Youth Villages

Youth Villages Employer Reviews

stressful
family interventionist (Former Employee), jackson tnFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: ability to schedule personal appointments around work schedule
Cons: everthing
I've done case management for 20 years. I thought this job was what I wanted since my masters in counseling. Worst mistake of my life.
A typical work day
Teacher Counselor (Current Employee), Douglasville, GAFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: helping youths to gain skills that allows them a second chance
Cons: sleeping through the daylight hours
A typical day at work start with taking inventory of the census and collecting passdown information from previous shift. I learned what my strenghts are for instance and areas I can work to gain strenght. The management are extremely helpful and knowledgable of the job percedures. I have the best of the not so best co-workers I can count on to have – more... my back. The most differcult part of my job is remained to be seen. – less
Making sure youth are on task at all time .
Night Monitor/ Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Memphis, TNFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: free lunch, paid holidays
Cons: work schedule not flexible
Typical at work is pretty routine since school is in session and activities are already planned by Teachers, Counselors, and program Managers. I've learned to expect the unexpected .Some managers are good at what they do but quite a few just use the title to mistreat workers. Co- workers theirs not a lot of team work between a lot of the co- workers.
Office Manager (Former Employee), Jackson, MSFebruary 20, 2014
The hardest part of the job- there wasn't enough work to keep you busy.
Enhjoyable
Overnight Teacher/Counselor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNFebruary 12, 2014
Enjoyable learning experience within the company. Leaned many skills
awful organization
residential supervisor (Former Employee), boston maFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: youll meet other cool young adults who got duped into working here
Cons: everything else. hours, pay, physical risk, emotional abuse
This place will run you into the ground. The pay is absolutely horrific and the demands of the job are insane.
awful
Behavioral Youth Counselor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNFebruary 6, 2014
This was the worst place I've ever worked. Management is terrible, and they're never involved with the youth. Easy to move into a supervisor role because the turnover is so poor.
Exciting, growing company
Supervisor (Former Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: you have the opportunity to make a real difference for children and their families.
Cons: the work is demanding and often difficult.
This is a dedicated bunch of people working to make a positive on children and families at risk.
Great Job
Overnight Teacher Counselor (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: great experience
Cons: pay scale
The job is great if you have a desire to help troubled youth. It can be a easy laid back type of environment if you are willing to go that extra mile.
Hard work, little appreciation, terrible middle management.
Various (Current Employee), TennesseeJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: the realization that you don't have to work there.
Cons: cons? con artists? that would be middle and upper management.
Work in any part of YV is wrought with terrible middle management who are concerned only with the bottom line and making sure that you turn in ridiculous amounts of pointless documentation. As an employee you will be mistreated, threatened, forced into situations that you are not comfortable with and feel are a danger to your health and well being. – more... It should be said though that there are good people in this company but they are few and far between and often railroaded by those sitting in middle management with little to no experience in actually counseling or working with the public. Policies abound and rarely make sense. Honestly you are working endlessly at a job where you are paid little, but reassured because you work for a non-profit, even if the CEO is turning well into 6 digits. Honestly no-one is helped by the work done in most of the programs, they are not better for having in-home services visiting them, or for residing in a group home, or seeing a crisis counselor. It is a painfully pointless existence to stomach. – less
When they say they are positive company...believe me..they will beat you over the head with it!!
Senior Intervention Specialist (Former Employee), IndianaDecember 29, 2013
Pros: supportive co-workers who attempt to take care of each other, consutants provide great clinical knowledge.
Cons: yv is an orginazation believes strongly in micromanagment, employees are never allowed to make any decisions, no time off, unrealistic work schedules, at least 15 hours of paperwork each week, 6 1/2 hours of training or meeting each week
I loved working with the families that we support and providing great services to those families. Unfortunately, it comes at the cost of our own family and our outside life. I typicaly worked 55-60 hours each week and my paperwork was always on time. I left the orginazation on good terms and consider many of the current employees friends. What you will – more... quickly learn and will be told in training is "you can never be negative." If you question, disagree, need to vent or simply having a bad day then you had better not come in contact with any managment. In the office I worked in we were discouraged from talking to each other outside of the office. I made a statement during a meeting that I had been with YV for a year and it had been a difficult year in our area." I really didnt think anything about it other than meaning our area had went through growing pains where we had a dysfunctional supervisor who was finally fired and that we had been under staffed most of the time. I was brought in by my supervisior and "given the talk" about my negative attitude and that senior managment took my remark as a threat to quit. That was the moment that I decided that YV was not a company that I wanted to work for. YV clinical program is sound and I learned alot while I was there. I just wished the managment cared for their employees and allowed us to have a more balanced life. At times I was oncall every other weekend and every night during the week. When I was interviewed I was told the oncall was for emergencies but most weekends you are supervising family visits, transporting kids, checking on familys and doing home visits. When you work on weekend you do not get to flex those hours off or get paid for them. The weeks that I was oncall I would often work 12 days before I would get a day off and would average 120 hours during those 12 days. – less
Gave me clinical experience
Residential Counselor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNDecember 13, 2013
Youth Villages is a great organization for young adults who do not have a personal family of their own. I was able to gain my clinical experience through them but other than that I don't have much to say.

Hardest part of the job was putting in 12 hour days, and then having 2-3 hours of documentation to do when you returned home.
Long hours and lots of driving
Family Counselor (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALNovember 19, 2013
This job was very difficult due to the fact that you spend most of your day in the car. There was lots of driving involved as it is a home based counseling agency. Often times I would have to drive to very rural areas where no cell phone coverage was possible and I felt uncomfortable at times, especially if it was later in the evening and I was alone.
Rewarding and impactful work with needy youth.
Transitional Living Specialist (Former Employee), Memphis,TNNovember 19, 2013
As a transitional living specialist, a typical day consisted having several sessions in the community with young adults. These sessions consisted of assisting these youth with increasing their knowledge of community resources and independent living skills. I was able to assist these youth with things such as registration for post-secondary education – more... and employment seeking. Additional tasks that I completed included attending treatment team meetings in addition to medical record documentation and data entry.

Management consisted of a clinical supervisor, clinical consultant, and regional supervisor. Clinical protocols and specific cases were reviewed by management staff on a weekly basis. Management was also available to answer any questions regarding specific clients or policies. Additionally, my co-workers were very supportive in processing common stressors associated with my position.

The most difficult part of this job directly coincided with the most enjoyable part, and pertained to the scheduling. I was able to set my own schedule on a weekly basis regarding client sessions. The downside of this was being at the mercy of these clients, as sessions were cancelled and rescheduled quite often. This made it difficult to complete paperwork, and there were many instances where i was working roughly 50 hours per week while attending school during the evening. – less
PRTF
Teacher Counselor (Former Employee), Douglasville, GANovember 12, 2013
worked with at risk youth in a residential setting
great management
hard 16 hour shift on weekends
What I Have Learned
Behavioral Youth Counselor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 29, 2013
The company has a great culture centered around building success for the youth, You learn a lot about working with different behaviors and leadership in the company. The hours are strenuous and it can be hard to do anything else besides work. The paperwork is heavy. You can advance quickly but must be willing to show your capabilities. Co-workers may – more... have been there for years or only weeks and some always complain. The job is stressful yet rewarding. – less
Supportive co-workers
Family Intervention Specialist (Current Employee), Woburn, MAOctober 22, 2013
Everyone in the office is willing to help and answer questions. My supervisior is very flexible and allows for growth in my career.
Will Not Support staff in times of need
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee), MSOctober 22, 2013
Pros: experience is great
Cons: long work hours and not enough pay.
Youth Villages is not a good company to work for. The hours are long and pay is not competative. The company does not value employess and does not invest without wanting contracts signed in return.
Wonderful mission but a toxic company
Family Intervention Specialist (Current Employee), IndianaOctober 15, 2013
Pros: watching your families grow
Cons: toxic culture, poor management, long hours
I took this job right out of graduate school. To be clear, I certainly never entered the field of mental health with the expectation that I would work a neat 40 hours a week or that the work would be easy. I write all of this as an employee in good standing with both my office and the company...

However, I would strongly caution anyone who is considering – more... employment with this company. There are many things, first licensed supervision is not free. They will tell you this, but what they'll forget to tell you is that you must sign a contract that states you will work for the company for two years after your final supervision session. If you don't, you will owe the company all of that money back. Yes. That's not an uncommon practice but there are good reasons they hide it. Also, any other supervision you receive in-house will be from individuals who aren't really clinicians or are far more interested in the timeliness of your paperwork rather than the work you to with your families.

Next, you will not have a life outside of work. It won't be possible. Your actual hours per week will be closer to the 55-65 hour range if you really want to keep current with all of your paperwork. There has been one week where it was pushing 70. I'm not slow at my work either and I'm not a procrastinator, the lower end of that scale encompasses the weeks where I've had quite enough and am speeding along as fast as possible. Also, should you take a job with this company, don't let them know when you've finished your work for the week. They punish good and expedient work by giving you even more work, or forcing you to help the supervisor's favorite do his or her work.

They will not care that you've already worked 12-13 hours. Oh, and attempting to create a respectful and healthful work-life balance by engaging in discussion with your boss will not only go unheeded it will also be punished. A colleague of mind attempted this after their work-week kept pushing 60+ hours and they punished this person by sending them out on as many long days as they could (sometimes 16-hour days due to driving) to test this colleague's commitment to the company.

Which brings us to another point: the culture of Youth Villages is deeply toxic. Their mission is good, I wholeheartedly believe in the mission of helping kids and families but make no mistake, behind that facade is an almost cult-like mentality. Having a very difficult day? Having trouble with an exceptionally hostile client? Don't mention it out loud. The supervisor will invalidate you by forcing you to state positive things about the family. This hasn't happened to me but I've witnessed it many times. Feeling run down? Hide it. You will quickly become black-listed in office politics which means you will inevitably be the one to be on call at the worst times (holidays) or the first person who has additional paperwork pushed off on them. As I said before, I've seen it happen.

Oh, and when they do their yearly fundraiser, in which they ask you to donate a portion of your income back to the company, not giving them .5% to 3% of your earnings is also a good way to become socially ostracized.

Take this job if you need it, but don't delude yourself into thinking of YV as a long-term option. I've read most of the reviews on here for this company and I can't help but notice that many of the good reviews are from out-of-touch management attempting to salvage the company's image on here or from individuals who have never held a legitimate clinical job with YV. – less
Challenging
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee), Woburn, MAOctober 11, 2013
Pros: hard working entry level staff
Cons: horrible culture, upper management has little to no clinical expertise, though are in charge of directing treatment of at risk youth.
Difficult to manage work and family life. expected to work 60-70 hours every week, and as a supervisor to work at least one weekend each month. Supervisory positions are promoted only from within, which is great for current staff, but does not allow for any outside influences. The staff that work at YV are usually in their first professional jobs, and – more... therefore have little "real world" experience, which means all upper level management also has limited "real world" experience. All of this is to the detriment of the young people this agency serves. When you are hired, they offer extensive supervision and consultation with professional staff, though the staff providing these are not always professionals, often they are para-professionals. The supervision that is provided is not generally directed towards growth as a clinician, rather it is focused on need areas related to paperwork timeliness. The agency itself has some great values, and terrific individuals working for them (in other states), however YV New England is a pit, where new graduates go to gain experience to put on resumes before leaving for better jobs. New hire orientation is held bi-weekly as so many individuals start working at this agency and leave quickly due to the politics, and lack of support. – less

About Youth Villages

Youth Villages, Inc. is a not-for-profit mental health organization with additional offices in Woburn, MA and Lawrence, MA. Serving – Read more