Younkers Employee Reviews

Fairly productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bay City, MIMay 16, 2017
Continually recovering inventory due to messy customers. Majority of the customers expected a lot more out of the store even when very unnecessary. Also, sstore coupons are easily misunderstood by customers.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
Management staff
Stressful and Poor Training
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grandville, MIMay 11, 2017
When I started at Yonkers, I was thrown out onto the sales floor with little training. I got hardly any hours,and the managers always gave attitude when you needed assistance or time off. I especially don't recommend to high school students. They are not flexible or willing to work around a busy schedule whatsoever.
Pros
Nice break room, employee discount
Cons
Short breaks, poor training, rude management
Couldn't Have Left Soon Enough!!!
SS- (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIMay 7, 2017
This company is an absolute awful place to work. No training (except some time on a computer), outrageous expectations, low pay and extreme favoritism. Don't upset 'The favorite', or your life will be miserable. I'm so...glad I quit and ran. P.S. You can NEVER make the customers happy. They want everything for free. So much happier where I am now and making more money!!!!
Pros
Certain co-workers
Cons
Know-It-All, Rude Associates
toxic
Cash Office Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNApril 18, 2017
low morale and chaos. though the core team will get the job done it is stressful and understaffed. we feel we have no voice and are all underpaid for what is expected of us.
Pay and advancement.
BEAUTY CONSULTANT FOR LANCOME COSMETICS (Former Employee) –  Greenfield, WIApril 17, 2017
Enjoyed selling the LancĂ´me cosmetic line and helping clients choose their skin care line and make up colors. Learned how to deal with all types of clients from young to old.
Pros
Recieved gratis throughout the year and made alot of friendships.
Cons
Sometimes having to meet the weekly and monthly goals.
basic retail
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIApril 17, 2017
Not my favorite job. Snooty co-workers, bad managers, and little to no communication. I liked the work (if there was something to do). There is a certain demographic there that just isn't for me
Good place to work, some stress between co-workers
Associate (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAApril 8, 2017
Overall, Younkers is a good place to work, some of the people at Younkers has their own "turf" and could be hard to fit in, The store overall is good and is a caring place to work, I would again part time if given the chance.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plover, WIApril 2, 2017
I worked at Younkers during high school and it is a perfect job for a high school or college student looking to make some extra money. Managers and co-workers and friendly and easy to work with.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Scheduling can be difficult
fun place to work at
Recieving Associate (Former Employee) –  Bay City, MIApril 2, 2017
younkers was a fun place for me to work at. i worked in the receiving dock and the only problem i had was not being able to know the schedule. other than that i enjoyed younkers.
Pros
easy work
Cons
bad scheduling
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Midland, MI 48642March 20, 2017
It was a good place to work, my co-workers where nice and helpful. There was always something to do. When you are not helping costumers you are cleaning and organizing the department.
Pros
easy place to work
Cons
hours are not always that great.

Want to know more about Younkers?

Ask a question
Bright and pleasant, the customers always got the hottest deals at Younkers
Shoe Expert (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMarch 14, 2017
I was hired for the holiday season, it was very busy but the staff and management was able to run the ship smoothly. Competitive pay, flexible hours. BON TON!
Pros
Discount
Cons
I did not shop at Younkers
Terrible place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMarch 10, 2017
Although a few of the managers are nice most think they are better than you and look down on you. Most people will give up on trying after a couple weeks. They expect way to much out of everyone and keep scheduling less and less people. Most people hate their job.
Pros
a decent discount
Cons
most of the job
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAMarch 7, 2017
A typical day at work would include opening registers, engaging with clients, selling, and opening up credits. I learned a lot about retail they provided excellent training. Most enjoyable part was the co workers and team work we had going. The hardest part of the job was not being busy at certain times at night but then I was able to clean, fold, and make sure the store was nice.
Pros
fun environment with great people
Cons
credit school when you dont make goals
Wonderful
Retail (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 5, 2017
Working at Younkers was my first time working at a retail store. I enjoyed every bit of it because I loved working with shoes. the customer weren't always the nicest but I dealt with them as I was told. The work environment was really good and managers were all nice to me.
Pros
price on shoes for employes
A good place to work in an environment that was constantly changing.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAFebruary 28, 2017
It was a pretty fun place to work. I enjoyed the constant flow of new people coming in from the mall. Most of the people there have been long term employees. It can be a lot of fun, but you must be able to multitask.
enjoyed the work but the store manager caused stress and unpleasantness
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 28, 2017
I enjoyed working at younkers for the most part. My direct supervisor was amazing because she set clear expectations and treated me with respect. I enjoyed helping customers, and I believe that I was able to gain a lot of useful transferable skills from this job. Although I had a positive experience with my coworkers, direct managers and customers, the store manager made it difficult to thrive. They created an on-edge type of environment that made the job unenjoyable.
Fast Paced
Shoes Associate (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIFebruary 18, 2017
Working there was almost always fast paced and non stop customers. However the workers there are very "click" oriented and care mostly about commission.
Rude coworkers and management.
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Marinette, WIJanuary 27, 2017
I worked on the dock unloading merchandise from trucks every morning. The other employees who worked the sales floor treated me like a monkey. Would not suggest it if such a thing gets to you.

Management was strongly disliked by almost all employees.
Fun workplace but a lot of work!
Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJanuary 25, 2017
It is a great job if you're a student because they were very flexible with their scheduling with me. The only negative thing would be the store I worked at was VERY understaffed. It was usually 2 girls on the whole woman's floor but it was a lot to keep up on when there was 4 wrap stands. A usual day would be assisting costumers, cashing them out, putting clothes in the right spot, cleaning the dressing rooms every 30 minutes, and doing returns/damages. Everyone one I worked with was amazing and the managers were understanding!
Do not work here
Dock (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 24, 2017
HR says to come to them with anything, but when you do they don't back it or you up! It does not matter if you are disabled, not compassion here!
Pros
employee discount
Cons
HR not listening, difficult supervisors with their own agenda

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Younkers. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9