Youth Advocate Programs Employee Reviews

Infrastructure
Infrastructure (Former Employee) –  1111 E 87th St #200, Chicago,IL 60619November 3, 2016
A typical day at work are very occupied.I can say I've learned a lot such as patience and team work.My manger was very understandable.The hardest part about the job was my co-workers attitudes towards me but I did pay it attention I kept working.I enjoyed working at youth advocate program.
Rewarding place to work
Mobile Therapist (Current Employee) –  Peckville, PAOctober 11, 2016
YAP is a fun and rewarding place to work. It is very flexible for individuals who have children and families. The staff is very helpful and supportive.
Felxible and sometimes unexpected workplace with great management and staff
Youth Advocate (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 1, 2016
Work weeks are usually extremely flexible the hours available per client range and also depends on the budget available. Work varies on the clients individual service plans and are revolved around what client's needs are. Learning how to work with culturally diverse families, communicate efficiently in order to achieve client success and satisfaction. One of the most difficult task is completing work hours with a non-compliant client. Most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know clients and their families on a personal level.
Pros
Flexibility, building personal relationships, autonomy
Cons
possible non-compliance, possible cut in hours, may not have clients available
productive and pleasant place to work
Adminstrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia SCAugust 5, 2016
Answered multi line phones, forwarding calls to appropriate persons.Communicating effectively with customer and staff
Good judgment, problem solving and decision making
Maintained files. How many time you can be apart of change if you work for it. It was a pleasure working with my co-workers the hardest part of the job was denying service to a family in need helping families meet their goals
Pros
The job was about helping children and their familys
Cons
Heallth care benfits
Productive and fast paced work place
Intern (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 25, 2016
A typical day at my internship involves monitoring several parents of our clientele. The monitoring is to make sure that the advocates are doing their job with respect to advocating, teaching mentoring and instilling greatness with the at- risk youth.

I am responsible for front desk responsibilities such as answering phones, greeting incoming guest and providing individuals with helpful resources within the community.

I create entry surveys for clients who begin the program and I create exit surveys for discharged clients. At times I shadow directors and advocates while they are out in the field with respect to in the home counseling and courtroom appearances.

I have learned that it is beneficial to work as a team with coworkers. Management is learned over time and my co-workers are the individuals that I need to make a lasting impression with besides my employer. The hardest part is not being able to help everyone in need however, doing the best that you can is beneficial. The most enjoyable part is being able to make courtroom appearances because that is where my biggest passion lies.
Great place to work if you enjoy working with kids
Advocate (Current Employee) –  kingFebruary 8, 2016
Each case is different and although some clients may be hard to deal with the overall enjoyment of helping kids is great. The management team is great in finding clients that fit your comfort and skill set. The variety of kids is great from a great age range group. You basically set the time you see your clients.
Pros
Helping kids
Cons
Not full-time
good place
tss (Current Employee) –  Peckville, PAJanuary 4, 2016
great place to work for, well designed and helpful. great and friendly staff. organized. staff is friendly and well organized.
Chaotic workplace with minimal support
Behavior Specialist Consultant (Current Employee) –  York, PASeptember 3, 2015
There is a lack of cohesion amongst employees as well as a lack of communication amongst supervisors and subordinates.
Relaxed environment - not much room to move up
Support (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 29, 2015
This is a very relaxed and friendly environment with management that really cares about the employees. However, this being a non-profit organization means that there aren't a lot of opportunities to move up in your position or receive a pay raise.
Days can be slow or they can be packed - that's just the way it is with assistance and technical support.
The managers and your superiors will ensure that you have training on the job and are always happy to answer any questions you may have and help you when you need it.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the sense of family and support that you have. The hardest part of the job is the days where it seems like you're never going to get anywhere. It's pretty much the same thing day after day.
You learn a lot if you're willing. What you learn depends on your department.
Pros
Very flexible scheduling
Cons
No 'vacation' or 'sick' days, it's all through Paid Time Off- you get 12.5 hours a month.
Case Manager
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 14, 2015
I worked with YAP briefly as a contracted case manager for the Dept. of Family and Protective Services. I worked 15-20 hours as a Family Based Safety Services worker. This meant visiting families in their homes to reduce the risk of removal of children. I loved this job, but needed fulltime work. I was hired by DFPS only a few short months after accepting this job.

I don't have any complaints about YAP.
Pros
Flexibility, supportive supervisor, worked from home, with mileage compensation.
Cons
Had to provide most of my own office supplies, no benefits, low compensation.
nice and fun place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 18, 2015
I loved this job. So far the best place I have worked at. The people in the office are very friendly and funny. They help each other out and are always there when you need them.
Pros
I got to chose how long my break was
good people, just high quanity of work
Therapeutic Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAApril 8, 2015
I learned a lot about working with children with autism and behavioral issues. I love the people I work with, however, I have a lot of hours and inconsistent hours.
Review Summary
Advocate/Case Manager/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 8, 2015
Excellent environment for youth development skills. Thee various programs do outreach into the undeserved communities. There are many opportunities to contribute to society.
Pros
Ability to connect with others.
Cons
Late night interaction with families.
Supportive and fun environment
TSS (Former Employee) –  Peckville, PAFebruary 25, 2015
While working with children with disabilities and being spread otu in different schools and environments, the amount of support was unwaivering. When immediate supervisors did not have answers or resources, upper management did.
Pros
fun staff meetings, encouragement to advance
Cons
no vacation, personal or holiday pay.
great work-life balance
Billing Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAFebruary 3, 2015
a good place to work but no opportunity for advancement and the pay isn't worth the amount of work that you do...In most cases the employees know more than the supervisors
Prodctive Work Pace
Therapeutic Staff Support (TSS) (Current Employee) –  Sharon, PAJanuary 10, 2015
Steady work-place
I've learned the difference between autism and the different levels of behaviors while working with different clients.
Guiding client to help them, help themselves.
Co- workers are easily communicated to
Co-workers have unique personalities
Problems are addressed right away without hesitation, when there are concerns and issues. Whether it's with a client, client's family, and/or staff.
Great staff with positive workplace environment.
Electronic Monitoring Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJNovember 18, 2014
Job consists of monitoring youth in the program and coordinating with mentoring staff. Attending regular court visits as court liaison for program. Acquired important skills required in handling a busy, professional work atmosphere coupled with direct clinical experience working with high-risk youth through facilitating multiple weekly group therapy sessions and home visits. Hardest part of the job is dealing with closed-minded youth and the best part is breaking through to them.
Pros
Positive staff and amazing organization.
Great company to work for and good work enviroment
TSS (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 3, 2014
I have worked with Youth Advocate for over a year and enjoyed working with children with disabilities and special needs. I feel like everyday I am making a difference in children's lives.
Pros
Very Flexible schedules and choosing your type of work
Cons
No compensation for days off, no room for advancement
nothing
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 10, 2014
I have nothing to say. It was a great company for kids. Great co workers.
Pros
great patients
Cons
can do better
Great people to work with which make it enjoyable
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 9, 2014
I really enjoy helping youth to become productive members of society .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Youth Advocate Programs. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9