth and fifth graders with homework and different type of activities. My co-workers were very nice. The hardest part was leaving my kids that I had come to enjoy and love because of the no incentives or benefits from the company.
Fun and challenging atmosphere
Group Leader (Current Employee), Hollis, NYJanuary 1, 2015
I just started but it is a job of patience and fun. The kids are great but you have to make sure that they are safe and they are learning but having fun.
able to save people on a daily basis
CPR, First Aide, and Emergency Oxygen usage (Former Employee), MarylandDecember 31, 2014
it was nice but rather not be in a atmosphere where no one valued your workmanship.Managers relaxed all day in the a/c while others had to stay in the heat and watch kids and make sure no one was misbehaving.
Great workplace, Fun with children
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee), 5th W 63rd StreetDecember 30, 2014
Pros: long breaks, free swimming classes
I interacted with parents and children in the morning welcome and afternoon goodbyes

Played and taught children how to interact with each other in a safe way

I learned that there are certain signs to tell if a child is being mistreated at home.

The hardest part was getting children to understand safety rules

the most enjoyable part was to interact with the children and see that they were happy and enjoying camp.

Co-workers were friendly and very focused yet nurturing and kind with children.
Efficient and Good Management.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee), Twin Falls, IDDecember 29, 2014
Pros: lots of experience in pool maintance
Cons: not enough hours and not enough pay.
Good use of time. Lots of time in the sun and around people. Co-workers were diligent about doing their job and part. Management was good with scheduling.
Great place to combine community and fitness
Spinning Instructor (Current Employee), Tarrytown, NYDecember 29, 2014
I work part time at the YMCA running Spinning classes, but enjoy all the benefits of membership and being active in an organization that not only offers a place to be fit but serves the community as well.

It's not just a gym!
Fun workplace to tan and swim
Head Lifeguard (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CADecember 29, 2014
Pros: free use of pools, fun environment
Cons: seasonally operated
I managed the lifeguard staff and maintained facility operations. I learned how to manage a pool facility and how to interact with YMCA members. The best part of my job is that I get to teach people how to swim and become active individuals. I love being able to teach kids about pool safety as well as the skill of swimming.
Learning something everyday
Childcare Counselor (Current Employee), Navarre, FLDecember 28, 2014
Pros: i am constantly learning new things about children
Cons: management, pay
Working at the YMCA as an After School Care, Childcare Counselor, I have the opportunity to change children's lives. There are allot of children who come to the Y, who live in a poor home, who have parents that are in the military, who's parents are never home, or children who don't have parents at all and are in foster care. I get to work with these children and give them the care and support that they need, as well as a giving them guidance with everyday circumstances in life. I have never had a job where I get along so well with all of my co-workers. We work together great as a team. The hardest part of the job, I would say is sometimes working with another coworker when we don't agree. For instance, when it comes to disciplining or redirecting children, we don't always agree on the best coarse of action, so I think sometimes it leads to conflicts with the parents. I am constantly learning new things about children every day, and I love learning. I think children are amazing. They are funny, silly and sometimes grumpy, but I love what I do at the Y.
Fun place to work.
Member Services (Former Employee), Allentown, PADecember 28, 2014
Pros: fun environment
Cons: non-profit organization
Fun place to work and learn from coworkers. Exciting place to meet and learn from people. Both the management and the members of make working at the YMCA an a great place to work. The most challenging part of the job was doing multiple duties and receiving little pay. I enjoyed the flexibility of the job, the free membership for my family and I and the discount I received for placing my son in the YMCA's daycare. Only issue I had was that the job did not pay much.
Great company to introduce yourself into the healthcare world
Childwatch and Membership Staff (Former Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 28, 2014
Pros: convenient locations, several transfer opportunities
Cons: low pay, limited benefits
I have worked in several departments at multiple branches and found that each department has its own unique identity. It is not hard to venture to new departments within the company as well as explore other sites once you get started. My typical days in childcare are fun, enjoyable and the kids are easy to work with.
okay
Site Supervisor (Current Employee), Livingston, NJDecember 28, 2014
Pros: learning experience
Cons: bad pay
Workers do not get paid enough to do what they do. Dealing with children and their problems after a long day at school is not how someone wants to spend their day. The Y needs to have more options for pay and hours to work.

About YMCA

The YMCA was established over 160 years ago as a charity dedicated to the health of both individuals and communities. Our focus – Read more