Founded in 2008, YouthBuild Charter School of California (YCSC) is a public charter school dedicated to providing an effective solution to California’s dropout crisis. Students come to YCSC to get a second chance to earn a high school diploma and rediscover a passion for learning after they’ve been pushed out, timed out, dropped out, or failed by the traditional public school system. Our alternative approach to education is competency-based; students are guided through a process that results in relevant demonstrations of learning through presentations and projects that demonstrate mastery of state standards. We believe all of our young people can succeed when given the personalized attention they deserve, and we guide our students through the process of developing both the technical and intangible skills necessary to reach their full potential as leaders and agents of change in their communities.
Americorp VISTA members commit to serve full-time for a year at a nonprofit organization or local government agency, working to fight illiteracy, improve health services, create businesses, strengthen community groups, and much more. With passion, commitment, and hard work, you’ll create or expand programs designed to bring individuals and communities out of poverty. YouthBuild Charter School wants to fill an Americorp Vista position with a candidate who wants to use their skills to act as a project lead on launching new programs that support the efforts of our teachers through services to our students.
By serving through VISTA at YouthBuild Charter, you’ll gain new professional skills, build meaningful relationships, and lasting experiences—plus you’ll get the satisfaction that comes from helping others. Working with YCSC’s Leadership team promises to provide the VISTA an invaluable opportunity to learn about the world of education through charter schools in California, multi-site organizational management, relationship cultivation, and so much more.
During your service, you’ll also receive a modest living allowance based on the poverty line in Los Angeles, health care, and other benefits as described on the Americorp VISTA Website. And, upon completing your service, you can choose to receive either a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or post-service stipend.
Responsibility and Duties:
- Develop or link new programs that support student growth
- Network within the community to identify and cultivate new relationships
- Create SOP’s to promote the sustainability of new programs for students
- Be an active and engage member of the leadership team by presenting new ideas
- Other development tasks as needed
- Passionate about the mission and values of our organization
- Flexible self-starter who can work both independently and in a team environment with a positive attitude
- Comfortable developing resources and cultivating sustainable relationships internally and externally
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Detail-oriented and organized with an interest in event planning
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and social media tools
- Bachelor’s degree preferred – will consider relevant work experience
Please submit a resume with a cover letter to t s a tt l e r @@@y o u t h b u i l d c h a r t e r . o r g or via fax (213)741.2628.