Youth Villages United States Employee Reviews

Not at all what it is cracked up to be!!!!
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee), Memphis,TNJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: youth
Cons: management, distorted values, everything that can be found wrong in an organization exists here.
YV, I'm sure at one time was all about the youth, its sad to say that, that isn't the main concern anymore.
Love for children
night monitor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 15, 2015
Working at youth villages was both challenging and fun! The staff was always "on top of the game" while the live in residents were always "ready" to challenge the staff! A true love for all types of children was definitely required and that was what made the job more challenging! Threats, misuse of language, fights, etc are typical to break out but thankfully I was always stern with the residents and never had many issues. Hardest part of the job was "Night" which is when the job was yet once I adjusted I was just fine!
Counselor (Former Employee), AlabamaJanuary 8, 2015
There is no typical work day at YV. There is always something new going on and several criticals. There is a lack of support from higher authority. The co-worker with the same job title as myself were the only support that I felt like I had. The hardest part of the job s the paperwork and the most enjoyable is working with the children.
Positive, caring work provided to famlies in need
Primary Service Coordinator 3 (Current Employee), Jackson, MSJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: free room stays at conference, free parties, mileage
Cons: last minute changes
On a daily basis, it was my responsibility see the families 1-2 times a week. Upon the visit with each family, I assessed the strategies and tasks that the team developed for each member. The progress was measured each session. Youth Villages is a team. The team works close with one another and is always there to assist when needed. The hardest part of the job is getting adjusted to last minute changes while maintaining the work load in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of this job are coming together by having parties, and attending the employee conference.
Productive and fun work enviroment
Teacher One (Current Employee), Memphis, TNDecember 21, 2014
A typical day at work would be a with no crisis with kids. Everyday in my work environment you learn different obstacles different youth face. Once building a relationship with you they open up and communicate more. My co-workers and mangers are the best wouldn't ask for a better group of people to work we all are like one big family. The most enjoyable part of job is just knowing that you are able to change a life.
A company that has a lot of room to grow & move a U want me to let you know when I'm leaving round.
Family Counselor/MST Consultant (Current Employee), Pinehurst, NCDecember 12, 2014
Pros: great company, yv supports staff (with exception of financial ), very flexible, you learn mst, a lot of room to grow & mi've around
Cons: very low pay, mileage reimbursement is awfully low, a lot of paperwork, & extremely demanding
I'm a MST counselor in NC. This is a very demanding job that barely pays a living wage. Those are my 2 biggest problems. A lot of paperwork; to the point you feel like you can't be therapeutic or effective due to all the required monthly paperwork. .on top of weekly treatment plans. Mileage reimbursement is horribly low as well. I love the team I work with & my supervisor. I'd love to stay at YV & retire from here; unfortunately, I'll probably end up looking & finding another job so I can afford to live. It's sad when employees can't afford to eat, pay bills & everyone is struggling. I'd stay at YV if they paid what I was worth; however, due to the extremely low pay (I made this amount 15 years ago!), way below government standards for mileage, I'll end up leaving. The work culture is phenomenal!
Always an opportunity for growth
Pre-Admissions Counselor (Current Employee), Concord, NCDecember 1, 2014
I love the company I work for. The work load is pretty tough, but i have been able to find my balance and have maintained with the company for 6.5 years. I love the goals and the ambition the company has to grow.
Amazing organization
Youth Nigh Monitor (Former Employee), Nashville, TNNovember 20, 2014
I loved working here. The job was very fulfilling, working directly with underserved youth. My coworkers were dedicated and great team players. The job was demanding yet worth every moment.
A COMPLETE WASTE OF MY TIME!!!
Behavioral Youth Counselor (Former Employee), Bartlett, TNNovember 6, 2014
Pros: no pros
Cons: very low salary, risks of being assaulted, lack of professionalism, to many black folks in one setting, very high turn over rate
If you are thinking about applying for a job with youth villages campus especially in the Memphis,TN area please beware. Management and the overall company has a huge lack of professionalism. They give you the run around won't answer direct questions or concerns.

They also practice workplace discrimination to the fullest. They offered me a position but based on conflicting information regarding my background deemed me an undesirable candidate. Thing is I didn't fit the criteria and was suppose to given a chance.I got fired before I was officially hired! I was given the run around. I found myself depressed and stressed to the max before even stepping in as an employee.

Don't believe the hype! Overall, YV has a bad rep. and I saw this first hand through my own eyes...believe me. These people are robots, highly trained "lying robots" at that!

RUN FOR THE HILLS!!! THEY ACTUALLY DID ME A FAVOR :-)
Great place to work for if you want to help children
Counselor (Former Employee), Douglasville, GAOctober 25, 2014
Pros: children
Cons: communication
a typical day at work is drama, learned to have lots of patience, management is pretty good but some improvements are need with communication, Co workers a good, hardest part of the job is it can get very emotional at times, the most enjoyable is being able to be a part of seeing a child progress in beating the odds.
Placing kids needs first
Residential Coordinator (Current Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 23, 2014
work 40 hour weeks
Work in a team environment
Hands on training
Open door policy
Enjoy working with the youth
Great learning experience working with different emotions
senior teacher counselor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 21, 2014
Pros: days off in a row, eat free
Cons: stressful, disrespect, work hours
overall youth villages was enjoyable, stressful, and a learning experience all at the same time. As a teacher counselor i learned about the company goals, values, and there mission with youth are better raised by their parents. building leadership skills and learning new ways to engage the staff and youth using new methods of fun learning.
TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE PLACE to work
Behavioral Youth Counselor (Former Employee), Douglassville GAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: a few good staff
Cons: everything else
I worked at Youth Villages in Douglassville , and thank God I got another job. First of all they make you go through two weeks of propaganda to make you believe your suffering at this job is worth it. They place kids who are literally psychotic in programs that are supposed to be for "high fucntioning" along side kids who are not as mentally impaired which makes for a powder Keg of aggression. I worked in a program that was supposed to be for "high fucntioning" males but in reality it was literally psychiatric ward. All this place cares about is filling the beds. They make staff do mountains of paper work to make it look like on paper that they are in compliance with state regulations. In reality it is just a smoke screen. YV cannot keep good staff because the pay is in no way equitable to the work. If you want high stress job with extremely low pay and even lowermoral amongst the employees work here. Lastly 90% of the people working there are actively looking for a new job!
productive, unpredictable
Family Counselor (Former Employee), Johnson City, TNOctober 14, 2014
Great teamwork but enjoy my experience here, a very difficult job but learn alot.
Job advancement
Health Information Management Supervisor (Current Employee), Bartlett, TNOctober 13, 2014
Worked here about 8 years and there were many ups and downs but overall a good place to work and most of the people there were good hard working people.
It's a productive company and always room for growth
Teacher Counselor (Team Lead) (Current Employee), Douglasville, GAOctober 11, 2014
Pros: i help youth everyday i'm a listening ear a role model
Supervision of youth,and Emergency Safety Interventions (ESI)by using Crisis Prevention Intervention(CPI).Direct the staff in the performance of variety of therapeutic experiences individualized for residents and the performance of supportive record keeping functions
Lack care and professionalism
Assistant Night Supervisor (Former Employee), Bartlett, TNSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: working quiet evenings/ nights/ educational assistance
Cons: over worked, underpaid, high retention rates
The typical day of work is very long and stressful especially if the youth are out of control. There is a lack of structure support especially at the GCIRT and management has no clue how to drive effective leaders. The co-workers aren't merely the problem within this particular environment. I am lead to believe that other environments outside of this center has a better style of leadership but overall it still lack consistency, professionalism, support, and respect of employees by sharing the true value of employees. I am most enjoyed about the fact that I no longer work there and I enjoyed the youth who were truly striving to reach their treatment and be a success.
Good place to work.
Overnight Teacher Counselor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNSeptember 27, 2014
•Serve as a resource, community builder, mediator, crisis manager, mentor, and programmer for social and educational programs
•Conduct duty rounds and perform various administrative tasks
•Work with all male and co-educational populations
zero home/work balance
Specialist (Former Employee), Nashville, TNSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: friendly co-workers, okay pay for social work
Cons: long hours in the field followed by hours doing paperwork once you are home
The mission of the agency is great and they are committed to their goals. The position is overwhelming due to the long hours and unmanageable paperwork. There is lack of home/work balance as supervisors will contact you on weekends to complete tasks and text you early before the work day begins.

The time spent with families is truly rewarding and with this position you do have the ability to made a difference. It will give you good out of college experience.
productive with the youth
Behavior Youth Counselor/Supervisor (Current Employee), Memphis, TNSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: free lunch, benifits, helping the youth
Cons: long hours
on a typical day i encourage the youth to want to become better in life. i learned so much from these children because a lot of the youth comes from really bad backgrounds. i like trying to make their chances better in life. the hardest thing about this job is that the kids dont always respond the way that you would think that they should but mostly everythings usually works out ok. I have a really good team working with me. and that really makes the day go by better.

About Youth Villages

Youth Villages has spent 25 years pioneering an approach that is measurably better for children and their families and provides – Read more

Youth Villages Salaries