Youth Villages Employee Reviews

Very easy job
Overnight Teacher Counselor (Former Employee), memphis, TNFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: hours
You will get a chance to work with great ppl. If you work hard and are honest you will get promoted. There is a lot of OT to be made
Love this company and what they do.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Linden, TNFebruary 2, 2015
I learned so much from working with all the different people. I was certified in CPR and CPI through my training here. I like that fact that you can work extra time if you want to. I loved working with all the different kids. And the location was beautiful.
"Youth can do well if they can".... and if they want to YV-Lake Oswego
Office Assistant and Teacher Counselor (Former Employee), Lake Oswego, ORJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: lunch inc.
Cons: abusive clients, minimal aid, and always turn over, had people quit within a week of starting.
A typical day at work:
Used to work swing shift, I believe this is the best shift because you are with your shift partner the "entire" time. The company doesn't give breaks due to the food they feed you, previously unaccommodating for staff allergies, several times though through out the shift and during food hours the clients will leave creating the inability to actually eat food.
For swing you work a double on either sat or sun with one hour actual break. Many times we end up doing shift notes during that period because we want to get out at 10:30pm instead of 12-130a.
This job teaches you to be patient with staff and kids, if you have a personal bubble be prepared it will shrink on this job. The youth have difficulties with boundaries, and you tend to be really close any way. Which can be a bad thing when the kids are physically, verbally and emotionally aggressive and abusive towards staff and other clients. PTSD can be resulted, counseling services are provided with extensive pursuit of inquiring of them.
I do appreciate the youth especially when they have "ah-ha" moments. Overall this is not a job for the weak (physical or mental) be prepared to stay there 2+hrs over your time to be out. Shifts are between 8-13hrs extra long shifts are 16-18hrs.
This job teaches patience and strength. Management is decent, but minimal things are done to get employees out on time.

Not entirely sure the success rate. Use of collaborative problem solving as of lately (2014) most youths cognitive functioning are lower.

"Youth can do well if they can".... and if they want to.
Good position but no career
Family Intervention Specialist (Former Employee), Morristown, TNJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: rewarding work, support from co-workers
Cons: low work/life balance, constant travel, on-call
This is the perfect position to get behavioral health/community outreach experience under one's belt...for about a year. After said year, one needs to decide if this is truly the position for them. This writer will not elaborate on the nature of the work, except to say that it can be and often is mentally draining and emotionally exhausting, but can also be some of the most rewarding work one can do.
Teacher Counselor (Former Employee), Memphis TNJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: they provided paid holidays and paid vacation time and the employees were like family.
Cons: there were no opportunities for raises.
At this job we were responsible for the children housed there. They basically couldn't get up and go to the rest room without asking permission from the staff. I had to deal with children that respected to you and children that wanted to fight adults.
Not at all what it is cracked up to be!!!!
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee), Memphis,TNJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: youth
Cons: management, distorted values, everything that can be found wrong in an organization exists here.
YV, I'm sure at one time was all about the youth, its sad to say that, that isn't the main concern anymore.
Love for children
night monitor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 15, 2015
Working at youth villages was both challenging and fun! The staff was always "on top of the game" while the live in residents were always "ready" to challenge the staff! A true love for all types of children was definitely required and that was what made the job more challenging! Threats, misuse of language, fights, etc are typical to break out but thankfully I was always stern with the residents and never had many issues. Hardest part of the job was "Night" which is when the job was yet once I adjusted I was just fine!
Counselor (Former Employee), AlabamaJanuary 8, 2015
There is no typical work day at YV. There is always something new going on and several criticals. There is a lack of support from higher authority. The co-worker with the same job title as myself were the only support that I felt like I had. The hardest part of the job s the paperwork and the most enjoyable is working with the children.
Positive, caring work provided to famlies in need
Primary Service Coordinator 3 (Current Employee), Jackson, MSJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: free room stays at conference, free parties, mileage
Cons: last minute changes
On a daily basis, it was my responsibility see the families 1-2 times a week. Upon the visit with each family, I assessed the strategies and tasks that the team developed for each member. The progress was measured each session. Youth Villages is a team. The team works close with one another and is always there to assist when needed. The hardest part of the job is getting adjusted to last minute changes while maintaining the work load in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of this job are coming together by having parties, and attending the employee conference.
Productive and fun work enviroment
Teacher One (Current Employee), Memphis, TNDecember 21, 2014
A typical day at work would be a with no crisis with kids. Everyday in my work environment you learn different obstacles different youth face. Once building a relationship with you they open up and communicate more. My co-workers and mangers are the best wouldn't ask for a better group of people to work we all are like one big family. The most enjoyable part of job is just knowing that you are able to change a life.
A company that has a lot of room to grow & move a U want me to let you know when I'm leaving round.
Family Counselor/MST Consultant (Current Employee), Pinehurst, NCDecember 12, 2014
Pros: great company, yv supports staff (with exception of financial ), very flexible, you learn mst, a lot of room to grow & mi've around
Cons: very low pay, mileage reimbursement is awfully low, a lot of paperwork, & extremely demanding
I'm a MST counselor in NC. This is a very demanding job that barely pays a living wage. Those are my 2 biggest problems. A lot of paperwork; to the point you feel like you can't be therapeutic or effective due to all the required monthly paperwork. .on top of weekly treatment plans. Mileage reimbursement is horribly low as well. I love the team I work with & my supervisor. I'd love to stay at YV & retire from here; unfortunately, I'll probably end up looking & finding another job so I can afford to live. It's sad when employees can't afford to eat, pay bills & everyone is struggling. I'd stay at YV if they paid what I was worth; however, due to the extremely low pay (I made this amount 15 years ago!), way below government standards for mileage, I'll end up leaving. The work culture is phenomenal!
Always an opportunity for growth
Pre-Admissions Counselor (Current Employee), Concord, NCDecember 1, 2014
I love the company I work for. The work load is pretty tough, but i have been able to find my balance and have maintained with the company for 6.5 years. I love the goals and the ambition the company has to grow.
Amazing organization
Youth Nigh Monitor (Former Employee), Nashville, TNNovember 20, 2014
I loved working here. The job was very fulfilling, working directly with underserved youth. My coworkers were dedicated and great team players. The job was demanding yet worth every moment.
A COMPLETE WASTE OF MY TIME!!!
Behavioral Youth Counselor (Former Employee), Bartlett, TNNovember 6, 2014
Pros: no pros
Cons: very low salary, risks of being assaulted, lack of professionalism, to many black folks in one setting, very high turn over rate
If you are thinking about applying for a job with youth villages campus especially in the Memphis,TN area please beware. Management and the overall company has a huge lack of professionalism. They give you the run around won't answer direct questions or concerns.

They also practice workplace discrimination to the fullest. They offered me a position but based on conflicting information regarding my background deemed me an undesirable candidate. Thing is I didn't fit the criteria and was suppose to given a chance.I got fired before I was officially hired! I was given the run around. I found myself depressed and stressed to the max before even stepping in as an employee.

Don't believe the hype! Overall, YV has a bad rep. and I saw this first hand through my own eyes...believe me. These people are robots, highly trained "lying robots" at that!

RUN FOR THE HILLS!!! THEY ACTUALLY DID ME A FAVOR :-)
Great place to work for if you want to help children
Counselor (Former Employee), Douglasville, GAOctober 25, 2014
Pros: children
Cons: communication
a typical day at work is drama, learned to have lots of patience, management is pretty good but some improvements are need with communication, Co workers a good, hardest part of the job is it can get very emotional at times, the most enjoyable is being able to be a part of seeing a child progress in beating the odds.
Placing kids needs first
Residential Coordinator (Current Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 23, 2014
work 40 hour weeks
Work in a team environment
Hands on training
Open door policy
Enjoy working with the youth
Great learning experience working with different emotions
senior teacher counselor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 21, 2014
Pros: days off in a row, eat free
Cons: stressful, disrespect, work hours
overall youth villages was enjoyable, stressful, and a learning experience all at the same time. As a teacher counselor i learned about the company goals, values, and there mission with youth are better raised by their parents. building leadership skills and learning new ways to engage the staff and youth using new methods of fun learning.
TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE PLACE to work
Behavioral Youth Counselor (Former Employee), Douglassville GAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: a few good staff
Cons: everything else
I worked at Youth Villages in Douglassville , and thank God I got another job. First of all they make you go through two weeks of propaganda to make you believe your suffering at this job is worth it. They place kids who are literally psychotic in programs that are supposed to be for "high fucntioning" along side kids who are not as mentally impaired which makes for a powder Keg of aggression. I worked in a program that was supposed to be for "high fucntioning" males but in reality it was literally psychiatric ward. All this place cares about is filling the beds. They make staff do mountains of paper work to make it look like on paper that they are in compliance with state regulations. In reality it is just a smoke screen. YV cannot keep good staff because the pay is in no way equitable to the work. If you want high stress job with extremely low pay and even lowermoral amongst the employees work here. Lastly 90% of the people working there are actively looking for a new job!
productive, unpredictable
Family Counselor (Former Employee), Johnson City, TNOctober 14, 2014
Great teamwork but enjoy my experience here, a very difficult job but learn alot.
Job advancement
Health Information Management Supervisor (Current Employee), Bartlett, TNOctober 13, 2014
Worked here about 8 years and there were many ups and downs but overall a good place to work and most of the people there were good hard working people.

About Youth Villages

Youth Villages has spent 25 years pioneering an approach that is measurably better for children and their families and provides – Read more

Youth Villages Salaries