Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corporation Employee Reviews

Perfect place for advancecments
Recruitment Manager (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKNovember 16, 2017
YKHC is a great company to work for and grow in, there are many opportunities for promotions and training. YKHC is growing quickly and its a great to gain experience and knowledge. I believe YKHC is a leading healthcare company that is setting standards for the industry.
Health Administration
Risk Management Specialist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKNovember 15, 2017
Receiving, reviewing and processing paperwork. While employed with Yukon Kuskokwim Health Corporation, I learned to provide information of our department during New Employee Orientation. Management was very professional and assisted other for success. The culture of the organizations supported traditional values while serving Health Care to community and rual areas. I enjoyed working with YKHC because the excellent benefits along with the opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Wonderful caring place
Na
Interim Recruitment Manager & HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKOctober 17, 2017
Not sure what there is to review other than it's pretty standard place of employment. Depending on what department you work in will determine the pace.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
inequities
Micro management
Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKOctober 13, 2017
Too much micro management. Had to be careful what you do and say. What they say and do was the opposite then what they said and did. Not fun too work.
Pros
Cons
stressful
great place to work
Temporary Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKSeptember 20, 2017
YKHC was a great place to work, where you could interact with new people, or with people you already knew. Since Bethel is the hub of the Kuskokwim, you often get to bump into people you know.
Health Aid (Former Employee) –  Saint Marys, AKAugust 13, 2017
If you wanted to do more they are open to training you and advancing you. Good company to work for, they encourage your growth. Sometimes miss the job security I had with them.
Pros
Good pay good hours and free trainings
Cons
Sometimes you have to work with ediots
Health care system
REGISTRATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKJuly 27, 2017
The corporation is great to work with, I was patiently trained until I got comfortable with the job independently. There are great benefits and holiday pay and leave hours. I enhanced my knowlege in computers and clerical administration.
Benefits
Cons
short breaks
You Get What You Give
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKJune 6, 2017
Personally, it was tough as a new nurse but I'm thankful for the experience. I learned so much about myself, community needs, Yupik culture, the land, and so much more. Come with and open mind.
Pros
Student loan repayment, competitive pay, unique culture ...
Cons
expensive, high turnover rate (especially managers)
Busy
Dental Assistant Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Hooper Bay, AK 99604April 13, 2017
Always busy but fun environment.
Learned how to utilize a couple x-rays.
Learned how to schedule patients.
Management was fair.
Hardest part of job was dealing with angry patients.
Work Place rich in culture
Registered Nurse, Inpatient (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKMarch 26, 2017
Retention rate is typical of small rural community. Including employees in management. Work week is long, 7 days on, 7 days off. Employees sometimes burn out by the ends of the week. However the patients make it all worthwhile.
Pros
Gym membership, gas discounts.
Cons
Long work weeks.
Great hospital with a lot of caring employees.
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKFebruary 20, 2017
The location leaves a lot to be desired because the town is so small; but the people definitely make up for that. It is a true community where everyone watches out for everyone.
Pros
Great vacation package
Cons
Should evaluate more closely those placed in management positions
Fun working as a patient Registrator
Dental Patient Registration (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKNovember 22, 2016
A lot of phone calls, scheduling appointments for dental patients. Medicaid/Denali kid care, faxing. Fun working in a busy work environment.
Pros
Dental work when hardly any patients
Cons
Short breaks
Summer Hire
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKJune 29, 2016
I got to have experience and training in medical and pharmaceutical terminology. Preformed medication preparations in standard quality and guidelines under the direct supervision of a licensed pharmacist at the Yukon Kuskokwim Delta Regional Hospital. Provided customer service to health care providers and patients through direct contact in person, email, and via phone, and referred inquiries to the pharmacist. Preformed data entry, regularly completed paperwork, entered prescription and insurance billing information to patient profiles.
take the good with the bad...
Health care professional (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKApril 27, 2016
This is a hard place to live and work for the first 6-12 months. The salary and benefits (4.5 week pto, paid federal holidays, POSSIBLY student loan repayment, relocation, retention bonuses) can make it seem totally worth it but remember the contract locks you into paying certain things back should you back out and the student loan repayment penalties are more than you receive so you'll be leaving further in debt. If you can get past that, the extreme cold and darkness, the initial hatred for being an "outsider" you really can make it a great place to live. Management definitely leaves a lot to be desired but most of your coworkers are pretty great and the clients and community are pretty amazing as well. I'd honestly go back if management and salary improved.

PS- it is very expensive to live here which is why I said salary was mediocre. Most items are double price (gallon of milk 9.00) and housing is easily 1000/month for a very tiny place- you'll want to look online for housing before you go because it's very difficult to find
Pros
benefits, colleagues, time off
Cons
remote location and expenses, management, salary is better in Anchorage
Worst company ive ever worked for
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Bethel akApril 1, 2016
Two words DONT GO. The electrical superviser has anger issues. Food is high cost foreman was smoking pot at lunch at the sobering center. You get treated like a kid. The place is a hole like a 3rd world country
Pros
You get paid
Cons
Life is sucks there the electrical admin no safe no proper lotl
Bethel is a depressing pit
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKMarch 31, 2016
I was a construction hand building the new Sobering Center. Extremely unorganized! The compensation was low, and the food, you had to provide yourself was extremely high.
Also they worked from 7 am to 6 pm , with an hour lunch, and no breaks! This is against Ak labor law, as your being paid for 10 hour days, but actually working 10.5 !!! The company had you sign a form saying " you agree with this", or you would be terminated before you started!!
Also you were hired as a " Temporary Hand", so their was no medical ins. offered, or any other type of benefit, other than a paycheck!! Work atmosphere was very low, lots of complaints. Seems their always looking for help and I can understand why!! :-(
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
To many to list
The Long Term Care Facility
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKJanuary 21, 2016
The nurses who have been there longer, do nothing but take all the overtime, and are constantly looking for things to get the new people fired for. They don't pay bonuses as promised, housing is a pain in the tush, and food is out of this world. constant turmoil with staff at LTC, and most of the natives that work there are extremely lazy. Run don't walk from any job listings from this employer
Pros
nothing
Cons
housing, food, gas, middle of nowhere
good corporation
Temporary Construction Laborer (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKNovember 17, 2015
If I were a full time employee, the benefits are very good. The supervisor was on site once in a while, had no real supervision. I got along with all my co workers, it was fun to work with them.
Pros
good pay
Cons
picky managers/supervisors on who they hire
Easily the worst place I've worked
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKSeptember 22, 2015
As part of the construction department, they categorize you as a temporary employee. You may work 50 hours a week, but you will get no compensation or benefits beyond just a pay check. The company does not promote from within, but that may be due to the very high turn over rate. The office staff are often under qualified and definitely under motivated to perform their jobs. (Don't get me started on trying to get the travel department to book you a flight out before the planes are full)

YKHC is located in Bethel, Alaska which happens to be an exceedingly expensive place to live, $10 for a gallon of milk!?

If you are in the medical field and have a philanthropist heart, then Bethel may be for you.

Its not very pretty (you wont find any post cards of this part of Alaska), its famous for drunks and exotic std combinations and everyone is in need.
Pros
Its a great place to avoid! Philanthropy opportunities abound
Cons
Please refer back to review
It was a fun job because I got to interact with patient's and be able to connect with our culture.
Personal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Quinhagak, AKSeptember 18, 2015
I got to see many patient's, interact and learn from the elders and people whom were in need of help with daily activities.
Pros
While traveling to different patients homes I got to walk and have fresh air.
Cons
There were things I didn't want to do but was a have to thing.