Youth Advocate Programs, Inc. Employee Reviews

Helping People
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALDecember 6, 2017
Helping people was great but management did not provide any training. Use of own car for transporting children was not fun. Heavy paperwork. Helping others and the pay were the greatest perks of this job.
Pros
pay
Fun work place, not a lot of room for advancement
DAY TREATMENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, PANovember 15, 2017
Good starting job right out of college. Stressful at times because you work with at risk youth and their families. Work environment is positive with a great team.
Pros
Paid time off, Working with youth and their familes.
Cons
Second shift, No room for advancement
Tss
TSS (Therapeutic Support Staff) (Former Employee) –  Meadville, PANovember 13, 2017
I helped kids and adults acclimate themselves on a day to day basis, If they needed assistance getting dressed or just having a fun day,I would help them out.
High Turnover, Not Many Incentives to Stay
TSS Worker (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAOctober 14, 2017
Not many incentives to work here for more than a year or so. You are not paid if the clients cancel, you can't even claim mileage if they cancel, and clients cancel A LOT. Most annoying was having to attend staff meetings during school hours, as it led to loss of client time and you were paid less for the meeting time. Felt micromanaged a lot by upper management and it was just not worth my time considering my paycheck came up short every week and had no benefits.
Pros
Chance to be positive impact in kid's lives, Learn a lot if your supervisor is knowledgeable
Cons
No benefits, Not paid if client cancels or no-shows
. The Job Corps at my school is a very fun place very interactive and Hands-On I really enjoy it
Volunteers (Current Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 19, 2017
This ROTC Junior Marine Corps programor h
At school is for better placement in the job field that I prefer an to be place in a better college getting work experience is motivating an help guide me to be a productive person.
Pros
Help me get closer to my goals in school
Cons
The working experience
Loved the positive strength based approach
Family Permanency Expediter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 2, 2017
I enjoyed working with YAP for about a year on a pilot project. The director of the project was supportive and knowledgeable and gave me an opportunity to colllaborate on new initiatives in child welfare.
Pros
Positive staff and work environment, great salary
Cons
Temporary position, wished the pilot project was made permanent
Adult and Children Services
Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  MarylandAugust 29, 2017
The program that's offered for disadvantaged children and adults is a good program for those in need. The company has offices all thru US and helps a lot of people.
A good and clean environment and a hockey table
Urban Planner (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2017
A typical day for me is like no other day everyday I'm always ready to work and get into anything that comes my way stay with a positive attitude and do my best.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Good stepping stone for master's level clinicians
Mobile Therapist/Behavioral Specialist Consultant (Current Employee) –  Peckville, PAAugust 7, 2017
Staff seem to be underpaid and there are no benefit packages. Staff receives monthly supervision but it does not follow the guidelines to earn a professional counseling license.
Pros
Make you're own schedule/flexible
Cons
Not adequate pay/no benefits or PTO
Workplace is fun and the goal is obtained
Advocate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 2, 2017
Making sure families understand the program, address youth's criminogenic needs, address educational challenges, and assist families with food and shelter.
Terrible Training, Great Organizational Idea
Advocate (Former Employee) –  Cleburne, TXJuly 13, 2017
YAP's advocate model would be a wonderful and effective idea if proper training was offered. My first day on the job, I met with my direct supervisor for an hour going over paperwork, and then was released to take my client to 6 Flags. I had no idea what to do or what rules and protocols we had. Ongoing, I only received training 2 months after seeing my client. Most of the time, I felt as if I was wasting my and the client's time.
Pros
Advocate model
Cons
No/inadequate training, difficulty getting paid accurately, wear and tear on your car for not enough money.
Great place to work if you enjoy helping individuals with disibilities.
TSS (Current Employee) –  Sharon, PAJuly 4, 2017
A typical work day depends on the individual client(s) you are assigned. YAP has several programs from working with children with ASD and also adults diagnosed with intellectual or behavioral disabilities.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no PTO or incentives
Fast money but you are just a Number
All positions (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJune 21, 2017
Working with kids can be rewarding, but, if you want to pay the bills.... forget it. Even with a 4 year degree I was considered a part -time and replaceable employee. Statements from upper management like "we don't give raises" were disheartening. Front line management/program directors seem to have it worse. Working 40 hours a week, micromanaged, and told to make quotas left otherwise smart and hardworking folks empty and under appreciated. I knew a director in a bordering county that didn't have a raise in the 13 years that she put in while a non-degree male was promoted to upper management. She also had no retirement and had to pay her own healthcare. Higher rates than if she got Obamacare! Long story short... don't waste your time unless you are despirate. PS my paycheck was short almost every week.
Pros
The mission makes sense
Cons
No incentives
Very important to the mental health of youth
Therapeutic Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAJune 18, 2017
I didn't like writing papers on what I did with the children every week and having it corrected and graded. I felt like I was in college all over again and as though I was constantly in an interview.
The staff really cared for the children they serviced.
Behavior Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 11, 2017
A typical day working for the YAP Program consisted of making a visit to the home of the child/adolescent and spending two hours with him/her working on treatment goals which were developed to achieve, maintain and sustain stability for child while in the foster care setting. Sometimes the child was taken out of the home for a portion or all of the session depending on how well child was progressing or if child needed some space to better express themselves. I learned that every child that is separated from their parent/s needs individualized help as they do not all respond the same to being separated or placed in a new home with strangers that play the role of their parent/s. Management was very helpful and ongoing training and weekly supervision was mandatory and vital to the success of the program/team. I enjoyed my peers as they all cared deeply about their role in helping these children during their separation, re-unification or even adoption. The hardest part of the job was seeing children getting adopted due to the parent/s failing to do their part to get their children back. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the children succeed.
Pros
The pros of the job were that we were able to help these children, during a very difficult period in their lives.
Cons
The cons were that we were not always as successful as we would have liked to be.
Poor Management
Advocate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 7, 2017
I worked with the company for two years. My division was under staffed and would do anything to meet "goals" even if it was not actually helping the youth. Local management was not qualify to lead a team nor practice proper management etiquette. Company only took care of upper management but neglect hourly employees. Lack health benefits, sick pay, vacation pay, and 401K for hourly employees.
Pros
Working with at-risk youth.
Cons
No benefts, Poor management
Fun
One Summer Chicago (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 30, 2017
I really enjoyed the time with the programs.Being around our supervisors and co workers made everything so exciting.I learned to be patient and i also learn how to work in a team.
good company it what you make it
Youth Advocate (Current Employee) –  Williamson County, TXMay 22, 2017
This is a good job for starter if you like working with youths. Management will work with you. I loved my supervisor she is so cool. The pay you for your miles but your will drive over at times
Pros
make your hours
Cons
pay is so so
Watch Your Check
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Florence, ALMay 15, 2017
Worked for this company a year and a half. Lots of travel and lots of wear and tear on my vehicle. Mileage reimbursement is a rip off and half the time my check was wrong. I hired on to help troubled youth, in the juvenile justice system, I ended up babysitting for DHR. Never got reimbursement for feeding kids, when I traveled with them. It doesn't matter though, you only get $4 per visit, regardless the size of the family. Work was on and off, so I had to get a second job. I always tried to go the extra mile for them but it wasn't appreciated.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Poor mileage reimbursement
Flexible and fun.
Community Support Specialist/Advocate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 5, 2017
I have been an Advocate almost a year now and moved up to a CLS worker. The management team is very supportive. The clients are excited to be able to do other things with a positive leader in their lives . I really like my job and to see the growth in the youths lives.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Paperwork could be modified.