YWCA Employee Reviews

Great Stepping Stone
Specialist (Current Employee) –  United StatesMay 19, 2017
From my own experience, this is a great organization to work for if you are a student or are an entry level professional. There is a lot of flexibility and will for the most part work with your school hours. I was able to work part time and graduate with my bachelors while working here. I would recommend this organization to others.
Pros
Flexible, Calm Environment
Cons
Chances to increase pay are limited.
They Are Friendly
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Gary, INMay 18, 2017
They are friendly and very helpful and I enjoyed volunteering with the YWCA and helping them with their hands on activites. This could really build really good character for you as a person.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Great place to make lifelong friends and connections
Councilor in Training (Former Employee) –  Mahwah, NJMay 11, 2017
I have met my closest friends at this camp and trust them as future references. I have been part of the YWCA my entire life and it was such a pleasure working there when I became older.
fun
Junior Staff (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 10, 2017
its a summer job you get to meet different kids and staff members. always had activities to do , places to bring the kids to play and have fun wouldnt mind working there
Toxic culture
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  West VirginiaMay 7, 2017
Little regard for the law and grant requirements; well being of those served was superficial; salary not sufficient for hours and expectations; blame others mentatlity
It was grete place work place.
Assistance Teacher (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMay 7, 2017
I really Loved working at the YWCA as a child caregiver.At the time I was new to the country hardly spoke any English, but my boss and my co-workers were my immediate family.They help me through everything.
fun place to work
ASSISTANT Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NY 12306May 4, 2017
-the plus to working for the YWCA was the other Teachers and beautiful facility.
-typical day was happy
-hardest part of job trying to do mandatory after school mtgs, due to
my families needs
Happiest part of day was all morning activities
Pros
other teachers
Cons
management
Ywca
YWCA (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 1, 2017
Each day went smoothly working there. I loved being able to come to work during the summer and give curriculum to he child ages 6-11. My boss was very helpful and we worked really well together
Pros
worked with my schedule, and got child care experience
Cons
None that i can think of
Giving the clients the help they need
In Home Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILApril 29, 2017
Working with the YWCA at first I really enjoyed it. But of course in that field of work it's not always easy finding the best helper suitable for situations . Constantly I was picking up extra shifts at random hours, for random clients because people were not getting the help they need. After a while I got so upset trying to talk to management and they would not do anything about it so I stayed with my schedule. Again, I would cook, clean, their personal hygine. Laundry if needed and and other personal errands the client might need.
Pros
Clients were just amazing to work with
Cons
Always loosing helpers so work over load gets stressful
Rewarding
CASA Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAApril 26, 2017
Working with families and the court system has been a great experience. The CASA specialist are very helpful in directing the volunteers and are available at any time to answer questions.
ywca is a good place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90008April 26, 2017
I worked here as a volunteer for high school credits, I loved it, I learned a lot, and the staff where very helpful, they where very positive, and talented in there crafts.
Pros
learn alot
Cons
fast, must be quick on your feet
Daycare Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXApril 24, 2017
must deal with children ranging from 6 weeks to 3 years of age. This includes opening and closing shifts. Changing diapers, feeding, and teaching a daily curriculum is also included.
Pros
you do not have to work on the weekends
Cons
you may or may not get a lunch break
Wonderful Place To Work
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 24, 2017
The YWCA Central Carolinas is an amazing organization to work for. The mission is actively evident in and in daily use.

Most employees are part-time without benefits, and the pay is average. The trade-off is in the warmth of the people who you work with, the personal gain of working for a group that works to
so positively enhance the lives of others, and the satisfaction in knowing you are a part of something greater than yourself.

I find the management team is grateful for their employees, open to suggestions, willing to try new processes, and readily recognize good work and a job well done.
Pros
Management and Mission
Cons
Average pay and part-time positions
Loved
Shift Advocate (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 23, 2017
I loved working for the Y. I was able to help women overcome homelessness. If I could go back I would management rocks! Very up lifting place to work
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Low pay
Great having my own space in the kitchen
Child Care Cook (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYApril 22, 2017
I cooked for the summer camp and day care. I didn't have but one day of training with the cook that was leaving. I played everything mostly by ear. I was out of my element a little but I enjoyed the challenge and I learned a lot and I do kind of miss that job.
Pros
free lunch because i'm the one cooking it
Cons
short days
Good work environment.
Spanish Coach (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAApril 19, 2017
Good communication from supervisors to staff. Offers good the opportunity to learn about policies and security of children's environment. As a Spanish coach, I had the opportunity to expand the language, in children that in spite of parents are latinos they don't feel engaged with the parent's language.
Pros
childrens are eager to new activies.
Cons
I had to teach in all different sites .
Life changing job
Shelter Advocate (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 17, 2017
I'm glad that I got to work at a place like this. I enjoyed working with survivors of DV. I provided the ladies and some men with resources. I answered hotlines such as DV, SA, and Safeline.
Early Head Start Family Advocate (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAApril 11, 2017
Great atmosphere and management. They do a lot of employee appreciation. Understanding to personal life. Amazing opportunities to support people within the community
Fun workplace
School Age Lead Staff (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYApril 3, 2017
A typical day at work consists programming for children ages 5-12. The activities include arts and crafts, gym, team building during the before and after school program. This is an awarding experience for those who seek to work with children and need to gain experience.
Great company to volunteer at
Crisis Advocate (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILMarch 31, 2017
I gained a lot of experience with working with crisis survivors and it was a great opportunity to be there for someone who needs support. I learned a great deal while volunteering at this agency.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YWCA. Our community is ready to answer.