YRC Freight Employee Reviews

YRC Freight
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 15, 2017
I worked for YRC Freight during their restructuring of Roadway Express and Yellow Freight. The company was horribly miss managed and nearly went out of business many times. I had my position eliminated on 3 separate occasions. I believe things are better now but were not good when I worked there.
Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Great company with long history
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 15, 2017
I had a great experience temping at this company. I did administrative work in the engineering and real estate departments. Unfortunately this company closed this location and is no longer there.
Pros
Great people who genuinely cared about the company and its employees.
Cons
Uncomfortable, antiquated heating and cooling.
good job
Operations Manager / Equipment Manager (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILNovember 9, 2017
I was laid off due to company buy out otherwise I would still be working there. I had many opportunities for advancement and I took them. Wish I still worked there.
fun co workers
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 6, 2017
everyday was a good day. had some challenging days but still good. nice coworkers that was willing to teach. I learn how to properly stack a trailer. management was always amazing. loveable work environment. the hardest part was the hours but the coworkers made it enjoyable
Cons
no benefits till hired full time and hours
nope
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Tukwila, WANovember 4, 2017
I did not like getting in trouble by the law ask for permission before forgiveness approach to disciplinary action, they're quick to punish you and never quick enough to show appreciation.
ok work environment
Hostler, Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GANovember 2, 2017
Just want more hours. cross dock work. fast paced loading and unloading trucks. shipping and receiving. the fellow co-workers help each other out. hardest part of the job is the open dock.
Pros
nice people
Cons
low hours and pay
not a good place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 2, 2017
Upper management needed to be more in tune with mid management activities and work culture. they were slow to react to decisions that neededto be made in a more timely fashion.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not supportive of project managers
It a good money job
Line Haul Driver (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 30, 2017
Used to be a good company till they merge with Rogue Way started trying to force drivers to do illegal things if you want to have no life go to work all the time and make good money then that's the place
Pros
Money
Road Driver
Road Driver (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAOctober 30, 2017
To be at a 15% pay cut and still be able to make 70k-80k isn't to shabby. A lot of senior drivers are bitter at the company due to the cut in the pension and almost going under due to the purchase of some major fleets in the midst of the country going into a recession. It's really not as bad as it seems just stay away from the politics.
Pros
pay, company paid health insurance
Cons
Old equipment, unwashed equipment, 15% pay cut, bitter co- workers
Just don't do it...
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, PAOctober 29, 2017
You are no longer a family person or married. You basically marry YRC.... They take over any kind of plans you want or have. Your work days can be great or boring. You could work 8 hours or 10...depending on 2 hours before your shift ends. You're also not there to make friends.
unorganized
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Maybrook, NYOctober 24, 2017
unorganized place to work, no pension in that local, work morale very low, job is in a place that is very expensive, bad work life balance, not safe work environment, racist/hostile management
Pros
Cons
everything
Fast-paced enviroment
Dock Worker/ Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  ChaOctober 23, 2017
A typical day at work would be load/unload truck.What i've learned is how to read and understand freight bills and develop the knowledge of the freight world.Management help with assisting the employee with understanding orders and what to be expected of us as employees.The workplace culture was a friendly environment ,employee help in areas where help was needed the most. The hardest part of the job was adjusting to a new schedule every 3 months. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting along with co-workers .
Pros
Pay/Benefits
Cons
Short Breaks
Good for experience to go elsewhere
Driver/Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 23, 2017
Would not recommend to anyone looking for a truck driving job. Benefits are good but worse every year. Hours suck. Pay is mediocre. Pension sucks. Management inept. Equipment all junk.
Pros
Cons
See review
terrible
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 21, 2017
the old vets in there try to run u out, the company doesn't care about safety just numbers, u are on call for 30days call u anytime of day, treat u real bad but its easy money if u can stand the cold
Poorly managed
Logistics Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 19, 2017
This company changes departments and managers so often your head will spin. The managers stay too busy to help others. They treat their customers and vendors poorly because they don't know how to run things.
Great pay, awesome benefits. Zero accountability.
Linehaul Road Driver (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 18, 2017
In KC all new drivers start on sleeper teams and it takes about 10 years to get enough seniority for anything else. I made 76k my first year there with no prior experience as a driver. The benefits are all 100% paid and about the best anyone can offer. Expect to be on the road with a partner about 5 days per week. Weekends are hard to get off so don't expect that. It's a union job so all the drivers do is hold the steering wheel, literally. You pull into a terminal, set the brakes then wait for someone else to drop and hook your next set.

Find a driving partner you're cool with and you should be fine. Better off if your wife irritates the heck out of you, now you can get away and only have to see her a day or two per week.

Also, since it's a union company you'll need to get use to hearing, "It's not my job....." Everyone has their job and work and take their sweet time to do it and will not do anything not outlined in their job description.
Pros
Pay, benefits, light work load
Cons
Little home time, no accountability.
Easy Job, Clear Expectations
Customer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 16, 2017
YRC Expedited is a location that has little to no opportunity for advancement or employee development. Their compensation is a direct reflection of the talent of the employees.

It is very much a place to work, if you are looking for somewhere you can live paycheck to paycheck and only perform at subpar levels.

Management was very easy to work with and helpful. Performance metrics are kept, to ensure that work is being balanced throughout the dept.

Compensation is not enough for where the office is located. Benefits are very poor.

Work-life balance is a must, as you are paid hourly. Therefore they do not want to spend anymore than they have to, to make sure the work is completed.
Pros
Good Work-life balance, Easy job, culture among employees is liveable
Cons
Terrible compensation, Zero Employee Development, No middle management opportunities
Good old boys club
Lead ETL Devleoper (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 13, 2017
It's not what you know, it's who you blow. Bad data, stressful work, long hours, always on call, bad management - the only good thing is it is a paycheck. It's better than working at Sprint - but not much.
Pros
You won't have to work long -
Cons
Layoffs
Love this place
Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 13, 2017
Best group of people I have met. I'm part of the team drivers that run out West. I'm on a bid where I'm out 4 days and home for 3. However I have done day cab runs which typically gets you home every other day. Biggest challenge of this job is exercising patience with the extra board,
Finance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 11, 2017
Good place to gain Knowledge. Good people to be around. Learned a lot in short period of time. Feel like needs more structure in Job security. Has a great management team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YRC Freight. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9