Youth Advocate Program Employee Reviews

Challenging, yet somewhat rewarding
Community Living Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TexasAugust 15, 2017
The position held with Youth Advocate started as an easy and laid back assignment. Due to the fact that we were advocates and were placed with at-risk youths, made it challenging and stressful toward the middle of the assignment. The hardest part of the job was reasoning and trying to keep the youths' attention. I had to constantly remind myself that they were high risk and (some) mentally challenged individuals. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was able to gain experience in the field in which I will be pursuing in the future.
Pros
Education and training
Cons
Mangement, challenging youth
ok part time job
Advocate/TSS (Current Employee) –  York, PAAugust 11, 2017
Let's just say that you don't get a lot of support with this complany. You don't get a call back from management unless you continue to call and pester them. They aren't very organized. It's an ok job to get your foot in the door but that's about it. No raises ever and really no room to advance!
Pros
flexible
Cons
no support or proper training
interesting job
Therapeutic Staff Support (TSS) (Former Employee) –  Peckville, PAAugust 8, 2017
i worked here for the first 3-4 years after college. i loved the job and the people i worked for. the boss was awesome, she would always work with you with anything you needed.
Pros
great people
Cons
pay
Fast paced environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 21, 2017
I wore several hats working with the advocate program. From answering phones, scheduling meetings, coordinating events, billing, supervising, directing clients and families and creating spreadsheets. I learned to never put all my eggs into one basket. The management was poor the higher staff were not hands on and had no idea to run the company when we were short staffed. The culture was mixed however never got along. The hardest part o the job was performing all my duties knowing there was no way I would get a raise and no chance for growth. I enjoyed my experience and by doing multiple tasks I am able to take those tasks and apply them to a better company.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No Raises or promotions
A Learning Opportunity
Mental Health Wraparound Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 16, 2017
This was an opportunity to work with a different population and learn new techniques for counseling and mentoring. I worked more with families instead of individuals. I had a great manager who was always equally interested in the clients we served and the staff.
Pros
Various trainings and new experiences
Cons
Not enough job security
Not a bad place to work
Administrative Manager/Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJJune 14, 2017
I worked there under a crazy director, the regional director was always nice. Its not a bad place to work especially if you want to help give back to the community, and work with troubled kids. The pay isn't too bad and the benefits are great. They don't just have locations in New Jersey but in different states as well. The founder of the company is very nice and will get to know you personally which a lot of companies you only know your manager and they manager.
Very positive
Work program (Former Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJJune 10, 2017
I am very greatful for this program they've helped learn alot about work experience, they are very helpful and very supportive , the supervisors ate very respectable and love helping people
Youth Advocate Reivew
Youth Director (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 24, 2017
This is a good place to work if you have an interest in working with the youth population. It provided a good foundation for my work as a clinical therapist.
Pros
Working with youth
Cons
none noted
Fun days with the youth
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 1, 2017
While working here, I was placed with a youth camp and a typical day consisted of me having to make sure the children were comfortable and having fun. The hardest part is when the children would have confrontations with one another and that was basically everyday. The most enjoyable part was that the youth camp was athletic and I play basketball, so I was able to relate to the children.
n/a
Masters Level Non-Licensed Out Patient Therapy (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaApril 6, 2017
Very good experience working here. Comfortable environment and nice people. Fast paced office environment and I actually enjoyed my time working there.
Productive learning environment
Mentor juvenile delinquents (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMarch 14, 2017
A typical day I will pick up a kid from school, take them to do a urine screen, then we would go to the library to apply for jobs or go actively seek employment. I learned how to deal with different personalities and how to handle different situations. The hardest part about this job was tracking down the kids. But the most enjoyable part is making a difference in a juveniles life.
Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg,WVFebruary 17, 2017
I learned a lot for the 600 hours I was an intern. I was hired on for the second half of my internship and carried my own caseload. Would have remained an employee but management changed and they were not sure if the agency was going to remain open.

I learned a lot of diagnostic skills and therapeutic interventions.
Pros
learned a lot
Cons
disorganized management
Eye opening
Therapeutic Staff Support (Current Employee) –  Chambersburg, PANovember 10, 2016
This job was very eye opening. It truly helps you to understand behavior and the functions of behaviors. However, can be inconsistent hours.I learned a lot about family functions and just how they impact your clients life. Depending on your BSC or MT, you can learn so much about different mental health issues.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Insurance, Inconsistent hours
Better love kids
Behavioral Assistant/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 21, 2016
If you like working with children in the community this is a great place to work but be prepared to have low wages as they are not an organization that rewards great or even good work. You work a schedule that is very flexible and geared around the families availability, often you will need to plan out the day, the time spent, activities, and how much this will cost without assistance form the family or the organization but you are reimbursed somewhat for money spent but not miles driven.
ok
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 19, 2016
it is not a terrible place to work, just no chance to promote and there is not been any raises in 6 years for the support center.
the people I work with are great to be around everyday. it is very laid back.
Yap
Mentor at risk youths (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 10, 2016
Great environment. Ability to learn and grow with youth as positive mentor very rewarding. Helps with learning how to stabilize own life and see what youth needs and what ou have to offer. Helps strengthen weak parts of your own life. You pick up kids from home and take them out to go do things they normally wouldnt get the opportunity to do themselves. Can go to the movies, can go bowling or what ever else you feeel like doing. CO workers are nice and helpful. like to get out and see the changes and opportunities other people can make.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
usually later in the evening
Passionate and attentive advocates
Parent Advocate (Current Employee) –  Canton, NYJune 20, 2016
This job allows one to have a true client's world view. Your day can be unpredictable which requires flexibility.
I teach parents how to work with their children whom have been diagnosed with specific disorders.
I have learned many of the clients I work with lack basic communication, coping and independent living skills that prevents them from having successful relationships with services. A high percentage of my clients have mental health diagnosis's which requires a strong knowledge of diagnosis and CBT practices as well as strong Crisis Intervention skills.
The most enjoyable part of the job is watching people accomplish their goals.
Pros
Hands on work
Cons
no vacations, no sick time
Nice Company
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Kresgeville, PAJune 2, 2016
I really love my job but because it is non profit there is no raises. My boss is the most caring and helpful leader I have ever worked for. I love meeting the clients and watching them respond to treatment and how far they come.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
No raises
Great workplace with excellent co-workers
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 30, 2016
Overall it is very individual work with weekly supervision. The work is very gratifying and amazing but not with the best pay. The management does make up for it.
Great job for introduction into the human service field
Child Advocate (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NYMay 9, 2016
I supervised at-risk youth within the community assisting families in the completions of their goals as part of their treatment and service plans. Developed activities to assist this process. Worked with community outreach programs as well as other networking agencies to assist youth and families be successful.
Pros
Success of clients