Younkers Employee Reviews in United States

Decent place to work
Clinique Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILJune 8, 2016
Typical day started with morning meetings, learning the stores sale goal for the day, credits each employee was expected to achieve and any issues or concerns of prior day. Once registers were open each, staff member walked their area and straightened up any untidiness and stocked counters with product. Made phone calls to customers that hadn't been in for a while. Greeted every customer that walked through the door and helped them find what they were looking for even if it wasn't in their department or always offered to order it for them and have it delivered to their home. There was always something to do to stay busy during the day before the shift was over.
Pros
compensated well as a cosmetic manager
Cons
Long hours even when the rest of the mall was closed and limited use of coupons
Nice coworkers, bad management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIMay 18, 2016
Fellow employees were very nice but most of the management was very hard to get along with. Some were not professional at all. Managers were always hounding you to get more people signed up for credit cards. Favoritism is a big thing in the Muskegon store.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Constant hounding for new credit card holders.
Unreliable and stressful workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIMay 11, 2016
The employee's are lovely. They are kind and considerate.
It gets really busy around the holiday season and they work you like a dog. Then around January-April you get less than10 hours a week and even if you beg for more, the budget won't allow for you to get more hours. They promise you 20 hours a week as a shorthours associate but they don't tell you at the interview that it's spread out throughout the years. It's 20 hours Averaged a week. So... like I said, they work you hard at certain times and then cut most of your hours in Spring. There are people working there that are happy because they work part time or full time and get crazy good benefits. Short-hours don't get any of that. And it's an incredible challenge to advance in the company.
Pros
Benefits if you advance.
Cons
Stressful sometimes, lack of direction, Hard to advance, few hours
Consists of different tasks you have to do
SALES (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMay 5, 2016
A typical day at younkers would be me coming in the afternoon, doing register and putting returns away. I also when I was done putting things away picked up around my area and refolded things that were messed up. I learned what it was like to follow and clean up after customers. For the most part my co-workers were good and same as management. Hardest part was having to actually find a manager for help and for them to help you through it not just do it. Best part of being able to work in the children's department.
sold clothing
Customer service and sales representative (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIApril 18, 2016
I sold clothing , and helped return stuff and folded ties , and sometimes pants and shirts and belts and slippers among other things
Pros
easy
Cons
slow
Fun place to work. Associates are great to work with.
Sales Associate - Part time (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAApril 16, 2016
This store has gone thru many Management changes since I left so I really don't know what it's like to work there now. When I go there to shop now, the associates seem to be much more relaxed and enjoy their jobs. I think this is a good thing because they will be more productive. The store is very, very dirty with (not enough) old archaic sales props to work with.
Pros
Great Associates
Cons
Previous Management, Store is very dirty.
you meet great people
Seasonal sales associate (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIApril 7, 2016
a typical day at work would include make sure everything is clean and organized and give good customer service. I have learned to multitask . The co-workers are great people that help one another . The hardest part of the job was when we had sales on the floor and our customers wouldn't understand how the sales work and also with people trying to steal doing returns . The most enjoyable part of the job was that we were mostly women and it was fun to work with 2 or more people in a shift . Management was alright they would make sure we get things done and they would let us do our job while they do their job .
Pros
Discounts on everything you buy
Cons
shorts breaks or not break at all
Productive, fun and clean workplace
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 12, 2016
A typical day at work is finding the best coupons for the customers as they bring all their merchandise to the register,I've learned a lot from this job such as things like customers get frustrated because not all the coupons work on every merchandise and the pros and cons of credit cards. We have an excellent management/team going for us and always are there to help when needed. One of the most hardest part of the job is trying to get customers sign up for a credit card, not only to save them money but also to make sure they are getting the best coupons as they are a cardholder. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that people have different knowledge levels so there is always someone to help you if needed as well as being able to help someone if they need it.
Pros
45 minute lunches
Relaxed retail
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Coralville, IAMarch 9, 2016
Overall Younkers is a very relaxed work environment when it comes to working regular or short hour, if you work full-time, such as myself, a lot of the work load falls on you. It's not easy to move up, and management is pretty relaxed for the most part. I definitely do not get payed well for the amount of work that I do.
Pros
My co-works are pretty great
Cons
benifits are not the best nor is the pay
co--workers are great people
Ecommerce (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIMarch 4, 2016
Co-workers are a wonderful group of people. There is a lack of comunication between management and workers. Seeing all the new things for seasons, when unloading the truck is cool.

Want to know more about Younkers?

Ask a question
Great Store, Hard Job
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, IAMarch 1, 2016
Very hard to move up in this company. Management was very scattered and communication was all over the place as well. I loved a few people I worked with and learned a lot from some of the management.
Pros
Some great workers
Cons
Poor Communication
fun workplace to be at
BEAUTY ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIFebruary 14, 2016
very flexible with schedules and availabilities.
good training.
great people to work with.
everyone always has a smile on their faces.
Pros
working with customers and introducing new products
Cons
not enough stock
Fun Place to work
Cosmetic Brand Leader - Lancome (Former Employee) –  Sturgeon Bay, WIFebruary 9, 2016
Management are very supportive towards all employees. Although my job requires me to stand for 8 hours, i had fun working and assisting my customers. Very polite people.
Fun productive work place with great management.
Cash Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 9, 2016
My typical work day is opening cash registers to get them ready for the work day. Balancing closed registers from the previous day for the deposits.
Simple and straightforward sales position.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAFebruary 8, 2016
Like any other retail company you are expected to sale their store credit card, and a certain amount of them per month. For your employee review you must reach daily and monthly goals in total sales, emails, store credit, et cetera. Per usual it's never the fellow associates that are the stressors of the job. The structural system in place at the time was very convoluted and one would become helpless with no guidance from managers and such. In my experience I was thrown like a new born baby into water and had to learn by trail and error. No formal training was received and the majority of the time I had no one to refer to in regards to system malfunctions and client queries.
All employees came to have a certain hesitance about them when dealing with scheduling and the managerial aspect of the job. I had to uptake the manger aspect of the department of whichever area I had been moved to without any guidance as to what was expected, oftentimes by myself to the entire area.
In respect to my co-workers what is to be said, people are people and anywhere you look you'll find a little of everything. It is always best to observe and not get involved. Although will it or not, my first manager lost their cool quite a few times whilst I was in the blast zone, and many poor unsuspecting clients were granted a show. Many a time people, significant amount of them in "higher up," positions behaved as they wished with no regards to decorum or impartiality.
In regards to the difficulty of the job, truthfully there are not any. What you are expected to carry out is feasible and simple,
  more... the complexities come in with people and your immediate chain of command.

TL;DR
Simple job, made slightly complicated by lack of training and petty people who can't differentiate between work and personal.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No training or guidance.
not right for me
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 30, 2016
not much to say about the company it just wasn't the right fit for me. but it was cool while I was working there. but I would recommend someone to try out for themselves.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJanuary 25, 2016
I love my job and helping customers find what they are looking for or even helping put together a outfit! Most of the management team is awesome! There is only one person that isnt! I just wish we got paid more and didn't have so many coupons that are confusing. Customers get upset when they can't use them! All in all its a great place to work!
Pros
Funish food for employees for free or low cost, sometimes
Cons
The pay, we work really hard!
fun and fast paced
Lancôme Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 24, 2016
Helped assist beauty advisers and trained others to learn techniques to help them become successful. I learned there are a lot of different ways to manage people. Co-workers were great to work with. Went to a lot of training events all over Iowa.
Pros
Lancome seminars
Cons
no breaks and not a lot of training
Sales Representative
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIDecember 26, 2015
The typical day at Younker's would be me coming in at the beginning of the shift counting my draw, I was the sales represenative for petities, intamates, and kids. I would check out guest and at the end of the shift if I were closing I would count down the draw then clean out the fitting rooms, and rearrange clothing on racks for next day sale.
Good Place For a First Job
Sales Associate/ Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 18, 2015
I started out with younkers being my first job right when I turned 16. The pay was low (minimum wage) but it didn't matter since I didn't have any bills. I worked there for three years, however, and wanted to advance to higher than a Sales Associate. This is hardly ever granted with this company. Overall, it gave me good experience for my first job. It just isn't the job for someone who wants to advance with a company and for someone who needs to make a living.

There was also extremely rude customers on a daily basis due to the difficulty of the coupons.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Long Breaks Depending on Hours Worked
Cons
No way of moving up, low pay, rude customers, crazy late or early shifts