YRC Worldwide Inc. Employee Reviews

Yellow/Roadway: Two of the largest ltl carriers merged creating the largest ltl transportation company with good training for sales force.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 10, 2016
Sales Executive managing top accounts.
Negotiating on a daily basis to provide a win win for both customer and company.
Management provided all the resources needed to be successful.
Teamwork was vital in the companies success.
The hardest part of this job was being able to travel and meet daily face to face with customers due to the traffic congestion. However, the enjoyable part is landing good customers and building relationships.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Excessive/redundant admin or paperwork
Productive workplace with good, hard working people.
Dock Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Maybrook, NYFebruary 1, 2016
Typical day requires, showing up ready to work hard in a fast paced environment for 12 hours. I have learned a great deal of management experience due to the amount of employees and the volume of freight we have to through daily as a team. Upper management is very knowledgeable of operations and guides us in any area that we are lacking. The hardest part of the job is the inconsistency in the industry. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is the people I work with and how we solve problems as a team.
Pros
Great people, good pay, and good benefits.
Cons
No breaks and long days.
Great Company
Account Executive, Trainer (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 5, 2016
Great company I enjoyed my time and the work very much, but unfortunatly the company direction changed and I need to make an adjustment in my career direction.

Great company with good benefits
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJanuary 6, 2016
A company with opportunities for growth and new positions. Extensive product offerings in the logistics market place.
Pros
Good benefits, competitive pay, balanced work life
Cons
Slow to change, hard to move outside of practices in place
Job/Work Balance does not match up.
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Maspeth, NYMay 18, 2016
You work 12 hour days, could never take a day off if you're ill, and there are no opportunities for career advancement. The technology the company uses is antiquated and outdated.
Pros
Cons
Long Days with an inadequated pay
Fast paced environment
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 2, 2016
The environment was very fast paced and the shifts were 12 hour long, four times a week sometimes more. The workload was a bit much since there was a shortage of supervisors.
Small company feeling within the culture
Software Quality Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 30, 2016
One of the closest companies to military camaraderie. The IT organization is strong and people really try to help one another.
Pros
Strong culture
Cons
compensation is not quite up to industry standards
productive customer service work
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, IAJuly 18, 2016
taking inbound calls regarding freight being delivered, rate quotes on freight, questions about on time delivery, and shortages and damages
Pros
good work environment
Cons
angry customers
Rough place to work
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 3, 2016
Overall this was not an enjoyable place to work. The hours were fair but the capabilities of management were seemingly limited.
An ok place to work
W & I Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 2, 2015
Coworkers were the best part of the job. Most willing to cooperate and work with you. I learned to Master the NMFC Tariffs. One of the hardest parts was to meet or exceed the inflated goals during the slow months.
Pros
Helping the shippers to understand the correct NMFC Item Numbers to use for their freight.
Cons
Upper management doesn't always support the front-line supervisors.
fast paced, always on your feet, have to be toally focused at job onhand
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, ILNovember 8, 2014
Once job learned typical day was good, I accomplished to learn a lot, most of the management weren't the go getters unless it was crunch time, all coworkers were cool , hardest part of job is coming into some one else's mess and you have to clean it up and also do your job. The enjoyable part was when we worked 7days on and 7 days off.
Pros
health insurance, 401k, bonuses at times
Cons
no lunches, dresscode, computer upgrades
avoid
Shift Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 5, 2016
The most hostile work environment I have ever been in. Nothing positive to say. Pay is decent, but nothing else is redeeming. I left as quickly as I could.
Management is very understandable when it comes to medical appointments
Revenue Specialist (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 12, 2016
I am just a contractor, so I don't get the same perks as if I was actual employee of YRC, but I have enjoyed contracting there for almost a year.
Pros
The managers actually know how to manage
Cons
Being a contractor verses being a hired emploee
Challenging Place To Work For
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILFebruary 6, 2013
My experience with YRC was not the best. In fairness, multiple factors have to be considered in my assesment of this company. During my tenure, YRC was experiencing economic difficulty. 3 weeks into my employment, I was forced to take a 10% pay reduction. Once I got promoted, my new salary was based upon a 10% pay reduction as well. Unfortunately, YRC's HR or management forgot that my pay was already reduced and they implemented another 10% pay reduction more than 6 months into the position. There were many layoffs, including myself during this time. There is a seperation between union and non-union employees and management had a tendancy of being rather bullish regardless of the economic challenges that their sales people experienced. Commissions and bonuses were either not paid or took nearly 6 months to recieve after being earned. They no longer provide company cars for their sales people and require the vehicle in use to be no more than 4 years old in order to recieve a car allowance.

Besides these unfortunate experiences, there are a lot of employees that have a very long tenure there. Everyone's experience is different. They provide a strong name brand and decent service. They have many loyal employees and there was a time where from what I've been told, it was a great place to work. Perhaps, one day they will return to those days.
Pros
strong name brand
Cons
constant uncertainty about your future and pay
Not a bad place to work.
Combination Employee (Current Employee) –  Akron AreaDecember 5, 2011
A good place to work with a bunch of great people I have made a decent living here. As a Union Employee there is no room to advance.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
mostly night work, no advancement
Great Company to work for
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Bloomington,CAAugust 31, 2015
I truly enjoy YRC Freight and would not leave if I didn't have to family to Santa Barbara, CA. The management team in Southern, CA is one of the best management teams I've had the pleasure of working with.
Good starter job
Financial Analyst - Procurement Strategy (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 26, 2015
I was able to learn many good habits and grow professionally here, but there is no more room to grow. Overall YRC is a good place to work, but I wouldn't plan on making it a lifelong career.
Pros
Your knowledge expands as quickly as you are willing to learn.
Cons
Needs more structure
Productive place to work, never a lack of work
Senior Payroll Examiner (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 6, 2013
I was a hard worker and rarely missed work. I believe that management recognized this.
Most of my co-workers were hard working and easy to work with.
The hardest part of my job was meeting payroll deadlines when field employees did not handle their payroll responsibilities timely
Pros
flex work schedule
Thankful To Be Working And Learning
Outbound Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 15, 2012
Most of what I do comes down to really managing personalities. YRC is a union company, so juggling union bylaws, work agreements and individual personalities are obstacles I work through every day. In this job, someone's communication and leadership skills will make or break their success. Luckily, I have been very fortunate at YRC and moved in the ranks fairly quickly due to my ability to communicate with the union.

More specific job daily duties would include managing work flow and assignments. Managing and assuring the work force are meeting daily production, safety, and load factor goals. In one 10 hour day, I will generally walk 8 miles as I venture the dock and check in with employees to ensure they have what they need or communicate further guidance on other assignments.

YRC is working on re-establishing themselves in the market place, with that said, there is a lot of pressure to meet rising goals. I welcome the challenge and feel the culture is turning around. This could quite possibly be the hardest part and most enjoyable part of the job. I want to see the company succeed, so day in and day out, I give it 110%. The flip side of that is communicating and encouraging the employees to buy into the fact that we can make a difference. The union employees have taken a 15% pay cut and no longer receive a contribution to their pension, so moral and belief in the company culture is down. What I've tried to bring to this job is synergy. Getting people to once again work together and believe everyone is on the same team, is where a lot of my efforts go.

YRC is undoubtedly
  more... in a questionable state to whether or not the company will survive. Nonetheless, I am happy to be working and they have treated me well.  less
Pros
learning new skills and fine tuning my communication/management skills
Cons
no lunch or set breaks. work weekends, nights, 10-12 hour days, holidays and stressful situations.
Its a job
Driver / Dock (Current Employee) –  Santa AnaJuly 13, 2013
always on the run making deliveries and pick ups. during busy season. In the slow season no job security.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YRC Worldwide Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9