Zachry Construction Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

State of Flux
Designer III (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 19, 2016
The company is in a state of flux in terms of SOP organization, standards, new hire training, training in general. They have little to no standards set up so everyone does things their own way, which makes it hard to keep track of how different engineers want their work done, as well as following up work someone else has done.
There is also no clear view of expectations, so you are constantly chasing your tail on everything you do.
Pros
Benefits are pretty good, location is nice
Good Money, Long/Slow Work
Electrician Helper (Former Employee) –  Sweeny, TXFebruary 18, 2016
The benefits are nice and the work isn't too difficult to perform, but the general atmosphere and the typical work day leave much to be desired.
Pros
Compensation, Easy Work, Safety
Cons
Prejudice (sometimes racist/sexist)
Awsome job with carreer benefits!
Carpenter Helper (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXSeptember 27, 2015
I started this job as a Fire Watch Temp and was able to advance to a civil worker on regular maintenance at Exxon Mobile. Everyday after the turnaround I learned something new, and exiting to me. The team of workers were helpful and wanted the best for the company. One of the hardest parts of this job is the work hours and adapting to the turnaround days and nights, but I've never complained. Overall great financial and career job with benefits.
Pros
Great pay and good career advancement!
Cons
Long hours, one day off on turnarounds.
productive
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXJanuary 20, 2016
Good company, good benefits, good pay. Productive, management is not so good, traveling outside of town is not good but not too bad, company gives you opportunity to grow.
Good Company
Field Clerk/ Safety Instructor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 4, 2016
Good company to work for, and they provide training for all employees. Very good benefits, Vacation and Sick time. Over all one of the best companies I have ever worked for in my career.
Nepotism
Millwright Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Baytown, TXMarch 29, 2016
I have worked for Zachry off and on for almost 5 years I have made every call out they have asked of me. the one time I do not make a call it seemed as if I was shunned. I was asking for some time to get a planners position I am very capable of doing the job (possibly better than others) instead it was given to another employee. I was told that I was not experienced enough in my field to get the job. the employee that did get the job was a brother of a supervisor who has never been a millwright. never had more than a job for a year. and had only been with the company for a year.
Pros
the co-workers friendly demenor
Cons
the management
great company to work for
Helper 6 (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 2, 2015
Productive day cleaning coal off the tripper floor, my co workers were all pleasant to work with. my supervisor was approachable on any subject and would help out when needed, the hardest part of the job is when it got too hot but had water breaks when needed. Enjoyed when company had outings for the employees.
Pros
Free breakfast, outings with food, games free prizes.
Cons
no benifits until after a year, could get laid off unexpectedly.
Carpenter Helper 3
Carpenter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXMay 28, 2016
If you do not speak Spanish then don't bother. The Freeport LNG location does not take breaks and you're rarely in shade so if you can't bear the heat 60 plus hours a week don't bother.

Communication is a major obstacle. Information does not flow through the chain well.

Safety is stressed HARDCORE, this despite their insistence that you work 10 hours a day with only 30 min lunch and no breaks.

The Spanish speaking people tend to take care of their own, so if you're not a Spanish speaker plan on working your butt off harder than everyone else.

The pay for my position was laborer pay most other places including other Zachrys locations.

I was a carpenter, yet I was only hired as a Carpenter Helper because they weren't hiring carpenters I was told. Most of the time I was doing laborer work.
Pros
Lots of opportunity for hours
Cons
Long hours with NO breaks, Nepotism, favoritism and serious lack of communication.
Very fun place to work great people.
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GAFebruary 22, 2016
The company is great to work for. I was always busy checking reports and verifying accuracy of time entered also performed weekly timesheets audits, assisted with accounts payable and receivable. The Business Manager was on site but was also out of the office 2 or more days a week at other plants. The hardest part of the job was when were working 7 days a week 10-12 hours a day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with were like family also a great boss.
Pros
Free lunches, birthday parties for each person
Cons
long Hours, only a 30 min lunch
fair, honest, driven people to work for
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXSeptember 6, 2015
This is a good solid company that pays good wages/ benefits for a hard working person. Chances for education & advancement are above average. Safety principals are highly stressed. Worker/Management relationship is very smooth.
Pros
excellent pay/ good teamwork
Cons
long work hours
well all in all it's a great place to work.
Pipefitter Foreman (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMay 20, 2016
At the site I currently work at for Zachry, I've found it to be a real good place to work. especially for new guys just breaking out. There is always lots of work going on which in turn offers lots of opportunity for learning. It's really like a big family out there and, like any unit of people there are disagreements but, In the end everyone seems to pull thru unscathed!
Pros
The facility available to everyone for lunch and breaks is top notch.
Cons
theres a few issues of favoritism and chain of command issues but that's every job i guess
Good facility with all the tools and plant support needed
Maintenance Foreman (Former Employee) –  Nederland, TXJuly 30, 2016
Very professional in all activities. Especially the ones were it comes to the safety of employees as well as all people on site.
Learned more about properly checking each job before starting.
Meaning all is good and safe. The people you work with is one of
the most important aspects of the job. They got your back and you got theirs. Its very satisfying knowing the job you have done was done correctly, completely and above all, safely.
Challenging and great work environment
QC Assistant Coordinator / QC Paving Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 10, 2016
Challenging all day, spending time in the office and out in the field to make sure everything was done according to plans and specs.
Basically learned to build bridges from the foundations to the deck, and also in the pavement area, to monitor quality in subgrade, base and concrete-asphalt.
Great management team and excellent co-workers relationship, working as a team.
What I enjoyed the most was at the end of each day, when I looked back and saw my contribution to build a quality product.
Awesome work place, incredible people and atmosphere
Mechanical Drafter II (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 28, 2016
I loved working at this firm, I couldn't have asked for a better first job out of college. I fell in love with the environment and my higher ups. They really put in the effort to get my situated in my new work and helped me grow as a drafter. I respected the quality of work that was created by the team I worked with and the organization of the work flow.
Pros
The people and the work environment
Laborer/Warehouse
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Freeport, TXJune 14, 2016
I had the 6-6, 12 hours a day type of work when I worked for this company. I would clock in and immediately the day would begin as I started going through my paperwork and my assigned duties for the day. I learned that multitasking was something that could be mastered and appreciated in the construction world. My management and co-workers were definitely different than what I had encountered before. They were the type that if you could not hang with the best then you can pack your stuff and leave; so I had to learn quickly and always be better than the person standing next to me if I wanted to have a job. The hardest part of my job was always the long hours and no personal time off. When you get off at 6 pm every night or later you have no personal time to get things done. You end up choosing your work over your relationships, sleep, family, and other things. The most enjoyable part was once I mastered my multitasking skills I was able to do 5 things at once and still take on more responsibility. It helped me when upper management takes a look at my logs and see's how much I do a day; there's a since of pride that goes along with being noticed for how far you come than when you first start.
Pros
money adds up with no days off.
Cons
long hours, no days off
Great plant to work at
Multi Craft Foreman (Former Employee) –  Juliette, GAMay 21, 2016
I had been working at plant scherer for several years under different company's. Good people to work with. Then zachry got the contract. Only down side to zachry was the 2 account managers were grade a donkeys. Most people working there thought they were trying to run everyone off. The did run a lot of people off that had been working at that site for years.One of them was told to leave. By the plant
Pros
GREAT PAY GOOD BENEFITS GOOD PEOPLE
Cons
MANAGEMENT
Great Place To Work
Boiler Maker, Welder (Former Employee) –  Crystal River, FLAugust 10, 2015
Great benefits, pay, employers, etc. loved working with Zachry enjoyed my fellow employees.... the only down fall was such long hours and no days off was rough on my body as well as the third shift.
Pros
per diem
Cons
short breaks, long hours, no days off
Productive, fun workplace, busy with challenge and ability to learn new things
Associate, Project Support (Current Employee) –  Downtown Denver, CODecember 30, 2015
I am responsible for all office supply inventory, which includes special requests from engineers and executives as well as employees. I am also responsible for all kitchens restocking of coffee and food supplies, any catering needs for meetings and conferences, doing all set up and clean up. It falls under my department to work with the teams on large projects, working with specifications, drawings, printing, and anything else that is needed to get a project completed. I am the back up to the reception front desk, greeting of visitors, making travel arrangements when needed, setting up conference calls, WebEx conferences, securing conference rooms, camera’s, and fleet vehicles as needed. The maintenance of all the fleet vehicles falls under me, as well as reporting to our headquarters in San Antonio the mileage and maintenance of all the fleet vehicles on a monthly basis. I am the point of contact for all operations vendors and doing all research for competitive pricing for the operations of the Denver Design Center.
Pros
Downtown Denver
Cons
not very busy, not enough work a lot of the time
Productive and it was a fun place to work
Utility Worker/Utility Supervisor/ S/D Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSJuly 15, 2016
Yes productive and loved what I was doing loved my coworker and the worker that was working for me but management was not good my job was cut and I move to a other and management didn't made the right change with me
Pros
no free lunch but they did feed thier employee alot
Cons
Short breaks and very good healthcare
Committed to Safety
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Cape Canaveral, FLFebruary 4, 2016
Learned a lot while with Co. Identifying different hazards while doing different jobs in many work areas.
Communication is key for any company to strive forward.
All crafts and employees must be in the same page for goals to be achieved. Never looking pass a detail, regardless of how small it might be. Taking every single outcome into consideration, this way there is always many alternatives.
One of the hardest part was being able to cope with the many different personalities. Regardless, learning to communicate with all those personalities was a great learning experience.
Achieving all goals, is and will always be the most fun part of any job. Being able to say that I gave it my best and looking at the final product

Zachry Construction Corporation Reviews by Location