Youth Advocate Programs Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work if you enjoy working with kids
Advocate (Current Employee) –  kingFebruary 8, 2016
Each case is different and although some clients may be hard to deal with the overall enjoyment of helping kids is great. The management team is great in finding clients that fit your comfort and skill set. The variety of kids is great from a great age range group. You basically set the time you see your clients.
Pros
Helping kids
Cons
Not full-time
good place
tss (Current Employee) –  Peckville, PAJanuary 4, 2016
great place to work for, well designed and helpful. great and friendly staff. organized. staff is friendly and well organized.
Chaotic workplace with minimal support
Behavior Specialist Consultant (Current Employee) –  York, PASeptember 3, 2015
There is a lack of cohesion amongst employees as well as a lack of communication amongst supervisors and subordinates.
Relaxed environment - not much room to move up
Support (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 29, 2015
This is a very relaxed and friendly environment with management that really cares about the employees. However, this being a non-profit organization means that there aren't a lot of opportunities to move up in your position or receive a pay raise.
Days can be slow or they can be packed - that's just the way it is with assistance and technical support.
The managers and your superiors will ensure that you have training on the job and are always happy to answer any questions you may have and help you when you need it.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the sense of family and support that you have. The hardest part of the job is the days where it seems like you're never going to get anywhere. It's pretty much the same thing day after day.
You learn a lot if you're willing. What you learn depends on your department.
Pros
Very flexible scheduling
Cons
No 'vacation' or 'sick' days, it's all through Paid Time Off- you get 12.5 hours a month.
Case Manager
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 14, 2015
I worked with YAP briefly as a contracted case manager for the Dept. of Family and Protective Services. I worked 15-20 hours as a Family Based Safety Services worker. This meant visiting families in their homes to reduce the risk of removal of children. I loved this job, but needed fulltime work. I was hired by DFPS only a few short months after accepting this job.

I don't have any complaints about YAP.
Pros
Flexibility, supportive supervisor, worked from home, with mileage compensation.
Cons
Had to provide most of my own office supplies, no benefits, low compensation.
nice and fun place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 18, 2015
I loved this job. So far the best place I have worked at. The people in the office are very friendly and funny. They help each other out and are always there when you need them.
Pros
I got to chose how long my break was
good people, just high quanity of work
Therapeutic Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAApril 8, 2015
I learned a lot about working with children with autism and behavioral issues. I love the people I work with, however, I have a lot of hours and inconsistent hours.
Review Summary
Advocate/Case Manager/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 8, 2015
Excellent environment for youth development skills. Thee various programs do outreach into the undeserved communities. There are many opportunities to contribute to society.
Pros
Ability to connect with others.
Cons
Late night interaction with families.
Supportive and fun environment
TSS (Former Employee) –  Peckville, PAFebruary 25, 2015
While working with children with disabilities and being spread otu in different schools and environments, the amount of support was unwaivering. When immediate supervisors did not have answers or resources, upper management did.
Pros
fun staff meetings, encouragement to advance
Cons
no vacation, personal or holiday pay.
great work-life balance
Billing Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAFebruary 3, 2015
a good place to work but no opportunity for advancement and the pay isn't worth the amount of work that you do...In most cases the employees know more than the supervisors
Prodctive Work Pace
Therapeutic Staff Support (TSS) (Current Employee) –  Sharon, PAJanuary 10, 2015
Steady work-place
I've learned the difference between autism and the different levels of behaviors while working with different clients.
Guiding client to help them, help themselves.
Co- workers are easily communicated to
Co-workers have unique personalities
Problems are addressed right away without hesitation, when there are concerns and issues. Whether it's with a client, client's family, and/or staff.
Great staff with positive workplace environment.
Electronic Monitoring Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJNovember 18, 2014
Job consists of monitoring youth in the program and coordinating with mentoring staff. Attending regular court visits as court liaison for program. Acquired important skills required in handling a busy, professional work atmosphere coupled with direct clinical experience working with high-risk youth through facilitating multiple weekly group therapy sessions and home visits. Hardest part of the job is dealing with closed-minded youth and the best part is breaking through to them.
Pros
positive staff and amazing organization.
Great company to work for and good work enviroment
TSS (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 3, 2014
I have worked with Youth Advocate for over a year and enjoyed working with children with disabilities and special needs. I feel like everyday I am making a difference in children's lives.
Pros
very flexible schedules and choosing your type of work
Cons
no compensation for days off, no room for advancement
nothing
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 10, 2014
I have nothing to say. It was a great company for kids. Great co workers.
Pros
great patients
Cons
can do better
Great people to work with which make it enjoyable
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 9, 2014
I really enjoy helping youth to become productive members of society .
A fun, rewarding place to work.
Administrative Assistant/ Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Everett, PAJanuary 22, 2014
Youth Advocate Programs is a great place to work. You are given many opportunities to get involved in the community and help people.
YAP c does not respond to employees concerns.
Mobile Therapist, BSC (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 30, 2013
My experience was pure chaos and an inability to perform job responsibilities or meaningfully lead a team by managers and clinical supervisors. Anyone who believes in social services and their independent ability to make a difference as an employee shouldn't even ponder this organization as a career choice.
Cons
everything
behavioral heath job focused in autism
Therapeutic Staff Support (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAAugust 15, 2013
I got hired right out of college and didn't need prior experience in field, just my degree. The training is great and you learn so much about autism at this job and jobs in the human service field. Job is working mostly with school-aged children, so if you don't like kids or don't have much patience this job probably isn't right for you. I loved working with the clients and helping them communicate and act more appropriate. The problem was getting everybody else (families, schools, etc...) on board with my job and getting respect. Another huge problem was your hours can get cut at any time b/c your client has medical problems, family doesn't want to participate anymore, government doesn't approve hours, school ends in summer etc...In the summer I had to get another job to afford my bills. While it does pay decent $15 an hour with client, all the meetings and paperwork are only allowed to be billed at minimum wage and they can't hire full-time. Also, you really can't move up without getting your masters. Sometimes you can have extremely stressful clients or situations. Luckily, they will work with you and I actually had to drop a very aggressive client because of safety issues. This job is very rewarding intrinsically, but comes with a lot of stress as well.
Pros
rewarding, relationship building, good experience in field, sometimes very easy like playing with client, decent pay, good supervisors, hard to get fired, good morals at company
Cons
paperwork, tough clients or families, lack of hours in the summer, clients not fulfilling hours, hours can get caught if client is doing better, politics with schools or families, no benefits, no moving up, hard to not take work home
Productive very nice place to work
PROGRAM MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 21, 2013
Logging advocates hours, verifying work hours were completed. Auditing advocates hours,processed payroll. I learned how the program helped youths to stay out of trouble. Co-workers cared about the youths. The hardest part of the job was learning about some of situations some of the youth went through. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting some the youths in the program.
A typical day at work
Therapeutic Staff Support (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAOctober 13, 2012
Almost everyday during the week I go to a school that my client attend. While at the school I worked with my client in everyday struggles that they faced. I transferred skills to both thier teachers, parents, peers and themselfs to help cope with the behavioral issue. I worked with them to help meet thier goals that were outlined in the treatment plan. I also worked with the indivduals I serviced in the home and community settings as well as at the school. I found the most rewarding part of my current job is the day to day progress these individuals make. The most difficult part of my current job is seeing the stuggles my clients face at times. The rewards of helping these individuals is what keeps me going daily.
Pros
i enjoyed working with both the school staff and the familes of those i serviced
Cons
thier is no health care, vacation time, or any other benifits at my current job

2.9