Youth Consultation Services Employee Reviews

Great experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJFebruary 21, 2017
I loved working for Youth Consultation Services. This was one of the most rewarding experiences I have had. The culture was diverse which I loved. Team work environment....
Sawtelle Learning Center- It takes a special kind of person to work here.
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJJanuary 18, 2017
very hostile work environment. Constant restraints, frequently being moved from class to class. CANNOT park on school property. Risk of injury for staff is very high.
typical day at work is waiting for the shuttle bus at the ymca parking deck, then doing tons of paperwork, then taking kids off buses, rain or shine. then going through the motions, group, academics, lunch, life skills, etc.
then a 30 min break and you can't leave the building either, just in case a child needs to be restrained. then group and whatever else is left, more paperwork. Then the kids are taken to buses to go home and then you have to wait for the shuttle to bring you back to the deck while all the upper staff(teachers, etc.) head to their cars.
My coworkers are very nice people, not all but most are. some are just phony.
The hardest part of the job is being attacked by one of the kids and not being able to defend yourself. The most enjoyable part is working with the children who don't exhibit many behaviors.
Overall, honestly this job isn't for everyone, think long and hard before you except that job offer. This is a place where you see and deal with a whole lot Mon-Fri. It is emotionally, mentally and physically draining. Its a good place to start for a little while but not somewhere to stay long term. People come and go here. This isn't a job for everyone, good luck.
Pros
Great Benefits, school days off, 8AM-3PM work schedule, looks good on resume.
Cons
Short Breaks, Hostile Work environment, No diversity in upper management, parking, very low pay.
Excellent
Site/Program Administrator, Spec Bed for Girls (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJNovember 28, 2016
Busy but rewarding because, every day is an opportunity to help yet, another child or family. This is one of the largest organization in New Jersey and yet the CEO has time for all his employees. He listens to every one that works for him. He is humble and loves those who are loyal to the organization.
Pros
Had The Best CEO
Good agency
Behavioral Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 13, 2016
The new management is not like the past do not care about the employees and see everyone as replaceable. If you like working with children it is woeth the aggravation.
Wonderful experience
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 8, 2016
This internship was invaluable to my development as a social worker. I had great supervision. I worked in a small office with three other social workers. The small quarters actually gave me the opportunity to receive and give lots of feedback.
Pros
working on a team, great supervision, interesting clientele
Cons
limited resources
na
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJSeptember 3, 2015
I enjoy working at this company very fast paced environment. Also working with new and existing employees on a face to face basis requires me to use my customer service skills as well.
Varies within agency
Teacher (Current Employee) –  NJAugust 8, 2015
Inconsistent management and lack of respect for employees in some divisions. Minimal pay increases every two or three years.
no room for growth
Personal Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJuly 29, 2015
The management is very demanding and show little to no positive reinforcement. Co workers are all very hard working. hardest part of the job is dealing with management.
Quite the mixed bag..
Intern (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJApril 18, 2015
This place has it's ups and downs. On the bright side: work can be pretty flexible, and job security isn't really something you have to worry about too much. But the pay leaves quite a bit to be desired (granted this is a non-profit) and management is like Russian Roulette.
Most enjoyable part
Family Preservation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Union City, NJJanuary 16, 2015
The most enjoyable aspect of this company is working with the children in need who benefit greatly from the various services provided from staff.
Pros
Health Care, Flexible schedule
Cons
High staff turnover
Social work intern
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 26, 2014
great supportive work environment, flexible hours, and I even got a stipend as an intern!
Client focussed
Adolescent Development Program (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 11, 2014
A great and safe environment for clients to reach their full potential. A very dedicated and hard working staff. Offers a variety of services for clients.
Fun Workplace
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sewell, NJFebruary 20, 2014
Its a great place to work. Great people. Great management. Can learn a lot from working there.
Easy going workplace
Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJFebruary 16, 2014
A typical day at work for me consist of assuring the unit is ran in a safe and orderly manner overnight. It's my duty to do daily room checks and log information in the log book very 15 minutes.
Pros
night shift, residents are asleep
Cons
I don't really get a chance to build a rap ore with the residents due to the time i report to work.
Good Job
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJFebruary 10, 2014
It was a hectic job but I loved it, I loved working with the kids and the staff were very friendly I learned a lot everyday
not for me
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Union City, NJFebruary 3, 2014
YCS was not a good company to work for due to the lack of management skills.
1st job
Family Preservation Counselor (Former Employee) –  Union City, NJNovember 9, 2013
Provide direct treatment/counseling services to high risk families requiring intensive services. Perform in-field work to conduct in-home counseling, assess family needs during crisis, and refer families to community resources after intervention. Document interventions and services provided to the family daily. Communicate with DYFS workers and supervisors about families referred to the program and about families’ progress and/or emergencies.
Daily Routine
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  new brunswickOctober 31, 2013
A typical day at work would be me checking all areas of the facility. Make sure everything is clean and accounted for; then read through all logs and important documents. I instruct all employees on the shift of there responsibilities and monitor all activity, that is going on in the facility. Once the shift is approaching the end my employees and I complete all documentation and clean the entire area. I learn a great deal throughout the day, such as how to make everyone co-exist. The hardest part of the job is the amount of hours that I work which is sixteen. The most enjoyable part is knowing I am helping someone in need.
Pros
Communication, Report Writing, Leadership, & Fast Learner
Cons
Advanced Math
One of the best jobs I've ever had...
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sicklerville, NJOctober 17, 2013
Each day almost always threw a curve ball, but that is the nature of working with children with behavioral, psychological, and emotional issues. The job could become stressful, and could cause burn out without some type of positive release. The staff generally takes care of each other and the management is extremely fair. I was exposed to a lot of great training that ranged from problem solving and team building to de-escalation and passive restraints. Hardest part of the job was leaving the stress behind and getting too attached to the clients, and the best part was the staff and the work environment.
Pros
Good pay, pleasant staff, fun work environment
Cons
Emotionally taxing
Great skills buildng environment
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJOctober 14, 2013
The most enjoyable part t this job was experiencing the change evolution of the clients.
Pros
Work hours
Cons
Limited growth possibilites and intense responsibility

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Youth Consultation Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Youth Consultation Services Reviews by Location