YMCA Employee Reviews

Found 9,505 reviews matching the search
Excellent place to connect with and support youth programs across the country.
Temporary Support-STEM Initiative (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 5, 2016
A typical day involved everything from statistical reports and website management to preparing educational materials for nationwide training conferences. Through this job I greatly increased my knowledge of the Word and Excel software which enabled me to write reports and put together complex statistical breakdowns from various databases and work with YMCA staff across the country on a daily basis. The hardest part of the job - multiple deadlines. The most enjoyable - being able to work from home and do a variety of tasks from one day to the next.
Ymca Review
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COOctober 19, 2016
A typical day at work was very interesting because you would watch people swim and save them when it was needed. I made two saves throughout my career. The management was OK during my career.
Pros
schedule, people
Cons
very little pay
Very hostile work place
Y-Care (Former Employee) –  Portage, INJune 1, 2016
Doing child care no one cared about the kids. When we had days at the Y, no programs would accommodate for us and we would end up being outside all day. The supervisor was great but the person he reported to was a jerk. She did not help him out at all and made it really hard to tun the program. We all earned minimum wage even after a year and promotions to site supervisor. I handled hundreds of checks and still had minimum wage after a year. Working with the kids was the best part, it was so fun to chill out after being a student all day and come draw or play legos, so it wasnt a complete waste.
Pros
Kids give you gifts and cards on holidays and stuff
Cons
The actual YMCA management in Portage is a bunch of jerks
Not appreciated
Assistant Aquatics Director (Current Employee) –  Hilliard, OHOctober 19, 2016
You work long hours and do not get appreciated. You are expected to "beg" for money which takes away from your time to get your everyday work done. The staff I looked over were amazing but upper management has no idea what they are doing.
Pros
Fun Staff
Cons
Fun and enjoyable, fitness center, friends along with co workers
Camp Director Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Selma, ALOctober 26, 2016
A typical day at work at the YMCA is coming into the facility seeing the members working hard to achieve a personal goal to become healthier.
What I have learned by working at this place is that you learn to work together as a team and everyone has different jobs.
Being over summer camp helped me understand management along with working with co-workers.
The hardest part of the job is during the summer time when you have to say goodbye to the children and parents.
Being able to talk to everyone that is a member or non member of the YMCA
Lifeguard
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Sherwood, ARJanuary 2, 2017
This is a good place to start an entry level position as well as management positions. This is a very family friendly company that makes a work/life balance easy for you to manage.
Very rewarding place to work with people
Aquatics Director (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILOctober 17, 2016
A typical day at work for a salaried employee, especially in Aquatics, is usually 6 days a week, 10-12 hours a day.
I learned to create and manage a budget; manage and schedule a large staff; create and implement programs
At the Y there is a great amount of turn over in upper management due to overwork and burn out; and that if there is an issue you need to talk about there is no where to go
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with people, especially those that need a little extra attention such as those with behavioral issues and learning disorders.
Pros
rewarding to work with people and make a difference.
Cons
Long days, little appriciation, upper management turnover, bunout
One of the most unorganized places to work at in the country
HRIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 15, 2016
Management Practices are unorganized there is no future vision i felt like i was in high school no clear vision of what is supposed to be going on. These people still use paper to do employee transfers definitely a step down for anybody wanting to move up in their career.
Pros
Productive and encouraging environment.
HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 2, 2016
I learned how to manage my time and tasks wisely, while balancing my swimming/school schedule accordingly. My co-workers and supervisors were very understanding of my unique schedule, which made my work much more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was learning the culture, and the unique ways in which they conduct business. My job completely revolved around the tasks within the Human Resources department, as I assisted those who needed help with finishing projects related to benefits, payroll/administration, and onboarding. Overall, my experience with the YMCA was a very good one, with excellent co-workers.
Good place for if you're a customer not if you're working
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNNovember 30, 2016
No raise no living wage not enough hours and barely more than minimum wage but the job was okay it wasn't that hard it was pretty easy was pretty cool too
Pros
Free gym membership nothing else
Cons
Agape
Friendly and Excitable workplace
Child Care Art Director (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, NJJuly 31, 2016
Worked with them for 4 years going on my 5th, worked with a repetitive schedule which works for me. I bring new ideas each day for an art project I plan to do with the children. I worked with great co-workers and enjoyed the environment. I am disappointed I have not been offered a better position nor have I ever gotten an increase in pay.
Pros
Great company, Great people
Cons
no benefits, no advancement
Great plcae to work
Membership Services (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 4, 2016
a typical day at the YMCA, I am answering phones, talking to members and scanning them in. I sign people up for memberships and give the occasional tour. I have learned to keep situations calm and to great socoal skills. built lifetime relationships here. Management is great, my bosses are amazing! I get along great with my co workers and when someone needs their shift covered we all have each others backs. the hardest part of my job is handling unruly members who don't want to abide by the rules, but it always gets figured out. the most enjoyable part of my job is building relationships with the members.
Productive and fun workplace
Site Director (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 11, 2017
I get the day started by organizing my supplies to get the kids ready for a fun and busy day after school. I learned to be very patient with kids and to be a role model that they can look up to. At my site I am the manager, but overall the management is very good. Co-workers can be hit and miss, mine happens to be very good with children. The hardest part of my job is dealing with children with behavior issues. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the children smile.
Pros
Get to hang out and pay with kids all day and coach them with simple life ideas
Cons
Low pay, not many full time opportunities, hard to move up
Overall: Good
Dry Land Conditioning Coach, Hockey (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WISeptember 6, 2016
My typical day would require training clients in the fitness venue, or teaching a group fitness class/athletic group fitness. I learned something new each day regarding ailments of populations I served, modifications for fitness skills, and etc.
The management was very good at the YMCA, as our manager was generally concerned about the members and their experiences at the YMCA.
My co-workers were always willing to support and help in necessary situations.
The hardest part of my job would probably be hearing about a members injury or illness.
The most enjoyable part of my fitness job is the reward I would receive by watching my fitness participants benefit greatly from the classes I was teaching.
Not organized at all
Camp Director (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 3, 2016
I was very displeased working here. Management had no idea how to run this company. we were left without supplies and people all the time. It wasn't fair to the people that actually were there for the kids, like I was. They had two main managers that ran the camp leave within a week of each other in the very beginning of camp. we as employees were told an hour before it happened, and this was in the first two weeks of camp. Leaving us stranded with no guidance and looking for answers, but we never got them.. it's either sink or swim with them. they have a very high turn over because they don't care about their employees. It's truly sad.
Great
FRONT DESK REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXSeptember 2, 2016
Great learning experience. Very great job culture with management willing to teach and help grow people. Very busy times of day so keeps one busy. Can be said to be typical retail so one has typically deal with customers. Great co workers who are willing to help and care for one another. Great job culture and great management.
fun coworkers
School's Out Site Director (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, RIJanuary 11, 2017
Fun coworker, however, management is sloppy and unorganized and can become frustrating at times. overall not a bad place to work.
Pros
free membership
Cons
no benefits for part time workers
Fun environment
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJanuary 6, 2017
If you do not like kids this place is not for you. The personal connections you make with people is what makes working here fun.
Pros
meeting great people
Cons
pay, lack of benefits, management is not good
Negative work place
Intern (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 29, 2016
Very negative place to work , Not a good work life balance , Bad management , The pay is very low , Not willing to help educate their staff. I would not recommend working here unless it is part time
Great experience and fun environment
Assistant Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 2, 2016
At the YMCA working in the ASES program your typical day was a day including fun filled activities with a purpose. You made your job how you wanted your day to go. Working with students and being that voice in their life that they may not have is one of the greatest accomplishments I had. The hardest days that I had were ones where a student had a bad day at school. Feeling like it was one of your own children that was going to have consequences for their actions. Everyone wanted to enjoy their work and it started with the management. They made it fun and set the culture for the supervisory staff to bring that culture to the school sites and staff.
Pros
Great work experience, fun, career advancement, build rapport
Cons
Compensation, part time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.