Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Summer Hire
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKJune 29, 2016
I got to have experience and training in medical and pharmaceutical terminology. Preformed medication preparations in standard quality and guidelines under the direct supervision of a licensed pharmacist at the Yukon Kuskokwim Delta Regional Hospital. Provided customer service to health care providers and patients through direct contact in person, email, and via phone, and referred inquiries to the pharmacist. Preformed data entry, regularly completed paperwork, entered prescription and insurance billing information to patient profiles.
Worst company ive ever worked for
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Bethel akApril 1, 2016
Two words DONT GO. The electrical superviser has anger issues. Food is high cost foreman was smoking pot at lunch at the sobering center. You get treated like a kid. The place is a hole like a 3rd world country
Pros
You get paid
Cons
Life is sucks there the electrical admin no safe no proper lotl
Bethel is a depressing pit
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKMarch 31, 2016
I was a construction hand building the new Sobering Center. Extremely unorganized! The compensation was low, and the food, you had to provide yourself was extremely high.
Also they worked from 7 am to 6 pm , with an hour lunch, and no breaks! This is against Ak labor law, as your being paid for 10 hour days, but actually working 10.5 !!! The company had you sign a form saying " you agree with this", or you would be terminated before you started!!
Also you were hired as a " Temporary Hand", so their was no medical ins. offered, or any other type of benefit, other than a paycheck!! Work atmosphere was very low, lots of complaints. Seems their always looking for help and I can understand why!! :-(
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
To many to list
The Long Term Care Facility
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKJanuary 21, 2016
The nurses who have been there longer, do nothing but take all the overtime, and are constantly looking for things to get the new people fired for. They don't pay bonuses as promised, housing is a pain in the tush, and food is out of this world. constant turmoil with staff at LTC, and most of the natives that work there are extremely lazy. Run don't walk from any job listings from this employer
Pros
nothing
Cons
housing, food, gas, middle of nowhere
good corporation
Temporary Construction Laborer (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKNovember 17, 2015
If I were a full time employee, the benefits are very good. The supervisor was on site once in a while, had no real supervision. I got along with all my co workers, it was fun to work with them.
Pros
good pay
Cons
picky managers/supervisors on who they hire
Easily the worst place I've worked
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKSeptember 22, 2015
As part of the construction department, they categorize you as a temporary employee. You may work 50 hours a week, but you will get no compensation or benefits beyond just a pay check. The company does not promote from within, but that may be due to the very high turn over rate. The office staff are often under qualified and definitely under motivated to perform their jobs. (Don't get me started on trying to get the travel department to book you a flight out before the planes are full)

YKHC is located in Bethel, Alaska which happens to be an exceedingly expensive place to live, $10 for a gallon of milk!?

If you are in the medical field and have a philanthropist heart, then Bethel may be for you.

Its not very pretty (you wont find any post cards of this part of Alaska), its famous for drunks and exotic std combinations and everyone is in need.
Pros
Its a great place to avoid! Philanthropy opportunities abound
Cons
Please refer back to review
It was a fun job because I got to interact with patient's and be able to connect with our culture.
Personal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Quinhagak, AKSeptember 18, 2015
I got to see many patient's, interact and learn from the elders and people whom were in need of help with daily activities.
Pros
While traveling to different patients homes I got to walk and have fresh air.
Cons
There were things I didn't want to do but was a have to thing.
Emergency Room RN
Registered Nurse-Emergency Department (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AlaskaJune 20, 2015
My typical work day begins from 7:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m from Thursday through the following Wednesday. I learned to prioritize my workload more so compared to working in the outpatient clinics. I have amazing co-workers who work together to achieve the best possible patient outcome in collaboration with various departments and accepting facilities for trauma and critical care patients. The hardest part of my job is working seven straight days, although the week off afterwards is rewarding. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the art of nursing and education to help the people of the Yukon-Kuskokwim area.
Loved my patients!
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKMarch 6, 2015
I loved my job and enjoyed the patient care. The patient care in this job has far and beyond been my favorite job-EVER! I worked with a PA who I had great respect.
Pros
pay, patient care
Cons
cost of living in rural alaska, lack of flexibility for work schedule
Challenging and rewarding place to work
Field Environmental Health Officer (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKFebruary 25, 2015
YKHC is a great place to work if you are passionate about improving the health of AK Natives. The company gives you great opportunities to progress in any field and is very supportive.
Pros
interesting, diverse work
Cons
being so remote there are alot of people who work here that do a terrible job, since they are hard to replace, they continue to work and put in little to no effort.
Highly Productive
Psychiatric Technician Trainee (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKDecember 23, 2014
I had fun working with clients. The job was a great career. The other staff members made the rules and guidelines clear and concise.
Advanced healthcare for in home clients
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKOctober 15, 2014
Provide services to clients, interact in a playful way. Cook, clean all over the home. Process daily progress notes about clients.
Pros
providing caring & helpful services to all clients
Director of Grant Development
Director Grant Development (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKSeptember 24, 2014
Great job! I loved it, Unfortunately I have been working for YKHC for many years. Once I organized the department I found myself with less to do and not busy enough for my day. The organization was going through a reduction in force and my position was ancillary supporting administration. I moved in unknowing I may be terminated.
Pros
experienced in healthcare. long term employment and very familiar with organizational history.
Cons
reduction in force.
YKHC Security
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKAugust 6, 2014
This job only challenge was the swing shifts. A typical Day - Night job with a lot of paper work involved definitely taught me about responsibilities within a corporation. Although I worked only nights to begin with I enjoyed it even more when I was alloyed to take a day shift which got me to become very busy with patients and employees.
Pros
base pay excellent, insurance benefits exceptional.
Cons
progression at a minimal, amount of work required at a minimum.
Bad management
OR (Current Employee) –  BethelJuly 22, 2014
I came from lower 48 to bethel hoping to get some experience so I can developed my career but instead they said I got it all wrong!the supervisor got fired!that hired me And I got transfer in other department! Cauz she made a mistake.hiring me! Beware if ur planing to work in ykhc
Pros
nothing!
Cons
tuns!!
If I could turn back time...
Master's level professional (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKApril 30, 2014
Understand that this area's cost of living is MUCH higher than Anchorage and the lower 48 so the amount of money they're offering you sounds like a lot but isn't. I was promised (prior to getting here) that I'd get housing, and assistance getting into housing, we didn't need a vehicle, I'd get all kinds of training (because I was a new professional), that they really focus on work-life balance- unfortunately most of it didn't occur.

Instead I came to a place where I was told I wasn't a priority and that it wasn't the recruiters job to find me housing (they just had to get me here)- I moved my entire family here and almost ended up homeless because of the difficulty finding housing here. Within the first 2 weeks of my arrival I was covering for the other professional and have been at least once a month. I was never told I'd be on call but I'm on call at least every other weekend and then for the otheer person's vacations (once a month for a minimum of 4 days). Management is outright discriminatory- (against non-natives) and you're just told to "deal with it". There's an expectation that those who come from the outside will do all the work because you've signed a contract and are stuck because of the location. They'll call you on your days off and during vacation/sick time. YK feels your life while in Bethel should be YK because there, frankly, isn't anything else to do.

The hardest part of the job is knowing that everyday you're coming into a place that doesn't value you or hard work- they fully expect you to leave once your contract ends so they don't work hard to make your
  more... life easy... or better in anyway. In fact, it's pretty obvious they could careless which is sad because I planned on staying for 5 years (not anymore!)

What else can I say? The moving allowance is a way to make you stay- who can afford to pay $15,000.00 back if you realize you've made a mistake? Eight hour work days are only for those not on salary and most of the people they bring here are salaried. They constantly have budget issues so the first few months I was here they were laying people off and they're starting that process again.

I came for the student loan repayment- you can get it in other locations that treat their employees with more dignity, respect and that pay better.

THEY DON'T DO PERFORMANCE BASED RAISES.

The town itself is just as depressing as the job... I have a co-worker who says, "you don't live in Bethel, you just survive" and that's reality for most of us. If you come here make sure you can afford the $450.00 trip to get out. For most of us, we're just doing time... waiting for the contract to end.
Pros
some co-workers and some clients, student loan repayment (they don't actually pay for that though)
Cons
cost of living, poor management, no incentives for performance, poor treatment, on-call 24/7, no work-life balance
YKHC is a great place to work
Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE-A) (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AlaskaFebruary 28, 2014
Covering a vast area in a remote area of western Alaska, YKHC is a progressive, strategically aware leader of industry in the area.
Pros
a caring attitude
Work
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKOctober 24, 2013
I enjoy working with my co-workers and others in different departments (nurses). I like keeping busy. Get stuff done in a timely manner.
Pros
pto. great work atmosphere.
Cons
lot of people come and go with the job.
Busy company with mainly customer service jobs.
Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKSeptember 5, 2013
I say YKHC is a good company. That only needs to get better and how it runs. I hear a lot of good and bad complaint's about YKHC. I say it was a good company when I was working for them back in 2011. But when I left the company, everything started going down slowly.
Working in a health care clinic
Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Chevak, AKJuly 5, 2013
A work day in a clinic would be slow some days and days where we have many patients to take care of. I've learned to maintain my anxieties of the emergencies to help the people with a life or death emergency. We are about a 1 hour air miles away from the nearest hospital and many times the weather is not cooperating with our patients health. There would be days where we spend at least 48-72 hours in the clinic monitoring them till the Paramedics arrive. Working with the other health aides is very incredible all with the same knowledge but at different levels but most comfortable with the high levels of stress. Working in the health field helping people is something I enjoy whether it be a life or death situation. I enjoyed taking the on call phone which answers any emergency calls to giving advice to patients.
Pros
encouragement from the community
Cons
none that i know of

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9