Youth Consultation Service Employee Reviews

Cool Company
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJMarch 2, 2017
The pay rate might start a little low at first but with more training your pay increases and they give lots of free training. YCS is very open to transfers and great holiday pay and vacation pay.
Administration is terrible
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJFebruary 22, 2017
The principal is a horrible person. Makes up rules for the school that are contradictory to hr and lies to the employees. The staff are great but unfortunately the constant berating from the principal is unbearable and almost everyone leaves after a short period of time. The turn over is rediculous.
Pros
Staff members, hours
Cons
Principal, pay
Working with children who lives with different disabilities
Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 27, 2017
Assist children with daily needs, implement service plans and meet all emotional, physical, personal and social needs. Assure individuals are safe and clean living environment .
Good for school
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Township of Randolph, NJJanuary 2, 2017
Work with individuals with mental disabilities. Great job if you are a student. I was able to work full-time and go to school full-time while I completed my Master's Degree.
Pros
Schedule flexibility
Cons
low pay, no room for advancement
ONLY GOOD if you like morning jobs
teachers aide II (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJAugust 26, 2016
The people you work with are cool. The administration are a bunch of tools. I worked at the site in montclair. Def good job if you like morning work.Your usually out be 3pm. The pay sucks for the type of work your doing. You would think since its special needs you get paid more but def not the case.
Pros
staff you work with
Cons
pay sucks, administration sucks
personal assistant
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sicklerville, NJAugust 8, 2016
This company is the worst to work for. You have no work/life balance at all. The management is horrible and they don't show you any type of acknowledgement for doing a great job.You don't get raises or bonuses but they continue to open up new houses.
Bad Supervisors
SRT (Former Employee) –  Somerdale, NJMay 12, 2016
This job is out of pocket. The Supervisors are all PAL's and will do anything to cover they behind especially if you're new. I worked here for about two months under a manager who gave very small details for large task then think its ok to document it if bs hit the fan. Then on top of that your mistake are counted for based on your friendship not your reputation or work ethnic. I never been butt kisser and i wouldn't be one for YCS. Just listen how after you start working mad extra task will be thrown your way which was not mentioned in the job description or interview. You drive far bad sometimes. They take years to pay you for gas and mileage. If the supervisors are friends they will team up on you to make sure they good and hit you with the book and policy and send you or your way. This job is very challenging if you are dumb enough to stay.
Pros
The money
Miscommunication
SRT Behavioral Assistant (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMay 4, 2016
when first applying for the job I was told I would be working directly with children who needed mentoring. when once hired I was put to work with autistic adults. if you are bilingual they will take advantage! also including shorting your paychecks! this job requires a lot of traveling and time! Working at some of the group homes, the staff treated the children very poorly. I was not pleased by the attitudes of my coworkers. I love children but this was not the place for me. every experience is different. hopefully yours is nothing like mine!
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
Not helpful to children
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJMay 2, 2016
This place might be an easy job, but you won't help any children here. Most staff play with their phones all day and will do ANYTHING not to get in trouble with management when residents have a complaint, including make false accusations. You won't help any kids, especially not at the Hackensack location.
Pros
Staff think job is easy money
Cons
You won't help kids; staff give new staff bad examples
Do not work for this agency especially farmiingdale
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Branch, NJOctober 28, 2015
Please do not work at the farmingdale location. Poor management, staff always leaving because of management. House is poorly ran better management in there asap paychecks always messed up never leave when its your time to get off. Residents fighting you doing take downs everyday.
Interacting with behavioral and mental health youths (girls/boys)
Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJOctober 26, 2015
fun, and exciting. learn a lot about the challenges that the youth have to face every day.

I enjoy working for YCS.

And the staff are very hard workers.
productive
Group Youth Facilitator (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJSeptember 29, 2015
family connections is a great place to work. hard work and dedication really pays off and the children benefit from the hard work.
Ability to work with children
Administrator. (Former Employee) –  Union City, NJSeptember 3, 2015
If you are interested In working with children and their families, this agency is for you. You have the ability to utilize social work skills, counselling, referrals and community resources. A social worker is able to assists families with navigating through systems to assists for healthier families.
Pros
Independent working environment
Cons
overwhelming case loads
Underappreciated Baby Jail Warden
Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newark,NJAugust 9, 2015
Rid yourself of the idea that you will be going in here doing good.
Fact of the matter is the children are mistreated, ignored, and attended to as if they are a burden.

If I weren't mistaken I definitely would think this was a baby prison and we (the employees) were the wardens.

Pay is low for the amount of under appreciation and overworking that goes on here.

There is rarely any coverage and if there is no coverage chances are you will be staying longer than anticipated with no regard for ones personal life.

I could go on and on...

Fact is that it is a JOB....period at the expense and mental health of children who've done nothing wrong to belong here.
horrible place to work
RESIDENTIAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJJuly 28, 2015
Clean work environment wake kids.
Learned how not to treat people.
Management is horrible.
Great Co-workers(some of them)
The worst part of the job, the pay
The best part of the job is clocking out.
Pros
Cons
Very low pay. For hard and dangerous work.
Care and ensure safety for five clients that are developmentally disabled
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJMay 19, 2015
The start of my shift the girls have snack in the dining area. After the return from school all residents will go upstairs to their rooms and have relaxation hour where they shower, take a nap or just relax in bed. Dinner is prepared by the Supervisor of the shift; the girls come downstairs and all eat dinner together. After dinner they will clean up and do their lifeskills, they can hang out in the house or we will go out and do an activity with them. By 7pm the remainder of the clients will shower and by 8pm they will receive medication and go in their rooms for bed.
greatbexperience
Child Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJMay 1, 2015
monitor youths. taught life skills. transport to and from school. help plan recreational activites. transport to doctor and court.
Pros
love it
Cons
not doing more to help the company
Family Orientated
HR Senior Recruiter (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJMarch 12, 2015
YCS partners with each child to build a healthy, happy, productive life within families and communities.

I love helping and assisting others, and being a team player.

There is an open door policy.

The most challenging part of my job, ensuring everyone is satisfied.
Pros
Excellent Medical Benefits
Cons
One hour lunch, and two (2) 15 mins. breaks.
Great enviorment
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orange New JerseyFebruary 11, 2015
I like where I work. the staff is good and the environment sometimes is unstable but overall its a good job. The youth I work with is what keeps me there.
Pros
good staff
Cons
low pay
Youth Consultation Service
Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Somerdale, NJFebruary 7, 2015
A typical day at work was always untypical. I might be at a specified location but get an emergency call which would require an immediate response. I learned how to responsibly deal with clients and how to be creative in ways to fix major and minor safety violations. The management team was disassociated with the staff it was supposed to represent but my co-workers were fantastic. The hardest part of the job was having to work when clients with disabilities were home, but most rewarding was the thanks I got from those same clients when I fixed the problem they were having.
Pros
Happy faces at the end of the day
Cons
No pay raise in 5 1/2 years

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Youth Consultation Service. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7