Youth Villages Employee Reviews in United States

Love my job!
Family Intervention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cookeville, TNMarch 12, 2016
This company has awesome values and I am proud to be a part of this company. We put the families we serve first. There are decent benifit and you get paid mileage. Training is a constant. The staff and management is very supportive. The hardest part of the job is the long hours. If you have small children, this may not be the job for you. The best part is the difference we make for our families we serve and the office environment is very fun.
Pros
Mileage reembursement, decent benefits, and great coworkers!
Cons
Little work/life balance
Overall good place to work as long as the staff support/morale is high
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Bartlett, TNMarch 9, 2016
What I loved about Youth Villages is that the majority of the staff really cared about the kids and wanted them to live successfully including myself. Even after a long day at work and dealing with crisis all day. (you may have been hit, kicked, spit on, bit, done restraints and even had an injury) Most staff will still come in the next day with a positive attitude and if the other staff members did not have one, staff will support them on their bad day. What I did not like was some staff in leadership/management did not have the same concern that other staff had for the kids needs (Treating all youth the same) and being under appreciated. The hardest part of the job has been the hours especially the 16hour shifts without a break when become part of leadership and ensuring you are implementing self care cause the job can be stressful. The most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference in a youth's life and growing within the company.
Challenging yet satisfying work experience
FOOD SERVER AND HOUSEKEEPING (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 6, 2016
Working with the troubled youth of the city helped open new opportunities to be able to communicate and interact with people of multiple backgrounds.
Productive workplace
Supervisor Youth Behavioral Counselor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TN 38134March 3, 2016
A typical day at work is long and can be stressful. I have learned how to manage my time better and the importance of checking my emails daily. Great management team; willing to teach and work with their workers. Great co-workers that have god communication and good team work ethics. The hardest part of the job is adjusting to the hours of work. The most enjoyable part of the day is dealing with the youth.
Pros
Free meals, good benefits
Cons
Long hours, salary
Great Potential, but YV falls short.
BEHAVIOR SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 1, 2016
The job is rough. There are days I leave my house at 8:00am for a transport and do not return home until the next night at 11:15pm. These hours are simply expected of you. Saturday mornings I leave for work at 6:00am and do not return home until 7:00am Sunday. There is no work and home life balance. No flexible scheduling, and favoritism is an issue. Also the way other employees treat these children in horrid. They curse at them, they put bruises on them, humiliate them, and it is not a company I wish to be a part of it. I think it is a sinking ship, and CPS should do a full fledged investigation into the things taking place in their residential treatment facility.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Long hours, hostile work environment, etc.
Working with troubled youth
Teacher One (Current Employee) –  Bartlett, TNFebruary 24, 2016
It would be an excellent place to work if the youth had more beneficial consequences to their actions. Staff get attacked by youth entirely too much and it's ridiculous. Staff get paid too less to have to deal with some of the behaviors that are being dealt with.
Pros
healthcare, teamwork w/ co-workers
Cons
never get breaks, paid too less
Youth Villages Oregon
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 23, 2016
I worked at YV for six months as a residential teacher councilor. On the positive note: I liked working with the kids. These are kids who really need positive adult role models in their life. These are very troubled youth with very difficult behavior issues. Not for the faint at heart. The staff is great to work with: genuine, nice people with big hearts all around.

Aside from that YV is the most corrupt company I have ever come across. The reason the Portland facility closed is because of the mismanagement of the administration. The management ran this facility to the ground because of them. Staff were treated like trash. Staff would be severely injured: bitten, stabbed, urinated on, punched, kicked etc etc. every day. This is a hard job. I will give you that. But the reason behind all of this is simply understaffing and mismanagement. The ambulance system was up at YV at least once a week, treating beaten staff.

While staff was being injured and degraded, they were often punished for the actions of the clients.

Additionally, the entire facility is disgusting. It's dirty and insect infested. The clients were out of control and broke nearly everything in the facility.

YV broke every labor law known to man. They refused breaks. I never saw a break after working 15-17 hours a day. To add insult to injury they claim that eating with the kids at meal time is a break. When kids are throwing food at you, attacking you and breaking everyting.... that is not a break.

YV is everything that is wrong with residential treatment facilities. It is a good thing DHS shut
  more... them down when they did before someone got maimed or permanently disabled.  less
Pros
nice people
Cons
everything but the people
You can get a lot of experience in building maintenance.
Maintenance Technician/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bartlett, TNFebruary 23, 2016
I don't have anything positive or negative about the employees.
Working around the clients and helping them have a safe and comfortable living environment is a very satisfying job.
good place to learn
Behavioral Youth Counselor-Partime and Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 18, 2016
The Mental Health Case Manager is critical to achieving this focus by providing community support and care coordination to our clients. Omni Community Health employees are required to model the company’s mission, vision and values in the course of their employment.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Great entry level positions
LifeSet Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 11, 2016
Family oriented environment. Gain a lot of knowledge and experience. Great place to work for advancement. Hardworking positions.
fun workplace
Primary Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSFebruary 10, 2016
Family focused great place to work. The job keeps you busy and always thinking about how to help a family stay together and live successfully.
Family Oriented workplace
Lead Behavior Counselor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 9, 2016
I have learned many great leadership skills and have been fortunate to work with some amazing individuals. The experience I have working for this company I believe has propelled me to be able to work in any type of environment. I enjoy working with my current co-worker. I think the hardest part of my job is emotionally being abused on a daily basis with the challenging youth I deal with. I have learned many coping strategies as well as management tools while working for the company.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Job Security
Loved working with the families but low morale in regards to work environment
Family Intervention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TNJanuary 27, 2016
Not manageable with personal life. High stress work environment that resulted in low employee morale. The work demands in addition to hours required to work questioned employee rights. Supervision was great when able to schedule a meeting with a supervisor. Supervisors were very supportive and wanted you to succeed. Biggest reward was working directly with families and witnessing positive progress made towards treatment goals and stabilization within the family unit.
Excellent environment with supportive staff
Intern - Treatment Foster Care (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 10, 2016
In my short time as an undergraduate intern at Youth Villages, I came to better understand the many programs YV provided as well as how they significantly improve the lives of multiple individuals everyday. The staff and environment was incredibly supportive and good natured while also maintaining an appropriate amount of professionalism. The staff there helped me to develop my professional identity and find where I wanted to orient my professional life in the future. Leaving YV was difficult and I can only hope that I might have the opportunity to work and serve a community with them in the future.
Job was Great!
Certified Foster Parent (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 13, 2015
Certified Foster Parent with Department of Children's Services/Youth Villages as a therapeutic Foster Home
Offering Therapeutic foster care services to teenagers, toddlers, and infants in my home
Pros
Free lunches during trainings :)
Cons
Low Pay
Great place to move forward .
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Douglasville, GADecember 3, 2015
This job is a great place to work, the staff was respectful. The resources at this job available to me when I needed it. Everyone at this job seemed to be concerned with anything that I asked for.
Don't work here
OTC (Current Employee) –  Bartlett, TNDecember 1, 2015
Overworked and underpaid. Management and Director comes up with rules as they see fit. Staff must work 16 hour shifts or more if your team is short staff. Very high turnover rate. Never home with your family and when you are you're too tired to enjoy it. People come here straight out of college just to have experience on their resume- 6 months and they're gone.

Suppose to get a quarter raise yearly but that's false. You get between 10 and 19 cents...

This job sucks and the people here are just waiting on a phone call from another job.
They are not trying to help the youth. YV only Cares about collecting money from the state.
Pros
A little money to pay a bill
Cons
hours, Funky disruptive youth, no life, very little pay
Great Workplace!
Cottage Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bartlett, TNNovember 25, 2015
I work alongside excellent colleagues, and I'm lucky to have the support and guidance of great management team. I even enjoy the time I spend with youths that exhibit difficult behaviors to manage. I've learned the importance of teamwork and communication, which are two key factors to resolving problems and creating new ideas to make the program better.
Pros
Numerous activities for the staff be involved in
Favoritism!
Behavioral Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 23, 2015
This job is great when you can work with the kids but anything more than that is not as rewarding. The management at Dogwood campus show favoritism and only allow certain actions to come from people they enjoy the most.
Fun, challenging work environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 17, 2015
Data entry, daily phone calls, med passes, milieu notes, daily chores, medication appointments, off campus passes, parental visits etc. more detail on resume.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Youth Villages. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4