Youth Advocate Programs, Inc. Employee Reviews

Fast money but you are just a Number
All positions (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJune 21, 2017
Working with kids can be rewarding, but, if you want to pay the bills.... forget it. Even with a 4 year degree I was considered a part -time and replaceable employee. Statements from upper management like "we don't give raises" were disheartening. Front line management/program directors seem to have it worse. Working 40 hours a week, micromanaged, and told to make quotas left otherwise smart and hardworking folks empty and under appreciated. I knew a director in a bordering county that didn't have a raise in the 13 years that she put in while a non-degree male was promoted to upper management. She also had no retirement and had to pay her own healthcare. Higher rates than if she got Obamacare! Long story short... don't waste your time unless you are despirate. PS my paycheck was short almost every week.
Pros
The mission makes sense
Cons
No incentives
Very important to the mental health of youth
Therapeutic Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAJune 18, 2017
I didn't like writing papers on what I did with the children every week and having it corrected and graded. I felt like I was in college all over again and as though I was constantly in an interview.
The staff really cared for the children they serviced.
Behavior Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 11, 2017
A typical day working for the YAP Program consisted of making a visit to the home of the child/adolescent and spending two hours with him/her working on treatment goals which were developed to achieve, maintain and sustain stability for child while in the foster care setting. Sometimes the child was taken out of the home for a portion or all of the session depending on how well child was progressing or if child needed some space to better express themselves. I learned that every child that is separated from their parent/s needs individualized help as they do not all respond the same to being separated or placed in a new home with strangers that play the role of their parent/s. Management was very helpful and ongoing training and weekly supervision was mandatory and vital to the success of the program/team. I enjoyed my peers as they all cared deeply about their role in helping these children during their separation, re-unification or even adoption. The hardest part of the job was seeing children getting adopted due to the parent/s failing to do their part to get their children back. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the children succeed.
Pros
The pros of the job were that we were able to help these children, during a very difficult period in their lives.
Cons
The cons were that we were not always as successful as we would have liked to be.
Poor Management
Advocate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 7, 2017
I worked with the company for two years. My division was under staffed and would do anything to meet "goals" even if it was not actually helping the youth. Local management was not qualify to lead a team nor practice proper management etiquette. Company only took care of upper management but neglect hourly employees. Lack health benefits, sick pay, vacation pay, and 401K for hourly employees.
Pros
Working with at-risk youth.
Cons
No benefts, Poor management
Fun
One Summer Chicago (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 30, 2017
I really enjoyed the time with the programs.Being around our supervisors and co workers made everything so exciting.I learned to be patient and i also learn how to work in a team.
good company it what you make it
Youth Advocate (Current Employee) –  Williamson County, TXMay 22, 2017
This is a good job for starter if you like working with youths. Management will work with you. I loved my supervisor she is so cool. The pay you for your miles but your will drive over at times
Pros
make your hours
Cons
pay is so so
Watch Your Check
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Florence, ALMay 15, 2017
Worked for this company a year and a half. Lots of travel and lots of wear and tear on my vehicle. Mileage reimbursement is a rip off and half the time my check was wrong. I hired on to help troubled youth, in the juvenile justice system, I ended up babysitting for DHR. Never got reimbursement for feeding kids, when I traveled with them. It doesn't matter though, you only get $4 per visit, regardless the size of the family. Work was on and off, so I had to get a second job. I always tried to go the extra mile for them but it wasn't appreciated.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Poor mileage reimbursement
Flexible and fun.
Community Support Specialist/Advocate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 5, 2017
I have been an Advocate almost a year now and moved up to a CLS worker. The management team is very supportive. The clients are excited to be able to do other things with a positive leader in their lives . I really like my job and to see the growth in the youths lives.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Paperwork could be modified.
Great Start
Advocate (Current Employee) –  North Providence, RIFebruary 25, 2017
It's really sounds like a great opportunity to be able to help youth and their families with anything they need to succeed! Management seems to be great and organization seems like they are here for the kids! Great pay and a growing company! If your in the business to make big time bucks then your in the wrong field but if your in it to change a person's life then this would be the place to be!
Ken S
Pros
Opportunity to help out others
Cons
No enough hours
Good for part time
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 21, 2017
The hours a week depend on the client load a Advocate has. Activates are structured around clients needs and are usually coordinated by Advocate. Adapting to different cultures was one of the most useful skills I acquired. Workplace culture varies, most of an Advocates time is with clients and families. The main office consist of about 2-3 people at a time, either the director, assistant or administrative assistant. One of the most difficult things is to not allow yourself to become personally involved with some families. Overall the entire job is enjoyable.
Pros
Flexible, diverse, interactive, automonmy, getting involved
Cons
hours and pay
Extremely negative environment
BSC/MT (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAFebruary 9, 2017
Flexible working schedule. Poor management/staff interaction. Poor support, lack of professionalism. This has got to be the worst set of management I have ever work with. Most of the admin are ok... a few are a little strange... the staff team are ok but mostly negative and unhappy with there jobs.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Everything else. Poor modeling, no mentoring, poor work enviroment.
Disorganized Management, Little regard for employees
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 21, 2016
This is a very chaotic organization. It also does not actually follow its so called core principles. There are almost no benefits to employees.
Ok job if you're in school; not a place for a career
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 19, 2016
Low pay, no advancement opportunities, no one really knows what they're doing and other agencies can see that, no accountability at all
Not enough compensation
Waiver program (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAApril 25, 2016
I worked for this company for a year until they downgraded everyones pay, oddly enough they just moved into a new building at the same time?!. Starting wage was 12 but everyone was downgraded to 10. Honestly 12 wasnt enough, i was spending more money on gas, insurance, wear and tear on my car and...you have to.spend your personal money on clients until the company reimburses you...ridiculous. I loved my clients but it was a lot of wasted time in between clients and it cost too much money to work there as it was so I quit. There are no raises and there is no room to move up. My supervisor was nice though and understood why I wanted to leave.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Uncompensated time in between clients, not enough pay
Unethical Management
Advocate (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHNovember 10, 2015
Management was unqualified. Worked there 6 years with no raise. Management always said there was no money but they got annual raises. Saw some unethical things going on behind the scenes.
Pros
Loved the job
Cons
Low pay, no raises, wear and tear on my car, management unethical
Productive and friendly workplace
Advocate (Current Employee) –  Camden CountyOctober 8, 2015
Children and staff are great to work with. Many perks and opportunities and resources for the participants. Knowing that at the end of the week you made a child smile.
Pros
Meeat new children that need help
Cons
using your own car, and mileage
Great
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Fulton, NYOctober 5, 2015
A typical day at work for Youth Advocate Programs consisted of maintaining company information data such as travel logs, budget sheets and client progress reports. I gain excellent skills in time management, organizational skills, event planning and research, and writing skills. My co-workers often-times planned events that built lasting friendships between clients. There was nothing hard concerning this job except dealing with inclement weather. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was the impact I had on the life of my client and my ability to be a positive role model.
Great company to work for.
Youth Advocate (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 4, 2015
I absolutely love working for this great efficient and flexible company who really care and help the youth they serve. Will continue to support this company in any way I can to help my youth grow strong and reliable.
Pros
So flexible you never want to apart.
Deceptive Management, Stay Away
Advocate (Former Employee) –  GuntersvilleJuly 27, 2015
It's a job that enables one to have some money while looking for a career or while in school. It should be noted however, if you tell them you're going to school or that you're looking for a career they will get rid of you sneakily. After finishing my job assignment, I was left hanging 3 weeks with no explanation. I contacted management in person who told me nobody was fired or layoff and gave some vague story about low referrals, another words, I still worked there. (Typically you'll be assigned 2-3 youth which you must work around 14-23 hours per week with. You'll average 2 youth a week unless one gets in trouble or sent away then you can cut your pay in half which is a bummer, and it takes about a week to get assigned a youth through referral and intake process.) I was pursuing career making more money elsewhere. Management claimed they were supportive of my decision and said they'd help me get into that career. A few weeks later upon wrapping up my assignment I never heard from Youth Advocate Program again. A few of us were treated this way. Shady Management, but a good way to make some money on the side. Very high stress job for what it pays. You will feel like you worked 40 hours after 14 hour week very mentally draining. Helping kids and changing lives is very rewarding though. I have bumped into parents who thanked me for the good job they said I did, so I know I did a good job. If you're struggling, going to school, or looking to find another job keep it to yourself management will stab you in the back. I thought others deserve to know how I was treated.  more... Just some words of wisdom. Don't expect to make a career of of this job.  less
Pros
They reimburse any gas you use during work!
Cons
Unethical deceptive management. Stay away.
Flexible schedule and fun to serve clients
Youth Advocate (Current Employee) –  York, PAApril 28, 2015
Pick up clients and take them to play basketball, bowling or movies. Some clients needs assistance with school work and others just a big brother or sister to be a positive role model in their lives.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Youth Advocate Programs, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6