Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corporation

Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corporation Employer Reviews

Bad management
OR (Current Employee), BethelJuly 22, 2014
Pros: nothing!
Cons: tuns!!
I came from lower 48 to bethel hoping to get some experience so I can developed my career but instead they said I got it all wrong!the supervisor got fired!that hired me And I got transfer in other department! Cauz she made a mistake.hiring me! Beware if ur planing to work in ykhc
If I could turn back time...
Master's level professional (Current Employee), Bethel, AKApril 30, 2014
Pros: some co-workers and some clients, student loan repayment (they don't actually pay for that though)
Cons: cost of living, poor management, no incentives for performance, poor treatment, on-call 24/7, no work-life balance
Understand that this area's cost of living is MUCH higher than Anchorage and the lower 48 so the amount of money they're offering you sounds like a lot but isn't. I was promised (prior to getting here) that I'd get housing, and assistance getting into housing, we didn't need a vehicle, I'd get all kinds of training (because I was a new professional), – more... that they really focus on work-life balance- unfortunately most of it didn't occur.

Instead I came to a place where I was told I wasn't a priority and that it wasn't the recruiters job to find me housing (they just had to get me here)- I moved my entire family here and almost ended up homeless because of the difficulty finding housing here. Within the first 2 weeks of my arrival I was covering for the other professional and have been at least once a month. I was never told I'd be on call but I'm on call at least every other weekend and then for the otheer person's vacations (once a month for a minimum of 4 days). Management is outright discriminatory- (against non-natives) and you're just told to "deal with it". There's an expectation that those who come from the outside will do all the work because you've signed a contract and are stuck because of the location. They'll call you on your days off and during vacation/sick time. YK feels your life while in Bethel should be YK because there, frankly, isn't anything else to do.

The hardest part of the job is knowing that everyday you're coming into a place that doesn't value you or hard work- they fully expect you to leave once your contract ends so they don't work hard to make your life easy... or better in anyway. In fact, it's pretty obvious they could careless which is sad because I planned on staying for 5 years (not anymore!)

What else can I say? The moving allowance is a way to make you stay- who can afford to pay $15,000.00 back if you realize you've made a mistake? Eight hour work days are only for those not on salary and most of the people they bring here are salaried. They constantly have budget issues so the first few months I was here they were laying people off and they're starting that process again.

I came for the student loan repayment- you can get it in other locations that treat their employees with more dignity, respect and that pay better.

THEY DON'T DO PERFORMANCE BASED RAISES.

The town itself is just as depressing as the job... I have a co-worker who says, "you don't live in Bethel, you just survive" and that's reality for most of us. If you come here make sure you can afford the $450.00 trip to get out. For most of us, we're just doing time... waiting for the contract to end. – less
YKHC is a great place to work
Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE-A) (Former Employee), Bethel, AlaskaFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: a caring attitude
Covering a vast area in a remote area of western Alaska, YKHC is a progressive, strategically aware leader of industry in the area.
Work
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee), Bethel, AKOctober 24, 2013
Pros: pto. great work atmosphere.
Cons: lot of people come and go with the job.
I enjoy working with my co-workers and others in different departments (nurses). I like keeping busy. Get stuff done in a timely manner.
Busy company with mainly customer service jobs.
Medical Technician (Former Employee), Bethel, AKSeptember 5, 2013
I say YKHC is a good company. That only needs to get better and how it runs. I hear a lot of good and bad complaint's about YKHC. I say it was a good company when I was working for them back in 2011. But when I left the company, everything started going down slowly.
Working in a health care clinic
Health Aide (Former Employee), Chevak, AKJuly 5, 2013
Pros: encouragement from the community
Cons: none that i know of
A work day in a clinic would be slow some days and days where we have many patients to take care of. I've learned to maintain my anxieties of the emergencies to help the people with a life or death emergency. We are about a 1 hour air miles away from the nearest hospital and many times the weather is not cooperating with our patients health. There would – more... be days where we spend at least 48-72 hours in the clinic monitoring them till the Paramedics arrive. Working with the other health aides is very incredible all with the same knowledge but at different levels but most comfortable with the high levels of stress. Working in the health field helping people is something I enjoy whether it be a life or death situation. I enjoyed taking the on call phone which answers any emergency calls to giving advice to patients. – less
Dysfunctional Discriminatory Organization
Former e,ployee (Former Employee), Bethel, AKJune 16, 2013
Cons: ineffective management, no raises
None of the managers have management skills. Everything is an emergency. They don't plan anything.

Must be used to being completely cut off from civilization, be prepared.

Non-native citizens often are not included in meetings to improve the workplace.

They rely on grants and federal funds to operate. You are always at the mercy of another organization – more... for needed funds. The funds they do have are not closely monitored, projects are constantly exceeding their budgets, leaving less money for anything else. – less
Productive and stimulating workplace
Data Entry Tech I (Former Employee), Bethel, AKApril 13, 2013
Working at the YKHC is one of the most inspiring and fun things I've done. A typical day was full of routines and meeting people. I learned a lot about what I am capable of doing when it comes to management and responsibility.
The relationship between co-workers was really great! It was always encouraging to go to work and be greeted with smiles.
the – more... hardest part of the job was learning different terms and names of things - but that went fairly quickly.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing goals reached and the feeling of accomplishing something good. – less
productive with a lot of learning and nice people. co-workers very helpful.
Patient Account Clerk (Former Employee), bethel, AKApril 11, 2013
Working at YKHC was a great experience. The environment was nice and welcoming, every worker were helpful and nice. My mornings started with sending the overall reviews from the day before meaning what bills and insurances were posted and how much we received. I learned a lot about how insurance is billed, and how patients are billed for what they were – more... seen for. how to run the programs they use for billing and filling claims with different insurance companies. The management was good, she showed and told us what needed to be done. she was really helpful and showed me how to go about things to make it easier and understandable. overall she was really helpful. the hardest part was looking through all the payments and seeing what payment wasn't made that cause us to be short on the overall balance. I enjoyed the welcoming and how everyone in the department was willing to help me with what I didn't know about the programs we worked with. – less
Good if you want quick money.
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee), Bethel, AKOctober 28, 2012
Pros: they provide housing.
Cons: food is extremely high.
Pay is low for Alaska and the groceries are extremely high! The work is okay. And they provide materials and transportation once you get to Anchorage.
life
COMMUNITY HEALTH AIDE (Former Employee), Saint Mary's AlaskaJune 20, 2012
Pros: knowlege is power
Cons: death
Everyone gets sick, get injured, and require help on healing.
I sure miss working with the elders that was patient enough to wait for me till I was done with a patient. I would hear stories of the past and how the health was takien care of.
Best job advancement opportunities because of geographic location.
Grant Writer (Former Employee), Bethel, AlaskaDecember 16, 2011
Pros: compensation, job advancement
Cons: location
This is the largest non-government employer in rural Alaska. There is a lot of opportunity for advancement because there are so few people that are willing to work in rural Alaska. YKHC is for workers that enjoy community, culture and remote places. It is also the place I would return to work at immediately, if I were to return to rural Alaska.