YWCA York Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work is an under statement!
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Access YorkOctober 16, 2017
This all pertains to ACCESS YORK! Director is a liar&incompetent CSO is a joke Prog Coord is a liar.Nepotism rules Felt like I was back with my Abuser
Pros
Clients that are serviced
Cons
Hostile work environment, Cliques, Poor management, Never gives praise, Bold face liars, Staff breaches confidentiality of clients and staff, Re victimization of clients and staff
Stress and poor management make this place awful
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PAJuly 10, 2017
The managers are grossly incompetent. They stick up for each other and leave the employees to fend for themselves. The job itself is stressful, but manageable. I would have loved the job if it wasn't for management.
stressful but rewarding environment
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 26, 2017
this job is very stressful and emotionally and physically draining but rewarding at times. Takes patience and willing to work with coworkers to solve problems
Fun and fulfilling place to work!
Child Care (Current Employee) –  York, PAOctober 27, 2016
The YWCA in York is such a fun place to work. The people are like family and everyone really works together as a team. I have had some really terrible jobs in the past, but this is one job where I really never feel stressed because I always know I have support from so many people I work with including upper management. I have 4 young children and I never have a problem balancing work/life at this job! I love all the good the YWCA does for the community and I am happy to be a part of that!
Pros
Flexibility and available childcare in the same building
Cons
Can be hectic at times, but not anymore than any other job.
Very flexible schedule
SACC teacher (Current Employee) –  York County, PAOctober 26, 2016
Worked here for 4 years. Things are definitely improving with the new CEO. Pay has been raised, annual increases are back and my new manger works around my school schedule! Definitely recommend for college students.
Pros
Free breakfasts and snacks with the kids
Cons
Kids can be tiring
Good things are happening
Victim services (Current Employee) –  York, PAAugust 7, 2016
Pay increases and higher minimum wage have really help turn things around. The workload at a nonprofit will always be intense but the atmosphere is very positive. More training helps too. Overall is a really good place to work. I think the negative comments are a thing of the past.
Pros
Friendly people, wages on the rise, good mission
Cons
Benefits aren't great, not much down time
Fast paced work environment
Child Care Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  York, PAAugust 24, 2015
Enjoyed working for the company in the beginning but then it seemed politics and drama seemed to cause a lot of turn over within the company. then there was lay offs and closures of our Child Care Centers
Upper management terrible to work for
finance department (Current Employee) –  york paJuly 13, 2015
Four CEOs in the past three years (if you include interim) and a 50% turnover in senior staff has taken its toll Most lower level staff are very dedicated and hardworking, including child care staff and victim services staff. But some Senior Staff (understandably overworked and stressed) can be very disrespectful, yelling, swearing, etc. I've seen very little advancement from within despite numerous job openings. Pay is not competitive. Environment used to make low pay worthwhile, you really felt part of a team and respected. Now it is low pay and no respect. Hopefully things change soon with new CEO, because mission is worthwhile and organization has had good community support.
Pros
some really great people there and good impact on community
Cons
lack of respect, low pay
The most in comfortable place I have ever been employed
. (Former Employee) –  YorkMarch 7, 2015
The program I worked for displayed a lot of prejudices. Even though they claimed the opposite, they were not open or understanding to cultures other than their own. Incompetent supervisors & The management was absolutely clueless to what was going on. Very poor communication & not open to any change.
Fun temporary job
Lifeguard/Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  York, PASeptember 20, 2013
I worked here over the summer as a camp counselor at Camp Cannedion. It was fun, but some of the staff were not high-quality and some of the children werw out of control with little support from administration. There are a lot of different positions, that was just my experience. I would definetly return next summer because I did enjoy the activities and set up.
Pros
Working with at risk youth, fun activities, outdoors all day
Cons
Behavior, pay, long hours
Sent me on a month long interview process, offered me the job, then rescinded
Childcare Teacher (Former Employee) –  ChildcareDecember 17, 2012
I applied over a month and a half ago for a job that I'm very qualified for. I was told that I was the favorite candidate, then received a voicemail in which i was verbally offered the job (I have the message saved). Then the director , suddenly stopped taking my calls, made me interview at least half a dozen more times and was generally rude to me. Then,only after I badgered her about the position via email, she finally got back to me and said that they had offered it someone else, an internal candidate.

Thanks for wasting a month and a half of my life and lying to me. You're all real live examples of YWCA principles in action.
has a lot of very different job opportunities
Community Education Specialist/Volunteer Liaison (Former Employee) –  York, paMay 31, 2012
every department is very different but there are a lot of opportunities