YMCA Employee Reviews

productive and fun.
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILOctober 15, 2017
excellent work condition,working with the youth and teaching them life skills.management about 120 kids in a safe area and also planed events for the youth basketball games.
Pros
learning to control and pray for the kids.
Cons
the kids did not know how to play.
Everyday Work with the YMCA
Youth Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 14, 2017
I work with kids in daycare everyday through the YMCA. It is usually very fun and makes for a relaxed and easy day. My coworkers are great and help with everyday tasks.
Pros
Fun work
Cons
No breaks
teaching lessons
Lifeguard/swim instructor (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WAOctober 14, 2017
the best part of teaching is the "Aha!" moment you see when your kids understand. that is most fulfilling. other then that it is quite boring. lifeguarding is monotonous and slow
Pros
free membership
Cons
little hours
It was a good place to work and I would recommend to a friend.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, MDOctober 14, 2017
This was a very fun summer experience as a camp counselor. The energy and atmosphere made it a great place to work. I plan to work there for many years to come.
Good Temporary job for students
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 14, 2017
Get to work with children. Get to enjoy field trips, crafts, games, etc.
Management was good, flexible and willing to work with you.
Good part time job for students in college. Only difficulty is disciplinary situations and arguing kids. Most rewarding was making a difference in many kids' lives and watching them grow up.
Pros
Field trips, play all day, hang out with amazing kids
Cons
Displinary action, cleaning up bathroom "accidents" having to work at 6:30am
Fun place to work and a great place to network and meet new people
Wellness Coach (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 14, 2017
Working at the Ymca is a great place. I am a currently athlete so it benefits me because I get to work out there and train still. I also enjoy to help people out so it's a great temporary job for me at the moment in my life.
Community Development Programs
Site Director, Childcare Attendant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 14, 2017
Childcare for members, Site Director (planning activities, scheduling) for elementary K-5th grade summer camps. I learned that community development programs like childcare, fitness and sports are important to members. The YMCA organization has a longstanding positive reputation with sustainability and I admire it's ethical, corporate management style. The hardest part of the job was low hours, low hourly pay and lack of personal benefits for my family. Full time positions were rarely available. I enjoyed the friendly people I worked with and met in the community. Programs were available for ages birth to 100+ years.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, community members.
Cons
Full time not available, no personal benefits.
Ymca
Construction Intern (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYOctober 14, 2017
It was fun and cool working with kids fixing thing that needed to be fix. They understand your at home problem and they help you after you done with them for a years .
fun place to work
SITE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 14, 2017
The Y is an amazing place to work. You learn different ways to communicate with others and children. you learn about yourself and the type of personality you have. Once you work at the Y, your coworkers become friends, the students you teach become your own kids and their parents become family to you.
Pros
a lot of events, free gym membership, gain relationships
Cons
no benefits for part-time employees, no overtime allowed
Families love YMCA
Sports Coordinator / Camp Counselor / Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CAOctober 13, 2017
i loved working here. It was my first job. i was a scorekeeper for the basketball teams. I moved up to run the leagues. It was a great family environment.
Pros
Working out for free in the gym
Cons
Couldnt go work out there on Sundays
What to expect working at the YMCA
Child Care (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 13, 2017
- Sometimes there are busy days and sometimes there are slow days.

- It is a great place to work.

- Remembering to sign up for yearly CPR classes.

-Being around different people
fun place
Head Lifeguard and Swim Lesson Instructor (Former Employee) –  Gates, NYOctober 13, 2017
I really did enjoy working here, there was just no room for advancement in my area and I had college loan debt to pay off. I would like to work for The Y again if the chance arises.
Pros
nice work environment
Cons
harder to progress than other businesses unless you switch locations
job atmosphere
Secretary/Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Monroe, LAOctober 13, 2017
My typical day consist of assisting customer external customers with taking payments in Quickbooks, with questions about our different programs and assisting our site workers of our after school programs. I also assist the program directors with anything they need.
Pros
great co workers and boss
Cons
not having the community support for this non profit organization or the board members support
interesting
Health Promotion Intern (Former Employee) –  Ocean Springs, MSOctober 13, 2017
I was an intern and they treated me great. I would recommended the YMCA to someone looking for a job that is related to people. They do great work in he community.
Productive and fun
YMCA Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXOctober 13, 2017
Had to make sure every child at cox elementary was safe with a smile on their face before parent pick up after school playing games giving snacks counting heads and gettin sun energu
Pros
I love kids and to have fun
Cons
When kids don't want listen
Local part-time employment
Customer service and cash balance daily (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIOctober 13, 2017
The job offered me an excellent work and family balance. I worked part time to balance our growing family as the kids were in high-school and getting ready for college.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay
Great family environment
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALOctober 13, 2017
The staff is very close and treat each other like family. The job is fun and laid back. You can meet a lot of different people from the community working here.
Fun hard working enviorment
Group leader/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAOctober 13, 2017
A typical day at work was home work tutoring, prepare snack,arts and crafts,supervise free play outdoors and engage and supervise group games and songs.
Pros
being with children
Cons
short breaks
Fun Work environment
Associate Lifeguard and Swimming Instructor (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIOctober 13, 2017
Unexpected hours, stressful work environment at times, no exceptions of work advancement. Non-profit so low wages. Drama all the time, especially with directors.
Impactful organization
Building & Properties Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Oak Park, ILOctober 13, 2017
Working for the Y was a great experience for me. They have excellent benefits. I was able to learn a lot about how to be a manager, budgeting, Operational plans, etc.
Pros
Made a difference
Cons
There is never enough time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.