YRC Worldwide Inc. Employee Reviews

Good starter job
Financial Analyst - Procurement Strategy (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Your knowledge expands as quickly as you are willing to learn.
Cons: Needs more structure
I was able to learn many good habits and grow professionally here, but there is no more room to grow. Overall YRC is a good place to work, but I wouldn't plan on making it a lifelong career.
fast paced, always on your feet, have to be toally focused at job onhand
Supervisor (Former Employee), Wheeling, ILNovember 8, 2014
Pros: health insurance, 401k, bonuses at times
Cons: no lunches, dresscode, computer upgrades
Once job learned typical day was good, I accomplished to learn a lot, most of the management weren't the go getters unless it was crunch time, all coworkers were cool , hardest part of job is coming into some one else's mess and you have to clean it up and also do your job. The enjoyable part was when we worked 7days on and 7 days off.
Great Work Place
Dispatcher (Current Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 17, 2014
Basically making sure trucks go where they are supposed to im a supervisor over everything been there almost 30 years very much experienced
Productive fun place to work in the beginning
Customer Solutions Coordinator (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSSeptember 23, 2014
Very busy. Learned every aspect of transportation. Co-workers were great. Unstable once they got in financial trouble.
Help Desk Analyst
Help Desk Specialist (Former Employee), Overland Park KsSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: learning different networks
Cons: layoffs
Good Company enjoyed the opportunity to learn different Internal systems
Corporate Collections
Corporate Revenue Specialist (Former Employee), Cheektowaga, NYAugust 30, 2014
Learned various aspects of freight terms, billing, collections, and intense customer service.
n
SEMI TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 17, 2014
• Transport freight from one terminal to the next in a
• Keep a running log that records their daily work tasks.
• Able to drive long distances and for extended periods of time.
• Ability to aid in the loading and unloading of freight that we transport.
• Coupling the tractor and trailer.
Roadway was amazing but very disappointed with YRCW.
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee), Allentown, PAMay 7, 2014
Pros: learning from their mistakes, i hope. they have a mix of yellow and roadway drivers and people at the terminals that are awesome.
Cons: trust is an issue for the employees and the customers due to their business track record.
When I started with Roadway Trucking, it was just awesome. Customers came first and competitors knew they were outmatched when Roadway came into any picture. However, when Yellow married Roadway, some terminals merged but many closed. Drivers lost out. Roadway then had call centers that personally touched every customer. They were the right arm of sales and stormed the forefront of every challenge with great service. Every state had one or more call centers and multitudes of sales personnel who loved their customers and had great feedback. Then, Yellow also closed Roadways call center set up and YRCW only has a percentage who now serve the many customers. These closures were unexpected, to say the least, and I was in customer service at one of those call centers. A company who used to be first or second place in the world of logistics, changed their role and place in it dramatically in a very short period of time. Competitors have stepped up to take the business and I miss the ole' Roadway. It has been so sad to see YRC have such hard times. I hope YRC Worldwide, Inc. can climb back to the top.
N/A
Dock Supervisor (Former Employee), Maybrook, NYJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Not good at all. Bad working conditions. No room for advancement
great place! probably my favorite job ever as far as location, atmosphere, work, and co-workers. Management was memorable
Accounts Receivables Representative (Former Employee), Cheektowaga, NYDecember 20, 2013
I like how the company gave you goals to shoot for and had award shows for their employees. The only downfall was that they weren't flexible with scheduling and they weren't very understanding when you had appointments.
Its a job
Driver / Dock (Current Employee), Santa AnaJuly 13, 2013
always on the run making deliveries and pick ups. during busy season. In the slow season no job security.
Fortune 500 Transportation Company
Manager of Accounting - Accounts Payable (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSMay 5, 2013
Currently in turnaroud after recession. Profitability slowly returning as company gets its footing back.
Good compensation, but little job security or advancement
Operation Support Specialist (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMarch 10, 2013
Typical day varied from day-to-day in a fast paced environment, which was great, but communication was bad. I split my time between recruiting, training, labor issues, and administrative duties. I learned many things there. I learned everything from EEOC to OSHA guidelines. There were several management changes, that caused some miscommunications. The most difficult part of the job was getting time to train employees because the logistics industry is all about time. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the staff and solving problems. I enjoyed the people that I worked with at YRC Worldwide. There was little opportunity for advancement and several layoffs. The company would have better market share if there was more communication between labor and management.
Challenging Place To Work For
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee), Chicago Heights, ILFebruary 6, 2013
Pros: strong name brand
Cons: constant uncertainty about your future and pay
My experience with YRC was not the best. In fairness, multiple factors have to be considered in my assesment of this company. During my tenure, YRC was experiencing economic difficulty. 3 weeks into my employment, I was forced to take a 10% pay reduction. Once I got promoted, my new salary was based upon a 10% pay reduction as well. Unfortunately, YRC's HR or management forgot that my pay was already reduced and they implemented another 10% pay reduction more than 6 months into the position. There were many layoffs, including myself during this time. There is a seperation between union and non-union employees and management had a tendancy of being rather bullish regardless of the economic challenges that their sales people experienced. Commissions and bonuses were either not paid or took nearly 6 months to recieve after being earned. They no longer provide company cars for their sales people and require the vehicle in use to be no more than 4 years old in order to recieve a car allowance.

Besides these unfortunate experiences, there are a lot of employees that have a very long tenure there. Everyone's experience is different. They provide a strong name brand and decent service. They have many loyal employees and there was a time where from what I've been told, it was a great place to work. Perhaps, one day they will return to those days.
Productive place to work, never a lack of work
Senior Payroll Examiner (Former Employee), Akron, OHJanuary 6, 2013
Pros: flex work schedule
I was a hard worker and rarely missed work. I believe that management recognized this.
Most of my co-workers were hard working and easy to work with.
The hardest part of my job was meeting payroll deadlines when field employees did not handle their payroll responsibilities timely
Driver
Driver (Former Employee), Dallas txNovember 27, 2012
A typical day includes rout planning, daily logs, and driving for 8-10 hrs a day.
Work is good operating a forklift, loading and unloading cargo
Freight Associate (Current Employee), Tracy, CAOctober 19, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: on call
Moving freight to different location to city, inbound and outbound etc....
Thankful To Be Working And Learning
Outbound Operations Manager (Current Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 15, 2012
Pros: learning new skills and fine tuning my communication/management skills
Cons: no lunch or set breaks. work weekends, nights, 10-12 hour days, holidays and stressful situations.
Most of what I do comes down to really managing personalities. YRC is a union company, so juggling union bylaws, work agreements and individual personalities are obstacles I work through every day. In this job, someone's communication and leadership skills will make or break their success. Luckily, I have been very fortunate at YRC and moved in the ranks fairly quickly due to my ability to communicate with the union.

More specific job daily duties would include managing work flow and assignments. Managing and assuring the work force are meeting daily production, safety, and load factor goals. In one 10 hour day, I will generally walk 8 miles as I venture the dock and check in with employees to ensure they have what they need or communicate further guidance on other assignments.

YRC is working on re-establishing themselves in the market place, with that said, there is a lot of pressure to meet rising goals. I welcome the challenge and feel the culture is turning around. This could quite possibly be the hardest part and most enjoyable part of the job. I want to see the company succeed, so day in and day out, I give it 110%. The flip side of that is communicating and encouraging the employees to buy into the fact that we can make a difference. The union employees have taken a 15% pay cut and no longer receive a contribution to their pension, so moral and belief in the company culture is down. What I've tried to bring to this job is synergy. Getting people to once again work together and believe everyone is on the same team, is where a lot of my efforts go.

YRC is undoubtedly in a questionable state to whether or not the company will survive. Nonetheless, I am happy to be working and they have treated me well.
Great job.
Data Entry - process 300+ bill of ladies (Former Employee), Sun Valley, CAAugust 15, 2012
Data entry of bill of lady's and manage the dock. Union so that was plus.
A company trying to restructure and generate cash flow
Training and Development Management Positions (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSMay 6, 2012
The company has had a very challenging recent 6 years as it tries to bounce back from the difficulties of the recent recession. Many changes have occurred, challenging its employees to find more creative ways to get work accomplished. Much remains to be done to become profitable.