Youth Villages Employee Reviews

All nursing staff worked well together
Staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Eads, TN Dogwood Village CampusSeptember 24, 2016
All nurses worked together well and were very diligent about passing on information to the oncoming nurses. Communication was good,
After retiring I returned as a agency nurse and worked for a couple months until a staff nurse was hired.
Pros
free meal while working
Cons
unable to leave campus during shift
A great place to grow
Primary Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tupelo, MSSeptember 22, 2016
A great place to work and grow. If you ever want to gain needed experience, come to Youth Villages. This job offers many benefits to a young eager person who is willing to learn.
Walk, no run away!!!
Intensive In-Home Counselor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 9, 2016
The work life balance is deplorable and should be the reason the company goes under all on its own. There is an extremely high turnover rate. 6 people left within 3 weeks, once. You can be out in the field for 8+ hours and will still be expected to completed all paperwork within 24hrs. YV supervisors do not care about your families at home, if you eat, or even sleep for that matter. They only care about you being well enough to complete the work. Even if you have scheduled time off, you are expected to produce the same 40 plus hours worth of work.

YOU ARE NOT DOING THERAPY!!! You will be under the impression that you are going to be providing awesome therapeutic services to very in need families... LIES!!! Those poor families are being forced to receive therapy, no matter how much they refute. YV supervisors will try to manipulate why those families need therapy and exploit their problems because the service was court mandated.
The work is nonstop, supervisors are very critical- which is ironic because the MST model is strengths based. You will NEVER get to a point of just case notes... there are assessments, treatment plans and evaluations due EVERY week, on top of mandatory meetings that take away from clinical time.

Cultural diversity is a HUGE problem... its the giant elephant in the room. You are mainly working with poor and disenfranchised POC and the staff is 90% non-POC middle and upper class, and there are no trainings on culture, interaction or basic manners towards the clients.

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT apply!!! You're WELCOME!!!
Pros
Benfits
Cons
EVERYTHING
everyone is highly unprofessional
Teacher Counselor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Douglasville, GAAugust 6, 2016
Unprofessional and terrible management. No one is helpful, you don't get breaks. Mangers only care about hiring cute women instead of people that will do their jobs.
Pros
Cons
16 hour long shifts, no breaks, poor pay, poor management
Very stressful work environment
Family Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 5, 2016
Low salary for the amount of work required with minimal training and poor support from management. Good ideal poor execution.
long hours and poor training.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 29, 2016
A typical work day is 10-12 hours. The agency advertises the counselor position as being flexible with the ability to work at home but there is truly no work life balance. Training is minimum. There is high turnover. Management lacks consistency and an appropriate chain of command. Management does not check in with new employees. The hardest part of the job is managing the daily responsibilities with minimum support. The best part of the job is touching the live of families that are in desperate need of support and counseling. I was able to sharpen my skills and learned of some community resources.
Pros
looks good on a resume
Cons
long hours, no support, little training, lack of work life balance.
Productive Company
Nutritional Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 19, 2016
Youth Villages is a great place to work. The company helps a lot of youths become productive in life. I've learn a lot, they have allow me to take me to continue my training to become a better manager.
Internship-Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GAJuly 17, 2016
Productive work place and positive envoirnment to be in. Established excellent connections with staff team members and children .
The absolute truth = do not work here!!
Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GAJune 29, 2016
I was a behavioral asst. there and if it wasn't for the children I would have quit long before I did. Breaks? hardly.... Teamwork? barely..... Pay?....not for the amount of work you'll have to do. Paperwork is a nightmare and dont even think about leaving your shift if someone's running late -_____-

Overall, dont say I didn't warn ya!!
Great opportunity to help youth with mental illnesses.
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, TNJune 28, 2016
There is a welcoming environment, and helpful supervision. There is an ability to build rapport with clients and see the progress of your work.
Pros
Helping youth and families
Cons
Dangers dealing with youth and families who do not know how to regulate thier emotions.
Great place to start gaining experience
Therapeutic Foster Care Trainer/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 25, 2016
Great place to start a career, but no long term stabilization. Not good compensation. This job can be frustrating because of the untraditional schedule in all positions with the company. Youth Villages always have fun things for their employees to do.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Do not follow processes
Hardest Job I've Ever Had
Foster Parent Trainer and Behavior Specialist (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJune 24, 2016
I worked at Youth Villages right after graduating from college with my undergraduate degree, over 10 years ago. It was my first professional job and I'm very thankful I had this experience. One thing this job taught me was work ethic. The demands of the job and hours were relentless, and most staff were on call 24/7 (I received calls through the night and on weekends often). This meant NO life outside of work. I was extremely dedicated to my clients and wanted to uphold my promise to them to be their support. However, there were other staff who didn't answer the client calls or respond when needed, which meant I got called A LOT from clients who were unable to reach other staff. It got to a point that was just unbearable, and many of the on-call situations were very extreme (some even life-threatening for clients and staff involved). The reason I'm thankful for this experience is I feel like I can handle just about anything now. I have worked at two other places since leaving Youth Villages; and I always remind myself that nothing I experience on the job is half as stressful as I what I endured at Youth Villages.

I always felt that Youth Villages had potential to be a great, great company but they couldn't quite get the management and organizational structures in place to address some of their big issues. In turn, I saw a lot of great talent leave, myself included. Even the hardest working and most dedicated workers would struggle in their environment. It is frustrating to see the other reviews, which tell me that not much has changed. I wish they could get it together because
  more... they really do have a wonderful mission and purpose. It is just a shame that they don't know how to structure their positions in a way that is actually do-able. If they would work on structuring their positions and programs better, they would save a ton of money from lowered turnover and might even be able to pay their employees more - which would be a win-win!  less
Pros
Great company mission, wonderful training, open to hiring to new graduates
Cons
No work/life balance, extremely long hours, very high stress
A Challenging but Rewarding Profession
Behavioral Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, MAJune 21, 2016
A typical milieu shift is 2-11 PM. Milieu staff working with adolescents to help them utilize their basic skills throughout the day. The time of 11 PM is not necessarily correct, though, I have been there till 12:30-2 in the morning.
The co-workers and staff are great to work with. They are your biggest support.
I have learned to use CPI and CPS. The experience working with this population has been challenging but it gives me a broad perspective on this population.
The hardest part of my job besides working Wednesday-Saturday till 12:30-2 AM and the risk of being hurt by an adolescent.
Cons
One 30 minute-break.
n/a
Residential Counselor/Clinical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Bartlett, TNJune 16, 2016
Counseled adolescent girls regarding their psychological, behavioral,or emotional problems. I completed case documentations, psycho-social assessments for each individual, confer with treatment team members about appropriate therapeutic action for an individual treatment plan. Management was helpful.
The company has its perks and drawbacks
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Linden, TNMay 30, 2016
Lack of organization, but a great place for someone that can handle it. Overall, not a bad place to work. It just wasn't for me
Hit or Miss
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 12, 2016
Youth Villages can be a great company. The people you meet and the youth you help is what will keep you there. The work is tedious and the rules are ever changing. There are so many gray areas and nothing is black and white. Getting a clear answer regarding policies, procedures and training is very hard. The work life balance is nonexistent.

You can do something one day and it be perfectly fine and then you could get in trouble for it the next day.
Pros
Helping youth; Establishing meaningful relationships with peers and others
Cons
Very low pay; no work-life balance; unclear expectations; sub par training
Basically requires your whole life...
Transitional Living Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 7, 2016
Youth Villages has a great mission and the company does a lot to help families and children that need help. Working with the individual clients is amazing and rewarding. The job is perfect for recent graduates to get experience and the company offers tuition and license reimbursement to help further your career.
Pros
Amazing work, amazing clients, at the end of the day you will feel like you have helped at least one person to have a better life.
Cons
Sometimes difficult crisis situations require long hours.
Great experience
Data Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bartlett, TNMay 2, 2016
Responsible for record management of client paper
Entered client invoice data into Excel spreadsheets
Updated client records in an Access database
Pros
friendly workplace co-workers
Challenging yet rewarding
Family Intervention Specialist (Current Employee) –  TNApril 30, 2016
The job is flexible with work hours but you also work non typical hours as you are meeting with families around their work and school schedules. There are ALOT of trainings and meetings that actually interfere with your ability to do your job. The demands of the job are challenging and take a lot of time. The results of services are very rewarding when you can see the progress made with the families you have worked with.
A great rehabilitation center for trouble youths to come to gain tools to be more productive.
Family Counselor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 27, 2016
A great rehabilitation center for trouble youths from all over the U.S to come and gain tools for a more productive life.

2.4