Youth Villages Employee Reviews

Well..
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 14, 2017
The kids are expected to behave as they do, in which your told in training. However, it's a culture shock when it comes to gossip amoung staff. Could do a better job, if the focus was primarily on the kids and not the staff, he say she say and folks and their personal lives.
Pros
Low key job
Cons
Unprofessionalism amoung staff interactions.
An okay place
Teacher 1 (Current Employee) –  Bartlett, TNJuly 13, 2017
My duties are not difficult it's just dealing with the children that can be stressful. I was basically the substitute teacher who's in the classroom everyday. My lead teacher gave me opportunities to teach different subject in her class and allowed me to implement different behavioral structures to help the students earn rewards for character building. Generally everyone is nice and pleasant to work with. However it has become very stressful because no one in leadership seems to be on the same page. It's like everybody is trying to save their job everyday by not getting in trouble which goes against the purpose of the job because we are supposed to save the children. I shouldn't have to feel replaceable and like my job is on the line with almost every decision I make. Also the company has taken away paid holidays for the teachers Assistants so to add more stress I can't get a day off unless I take it two weeks ahead and if there aren't 3 people off the same day because we are short staffed.
Pros
Adds experience in teaching and counseling, advancement opportunities, paid vacation, sick time
Cons
No paid holidays, management, job security
Just dont.
Therapeutic Foster Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Morristown, TNJuly 6, 2017
Terrible work environment. This could have been the location. I was expected to work 70-80 hours a week when promised 40-45 hours a week. No compensation for extra time worked and it wasn't optional.
Okay company
Night Monitor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 2, 2017
This company isn't bad just need better management. If this company become more organized I will reapply to work for this company. Very stabled and secured place to work.
Pros
Pays for school, have great benefits.
Cons
Need improvement on management.
Wonderful Training Opportunities and Experience
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCJuly 2, 2017
My time at Youth Villages has been very positive. I have received wonderful experience in this field and countless trainings and development. The toughest parts are the traveling and scheduling. Overall, I would recommend this to another individual seeking to work with children and families.
Don't work here. I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy.
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MAJune 27, 2017
This job comes off as very appealing, accommodating and wonderful but is none of the above. They trick you into thinking its a great job. Turnover rate is high and the management is below par. However, your co-workers will be great but moral is low. There is no longer staff appreciation and expectations are set way too high.

Good luck.
Pros
Friendship. Experience working with difficult youth and families.
Cons
Everything else.
Only there a few months.
Family Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, TNJune 24, 2017
The demands do not match the hours in the day. The workload was unrealistic. Seemed more like a numbers game than compassion. However, good experience.
Worst decision of my life
Behavioral Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 22, 2017
I worked for the company for almost 2 years and it was by far the worst decision I ever made. I missed out on so much of my life in that short time. Stress from the position eventually fostered anxiety. Everyone preaches work life balance but the requirements for the job make that impossible. Residential Teacher Counselors bare the brunt of the work load. They are not only required to work every holiday their time is then banked, but there is never enough staff to cover vacations. It was the most trying position of my life. It turned my desire to help into complete and utter disdain for the company and the people around me. There is a woman there That uses her looks to get ahead and then puts TC's and Supervisors in compromising situation that she will only cover herself in. Just apply for Counseling. Residential requires a special breed.
Pros
Volunteer visits
Cons
Constant stress, ridiculous expectations, constant policy changes
A decent job could be better.
Staff (Current Employee) –  MississippiJune 18, 2017
The job at youth villages is okay but it could be better if there was more support from leadership. Ans, if there was a real work life balance. Some of us work 50+ house a week and still have a ton of work to do once we return to the office the next week.
Pros
easy promotions, great conference
Cons
no support, long hours, low pay
You're basically a glorified chaperone
Teacher Counselor (Current Employee) –  Douglasville, GAJune 11, 2017
The management team is constantly looking for bodies to fulfill ratio purposes (one staff to five kids at all times.) The work environment is stressful and employees get burnt out very easily. My experience with my coworkers was mostly positive and my team is very supportive of each other, but this is not the case for all employees who work at Youth Villages. I had a good experience doing different forms of therapy with the kids.
Pros
Free lunches, Good experience
Cons
Rare breaks, Easy burnout, Stressful
productive work place
Teacher Counselor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 11, 2017
wonderful work place with serving people and having fun while doing. I learn to work hard for what you want out of life. Hardest part of the job is to work a whole full day.
Youth Villages
MST Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 8, 2017
YV is a company who focuses on ensuring that staff feel supported,very understanding of staffs personal lives with the common goal to impact families.
Pros
reinbursment is great, i enjoy the flexible schedule
Cons
inconsistnecy within the company, there is a lot of change, difficult to fire staff that are damaging to the company
Good experience, but at what cost?
Multi-Systemic Therapist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 8, 2017
One of the most stressful jobs ever. Work/life balance was non existent and expectations were unrealistic. Days were long and clients were complicated
Great work environment
Overnight Teacher Counselor/TFACTS Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 8, 2017
Great company to work with unfortunately there is no opportunity for advancement in my position currently. I have been employed with this company for 10 years. I have been trained in many areas. Hardest part of this job is to say goodbye. Most enjoyable part of this job is that i was apart of helping families live better together
Pros
helping others
Cons
no opportunity for advancement
Good entry-level job for new graduates in social service field!
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Meridian, MSJune 6, 2017
I would recommend this job to people that are graduating and do not have children. This job is alright for people who have children, but they must have a good, strong support system. You will gain a lot of experience while working on this job. I say, if youth can work her for two years or more, you can work anywhere.
Pros
Competitive salary, flexible work schedule
Cons
fast-paced, struggles with work-life balance
nOt a good place to work, management are crazy and will not help you get the kids to behave better
Teacher Counselor-Full time (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 3, 2017
I believe that management encourages these kids to act crazy as long as they can get paid for keeping them there. They make the teacher counselors job very difficult. They ensure the kids that there will be no discipline for their actions
Pros
you get an hour lunch
Cons
Management are crazy
Worst experience
Family Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNMay 31, 2017
I am an MSW with lots of experience & this was by far the worst job I've ever had. The supervision staff play politics every day. They do not have your back EVER. You are on-call ALL of the time; for example if you have a kid that runs away 2 counties over on a weeknight, you have to drive there and try to find them instead of calling the police. This place is the worst.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Fun and energetic palce to work
Overnight Teacher Counselor (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 24, 2017
Working for Youth villages there is no two days the same. It was a privilege and honor working with the youth in the community of Nashville. I was a key member of the support staff that enriched the lives of Nashville's youth.
Pros
Learning ans building young lives
Cons
rate of pay
Youth Villages
Teacher Counselor (Former Employee) –  Linden, TNMay 24, 2017
When you talk about working with adolescent males who have already established their at-risk status, it's never a dull moment. You have to be ready for anything.
unorganized
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, MAMay 23, 2017
I learned a lot working at this establishment but I don't feel like the girls were being helped. The needs of the girls were not being met I felt like it was about money. The staff was not as culturally aware nor understanding as they should have been and that harms the girls. I loved helping the girls and the girls love me because I listened and cared for them. You don't find many staff like that.
Pros
growth with the girls
Cons
unorganization and unprofessional staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Youth Villages. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4