Younkers Employee Reviews

Positive work environment.
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 13, 2016
Positive work environment with opportunities for career advancement in the retail clothing industry. Fast paced with quality retail goods and a diverse culture.
Younkers Shoe Department
Part-time Shoe Associate (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIOctober 24, 2016
Providing the best possible customer service possible. The ability to move products in store, and even ordering them when not available.
Constant up keeping a whole department, while providing customer service. Dealing with chaotic situations, while continuing to keep a smile on my face. Training other associates to multitask while keeping customer service in mind. Keeping the area clean, while constantly bringing the customer products.
Pros
The employee discount
Cons
Understaffed
Temporary Employment
Holiday Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 22, 2016
Not there long enough to give a review of the company. I enjoyed the people I worked with. It was a very stressful job in keeping up with the pace. I believe expectations were too high to achieve with limited staffing.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Closing the department alone
Very good staff and great workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, MNSeptember 20, 2016
Loved working here it was a great experience for my first retail job I highly recommend you check them out
They also do a lot of good stuff for the community
Terrible place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MISeptember 16, 2016
Management was terrible. Not sure about the other locations but jackson Michigan Younkers was a cesspool of terrible management and terrible coworkers. Managers will smile in your face and critique you behind your back. One word for this store is TERRIBLE.
Pros
Zero.
Cons
The least said the better to be honest. Awful.
Younkers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 13, 2016
Fun and fast-paced place to work. There are always events going on with the company such as coupons or sales. A typical work day is 8 hours with a decent lunch, and the best part of my job is customer interaction. The hardest part about my job is working such crazy hours during holidays and throughout the regular work week.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIAugust 23, 2016
Do not work there they treated me terribly! I hated it there. I will never go back to work for them again. The management sucks and I was treated horribly by new employees with no help from others.
Sucky
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 22, 2016
If you want to make your work life he'll then you should work here theyes were very inconsistent when you would work not à good experience also you should expect to beat screwdriver over some weeks and work zero hours even if you inform them the week before that they mess up your schedule they say theyll fix it but they're to lazy but very strict and set on the guidelines even though they're the biggest hypocrites of them all.
Pros
Cons
No breaks at all
Productive and fast pace work enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIAugust 16, 2016
Younkers is a fun, fast pace work environment. A topical day for me begins at 7am. When I first arrive at work I normally set the new sale that is going on, merchandise the new products that are entering the store, and work with management/co-workers to complete daily orders. I enjoy working with others all day long. A major positive to my Younkers is working with the costumers! Working with others and helping make them as happy as they can be is a huge personal goal of mine.
Great coworkers and wonderful Management team
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Plover, WIAugust 16, 2016
Management at Younkers is great. They care about their employees and make the work environment as stress free as possible. My co-workers were so helpful. Coming in as a new employee everyone was patient when I was learning the ropes. Being around great coworkers was the best part of the job. They really defined team work at it's core. Everyone did their fair share of work and always helped those that were behind on projects that weren't finished yet when needed. The hardest part of the job was learning how to operate the cash register because it was set up like a computer and there are a lot of things you had to learn in order to do certain tasks because the register didn't do everything for you.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Short hours
Great Learning Experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Holland, MIJuly 12, 2016
Younkers is my very first working experience and it overall has been really great. I absolutely love my co-workers due to the fact that they are so nice and generous. Management is overall very nice, friendly, and helpful. It can be very uneventful during the weekdays due to the fact that it isnt very busy, but the weekends and holidays are always busy. Most of the customers are great, but like any store, you will have your rude and unappreciative ones. A major flaw with the job is the push for credit cards. Each shift you are required to get someone to sign up for a younkers card, but considering some shifts (min 4-5 hours) I dont even make 10 transactions, it can get very annoying and difficult. Termination is a possibility if you go a long time without getting a credit. Pay is decent if you are a student/part time associate. I would definitely recommend this job, especially if you are just introducing yourself to the working world like I was.
Pros
Great Co-workers, associate discount
Cons
Push for credit cards, difficult coupon policies
Talk customers into getting credit cards
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 11, 2016
Some of the people in certain departments are very territorial of their areas. But for the most part most of the employees are very easy to work and you have a good time. Customers get anger over the coupons and you are required to get so many credit card applications enter from customers per day.
Pros
money
Cons
constantly begging customers to apply for credit cards
Retail Job.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 11, 2016
Younker's was an entry level retail position that included the basics of folding merchandise and making sure that no customer had any unanswered questions.
Too few work hours available.
Sales Associate (PT) (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 26, 2016
Pleasant store experience and dedicated and enjoyable management on all levels. Clear what is expected out of every task.
Decent place to work
Clinique Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILJune 8, 2016
Typical day started with morning meetings, learning the stores sale goal for the day, credits each employee was expected to achieve and any issues or concerns of prior day. Once registers were open each, staff member walked their area and straightened up any untidiness and stocked counters with product. Made phone calls to customers that hadn't been in for a while. Greeted every customer that walked through the door and helped them find what they were looking for even if it wasn't in their department or always offered to order it for them and have it delivered to their home. There was always something to do to stay busy during the day before the shift was over.
Pros
compensated well as a cosmetic manager
Cons
Long hours even when the rest of the mall was closed and limited use of coupons
Nice coworkers, bad management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIMay 18, 2016
Fellow employees were very nice but most of the management was very hard to get along with. Some were not professional at all. Managers were always hounding you to get more people signed up for credit cards. Favoritism is a big thing in the Muskegon store.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Constant hounding for new credit card holders.
Unreliable and stressful workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIMay 11, 2016
The employee's are lovely. They are kind and considerate.
It gets really busy around the holiday season and they work you like a dog. Then around January-April you get less than10 hours a week and even if you beg for more, the budget won't allow for you to get more hours. They promise you 20 hours a week as a shorthours associate but they don't tell you at the interview that it's spread out throughout the years. It's 20 hours Averaged a week. So... like I said, they work you hard at certain times and then cut most of your hours in Spring. There are people working there that are happy because they work part time or full time and get crazy good benefits. Short-hours don't get any of that. And it's an incredible challenge to advance in the company.
Pros
Benefits if you advance.
Cons
Stressful sometimes, lack of direction, Hard to advance, few hours
Consists of different tasks you have to do
SALES (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMay 5, 2016
A typical day at younkers would be me coming in the afternoon, doing register and putting returns away. I also when I was done putting things away picked up around my area and refolded things that were messed up. I learned what it was like to follow and clean up after customers. For the most part my co-workers were good and same as management. Hardest part was having to actually find a manager for help and for them to help you through it not just do it. Best part of being able to work in the children's department.
sold clothing
Customer service and sales representative (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIApril 18, 2016
I sold clothing , and helped return stuff and folded ties , and sometimes pants and shirts and belts and slippers among other things
Pros
easy
Cons
slow
Fun place to work. Associates are great to work with.
Sales Associate - Part time (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAApril 16, 2016
This store has gone thru many Management changes since I left so I really don't know what it's like to work there now. When I go there to shop now, the associates seem to be much more relaxed and enjoy their jobs. I think this is a good thing because they will be more productive. The store is very, very dirty with (not enough) old archaic sales props to work with.
Pros
Great Associates
Cons
Previous Management, Store is very dirty.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Younkers. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9