Youth Policy Institute Employee Reviews

It's a great company, but needs better leadership
Academic Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAJanuary 1, 2017
This is a good non-profit, provides numerous services, but management is not invested in helping people/students, as much as meeting deadlines and requirements of grants. Sadly, our previous lead manager was able to regurgitate the compliance and guidelines to her boss and she was promoted. Tutors are able to make a difference in student's lives, and become the direct change- the organization as a whole needs to improve in its recognition and valuing the work of its members.
there's little accountability through management because the tutor position is funded through AmeriCorps.
Pros
great students
Cons
long hours, little pay, alot of commute.
Upper management not professsional.
Would rather not say (Current Employee) –  Would rather not sayDecember 10, 2016
Worst job I have ever had. Environment is not professional. No support. Company does not care about it's employees or keeping them. Upper management is willing to sacrifice the well being of its workers by giving them multiple job responsibilities to safe a penny.All about $$$ .But company claims to be a non profit. Top mánagément salaries are $$$, $$$ . Takes on new grants without having knowledge of what they are getting themselves into.
Great non-profit org
Food & Nutrition Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 23, 2016
I can't wait to get to work every day because I know that every day I will be helping out someone find a resource they need to live a healthy life - weather it is signing them up for CalFresh benefits or enrolling them in the Community Supported Agriculture program.
Pros
Get to work on food justice issues.
Cons
Salary is low.
Great experience
Academic Tutor (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Panorama City, CADecember 15, 2016
There is a great team of academic tutors from different educational backgrounds which created a great work environment and interesting conversations.
Pros
Great co-workers and flexible hours
Cons
short lunches
Great place to get started and give back to the community.
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 19, 2017
Great place to get started and work with students. Lots of tasks to take care of and minimal assistance provided. Must learn to sink or swim.
Challenging and incredibly worthwhile experience.
AmeriCorps Member/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 5, 2016
Working as a tutor with Americorps through YPI asked more of my physcially and mentally, than any other job I have had before. I was tasked with 10 hours day working as a push-in tutor in the classroom as well as heading an after school program in the afternoon. On top of that I was tasked with creating an engaging curriculum that incorporate mathematics and reading. These were all things I had never done before, which the challenege all the more great.

However, children I was able to tutor and help improve made this all worthwhile.
Fun Work Environment
Social Services (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 7, 2016
It has been a great experience working for Youth Policy Institute. I started off working as a part-time employee. I've been promoted twice to run new programs with the organization. It's definitely a great place to learn and grow.
Pros
401 K, flexible work schedule
Cons
n/a
Enjoyed working with staff and students, good environment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 17, 2016
Patience is key, active and engaging learning, fun activities to do, good communication with staff and administrators
Pros
good management
Cons
Dealing with different personalities, part time
fun and productive enviroment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 21, 2016
cool and slow environment and also kinda stressful because of customer service. the hardest part of the job is where you tend the people coming in which you don't know the answer to fix their problems, and you have to improvise.
Pros
super cool supervisor
Cons
mean old secretary
okay
AmeriCorps VISTA (Current Employee) –  Pacoima, CAMarch 30, 2016
I want to leave already. There is no structure. The people are great but i wish to pursue other opportunities. Non-profits are just not where the money is at.
Fun and rewarding place to work.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 3, 2016
You need a lot of energy and patience to deal with the students, but the work is rewarding. The work environment is like any regular after school setting and as long as you have a supportive team everything will be okay.
creative activities with young kids
o General tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 20, 2015
I would make fun activities for the kids to play. I would have to come up with a technique to make them be more involved in their homework. I learned that kids love incorporating play into their education. It was easy keeping all the kids together once they got to know you and you got to know them. My coworkers would give me ideas for the kids and what I can do to make time go by fun with them. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the kids who constantly wanted to be running away from all staff. The best time as work was getting love from the kids and enjoying the fun ways they learn and think.
Pros
Fun, exciting
Cons
un behaved kids
Enjoyable enviroment!
Athletic Director/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CaliforniaOctober 5, 2015
Its great to work with the kids at the Youth Policy Institute. The children enjoy getting attention and are open to learning as much as you can teach them. Co - workers are just as good and typically share with one another.
Pros
Flexible hours, great kids to work with, happy environment
Cons
Aren't enough hours to give employees
Soothing!
Data & Quality Control Assistant (Paid Internship) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 1, 2015
filed paper's! organize them! enter data into the Isis system!
Helped people around the community fill out forms when needed translation and didn't comprehend certain things on the form! helped move office supplies around the building!
Pros
The people!
Cons
None at all!
Fun,energetic and Productive workplace
Academic Tutor /Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesJuly 29, 2015
Work is fun and productive. I have learnt good time management and to actively planned a lesson. My co-workers are fun,very helpful. The supervisor is very supportive. There are no difficulties in getting the job done. My most enjoyable time is seeing students learn in a fun environment
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
healthcare, short hours
Fun and relaxed working place
Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Fernando Valley, CAJune 2, 2015
The atmosphere was good and the staff was great to work with but the management of the site coordinator seemed to be bipolar due to her leadership would be positive on her good days and mostly bad on her bad days. It varied and it was difficult at times to communicate to the site coordinator because she was busy majority of the time. Overall, the company is great to work for as a secondary job providing flexible hours revolving around the school schedule depending on the school location.
Pros
Job is flexible
Cons
Hours are too short
great people - great program - i was able to change lives that mattered using art
Art Specialist (Former Employee) –  los ángeles caJune 9, 2015
held artist workshops ranging from ceramics to printing making and beginning drawing and design, i also worked through out the city and was able to provide families with genuine fine art instruction using contemporary art supplies - such as the potters wheel with kiln and glaze
Pros
fine art workshops straight to the kids that needed it most
Cons
low works hours
Fun work place, enjoyable
Administrative assistant/tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 19, 2015
Do office input for staffs, serve food for children and be a tutor.
I've learned that working with children is a blessing.
Hardest part of my job was dealing with the new children or children who were misbehaved.
Enjoyable part of this job was bonding with children and helping them build a positive view of their future.
Pros
long lunch breaks, play with children, free work schedule
Cons
no cons
Will pay for you to attend their trainnings, this company believes in investing in their employees.
Lead Tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 12, 2012
A typical day at work can be hectic, but rewarding. I have learned so much from this job, like how to effectively manage a classroom, how to deal with emergency situations or behavioral issues, and how to successfully run an after school program. I also learned valuable management skills by being a leader and guiding newer tutors as they learn their way. The hardest part of the job is having to work odd hours during the day. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping students learn and seeing their "ah hah" moments, when you can tell they learned something new.
Pros
lots of trainings
Cons
part time hours for tutors
Overworked
Regional Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 31, 2013
While working, we had a sense a pride because YPI is a non profit, however, things changed the longer I worked there. It seemed as though everything we did was for a profit, often at the expense of our students. Management was not willing to listen to our suggestions, even though we often felt that we were not as productive as possible. In the end, the company decided to subcontract (to the company with the worst reputation). This was disheartening because we would pride ourselves in being different, and in the end, YPI sold out to the highest bidder.
Pros
Decent benefits. Great Coworkers
Cons
Priorities not set properly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Youth Policy Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3