Youth Villages

Youth Villages Employee Reviews

I was able to develop into an effective therapist. Learn the role of leadership.
MYPAC Mental Health Therapist (Current Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSSeptember 8, 2015
The clinical team was supportive, engaging, and approachable. The environment was fast paced, but family oriented. The hardest part of the job was separating work for daily life. The most enjoyable part was the developmental trainings.
Pros
Opportunity to grow, develop, and promote
Cons
Excessive driving. Difficult to balance work and life
Great if you don't have other commitments
Family Intervention Specialist (Current Employee) –  IndianaSeptember 8, 2015
I have been working for the company for over 1 year now and can honestly say this has been the most stretching job that I've ever had. The hours are long, the paperwork is extensive (all online), and the demands are great. You are the jack of all trades and rarely get a break. I am an extremely diligent, organized person who works long hours just to get my paperwork in. The on-call really isn't that bad as long as you set boundaries with your clients. I have been burnt out on 3 different occasions now, but you really don't have time or opportunity to recuperate. If you don't have a family, go for it. Otherwise, be prepared for late nights of paperwork and unexpected due dates.
Pros
Great people to work with, experience in the field prior to licensure
Cons
Demanding, long hours, intense deadlines, minimal support
Do not waste your time!!!
Overnight Teacher Counselor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 2, 2015
I love my career choice and love working with children; however, the company is PURE BS when it comes to staff! They have the best interest at heart for the kids, but the staff gets burned out due to the unrealistic expectations. For example, work 16 hours (6:30a-10:30p) , spend the night, wake the kids for school at 6a the next day, complete "morning routine "( cleaning the cottages ) be at breakfast by 7 and leave for an appointment at 8. Now that appointment can take hours depending on where you're going. You get back to campus with the kid around 11a, drop them off to school aND only have a couple hours before your shift begins at 2 aND ends at 10:30p for $11 an hour That's legal slavery...Sleep deprivation and stress are the two mane problems you'll face with the company.
Pros
Cons
Underpaid, overworked, unappreciated, long hours, high turnover rates, 16 hour shifts without a break! Belittling
Great rewards working with at-risk youth
Group Home Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 25, 2015
As a Supervisor I've been able to learn about the importance of task completion, managing different social styles, creative planning and programing, staff retention, and implementing change to a struggling program.
Pros
Relaxed dress code, Close knit work relationships with co-workers and leadership, location
Cons
Work-Life Balance, lack of incentive programs
This was a positive environment to learn many tasks. It is a high pace type of work. It is extremely important to be organized and flexible.
Mental Health Therapist (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 24, 2015
I enjoyed working for Youth Villages and was able to learn and accomplish alot while I worked there. The staff and administration are very dedicated to their jobs and are open to helping new comers adjust to the fast pace environment. In this position, I travelled alot and was able to meet others in different positions throughtout the state of Mississippi.
Pros
There is reimbursement for travel and discounts for the cellular company you are with.
Cons
It can be demanding on time and may interfere with home life.
al right
family intervention specialist (Current Employee) –  boston, MAAugust 17, 2015
Its very hard to balance your life. Too much work. You meet great people and coworkers. a lot of help is provided but even with a non traditional schedule is hard to handle
Terrible
Night Monitor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 11, 2015
Management has poor people skills. Management watches cameras to set employees up. Management says employee will have weekends off, but won't. Management will write you up for no apparent reason. Pay rate is terrible, $9.00 per hour. Overall bad place to work. This is no place to work, definitely not a place to retire. Youth Villages has the right intention to help kids, but do not consider working here. Again, do not consider working here. You will only be wasting time. There are no pros, a million cons. I could go for days about the cons. Apply elsewhere.
Pros
Cons
The list wraps around the corner. >>>
No job/ life.balance. when I worked there, direct supervisor would not do sessions even when I was out.
Mental Health Therapist (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSAugust 7, 2015
If you like 18-20 sessions per week and probably 15 hours of paperwork (treatment plans and notes) 3 hrs of supervision personal, (which never happened ), group and ind supervision for clients mandstory training ib Jackson at least 2 -3 times a month, etc. I could go on but you may not believe every th ing. Good experience right out of grad school.
Pros
None in Ms
Cons
Long hours no apprecisation.
Great Benifits
Behavior Youth Counselor/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 5, 2015
Its a multicultural place. If a person likes to manage problem youth its a great company to gain experience. The benefits the staff and the stability is great.
Pros
Great benfits
Cons
Not so good hours
Great Advancement Opp.
Performance Improvement (Current Employee) –  Bartlett, TNAugust 4, 2015
Its a great work atmosphere and it has ample opportunity for you to grow. There are several jobs available to those willing to work.
Only great if you have no life
TLS (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJuly 30, 2015
You work 50+ hours per week. This is not including being on call 24 hours a day Monday-Friday and rotating weekends. I worked with a great crew, but upper management seems to forget that you get burnt out easy if all you do is work with little to no pay. You get paid below the national average for mileage or cell phone.
great place to build bonds and maintain them in a work environment.
Overnight Teacher Counselor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJuly 28, 2015
As an athlete for the university for two years there was a lot of great things that took place during my summer of employment. East Carolina is a great place to build lasting bonds and everyone is all for group dynamics and seeing others succeed.
Needs improvement
Behavior Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Douglassville, gaJuly 21, 2015
The job was rewarding in the fact that it provided a therapeutic environment for youth. However, the company did not do a good job of taking care of the direct care employees (behavior youth counselors) that worked closely with the youth. There were many occasions in which the employees did not receive the entitled Ga mandated break ( at least 15 minutes)..

There were also times in which the direct care employees vacation time was denied and the supervisors were allowed to do or go on as many vacations as they pleased.

Many times, the direct care staff had to sacrifice personal issues or happenings to be at work.. There is an all or nothing mentality and a mentality that "one is easily replaceable"

IF you want to work at Youth Villages at Inner Harbour, I suggest working in an administrative position or a supervisor position, however, the Behavior Youth Counselors are not treated fairly.

Also, try other Youth Villages facilities in other states, I am pretty sure they are ran a little different.
Pros
Working with the youth
Cons
No breaks, long hours, no support system
unrealistic expectations
Primary Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MSJuly 19, 2015
Having worked with this company for two years now, I have finally discovered that it is not possible to preform to the written expectations. I dedicate my all to everything I do. I want to perform at the highest standard possible. This is impossible to do at this company. I have been given expectations that they expect I can not complete. I feel as though they are setting me up for failure. If you don't mind "getting away with what you can" then this would be a great job for you. I can't give "good enough", I give my best. I love the coworkers but the upper management and HR couldn't care less about you, your performance, or the well being of the youth that we work with. As long as the I's or dotted and the T's are crossed in order to receive payment from the state they are happy.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Work 12-15 hours a day, pay is not nearly enough for the job you do, upper management has no clue as to what you do but still tells you how to do it.
YV
Manager on Duty/ Night Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Bartlett, TNJuly 15, 2015
Youth Villages is a good company to work for. You have to be dedicated to the work and the purpose of the company. Burnout is almost common place however especially if you work within the Residential portion of the company.
somewhat stressful
Job Duties- Transitional Living Counselor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, TNJuly 14, 2015
Very Stressful and have to be oncall. Lots of hours spend at home and you are on salary so those hours are not really paid for. Have to cover for other people freaquently.
Rewarding Experience
AmeriCorps National Service Member (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GAJuly 11, 2015
Life changing! Great staff and diverse youth. Challenging work and experience with behavior, emotionally, and mentally challenged youth. Rewarding and impactful!
Pros
Challenging, Benefits, AmeriCorps
Cons
Exercise :)
rewarding job
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 9, 2015
Working for Youth Villages helped me to discover my passion for working with juveniles and allowed me the opportunity to learn different techniques that can be utilized to help juveniles diminish their antisocial behaviors and perspectives.
Pros
interacted with children on daily basis and took them on outings
Cons
long work hours
Never a dull moment and supports returning Vets
Youth Crisis Counselor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 18, 2015
I will always love Youth Villages! I appreciate all the experience, friends and connections I made while working with this company. I really appreciated the support I received from this company while I was deployed and serving my country. I was welcomed back to work once I returned home without any problems.
Great Proffessional Development
Overnight Teacher Counselor (Current Employee) –  Linden, TNJune 5, 2015
The job was great and the management was very helpful. The company believes in promoting within the company. They also help to mold you professionally so that whether you stay or go youve gained valuable tools that you can take anywhere.