Youth Villages Employee Reviews in United States

Love Them
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 5, 2015
This company can change the world . Youth Villages has helped several families regain their structure just by being there for them in their time of need. This is an awesome company.
This was an excellent place to work, however the pay and advancement was not good.
Medical Records Technician (Former Employee) –  Inner Harbour campus Douglasville GAOctober 23, 2015
Youth Villages does good work for children and for the community. I enjoyed the whole 5 1/2 years I worked there. My only disappointment was the low pay and lack of cost of living raises.
Pros
Wonderful people to work for.
Cons
low pay
Great co-workers
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 22, 2015
Due to the nature of the job, the work can be extremely intensive and overwhelming. There is a lot of time averting crisis however there is time for collaboration and effective service delivery. There is a lot of room for growth and opportunity to move up in the company.
Youth Villages is agreat place to work and gain experience to help families in various capacities.
Teacher/Counselor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 21, 2015
Youth Villages is a wonderful company doing great work in the community. As the force for families, they have established themselves as the leader in effectively rebuilding family relationships where there have been traumatic occurrences and circumstances. The only downside is the long hours and added company policies without a significant increase in financial stability, or salary.
Difficult but rewarding
Teacher Counselor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 20, 2015
Difficult work environment while always being with the kids but it is rewarding. Required to work overtime every week and the hours are hard to get used to at first. Management is good overall.
Very productive an challenging workplace
Teacher Counselor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 17, 2015
Its a very fair workplace with lots of supportive help from other staff an managers. I've enjoyed myself working at this facility because it has helped me grow a lot. I'm pretty much ready for any type of work force by just working at Youth Villages alone.Very challenging and a great experience.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
barely get any breaks
Stressed to the max
Family Intervention Specialist (Current Employee) –  tennesseeOctober 15, 2015
I took this job right out of undergrad. I was called by a guy in Virginia who I did a phone interview before I was called into the actual office and had two interviews with supervisors. This job has been so stressful since the day I started it. There is no work-life balance. I have put 20,000 on my car in three months and I spend hours doing paperwork when I get home to make sure it gets in on time. I have to deal with families being unappreciative and uncooperative with my schedule. Most of my families don't even want our services-they are in it because DCS says they have to. The on-call system is awful. After working 50-60 hours a week you then have to put in time over the weekend for everyone's families. You end up working 12 days before getting a day off. We are paid salary which equals 7.47 an hour for me if I work 50 hours a week and even less than that if it is over 50! Another thing that bothers me about this company is the amount of trainings you have to include in your already busy schedule. I have been to multiple trainings and I have felt like I have been wasting my time because that's time I could be having sessions. This company isn't all bad. I have great supervisors and coworkers that support me, the schedule is flexible (kinda), and the mileage checks are pretty great but that's about it. All in all, if I could go back in time I wouldn't have accepted this job.
Pros
free lunch, mileage checks
Cons
no breaks, no work-life balance, long hours, too much paperwork and pointless trainings
No personal/home life for employees, many quit within 6 months
Family Counselor (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCOctober 6, 2015
Expected this to be a challenging but worthwhile job. Soon discovered that it left no time for my own family or any personal down time because each YV family has to be seen several hours a week on 3 different days for about 20 hours a week; they often live an hour or more apart from one another and, since you are on their schedule of convenience and so can't always schedule them efficiently, you can be driving many miles several hours a day; and then there are other things to attend such as juvenile court hearings,school meetings, etc., that also increase the weekly working hours as well as keep you on the road; you are on call 24 hours a day during the week and at least one weekend a month and if needed, must drive out to family's homes in the middle of the night; there's also an average of 15 hours of paperwork to complete. So, it's not unusual to work over 60 hours every week and to drive hundreds of miles in a week.

Since it's a salary position, you don't get overtime, and you only get mileage paid from the office location to your destination. That means that if you live farther from a family than the YV office but have to go out at night to their home for a crisis call and so leave from your home, you won't be reimbursed for all the miles you had to drive, just the amount of miles from the office. They tell you that there are paid holidays, however, the way getting holiday or vacation leave approved is set up makes it pretty much impossible to take it.

When I started working there, I saw on my first day that several people who had just been hired had already quit
  more... (their first day welcome signs were even still on their cubicles) and the others who were there in the same family counselor position confided they were looking for new jobs, even though they had only been there a few weeks.

The people I worked with were very nice and the managers also were professional and courteous. The company gives nice gifts, too, such as a roadside first aid kit, pens, etc. when you first start. I wanted to love this job and tried really hard to, but it just didn't allow any time for my own family or personal life because the company is clear that the needs of the YV families come first, and the way the job is set up prevents one from having a personal/home life.
Pros
Great YV branded gifts like pens, nice coworkers
Cons
long hours, long drives, no down time, no home life
exciting day with the children
Behavioral Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 28, 2015
Great job for a person who enjoys working in a residential setting. The work schedule was not as flexible as I would have liked.
Pros
Free Lunch, dinner, breakfast
Cons
long shifts
Rewarding place to work
Trauma Informed Care Trainer (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 24, 2015
Although this is a very rewarding place to work due to the dynamics of the company, it is not feasible monitary wise. The company offers many job opportunities, and offers relocation promotions.
Pros
job opportunities
Cons
low pay
Fun Work Place
YVLifeSet Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MASeptember 17, 2015
Youth Villages was an enjoyable work setting where you felt supported by your colleagues and supervisors. I felt that I was able to grow as a therapist as well as a person through the work I was able to do. My daily responsibilities was that I would meet with young adults ages 17-22 and help them achieve whatever goals they had including goals for education, employment, or gaining financial stability. It was a pleasure to work here for the time I did because I was very fond of the fact that I was able to make my own schedule.
I was able to develop into an effective therapist. Learn the role of leadership.
MYPAC Mental Health Therapist (Current Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSSeptember 8, 2015
The clinical team was supportive, engaging, and approachable. The environment was fast paced, but family oriented. The hardest part of the job was separating work for daily life. The most enjoyable part was the developmental trainings.
Pros
Opportunity to grow, develop, and promote
Cons
Excessive driving. Difficult to balance work and life
Great if you don't have other commitments
Family Intervention Specialist (Current Employee) –  IndianaSeptember 8, 2015
I have been working for the company for over 1 year now and can honestly say this has been the most stretching job that I've ever had. The hours are long, the paperwork is extensive (all online), and the demands are great. You are the jack of all trades and rarely get a break. I am an extremely diligent, organized person who works long hours just to get my paperwork in. The on-call really isn't that bad as long as you set boundaries with your clients. I have been burnt out on 3 different occasions now, but you really don't have time or opportunity to recuperate. If you don't have a family, go for it. Otherwise, be prepared for late nights of paperwork and unexpected due dates.
Pros
Great people to work with, experience in the field prior to licensure
Cons
Demanding, long hours, intense deadlines, minimal support
Do not waste your time!!!
Overnight Teacher Counselor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 2, 2015
I love my career choice and love working with children; however, the company is PURE BS when it comes to staff! They have the best interest at heart for the kids, but the staff gets burned out due to the unrealistic expectations. For example, work 16 hours (6:30a-10:30p) , spend the night, wake the kids for school at 6a the next day, complete "morning routine "( cleaning the cottages ) be at breakfast by 7 and leave for an appointment at 8. Now that appointment can take hours depending on where you're going. You get back to campus with the kid around 11a, drop them off to school aND only have a couple hours before your shift begins at 2 aND ends at 10:30p for $11 an hour That's legal slavery...Sleep deprivation and stress are the two mane problems you'll face with the company.
Pros
Cons
Underpaid, overworked, unappreciated, long hours, high turnover rates, 16 hour shifts without a break! Belittling
Great rewards working with at-risk youth
Group Home Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 25, 2015
As a Supervisor I've been able to learn about the importance of task completion, managing different social styles, creative planning and programing, staff retention, and implementing change to a struggling program.
Pros
Relaxed dress code, Close knit work relationships with co-workers and leadership, location
Cons
Work-Life Balance, lack of incentive programs
This was a positive environment to learn many tasks. It is a high pace type of work. It is extremely important to be organized and flexible.
Mental Health Therapist (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 24, 2015
I enjoyed working for Youth Villages and was able to learn and accomplish alot while I worked there. The staff and administration are very dedicated to their jobs and are open to helping new comers adjust to the fast pace environment. In this position, I travelled alot and was able to meet others in different positions throughtout the state of Mississippi.
Pros
There is reimbursement for travel and discounts for the cellular company you are with.
Cons
It can be demanding on time and may interfere with home life.
al right
family intervention specialist (Current Employee) –  boston, MAAugust 17, 2015
Its very hard to balance your life. Too much work. You meet great people and coworkers. a lot of help is provided but even with a non traditional schedule is hard to handle
Terrible
Night Monitor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 11, 2015
Management has poor people skills. Management watches cameras to set employees up. Management says employee will have weekends off, but won't. Management will write you up for no apparent reason. Pay rate is terrible, $9.00 per hour. Overall bad place to work. This is no place to work, definitely not a place to retire. Youth Villages has the right intention to help kids, but do not consider working here. Again, do not consider working here. You will only be wasting time. There are no pros, a million cons. I could go for days about the cons. Apply elsewhere.
Pros
Cons
The list wraps around the corner. >>>
No job/ life.balance. when I worked there, direct supervisor would not do sessions even when I was out.
Mental Health Therapist (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSAugust 7, 2015
If you like 18-20 sessions per week and probably 15 hours of paperwork (treatment plans and notes) 3 hrs of supervision personal, (which never happened ), group and ind supervision for clients mandstory training ib Jackson at least 2 -3 times a month, etc. I could go on but you may not believe every th ing. Good experience right out of grad school.
Pros
None in Ms
Cons
Long hours no apprecisation.
Great Benifits
Behavior Youth Counselor/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 5, 2015
Its a multicultural place. If a person likes to manage problem youth its a great company to gain experience. The benefits the staff and the stability is great.
Pros
Great benfits
Cons
Not so good hours

2.4