Youth Policy Institute Employee Reviews

Fun working with high school students
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90014November 19, 2017
Working for this company was a great experience. I learned that you can relate to many people lives if you just listen to their story. there was nothing hard about this job, i really enjoyed being apart of this company.
Overall wonderful opportunity
Lead Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Fernando Valley, CANovember 6, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed the years I spent at this organization. I learned so much about working at a non profit and it also helped me better determine what career I wanted for my future. Thanks YPI!
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Takes a while to move up the ladder
Students found it diffult to continue focusing on learning after school.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 2, 2017
The concept of Youth Policy - to provide needed academic aid to targeted youth - is a very good one. However, it offers this help after selected students have spent all day in school. These were middle and high school students, The last thing they wanted to do was stay after school. Therefore, their interest and attention was poor.
Youth Policy managers were constantly introducing fun things to do and incentives to stay.
Best Job I had so far
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Fernando Valley, CANovember 1, 2017
When I say the best job ever I’m not stretching the truth. This job was very easy and helped me learn many things working for YPI. I was able to learn many skills with computer, problems with kids, and life lessons were learned at this job as well. I was very happy I was given that job opportunity and was happy to be able to learn and grow from it.
Pros
Free food and great knowledge was learned
Cons
Can’t think of any
Poor Upper Management
Employee (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 4, 2017
-They do not invest in employees that are not at a manager level.
-There are countless meetings that chew up a great deal of time and yet nothing is accomplished.
-They hire outside instead of internally when there are employees that are more than qualified for the position.

Though the services they provide the community are great and needed, it's unfortunate that they do not help their own employees advance career wise.
Benefits
fast paced
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 2, 2017
Hardest part of the job is behavior management of students. Schedule moves quickly from snack to homework time , activity time, and recess. Checking out students is a bit challenging because you need to watch students but also talk to the parents about any events, child behavior, or do early check outs.
enjoyable
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 12, 2017
I was trained to enhance and improve students academic progress which allows a student to be better prepared for testings. i enjoyed this because i nit only strive for students success but always created new and easier ways for students to be able to quickly pick up the information being taught.
Easy place to work with kids and supports college student
Site tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 7, 2017
This job included tutoring a class of about 10-20 kids. All the tutors would conduct activities and home work time, and a few field trips. I learned how to manage a big class setting and how to manage to keep kids engaged when conducting activities. I also assisted as a Girls on the Run coach as a private job for the company. The management worked well with me in case I had any questions, and worked well with my school schedule. The overall culture was good all employees got along and it was a great atmosphere. There was nothing hard about the job and the most enjoyable thing was that it felt like a family.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
I needed to be there for more than a year to get a raise
benefits
Peer Educator and Mentor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 6, 2017
I didn't qualify for benefits but I'm sure that they are fair. It is and was the only non-profit I ever worked. I would greatly recommend anyone work here.
Great entry level employment
Student and Family Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pacoima, CASeptember 5, 2017
Youth Policy Institute is a great organization to start non-profit work.
It is a great steppping stone community work in education, college and career counseling, youth employment, community development, etc.
Pros
Great benefits for a non-profit
Cons
many grant funded programs
Overworked, Unprofessional environment.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 21, 2017
Not only did I feel overworked but the management and staff members were not supportive. Great place to get experience but not a company to work for many years.
Benefits
Cons
Hostile Environment. Poor management.
I love this Org
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 9, 2017
YPI is a really wonderful organization to work for. The people are truly committed to the mission and everyone has strong work ethics there. The positions, from what I recall, are mostly grant based. There are people who stay for many years. When grant periods are over, there's always a buzz of who's gonna stay and who's gonna go.
Changes
Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2017
Priority given to expansion and not providing quality services. Managers lack skills and experience to support staff in developing their own skills. Overall, it's a scary place to work.
Pros
Ability to deliver good work to high-need families
Cons
Where does one begin. Inept middle management.
Fun place to work with students
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Northridge, CAJuly 12, 2017
It was easy for me to interact with students, which made it more fun. I easily built trust with my students, which made it more comfortable for them to ask me for help.
Productive and extreme hours.
Program Director (Former Employee) –  San Fernando Valley, CAJuly 5, 2017
Worked Long hours everyday. Management young and inexperienced. Positive workplace and loved working with families and agency partners and conducting orientations and programs for participants..
Pros
Most of the time doing own supervision
Cons
Excessive expectations
very friendly environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Fernando, CAJuly 2, 2017
The workplace is very calming and friendly, they are dedicated to helping the youth of the community. they helped troubled and struggling youth and parents. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able too help the community and make new friends within the workplace. The staff are really friendly and available for help when asked and needed. There really was no hard part for me while working with Youth Policy Institute.
loved working here
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 18, 2017
everyone was so friendly and I enjoyed helping with food prep and servings for the after school program kids I have no complaints requiring working here
Working with students
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Pacoima, CAJune 13, 2017
Ive learned to handle more than 20 students while helping them with homework and starting educational club with them. I enjoy being able to help the children and being able to help them grow educacional way.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Great job for college students
staff and parents (Former Employee) –  Lake View Terrace, CAJune 11, 2017
Good job to obtain when just graduating high school for those who like to work with kids. Great experience to learn how to be patient, time management, and more from having a class of your own. Just doesn't work around your school schedule.
Athletic Instructor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 6, 2017
Working for YPI has been one of the best experience. The Admin at the school site were not supportive but the YPI team managed to have a great year..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Youth Policy Institute. Our community is ready to answer.