Yuma Regional Medical Center

Yuma Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Inconsistent Leadership/Extreme Favortism/"Yes" men
Confidential. (Current Employee) –  Yuma, AZApril 22, 2016
Challenges: Highly dysfunctional organization. 5 CEO'S in 5 years; transitions between CEO'S led to multiple new Director positions being created expressly for specific staff members without the benefit of job postings or equitable opportunities for staff not on the "highly favored" list. This was (sadly) a deliberate strategy. In contrast, other staff must endure greuling interview "panels" for some roles. And this is all during a hiring "semi-freeze". Very inconsistent application processes.

All Vice Presidents are new in their role, and 80% came from outside this city prior to being named to the role...bringing more outside staff in to implement new processes. This is another example of appointing "who-you-know" to highly paid roles without benefit of due diligence and equity in opening those new positions for current qualified staff to be considered. Total disregard for standard Human Resources Best Practice: Know a Vice President at YRMC? Step right up to get a job created JUST for you...at a very nice salary!

Meanwhile, loyal, quality staff are told employee benefits and salaries represent a drain on the organization...and to focus on LEAN processes. Those same decision makers ensure there is no room for staff who choose Yuma full time (weekends included), whose families live here, (not out of town or out of state), who choose to make a real difference in their free time in the local community...with no fanfare, but because they are grounded here. With 1500 employees, surely there are some worthy of an opportunity...sadly, they will never be given the same level
  more... of support beyond "lip service".

Here is a thought: stop making up highly paid titles and job descriptions for your own minions! Evaluate / Analyze your current talent pool and make strategic decisions based on the experts you already employ, who are committed to the organization and local community.
Pros
It is the only Acute Care Hospital in town...
Cons
Contradictory leadership practices: Do What I Say; Do Not Focus On What I Am Doing
I love working with my associates, and I learned much and everyday was a pleasure to work at Yuma Regional Medical Hospital,
Admitting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZApril 18, 2016
I had to relocate other wise I would still be at this hospital as it is a great place to work with. Our suvpervisor and next in line allways around if one of us needed assistance. I worked at the Emergency department and it is a very fast pace enviroment. We in admitting/associates had a good relationship.
Pros
We were able to take 15 minutes every hour to walk for our health, I worked the third shift and many time dinner was provided.
Cons
We were given many short breaks and always someone to cover for each other
I loved my jobs and enjoyed helping the patients
Scheduling Specialist (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZApril 12, 2016
Working for Yuma Regional Medical Center I did a variety of things through out the day and I would do it again if given a chance. Hardest part of working there was when I worked on the night shift but it was a great experience.
Physicains unprofessional
Travel Staff Float RN (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZFebruary 7, 2016
The physicians here have their way with you. If you stick up for yourself they can and will have you fired. They are short physicians so they do not care about their nursing staff. Managers make comments that "I do not like Travelers" and "The older nurses are just hear for the money".
Pros
nursing staff work as team
Cons
management, human resources, physicians, harassment, hostile work environment
Business Associate III/USR/Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZNovember 19, 2015
Good company to work for. No room for advancement unless you have your nursing degree. No degree no advancement possible.
Alot of work, but felt like an outsider
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZOctober 18, 2015
Good working relationships with co-workers, but it was hard to feel included as an employee there. Travel workers had a hard time feeling like they were part of a team.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
No benefits for travel workers
It's okay.
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZOctober 12, 2015
Not my favorite place to work. My husband is a Border Patrol Agent here in Yuma, and I work here sometimes when I want to be a home with him.
Pros
Near my husband.
Cons
Low salary.
Great to get out there and give back to the community
Volunteer Work (Drive for supplies) (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZOctober 7, 2015
I enjoyed my time volunteering and would recommend this organization to anyone who wants to dedicate some hours for a good cause.
Fun place to work
Financial Counselor (Current Employee) –  Yuma, AZSeptember 17, 2015
I love helping people indeed and that doesn't that don't know what are other Financial offer this hospital has to offer. But they have to do with manager and coordinators and supervisor. They make there own rules and are not fair with their employees. There is a lot of favoritism going on between supervisor manager and coordinator. that what makes jobs hard on are hole department because we want to work as a team and we spend almost all day there that is like a second home and that is an impossible when are coordinators has to much favoritism. But a very great company to work for its all about patient and if it wasn't for them we would not be there. But it make are job hard to complete are daily task with management like this and I think HR need to have a close eye on this because a lot of good employee are leaving are department because of this.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
alot of favoritism and better management
Great fun atmosphere
Education Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZSeptember 8, 2015
I can only say this from the HR perspective. The HR team works really well together. I was there for a short year, but the camaraderie was excellent!
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Used to be on Yuma's Best Place to work - has now become impersonal.
HR Employment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZAugust 25, 2015
Management is all about the building improvements, finances, etc. Has lost touch with the employees. Employees are often not given the tools to suceed.
Director of Materials Management (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZJuly 31, 2015
A place where the employees love their hospital, jobs and are dedicated to the care of our patients. However the recent requirement for all Directors to hold an MBA or be willing to obtain it with in the next 5 years has created job movement and turnover.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Executives and Management are experience massive turnover
very educational
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZJuly 29, 2015
I enjoyed helping those in need and learning new things. It is a great place to explore the medical field. It is a nice place to work.
Hard to work in conditions.
C.N.A. - Clinical Associate (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZJuly 6, 2015
Needs to concentrate more on patient care and let personal issues go. They are minute compared to the job at hand. Accept people when they are good at a task, and not be negative towards what a person can do. If someone does not understand something? You teach them in a different way, not accuse them of trying to talk their way out of something. How does that benefit the patients? It doesn't!
Check yourself at the door no just for patients sake, but for the ability to work with co-workers as well so your personal dislikes don't stop one another from working together for the sake of patient care.

A typical day at work is taking care of 13-14 patients at once. The phones we had with us to call each other when needed was not always working or they never answered when needed. The management at the time was poor. If a negative situation happened between two employees, the supervisor would send one the persons to the other to talk it out with no supervision of the conversation. She never did her job correctly as a manager should have. There were many glitches in the EPIC system, and tech support was no help. I would sign in to my name and many times someone else would pop up. I unfortunately never realized it until too late. It would show my name when I signed in, then the computer changed to someone else's account . I tried many times reporting this, and got told that nothing can be done about this issue unless more then one person complains of a similar problem. They need to correct this line of thought.

On this Job, I did learn phlebotomy, how to remove IV's, Folley's, and
  more... take stool/urine samples. I also learned how to do finger sticks which is checking the glucose levels of a patient. I learned how to transport a patient from wheel chair to bed, gurney to bed, and the different ways to transport a patient from bed to bed.
There was also lunch breaks where I've had to watch the whole floor as a CNA while other CNA's went on break. A whole floor can count up to 30 patients. The hardest part was dealing with malfunctioned phones when communication was needed, dealing with uncooperative co-workers when help was needed, and having others disappear on you when after they said they could help you.

The most enjoyable part of the job was actually the patients, and lunch breaks. I also loved phlebotomy, and documenting. I also had learned many other skills while working there. I never got to turn in my skills check list, but I have learned these skills as mentioned and singed off on them.
Pros
It paied 10.50 almost right off the bat.
Cons
Lots of unsolved issues.
Fast paced and enjoayable work place.
Cafe Aide (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZJuly 1, 2015
Working at YRMC was a great learning experience. Getting to work with both patients and YRMC staff gave me the opportunity to learn how to handle different customers, and taught me that there are ways to approach people who may not be in the best of moods. The hardest part of the job was having patients who weren't doing well. The most enjoyable part was getting to make their day a little better by making them smile somehow.
Pros
Fast paced.
Cons
Mandatory breaks.
good place to work (IF)
environmental services (Former Employee) –  yuma azApril 30, 2015
Not a well organized Department. Environmental Services will train you for two days then throw you out there by yourself without the proper training. Besides, we only get two 15 minutes breaks and a 30 minute launch. The management lacks of communication with the staff. The (PAY) is close to minimum wage. Plus, if hired by EVS is not full-time but( PER-DIEM) meaning ( AS NEEDED). If you decide to apply for this job, do not say I did not warned you.
Pros
Benefits if full-time
Cons
pay/ management
ambitious and hard worker
Clinic Assistant (Current Employee) –  yuma AZApril 8, 2015
A typical day at work is patient care, we see about 150 patients a day and assist with all procedures.
I have learned a lot in medical terms, and medication
The managment is improving
My co-workes are very hard working and awesome people to work with.
The hardest part of the job is making sure we administer the correct medication to patient and updating their medication list
Is I can get to put a smile on my patients face
Pros
Felixable
Cons
Mangament
Changes, changes, changes
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZMarch 9, 2015
Edix and Spheris became one and the same, with many many changes that cost the transcriptionists valuable time and money. Time is money when transcribing.
Pros
worked independently
Cons
many, many changes
Wonderful place to be employed!
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Yuma, AZFebruary 7, 2015
I love being a part of Yuma Regional Medical Center. It is an awesome place to volunteer and I learn something new there everyday.
stimulating, as only hospital in the city it has a very wide client base.
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZJanuary 8, 2015
The unit I worked on was labeled tele/obs but it was more than that, especially in the winter. This is the only hospital in Yuma, Arizona and the population in Yuma more than doubles when winter comes to the rest of North America as Yuma might have some chilly nights but generally the highs are in the 60-70's. Because of the influx of winter visitors emergency room gets slammed with patients that have no primary care physician. The warm weather also welcomes the homeless, many of whom have psychiatric issues so during the winter season the tele/obs floor becomes a med/tele/psych/detox/obs/inpatient floor. A typical day has you admitting and discharging multiple patients. at times having multiple full team turn arounds. The hospitalists are just as busy as the nursing staff so it is important to stay vigilant in regard to lab results etc because the doctors are counting on the nursing staff to catch any abnormal results. It was also necessary to stay on top of doctors for orders that are needed, especially when the hospital went live with EPIC and some orders were no longer automatic. Such as when a patient was admitted to tele/obs they were not placed on telemetry without a telemetry order. I don't know why the box wasn't check marked when the admit was for a telemetry bed. When the winter visitors are scheduled to arrive the winter staff is scheduled to arrive. These are either Travel staff or Winter Workers and are generally the same staff that come back year after year and all are happy to see familiar faces. The staff there are great. All are willing to give a helping hand  more... when asked. The most enjoyable part of my job was the job, the taking care of the patients. I loved working with other team members to ensure my patients received the best care possible. I loved floating to other floors. Hospital management take the responsibility of being the only hospital in that corner of the state seriously. Leading specialists have be brought into the city and treatment centers, such as the cardiac and oncology centers are cutting edge. Many hospitals have tuition reimbursement but I was impressed by the attitude at this hospital where so many of the staff took advantage of the program and helped each other out with classes. It was great to see people come in to start work at the hospital in entry level positions with few English speaking skills and slowly work their way up through the junior college to get their RN and be in the BSN programs. I have only one negative to say about my stay there. I think that directors should have to answer to someone especially when the medical director's response when discussing this person is "stay away from her". I have had two surgeries at YRMC and I think it is a good hospital to be a patient in and a good hospital to work in.  less
Pros
great staff, good benefits. good programs
Cons
winters can be crazy, a few bad apples