Youth Advocate Programs, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Not enough compensation
Waiver program (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAApril 25, 2016
I worked for this company for a year until they downgraded everyones pay, oddly enough they just moved into a new building at the same time?!. Starting wage was 12 but everyone was downgraded to 10. Honestly 12 wasnt enough, i was spending more money on gas, insurance, wear and tear on my car and...you have to.spend your personal money on clients until the company reimburses you...ridiculous. I loved my clients but it was a lot of wasted time in between clients and it cost too much money to work there as it was so I quit. There are no raises and there is no room to move up. My supervisor was nice though and understood why I wanted to leave.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Uncompensated time in between clients, not enough pay
Unethical Management
Advocate (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHNovember 10, 2015
Management was unqualified. Worked there 6 years with no raise. Management always said there was no money but they got annual raises. Saw some unethical things going on behind the scenes.
Pros
Loved the job
Cons
Low pay, no raises, wear and tear on my car, management unethical
Productive and friendly workplace
Advocate (Current Employee) –  Camden CountyOctober 8, 2015
Children and staff are great to work with. Many perks and opportunities and resources for the participants. Knowing that at the end of the week you made a child smile.
Pros
Meeat new children that need help
Cons
using your own car, and mileage
Great
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Fulton, NYOctober 5, 2015
A typical day at work for Youth Advocate Programs consisted of maintaining company information data such as travel logs, budget sheets and client progress reports. I gain excellent skills in time management, organizational skills, event planning and research, and writing skills. My co-workers often-times planned events that built lasting friendships between clients. There was nothing hard concerning this job except dealing with inclement weather. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was the impact I had on the life of my client and my ability to be a positive role model.
Great company to work for.
Youth Advocate (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 4, 2015
I absolutely love working for this great efficient and flexible company who really care and help the youth they serve. Will continue to support this company in any way I can to help my youth grow strong and reliable.
Pros
So flexible you never want to apart.
Deceptive Management, Stay Away
Advocate (Former Employee) –  GuntersvilleJuly 27, 2015
It's a job that enables one to have some money while looking for a career or while in school. It should be noted however, if you tell them you're going to school or that you're looking for a career they will get rid of you sneakily. After finishing my job assignment, I was left hanging 3 weeks with no explanation. I contacted management in person who told me nobody was fired or layoff and gave some vague story about low referrals, another words, I still worked there. (Typically you'll be assigned 2-3 youth which you must work around 14-23 hours per week with. You'll average 2 youth a week unless one gets in trouble or sent away then you can cut your pay in half which is a bummer, and it takes about a week to get assigned a youth through referral and intake process.) I was pursuing career making more money elsewhere. Management claimed they were supportive of my decision and said they'd help me get into that career. A few weeks later upon wrapping up my assignment I never heard from Youth Advocate Program again. A few of us were treated this way. Shady Management, but a good way to make some money on the side. Very high stress job for what it pays. You will feel like you worked 40 hours after 14 hour week very mentally draining. Helping kids and changing lives is very rewarding though. I have bumped into parents who thanked me for the good job they said I did, so I know I did a good job. If you're struggling, going to school, or looking to find another job keep it to yourself management will stab you in the back. I thought others deserve to know how I was treated.  more... Just some words of wisdom. Don't expect to make a career of of this job.  less
Pros
They reimburse any gas you use during work!
Cons
Unethical deceptive management. Stay away.
Flexible schedule and fun to serve clients
Youth Advocate (Current Employee) –  York, PAApril 28, 2015
Pick up clients and take them to play basketball, bowling or movies. Some clients needs assistance with school work and others just a big brother or sister to be a positive role model in their lives.
Diverse , pleasant consumers but under qualified director
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, NJMarch 8, 2015
As a therapist, I enjoyed the flexible hours at Yap. I received referrals from outstanding agencies, and very much enjoyed the clients I served.
The office is a hostile workplace. Directors are under qualified cliques who feel threatened by those of us who possess clinical skills. They don't train you but reprimand you when you do not comply w something you weren't aware even existed!
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
poor management, no room for growth
Rewarding and Difficult
Therapeutic Staff Support (Former Employee) –  Sharon, PANovember 4, 2013
Being a TSS can be hard because you have to adapt yourself to each client. No client is the same, nor will they respond to the same interventions. As a TSS you need to be creative in your interventions.
Some of the downfalls are that your day/week depends on the client. If the child is sick, on vacation, or something unexpected comes up and the family cancels, you do not get paid.
It gets discouraging when a client cancels services or would like a different TSS because of personality/cultural differences. Working as a TSS is stressful and rewarding at the same time. The longer you work with the child you get to see their progress. You get to see their improvement and growth because of the work that you do with the child.
Scanner (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 12, 2013
Sorting files and scanning. Standing and sitting required.
Pros
lunchtime!
Cons
too lay back.
Mission driven organization serving children and youth in juvenile justice, child welfare, autism and developmental disability systems
Vice President (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 11, 2013
Enjoyed 10 years of operational management and program development.
Pros
mission driven company
Cons
regional leadership
Rewarding Experience
TSS (Former Employee) –  Franklin/Tri-CountyJanuary 10, 2013
I had the ability to work with YAP in two different programs. While I found that they were culturally diverse the company ran on the same basic morals, values, and beliefs. I found my job to be very rewarding and enjoyed being able to work with children on the spectrum in an influential manner. I also found it rewarding to be able to assist their parents and community members in understanding the behavior the child was displaying and offering interventions on how to make them positive experiences instead of negative ones. Both times that I have to "quit" my job was not an easy transition for me, nor was it an easy decision to make as I truly enjoyed the company and the work that was given to me.
Pros
rewarding experience, full time work, competitive pay, excellent management
Cons
not pto/vacation, benefits were not desireable, occasional aggression
flexible hours, camaraderie is fairly decent among all employees in Lancaster office.
TSS (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJuly 21, 2012
I love this company but have been very disappointed with the pay, no benefits, and the policy on the hours that therapists are allowed to work. The most enjoyable part of this job is the reward in seeing the progress a therapist makes in working with the clients and families. The office management is renewed currently and has been wonderful with a lot of support to all employees in the Lancaster office. The new director is very supportive of all staff.
Pros
rewarding experiences working with clients and families, flexible hours.
Cons
no benefits, no raises, no bonuses, main headquarters does not care about the therapists.

Youth Advocate Programs, Inc. Reviews by Job Title