Yodle

Yodle Employee Reviews

No upward mobility, no clear cut career paths, and treated like children
Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 15, 2014
You may be treated like a child and by this I mean the benefits and incentives Yodle offers are not competitive. I pay almost $500 a month for health insurance for myself and one child. There is no 401k matching and no plans for it. Their tuition reimbursement plan is just about enough to cover 1.5 courses at a state university. In short, everything an adult with a family would be looking for concerning benefits and ongoing educational support is not there - this includes a clear cut path to salary increases and potential promotion.

What they do offer is candy, chips, cookies, free soda-pop, free t-shirts. Fantastic. If you're just out of college and don't yet have many responsibilities this may be a great gig for you, no offense intended. I really feel like 10 years ago I would have been elated to be working in this environment, free mac and cheese, what else could I want? But beware the entrenched middle management members who have very little experience, they aren't going anywhere anytime soon and this creates a vacuum where there is very little opportunity to move forward with your career. Don't get me wrong, many people were promoted, but many of them were the same individuals being singled out over and over and many of the "promotions" were just lateral moves. In most cases we are being asked to do more and more work with no increase in compensation. This was done until the employee gets burnt out and then leaves or gets fired for a "bad attitude" and then an all too eager replacement is hired to start the cycle over. This has become the Yodle way: do not develop or encourage
  more... the talent you have, get what you can from them until they are disgruntled, then replace them. In my eyes, this is a massive failure of management because they haven't taken the time to get to know their workforce, the talent that they have, or how to develop each individual. They are far too busy with their daily dose of meetings and their own personal projects to really develop anyone.

To put this another way, many of the teams at Yodle don't have managers, they have project managers who sit with the team every now and again; the rest of the time you may never see them. You and the members of the team will support each other and get to know each other very well, which is great. But not so great when it comes time to try and get promoted to bigger and better things. Your manager never had time to set out a goal plan for you and is rarely understanding of where your talents lie because they don't have the time to collaborate or get to know you. Whether this culture is by design or by accident, It is unfortunate that this is the type of leadership model Yodle currently embraces.

Finally and most importantly, I was very disappointed that their company values were not taken seriously. When I chose to live and work by them I was disciplined. I realize most companies use their marketed "values" as just that, window dressing and not really a code by which employees should use to make their decisions. It was also very frustrating to see that a year ago Yodle was a very accepting environment to work within; very little arrogance from the management staff and everyone seemed eager to cut through the BS and hear suggestions from everyone. Now, there is too much ego, too much arrogance, too much money being thrown around and the culture has suffered greatly as a result.
Pros
free food (albeit junk food)
Cons
all of the above
Cool Company, Terrible Management
Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 15, 2013
I joined the company in June with big promises from the recruiters. They write on their mugs "Question Authority" "Customers Rule" "Strive for Greatness".... but if you actually do any of these things you'll be written up and harassed; either until you quit or you're fired.

The management doesn't take the time to understand what's going on. I was the top performer on my team, but since my manager didn't like me she harassed me everyday until she was able to force me out.

They don't like you doing anything above and beyond. When I complained about harassment to the VP, her advice to me was "put your head down and work like a dog." There were no resources in the company that could help my situation.

Very dirty company. Do yourself a favor and keep looking for a job that will actually help you grow. If you're strapped for cash, just take the job and keep your job search open. They'll do you really dirty and they'll do it pretty quickly.

The company is not innovative like they advertise on their social media page. Most of the meetings are circle jerks and a waste of time. Avoid at all costs.
Pros
unlimited time off, free soda, 401k, occasional free lunches.
Cons
extremely high turnover, terrible management, no opportunity for growth, no transparency, no employee resources, no raises or bonuses, no voice for workers, no heat in the winter, inflated positions, disorganized.
The Yodle Experience
Essentials Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 2, 2015
On the outset, Yodle looked like a great fit. I already had experience working with clientele on the phone, and adjusting to the original script was not difficult. I was given two segments (which kinds of business I called, i.e. interior designers, real estate agents, general contractors, etc.) each of which required different wording and training. However, after a month in training and another month in the "Excelerator Bay" (sic) I found that the leads we were being given in those two months were newer and better quality than the leads we got on the actual sales floor. Another problem that arose was that I was selected to take part in an experiment in which new scripts were being used. This didn't seem like a bad thing at first, but the fact that I had to re-adjust to a new script, I was given old leads who had heard it all before, and about every month or so they changed my segments without training me on how to communicate with that segments' business owners, I had pretty much given up hope that I could succeed no matter how many businesses I called. So basically, if you want to succeed there, you need to self-source all your leads and get on your managers' case about training for new segments.
Pros
Free lunches, Friday evening happy hour, great commission plans, healthcare
Cons
High-pressure, numbers are based on leads within the company, not self-sourcing
Great vision but lacks preparation
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 26, 2015
Yodle is a good company to help any one understand the Online Marketing Industry a bit better. They are always developing new ways to incorporate the latest marking trends into their product set.

Most of the managers care for their agents and want to see them to succeed. There is a good combination of hard work and positive reinforcement to ensure that clients needs are handled correctly and efficiently.

The only opportunity is that the company maintains a "Leap Before They Look" mentality which may lead to discovering new achievements but at times has negative impact on the front line employees.

Care about the employees as much as you care about your clients and the company would reap the rewards.
Pros
free lunches, employee appreciation days
Cons
micro management, aggressive accountablity
Great work environment with a superior marketing platform.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 23, 2015
A typical day at Yodle includes making 100-150 cold calls to SMB owners identifying areas of opportunity for ROI and increased exposure for their business.

During my time with Yodle I've learned the psychology involved in sales. I've learned how to listen to clients chief concerns and how to address them proactively.

Management is comprised of knowledgeable men and women who are not only subject matter experts on our platform but also experienced closers. They have proven to be proficient in using logic to minimize clients concerns.

The most difficult aspect of the job is that in order to be successful you have to be self motivated. Your success is predicated on that days performance.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the atmosphere and culture.
Cold Calling with Very Little Opportunity
Sales Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 4, 2016
I gave this place 3 weeks, even after learning that it was just Cold Calling Lawyers and Other rude business owners. You follow a cut and dry script, and success chance is about 1%. Sure the culture is nice, "Free" lunch. The base pay is a joke. Expect to call 200 calls a day with maybe one successful sale that you don't get to make.

The management seems nice, but in training alone, she was trash talking the entire staff, Not very professional.

Beer and Wine on Friday afternoons to promote drunk driving is really nice though. First come first serve.
Pros
"Free Lunch" (okay quality), okay coworkers
Cons
pay, actual job, tools for success don't exist.
Great place to begin a career in a fast paced young environment.
Marketing Associate Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 6, 2015
The company strives to keep the culture young, energetic, and enjoyable. It actually feels, for the most part, genuine. But because so many people want to work there, they are able to offer lower salaries which can be frustrating for those that have friends in similar positions with companies in similar fields.

A lot of our job is done through an in-house API but since I have been promoted I deal more with the logistics of the day to day as well as managing personnel.
Pros
Free lunches, camaraderie, good work/life balance.
Cons
Low pay, movement can be difficult.
Best place I've ever worked
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 30, 2014
Great company from a standpoint of "right market at the right time" .. which echos throughout the organizational culture.

I enjoy working with the extremely energetic and upbeat culture... there is a vibe to the people around you that is contagious.

The free lunches and friday afternoon beer kegs are something that you don't see very often.

I've worked in about 10 companies in my 15 yr career ... Yodle is by far the funnest and I actually look forward to going to work each day.
Pros
free lunches, great atmosphere
Cons
pay can be a little below average
Great Company
Sales Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 11, 2013
Great company but changing management constantly. One person will tell you one thing, and one person, another. Great atmosphere but every manager is different and they definitely like to micro-manage. Be ready to kiss butt. Co workers are great. Most of them. Some are way too competitive.
Pros
free lunches, great culture, happy hour on fridays, great co workers, potential to make a lot of money
Cons
micro managed, don't cross any one in upper management or you will pay for it in your paycheck, they have way too much hand in your success by controlling what segments you can call, etc, have favorites
The place is cool the job sucks
Yodle/Lighthouse360 (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 14, 2015
Ive been workin for yodle since october 2014. my first month did very well and was awarded the top rookie award. from there on out i just started realizing how much i couldnt stand the job. not to mention two of the sales that i had passed to another rep that closed did not get split with me. very frustrating when you are doing so much work for only 9 dollars an hour. bottom line wasnt happy so i left
Pros
free lunch, ping pong music
Cons
the job
Fun and energetic place to work
Small Business & Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 16, 2015
Contacting small business owners for consultation with Online-Marketing.
I was able to learn beneficial organizational skills to keep track of various accounts. I also was able to develop basic salesperson services while sharpening my communication skills.
Management did a great job of thoroughly training and expressing employee expectations.
Co-workers as well as the overall energy was great. Everyone showed great team comradery on a daily basis.
Hardest part of the job is effectively communicating the customer.
The high energy and atmosphere is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Amazing Training program
Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 5, 2013
Start my morning out with a cup of coffee, and then normally a team meeting with our manager. An extensive an indepth sales process that was extremely beneficial to my growth in Sales. Management was great you have any questions, and they will assist you. Work environment was great they really allowed for individuality. The job once you understood it was not too difficult. Good pay.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
it just depends on the person, but longer breaks accustomed to how you work.
Horrible Management
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 19, 2013
This company has no direction and unqualified personnel as management. They test ideas by throwing things to the wall and seeing if they stick (no method to their madness). They invest their time and money in the wrong type of resources. If you want a job with no creativity, a non-competitive salary and no opportunity for advancement, then this is the job for you! The ONLY positive was unlimited vacation, which they still monitor and record, so I assume it will be taken away shortly.
Pros
unlimited vacation
Cons
no vision, horrible management, no advancement, no creativity
100% Cold Calling
Sales Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 13, 2015
The culture and management were fantastic, but nothing could make cold calling enjoyable. The telemarketing scripts sound pushy and aggressive, and it didn't help that they were deceptive. I say "deceptive" because I found many contradictions in the wording – blatantly obvious contradictions. Now, my peers and management there really did care about my professional growth, but the work did not fit with my personality or values.
Pros
Culture, free lunch every day with matching 401(k)
Cons
Benefits aren't that great, low 401(k) match.
Very fun sales environment
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 23, 2013
A typical day at work included meetings, pump up sessions, cold calling, and closing business. I learned a lot about the sales process from my managers and co-workers, who were great by the way. The hardest part of the job was that it can be pretty grueling cold calling all day but it's always rewarding when you're helping the company grow and helping business owners expand as well.
Pros
set schedule, free snacks, paid vacation
high stress
sales rep (Current Employee) –  austinApril 14, 2015
Make about 150 cold call dials a day. It depends on which segment you have to call, but you can get burned out with the job really quickly. Most of the time it may not be you, but rather the segment your calling.

Constant fear of getting fired if you dont meet the minimum, and they don't tell you this at the beginning of the job. some people move across the country for this... shady.
Challenging work place
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 15, 2015
Great place to work, we are a team of 20 inbound reps. I take inbound calls everyday from customers. I deal with seo or ppc issues. I recommend and advise on budgets and campaigns. As i am tenured I enjoy helping anyone on my team with any issues that they may confront. My manager knows that i am here to mean business monday thru friday.
Pros
Free Lunch - I Am Self Managed
Cons
Parking
Typical Day
Collections Consultant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 31, 2014
Yodle has a great culture but the management has been coming down hard on teams that have top performers. Lunch is great, new caterers are amazing. Hardest part of the job is dealing with customers on a daily basis that are less than happy. Most enjoyable part of the job is the freedom I have to do my job the way I see necessary.
Pros
free lunch, freedom to create your own hours
Cons
micromanaged, poor bonus structure
Good for what it is
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 11, 2013
The product is good, the clients are good, the work itself is good, the team is great.. but if you are looking to grow or have career advancement, look elsewhere. This is a good place to gain some experience, make some money, and then move on. Not a place for innovators.
Pros
managers, culture, snacks, bonuses, compensation
Cons
limited mobility, high turnover for upper management, yet very little opportunity for lateral career changes.
Fun work enviroment for a very stressful job
Sales Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 11, 2015
A typical day consisted of making outbound calls to attorneys and insurance agents in attempt to sell them online advertising. Unfortunately, we had to adhere to a strict call script, and we never were taught about the actual product and packages we were selling. Management was average, while fellow co workers seemed to want to help whenever possible.