Youth Villages

Youth Villages Employee Reviews

Regional Supervisor (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 4, 2015
Pros: good benefits, pay is good
Cons: a lot of work
Hard working and productive. The company is a good company to work for. Good supervision and feedback from all levels. I have learned about good follow through, structure, supervision and team work.
OTC
Behavior Youth Counselor (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMay 3, 2015
Youth Villages is a wonderful company to work for straight from college. The ability to advance is amazing. The frustration that I have is the work/life balance. Working either weekend day is tiring and there is little room for schedule change. Therefore taking time off is slightly difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job is working in direct care with the youth. They are always in the mood to do something and there is never a dull moment.
All about the money ( no matter the cost of the kids)
Intercept (Former Employee), TNApril 29, 2015
Pros: Coworkers, milage checks
Cons: Middle and Upper management, unrealistic work/life balance, unprofessionalism.
I worked at the company for 6 months, no write ups or disciplinary issues. I left due to HORRIBLE middle managers who acted as though the job was Jr. High school when it came to cliquish behavior and clueless upper management who are more about billing than the front line employees.

The pay for a Masters begins at 32K ( 34K after 6 months) and you will earn every penny. Youth Villages policy is that you are a light bulb....they don't try to do anything but replace you once you begin to burn out. On call 24/5 ( 24/7 if you are scheduled for weekends). They overwork the staff and middle managers are primed to "tattle" on any concerns you bring to them rather than help you them since the company recently changed policy so that Masters degrees are required to become middle managers and up ( and nearly 65% of the current middle managers have Bachelors....think they want you to be a shining star?...NOT!)

Unless you are desperate? Run away. If you are desperate? Keep your head down, get experience and shop for jobs as fast as possible. This is NOT a job for someone with family or a relationship where you need a lot of time with them. Typical day is 10+ hours for front line employees ( and there isn't any overtime) due to lots of driving and being unable to fill out the mounds of paperwork when you're on the road for 3-4 hours a day. On the plus side? The mileage checks are nice.
demanding but can be rewarding. Not for everyone.
Teacher Counselor (Current Employee), Memphis, TNApril 26, 2015
Pros: free food, good relationship building with coworkers, good benefits
Cons: Not enough pay for work, political, not being appreciated or recognized for what work is done.
The actual work can be demanding and hard but worth it. The job is extremely political. Emotionally and physically draining. The job is not how it is advertised.
Great company to work for
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee), Greenwood, MSApril 18, 2015
A great company to work for especially if you would like advancement. They are an evidenced based company and believe in training staff.
Great place to work with a family atmosphere and fun environment!
Program Manager (Current Employee), Douglasville, GAApril 17, 2015
Leadership is invested in the organization and staff
Co-workers are much life family
Enjoy changing the lives of the youth we serve
Work Load Issues
Foster-Care Counselor, Level 3 (Former Employee), Morristown, TNApril 17, 2015
Pros: Free food occasionally
Cons: Pay out of pocket for all work related expenses, such as drug test and intervention needs.
Management required staff to work weekends, transport children over 6 hours away from the office, and often threatened staff wit being written up if all work wasn't completed. Staff were required to sit with youth and Tx parents while waiting for CRISIS to arrive which could be as late as 3am. Staff were still required to complete their daily work and sessions on the following day. Upper management was not in the loop when it came to time requirements for each case, paperwork and additional requirements.

Youth, staff and Tx parents were a pleasure to work with.
Very hands own exerience with children with mutiple personalities.
Youth counselor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNApril 8, 2015
Pros: Free lunch, Trips, and leisure time
Cons: Abusive language, aggressive children
The time spent at Youth Villages was a great experience for me. It taught me how to deal with different people and different personalities at once. I also learned how to be a great team worker with good communication skills. The hardest part of the job was when the children got off task. It can get out of hand very quick working with mentally ill children. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching the children life skills.
No Way, No One Should Work At Youth Villages!!!! Poor Kids!!
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMarch 29, 2015
Pros: weekends off
Cons: bad management
Youth Villages staff don't protect you, they protect themselves, so people who are thinking of working there,BEWARE!!! The kids don't have proper supervision, they are being molested by employees, and the turn out is terrible because of this. They pay very low for the services they require, and for some, they're not allowed to work overtime.I didn't have many problems with the kids, because kids will be kids, and I knew most of them are just angry about the situation their in. The staff is not friendly, they are seperated by groups, and if your not a part of the group the principle in, you're expendable. Guess I should have been in that group, lol. I resigned because I had a feeling they was trying to get rid of me, and no one should feel that type of pressure from a job they have been working for years, especially dealing with hormonal teenagers. I would not recommend working there, you will not make it six months, and if you do, it''ll be by the grace of God!! Good day!!
Youth Villages as a company is a great place to work
Transitional Living Specialist (Current Employee), HattiesburgMSMarch 19, 2015
Pros: the pay is good compared to other companies
Cons: the work life balance is a struggle
I was a Transitional Living Specialist
I equipped youths and young adults with natural& community resources and interpersonal skills to live independently I also assisted youths and young adults with employment acquisition skill, money management skills and other vital life skills needed to live successfully. I loved this job.
great job
Clinical Therapist (Former Employee), Arlington, TNMarch 19, 2015
Loved this job, great people to work for, ran the company well and cared about their employees a lot. Just left because of relocation.
Excellent team
Emergency Safety Interventionist (Current Employee), Lake Oswego, ORMarch 8, 2015
While working at Youth Villages is challenging because of the clientele that are served, the staff and management are phenomenal. Supervisors legitimately care about the staff and work to support them in their positions and as well as in their long term career goals. It is a good place to work and stay long term because you will advance, you will grow, and you will make a difference in the world.
Making a difference in the lives of troubled youth
Behavioral Counselor (Current Employee), Linden, TNFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: benefits, being a positive role model for the troubled youth and making a difference in young children's lives
Cons: unstructured and unorganized scheduling, no personal/work life balance.
I go through daily life skills with highly emotional disturbed children. I am someone they look up to, however it is a daily battle helping them control their emotions and feelings in appropriate/safe ways. It can become extremely stressful (emotionally and physically) because my shift usually goes from 12pm-11:15pm daily. However, it can be an extremely rewarding job making a difference in the lives of the troubled youth.
For those considering the in-home therapy work: Prepare to be busy
Intercept Family Preservation Specialist (Former Employee), Miami, FLFebruary 17, 2015
This job requires being single and available, since you will be on-call 24/5 (and occasionally 24/7 if you're scheduled weekend on-call). The pay is typical starting pay for Masters level clinicians $34,000, and an extra 2k if you're bilingual. Some would say that's meager, but I know other businesses that will start you at 29,000.

A typical day involves reviewing your scheduled sessions, driving to south Miami from house to house to see each client for 2 hours or more. Your caseload will be 4 clients with an expectation of 6 client hours for per family.

You will be working with clients who do not want to work with you, but feel coerced to by DCF. These are first or second allegation families who are at risk of going to court and losing their children. Before the investigation ends, they enter a contract with Youth Villages and promise to give up 6 hours of their life to therapy for 15 weeks. Even if the findings are inconclusive or they are innocent of allegations, they signed the contract so "oh well".

Since you'll be doing around 24 hours of therapy per week, you can expect the paperwork will be grueling and that you will work an average of 45 hours per week. There is no overtime, and you will forget dinner that's been cold since you got home at 7 or 8pm.

Forget stable relationships, friendships and going out. If you want client hours of licensure, this is the job for you!
Working with a team
Foster Care Counselor (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNFebruary 16, 2015
Youth Villages focuses on working with a team. Majority of the work you do will be team focused. Although there is a lot of work involved you have team mates you can rely on to help you through rough patches and are willing to encourage ands support you.
Worst Place I have EVER been employed
Family Counselor (Former Employee), Dickson, TNFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: not having to stay in the office all the time
Cons: unprofessional management
YV has to be one of the worst places I have ever worked. Myself and another co-worker experienced what I felt like was reverse discrimination (because we were older white females) from our manager. She was MEAN and was constantly berating my work even though she was less qualified than I was with less education and experience. I was terrified of her and at times felt like she wanted to physically hit me! I felt like she hated me and therefore my work would never be good enough. The time spend on doing their ridiculous "notes" just to justify reimbursement left you spending all your time on that aspect of the job.I feel as if they do the children and families no good and they are just taking the state's money. Working with this population has to be the saddest environment I have ever experienced and even if you wanted to help them, you do not receive the support needed from the upper management.
Good company, no personal life
Foster Care Counselor (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNFebruary 8, 2015
Great company to work for with a good vision... "A force for families." That's true, but not your family or your private life.
Very difficult place to work
Behavioral Youth Counselor (Former Employee), Bartlett, TNFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: free meals
Cons: low pay, highly stressful atmosphere, lack of support from management
I would not recommend working at Youth Villages to anyone. The hours are horrible and there is not much support from management. The kids completely lack discipline and I feel that this organization does not really want to help these children do well and succeed. The pay is horrible for the amount of work that you do. It is not a very professional place.
Very easy job
Overnight Teacher Counselor (Former Employee), memphis, TNFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: hours
You will get a chance to work with great ppl. If you work hard and are honest you will get promoted. There is a lot of OT to be made
Love this company and what they do.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Linden, TNFebruary 2, 2015
I learned so much from working with all the different people. I was certified in CPR and CPI through my training here. I like that fact that you can work extra time if you want to. I loved working with all the different kids. And the location was beautiful.