Youth Opportunity Center Employee Reviews

Good experience with juveniles
Youth Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INOctober 4, 2017
Working at the YOC was a good experience. Learning about the children and their stories. Learning about what they endure in their life, and what they have had to go through while growing up.
Balanced work with minimum difficulty
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 14, 2017
Working at the youth opportunity center was pretty good with good pay. We helped with maintenance and cleaning equipment, emptied out trash cans and cleaned the floors.
Loving Team
Child Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INAugust 28, 2017
I loved working at YOC. The children are great, the staff make you feel like family, and it is an all around great place to work. Sometimes days could be hard due to children not having a great day but the staff will make the day better and help the child in need. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the kids grow individually and seeing them smile and make progress with themselves. It is a great feeling to know that you make a difference in each of these kids lives. Did I say the staff is great? They are phenomenal!
Pros
Great staff, great promotions, Teamwork
Cons
No Cons!
Difficult place to work depending on what cottage you are in
Youth Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INAugust 7, 2017
A typical day includes enforcing rules for the kids that reside at the YOC and keeping them on a strict daily schedule. I learned a lot about how these kids function and definitely NEED discipline in their lives that the YOC tries to provide. The cottage manager was very disorganized and did not tend to communicate anything clearly. I've met people that absolutely love their jobs at this organization and I really admire that because it's not an easy job by far. It was hard for me to stay because of how inexperienced I was and then my co workers and manager just tended to make it worse for me by constant miscommunication and sometimes being MIA.
Pros
Connecting with kids
Cons
high rate of burn out
Fantastic employment!
Youth Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJune 9, 2017
The Youth Opportunity Center is an amazing nonprofit organization designed to help troubled youth. The work environment can be overwhelming and stressful, but the work done for the kids is worth every bit of stress and is very rewarding. The staff is very caring of the troubled youth who stay in the cottages at the Youth Opportunity Center, and they are focused on making an impact on the lives of those in need.
It is an amazing place to work. The purpose of the YOC makes me feel blessed to be a part of it.
Clinical Services Secretary (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INJune 4, 2017
I love working at the YOC. It has been a pleasure starting a new position, making it "my own", getting to know everyone that works on campus and getting to know the kiddo's.
I would love to be able to stay there until retirement but I have recently moved and it is a little bit of a longer drive for me and unfortunately there is no chance for advancement nor a raise in the foreseeable future.
If things were different, I would not be on Indeed looking for new employment.
The YOC is an amazing place, not only for employees but also for family and children that need the help.
Pros
Getting to know the kids, lunch on campus, the people and what YOC stands for
Cons
no advancement in my position and no raises
Enjoyable workplace with the residents
Child Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INMay 26, 2017
I loved working at The Youth Opportunity Center. My typical day at work was different each day I had no idea what i was walking into and that's what made it enjoyable. I did not like management. The hardest part of the job was seeing residents you got to know leave and go back out into the real world.
Great place to advance and make long lasting relationships
Child Care Specialist/Behavioral Clinician (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INApril 25, 2017
Within 6 months of working here I moved to a higher paying position and the people I work with are great. Unfortunately, I just need a job closer to Anderson and hopefully something that has tuition reimbursement.
Pros
people
Cons
distance
OK place to work if you can afford it
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INApril 4, 2017
My job consisted of working in the office. Day to day work was not bad. I didn't have contact with the residents. The only problem I had was the pay rate. After being hired, I learned that the office people don't get raises, and if they DID get raises, it wasn't often. Needless to say, I had to find other work because I couldn't afford to work there. Their benefits package was also pricey, so that was MORE money out of my pocket.
Pros
Work/life balance, coworkers, cheap lunches
Cons
Pay, benefits, no raises
Good Place to work
Child Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INMarch 15, 2017
It's a good place to work, with advancement opportunities. The hardest part of the job is trying to balance the behaviors with keeping the kids on schedule.
Pros
lots of overtime, free meals
Cons
No breaks, and could pay a bit better
Good place to work if you don't plan on being there long.
Cook (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INFebruary 24, 2017
I absolutely love the people I work with, but the pay isn't very good in the kitchen. We have people there that have been there for 8+ years that make the same amount as I do. Also some of the upper management and direct care staff treat kitchen workers like trash.
Pros
Free clinic, cheap lunches, and good health care coverage
Cons
No advancement opportunities, low pay
Challenging and potentially rewarding
Child Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INFebruary 22, 2017
Gives you the opportunity to be a role model to adolescents. Allows you understand information regarding the adolescents and their lifestyles. Provides teaching opportunities to adolescents such as new life skills to help prepare for a better future. One challenge that affects individuals differently are the disrespectful comments towards staff and other adolescents.
Cons
Food, no breaks
This is a great place to work if you like to help at risk youth,
Practicum Counselor (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INJanuary 7, 2017
This place in unique because it provides residential services along with public schools, courts and probation all at the same location.
Pros
I love working with at risk youth.
Cons
I drive to Muncie twice a week.
Okay place to work
Employee (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJanuary 7, 2017
YOC is an okay place to work. Many times expectations are unreachable. Depending on where you work on campus and who your supervisor is as to the flexibility of work and hours.
Pros
Clinic on site
Cons
Pay, favoritism
Employment
Child Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INNovember 29, 2016
Great company to work for, very flexible with hours.
Will also increase salary every months, more so 3 month as long as you are taking care of your .
Enjoyable, productive, Disciplined
Childcare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INNovember 1, 2016
I learned at this job how to reduce a stress in the environment and resolving conflict that doesn't result in physical interference and how to connect with kids easily and get an understanding what is going on in their life to help them achieve their personal goals. My management has been trained well and reliable, there wouldn't be a day where someone from management wasn't there to help in a situation if needed too. The hardest part of working at the YOC is mostly relating to kids, sometimes people don't go through the same experiences and can be hard to connect with that child. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching a child that you've helped achieve their goal.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
short breaks, short lunches
It's a good place to help young find coping skills.
Child Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INSeptember 10, 2016
Average day at work would be to wake the children up, have them to make up there beds, eat breakfast, do their hydrangea and go to school ( daily schedule). I learned you can't talk to everyone the same way nor treat them the same, I learned how to proper restrain the young children without hurting them and self control.The management was very helpful and willing to work with every employee there as well as co-workers. The hardest part about the job would be honestly having the young children control there language. The most enjoyable part about the the job would be helping the young children transition back into real life,helping them find ways to cope with their stress angry.
Pros
Assitting the young children
Cons
It's a chance a child will run
fun workplace
Staff Leader (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CASeptember 9, 2016
Its a great opportunity to work with kids. I enjoyed working at a park and recreation with others. I learned that dealing with kids is a big responsibility.
Yoc fam
Child Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJanuary 6, 2016
Great Environment. Great company to work for. Truly value their employees, although some days it will not feel like it!

Nothing bad to say about this company. Highly suggest looking into employment here if you love kids, want to make a difference in someone's life, and value your co-workers!
Pros
Co-workers, Management
Cons
Working on Holidays, Stress (at times); that comes with any job!
working with teenagers
Child Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INNovember 17, 2015
It was very tough working with teenagers. Many of these young men and women were hard to deal with because of their issues. Every day was different and you never knew what to expect.
Pros
help young people get their lives together.
Cons
managment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Youth Opportunity Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Youth Opportunity Center Reviews by Location