Younkers Employee Reviews in United States

the most enjoyable part of my job
Estee Lauder Make-up Artist/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIOctober 19, 2015
I would have to say what i loved the most about working at Younkers at the Estee Lauder counter was doing what I loved to do and seeing the smiles on peoples faces when you teach them how to do a make up trick they have been trying to learn forever. Being a make up artist is just like being a hair styliest you are that one person they can talk to about what is going on in their lives and you are not going to judge them. You can give the costumers something they might not be able to get somewhere else like at home, school or even at work. Making people feel great about them selves while looking great at the same time is something I love to do and I am glad that I found my passion while working here.
Younkers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marinette, WIOctober 15, 2015
Younkers was a very easy job and I loved my coworkers. There was not a lot of available career opportunities within the company. The management was very dramatic and overall at times very difficult to work with.
enjoyable place with great managment
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 8, 2015
was always doing something, and always felt important. with a chance for advancement and great co-workers. could always ask questions and never feel bad about yourself, very flexible.
cosmetic counters
counter manager (Former Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIOctober 6, 2015
I worked as a counter manager.The products sold at all the counter's meet the customer's needs.Daily make-over's add to the experience. Gift with pirchas is 3 times a year.
Pros
free product as an associae or coumter manager. Gratis.
Cons
My events to do. Very busy.
Beyond Poor
Lead of Merchandise and Sales Support Team (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WISeptember 27, 2015
I will not do a review for this company which is being quite generous considering. If you can't find anything good to say don't say anything at all.
Not a good corporate store to work for.
Selling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WISeptember 23, 2015
Worked with great Co-workers and did thoroughly enjoy my job at times. Corporate is not a good company to work for though. They never communicate like they should and there is not good job security.
Great starter job for retailing
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 10, 2015
Great place to work when you are starting out in retail, easy job to get use to helping customers setting signs up every once in awhile I learned great customer skills, Management was okay there are some up and downs but still good, Hardest part about the job is keeping busy when the store is not busy, most enjoyable part about my job is helping customer find things that they are looking for and see the smile on their face when they buy it.
Pros
Co-workers, customers
Cons
Management, scheduleing, communication
younkers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  marinette, wiSeptember 2, 2015
tense work environement, manager unkind... I really enjoy selling products and relating to customers. i am a hard worker and do the best of my ability with any task given
Pros
customers and working with fun people
Cons
manager
good experience in customer service.
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MichiganAugust 28, 2015
Interesting work with supportive management and good colleagues, communications and helping customers with their needs is major and pleasure job .The most enjoyable was to get experience in Sale Associate position and cashier .
Fast-paced, goal driven environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAAugust 20, 2015
Enjoyable workplace, management not reliable. My coworkers make my job worth it. Challenging environment, which I enjoy.
Younkers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Burlington, IAAugust 19, 2015
The things I had learned while at Younkers was how to work with people. Working on th tip of my toes was also involved in my time of day. I was always dealing with new things and new people everyday.
Pros
The people there are so kind.
Cons
Younkers did not work with my schedule and I did not get enough hours
Exciting and energetic environment
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Marinette, WiAugust 18, 2015
A typical day at work was very enjoyable. I loved working with customers, especially the regulars. I learned how to communicate well with any type of individual. I valued being a hard worker and giving a hundred percent to whatever I did. I took pride in my work, and really enjoyed it.
Pros
Getting to know many people.
Cons
It was a very random schedule, and they often made changes to the schedule without notifing the employees.
Loved working at Younkers!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJuly 31, 2015
Fabulous place to work. Great hours, great people, great customers.
The work wasn't hard, but it kept you busy. The managers were great, and they were very understanding. Co-workers were friendly, and made work fun.
Pros
Longer break time, nice company to work for.
Retail store -
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJuly 28, 2015
Retail sales clerk in large department store.
Greeted customers and helped them with their purchases.
Ran and balanced cash registered at the end of my shift.
Always friendly and courteous with customers
Pros
Employee discount
Women
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJuly 22, 2015
Worked in the Womens', accessory, jewelry, coach and seasonal departments though my main department was Women's. I cleaned fitting rooms, assisted customers by retrieving different sizes, helping accessorize, offer discounts educate about the stores other aliases to encourage out of state sales.Open and close registers, counting the money to make sure cash and change is accurate for daily sales. It was stressful most days there was one or two people to cover my half of the downstairs departments. I loved that we had gift wrapping available.
Not a good place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJuly 18, 2015
A typical day was opening up the registers and working roughly 8 hour shifts. Multiple times I had half of the downstairs portion of the store to myself which is a job meant for minimum of 2 people. The management there was touch and go. Some of the managers were very understanding and were always there to help you out while others did not seem to care about you at all. I was treated very poorly there, working almost 10 to 11 hour days on a 8 hour scheduled day. They never showed me gratitude for the work I did. I also was there for a year and a half and never received a raise once nor was I ever reviewed. Personally, I would never recommend this job to someone unless they wanted a temporary job, lasting no longer than 3 months.
Pros
Coworkers were great, 45 minute lunches
Cons
Either not enough hours or more than wanted, Unappreciative, Taken for granted
Nice Place
Loss Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 15, 2015
I liked the people I just didnt like the working long hours on holidays and weekends away from home. Low pay as well. I liked learning about the loss prevention side of Retail.
Better Than it Used to be, Still Pretty Bad
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILJuly 14, 2015
A typical day at work as a sales associate will include: being whined at about coupon exclusions by customers who are too lazy to read (this sounds mean but literally all we do is take the coupon and read it to them around 20+ times a day) and ringing up items. It may also include: walking around and tidying up the department, possibly putting out stock from the back rooms, covering breaks in other departments, cleaning fitting rooms, and closing/opening registers.

I learned a great deal of patience at this job, both with other staff members and with customers. Management changes pretty often and the managers are frankly hit or miss. Some are wonderful and really want the best for the store and customer, others want to do as little as possible and make sales associates do everything. Speaking of which, sales associates are also very hit or miss. Turnover rate at this location is incredibly high and a lot of new hires are either badly trained, or they don't care at all about the job and make more work for everyone else. There's a fair amount of workplace drama, rumors, etc., but I can only speak for this location and not the company overall.

The hardest part is honestly dealing with people, both coworkers and customers. Coworkers can be a hassle, depending who you work with, and customers will either be wonderful or horrible, there seems to be no in-between. The other hardest part is receiving very little pay for a great deal of work. I worked at a different retail store for less than a year (where I didn't have to do markdowns or put out stock) and received over twice
  more... the raise that I've received at this store in a much longer time.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the friendships I've garnered with some people working there, as well as the knowledge that someday I'll be able to look back on this job from a better one and say "wow, I survived that."
Pros
some good people, VERY flexible with hours, very easy job
Cons
shortstaffed, coupons are always an issue, some employees
One of the best places that I've worked
Assistant Sales Manager: Cosmetics/Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 9, 2015
The company has great benefits for benefit qualified employees. I fully believe that hard work is recognized and the opportunity to advance is available if an associate proves themselves.

Co-workers are very friendly and the managers are there to help and coach all of the associates in whatever way possible.
Pros
Flexible hours, opportunity to advance
Cons
Work on Thanksgiving night.
Good after school job
Shoe Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJune 30, 2015
This place is great with scheduling. One of the best places to work while going to school. The management is understanding and the employees are easy to get along with.