Young's Market Company

Young's Market Company Employer Reviews

Wine & Spirits
Independent Contract Recruiter (Former Employee), Tustin, CAMay 2, 2014
Pros: remote working, great leadership, reasonable expectations, ability to manage your own process, terrific administrative support
Cons: extremely niche specific
Young's is a terrific company. Their history and success is undeniable. They've been around well over 100 years and for good reason. My experiences with their management team and HR staff has been tremendous and I would say anyone who works for them is in good hands.

Workdays are busy. I work remotely so I balance my phone screens and sourcing for – more... convenient times and when would be most effective. The greatest challenges in this role have always been in identifying extremely niche high level executives for positions outside of my own metro. But it inspired creativity in sourcing methods and innovative approaches. That in itself has taught me a great deal in the recruiting world. The liquor industry is one of the most profitable of all industries, so it's never a bad idea to plan a career in that direction. – less
New experience everyday
Sales Rep/Merchandiser (Former Employee), San Francisco Bay Area, CAApril 25, 2014
Pros: no days are alike
Cons: compensation, thankless job
Head to several accounts a day. If there was a delivery made, take care of the delivery. If no delivery was made, talk to store owner about new products, ideas etc to help grow brands.

My communication skills have increased as well as my sales techniques.
Time for a new opportunity
Director of Application Development (Former Employee), Tustin, CAMarch 24, 2014
Was great working for YMCO but is time for new opportunities.
Good productive and exiting place to work
Delivery Route Driver (Former Employee), Chino, CAFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: goodboy cheks every 3 months
Cons: no cons
Every day it is a learning experience you get to meet new people and be outdoors working at a steady pace. The hardest part of my job is when you have alot of stops and only a short period of time but thanks to my experience I was always able to complete my job and satisfy my clients. Once um done with my route I would return to the warehouse and turn – more... in all paperwork and any product that was refused. Management was very organized and professional. – less
There is no growth in this company for a Designer.
Graphic Designer (Former Employee), Orange, CAFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: were working with my team.
Cons: immediate management, health care
This is a terrible place to work. The immediate manager does not have any experience as a manager nor does he have any experience as a designer. He never went to design school, everything he learned, he learned at the job. He did not know how to turn on a computer. He will suck the life and creativity out of a real designer. Beware, this person does – more... not know the design basics. The VP also is a horrible manager and does not know anything about design. Anything the manager says he believes. The VP use to work at Kinko's and to this day does not have a Bachelor's Degree. Together these two people will destroy the creativity that any designer has to offer in the department. Designers be weary.

A typical day was to select a work order and read what the Sales Force needed for their account. I would either design a new menu for a restaurant or re-design a preexisting menu that was being used in the account. Once finished, I would print the design and place it in the immediate manager's basket where it would sit anywhere from 1 to 2 days for him to proof-read. Any discretion, he would give it back for me to re-do. After the manager would give his approval, I would send the job to the Sales Rep for their review and or approval to print.

The only thing that made this job tolerable were my co-workers who cared about their roles and each other. We were a family among designers.

The hardest part of this job was working with two people who did not know the first thing about design nor about team work.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working my teammates. I learned new tricks and tips and vice versa. – less
Alcoholic beverage distributors
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), West Sacramento, CAJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: no comment
They were very territorial with what products they distributed. They treated their fellow coworkers like stepchildren. Not much to say about them.
strong suppliers relationships
Portfolio Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix ArizonaJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: great co- workers
Cons: lots of hours at work had to take work home on weekends
the most enjoyable part of the job was new brands/ product launch
Great group of people to work for.
Finance (Current Employee), Tustin, CANovember 13, 2013
Pros: 401k, medical
Cons: workload, management
8-5 Job with heavy pressure
Poor Leadership
Micro management
Co-workers very knowledgeable in field of work
Lack of attention from management on simple fundamentals.
Impossible to get promotion
Sales Representative and Merchandiser (Former Employee), Tustin, CAAugust 7, 2013
Pros: alcohol/wine samples
Cons: lifting, pay
The jobs required are not rocket science! but the idea of advancement in this company is not likely. They never reward the dutiful, loyal subjects, "only the family" of Youngs management will get promoted. Management enjoys micro managing you, to the point if annoyance!
They will work you till your body breaks from lifting, then you are disposable. – more... Easy sales experience, but get out early!! – less
Bad situation
Vice President/Division Sales Manager (Former Employee), Tustin, CAAugust 5, 2013
Pros: great brands
Cons: everything else
Young's Market Company is an entity looking for a value system. Not sure of what it wants to be in the distribution market of alcohol beverages, this company meanders from good to terrible with no leadership or vision.

This was the worst company I ever worked for.
Overall leadership has a must win attitude... Great ownership
Vice President (Former Employee), Helena, MTJuly 30, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: travels
company likes to promote from within and believes in strong leadership roles. Continues to drive for excellence and be the Best in the West for sales.
Interesting job
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Orange, CANovember 7, 2012
Travel involved, but there is compensation for vehicle expenses. Customer relationships are the name of the game, and the best part of the job. Lots of perks in the way of beverages.
Hard place to advance
Sales Rep (Former Employee), californiaAugust 4, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule. freedom to run your assigned route.
Cons: very hard to advance.
A typical day of work is pretty easy, but there is a lot of early mornings and physical labor. Co-workers were great. Management will use lower division employees to get ahead. Great job for getting foot in the door for sales.
Very fast paced and people oriented job
Sales Representative/Merchandiser (Current Employee), Huntington Beach, CAMay 7, 2012
A typical day is making it to about eight different grocery/drug stores and selling in programming and ad items. I learned how to be more aggressive and communicate sufficiently with people. My management are smart and always there for me when I need anything. I work in my accounts with my counter part as well as the competition. The hardest part is – more... the heavy lifting of cases and throwing the retailers liquor load. The most enjoyable part is working with people all day, communicating sufficiently and moving from account to account. – less
Stay for the experience; leave for advancement
Anonymous (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 21, 2012
The jobs required are not difficult, per se, but the idea of advancement in this company is foreign to upper management at best. They never reward the dutiful, loyal solider: only the politically connected. Moreover, sales representatives are becoming increasingly micro-managed just to be micro-managing. There is also no lines of communication open – more... to anyone in upper management to anyone from the sales force. Everything must follow a ridiculous, almost laughable, chain of command to the point where it is exhausting. – less