Zale Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Find good management
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 23, 2016
Overall Zales is a great company to work for, just make sure that as you are looking for jobs that the manager at the store is someone that you can work with. Your manager has an essential role in making the culture great or terrible.

A typical day at work includes clocking in, presenting/selling jewelry, re-stocking, daily counts, preparing deposits, vacuuming, cleaning glasses, etc (upon managers request).

The most enjoyable part about the job is helping someone find a ring of their dreams and seeing the per "glow" as they leave the store.
Pros
Job Security, Holiday Time hours and Pay
Cons
Poor Management
If you don't like favoritism, just don't apply!
Repair Sales (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 10, 2015
All about favoritism at Zale Corporation! Everyday, there's changes being made. No kind of stability either! Management is just terrible too! They are all sneaky and big snakes. They will be friends to your face, but behind your back, it's a whole different story! The only way you will make it there, is by keeping to yourself, don't make any friends and don't trust anyone. Just do your job, be ready for the non-stop inbound calls and do not pull your cell phone out either.
Pros
Decent cafe food, benefits are average, and depending on the department, you get Sundays off
Cons
Management! No stability, hardly growth potential, difficult job/work life balance, and major favoritism
Worst job I've ever had
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  North Wales, PAMarch 28, 2016
Not only did I leave this job injured but also mentally stressed out! I began working there for only 1 WEEK and their security gates fell on my head and gave me a concussion and many hospital visits. They never fixed their gates and almost injured me again! The management is scatter-brained and never know what sales or going on or how to manage employees! Some employees would not work all day and be on the phones with personal calls and also would harass coworkers (including myself) but also customers and never got punished! The job became so stressful that I quit due to being threatened by coworker and the management and HR telling me to suck it up when I felt like I was going to be murdered if I worked another day there. Not worth the time or stress!
Cons
Management doesn't care about you or your health
Fun, energetic, competitive environment
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 29, 2016
A typical day at works consists of creating a connection with customers to break down barriers. You want to find out why they are there and find them a product they will like to give as a gift or themselves. I learned a lot about the administrative part of the store and about jewelry. Management works closely with employees to find ways to make them become better sales people. Co-workers are a little hostile as people work on commission, and you want to also meet your hourly sales. The hardest part of the job is finding the right diamond and attempting to let the customer see the value in what they are asking for. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you can talk with many people and create a life long customer.
Jewelry Sales
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 20, 2016
The job is not a hard sales job. Very easy. The hard part is the work life balance. As a store manager it is your job to cover any shifts due to absences. This includes days off.
Pros
Commission on top of salary and a very good bonus monthly
Cons
6-7 day work week
Great work environment for sales
KEY SALES REP (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 22, 2015
Fun place to work with supportive management team with room to grow within the company. There's the usual red tape and upper management politics, but that's expected within a company.
No place to make a living
JEWELRY CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSDecember 30, 2015
You start off with a basic hourly of 8 to 9 dollars a hour with a wopping 1% percent commission. You would think that a billion dollar industry would not still be using dial up netscape internet for their employees. Right. Dial up internet people. You will never advance at this company or even make a decent paycheck unless its around the holiday season. Stay clear and look for better opportunities.
Pros
Cons
Not enough compensation whatsoever
Foster a great working environment, team player, provide great customer service, friendly, and goal focused.
Jewelry Consultant /Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 23, 2016
I am a people person, friendly, loving, and skillful. I have worked with quality personnel and interacted with a variety of cultures. Working with people is a great pleasure! Achieving goals motivates me.
Zales 5 stars
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KsApril 11, 2016
Zales is a good company to work for they are fair to the employes.
They offer Job advancement. I have worked for this company for over 9 years.
A Typical day at work would be clienteling and selling to guests that come visit the store.
What I learned was several things we changed to different soft ware over the years from the cats systems to the x store system.
I was over all fortunate to have the management team I had with in my tender.
The hardest part of the job is selling in a location (mall) which is lacking in foot traffic.
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping guests with the most important event in their lives and seeing their faces when they find that perfect ring.
Pros
discounts
Cons
goals if not attainable
Horrible Horrible Awful Awful
Jewelry Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sebring, FLFebruary 1, 2016
I took a Part-Time job here right at the end of October. No training, but was given a quota and expected to sell. Thank God I'm not dumb because I was able to learn quickly. Commission is RIDICULOUS at 1%. They had me on schedule faithfully until we closed the day before Christmas. I was told to call the following Monday To get my schedule. When I called I was bounced around, hung up on, just treated poorly. After calling the store and demanding to speak to my Manager multiple times and leaving multiple message to my co workers and through text/Voicemail on his ppersonally cell, I finally received a call that Thursday. The Manager stated my services were no longer needed. I have never Stepped foot in another Sales Again. Don't work for this horrible company.
Unstable work enviroment
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHNovember 30, 2015
Working at Zales was like working for a gossip column. The customers ( who had money to spend) were rude and condescending. The manager thought herself above the few employees that worked there making it hard to respect her. Getting a day off was like pulling teeth because there were so few employees. I just wasn't a good place to work. Maybe that's why it shut down.
Pros
Meeting new people all the time
Cons
Management made the job harder than what it was
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  AZJune 30, 2015
Long hours, sometimes no breaks, open to close shifts are the norm not due to emergency situations and sometimes would work more than 5 days without a day off. Found out when you leave the company all the vacation hours you have accrued will NOT be paid out to you. Also, worked a holiday and was not given the day off nor was I paid for it. I was a full-time manager and it was listed as one of my paid holidays. Numerous issues to list but the main take away is this is not a company I wish I had decided to work for.
Pros
Strong team members, love the product & customers
Cons
Long hours, not appreciated, does NOT adhere to State Laws regarding compensation.
Typical Retail Job
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  Horseheads, NYFebruary 2, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Zales, however as with any retail position it gets in the way of life especially with a family. Working every weekend and long nights gets hard. The commission was nice but has changed since I left. Upper management is somewhat disconnected from store levels.
Up-close experiences with all types of everyday people
consultant /customer service (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILDecember 4, 2015
Typical day would begin by preparing all correspondence, checking emails for direction of the day, follow up with duties that still needed to be completed and finally preparing for customer inquiries. ,Everyday brings new experiences, whether it is a sudden challenge, or a day of fun. In essence, it has taught me to take each experience as a life lesson to ensure growth and balance that will prepare you for any workplace that you would be a part of. In all, perseverance, patience, and a positive outlook will definitely be the turning point of how the day will begin and end. Management would double check for completion of priorities of the day and make themselves available to assist employees with concerns to ensure that they would be prepared to meet goals of the day. Co-workers are open and able to work as a team to achieve individual goals as well as total goals of the day along with the atmosphere of a close knit family. Dealing with the public has its challenges, especially being the liaison between the company and the client, but in conclusion, when the operation is successful and the client is happy with your service, the hard work is offset by how rewarding it is to see someone smile!
Working in a jewelry store environment
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  National City, CAMay 16, 2016
In a high competitive industry like Zales, many of my co-workers strived to satisfy customers. The main purpose of this job is to demonstrate the great services and products we provide. We accommodate with various types of credits scores giving up the ability to help customers afford that beautiful diamond ring. The best part of the job were the co-workers i had, we were all from different ethnic backgrounds and were able to help each other out in this pool of diversity.
Pros
Lunch breaks, great staff
Cons
Hours were minimize due to season
Quality Assurance Technician (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 29, 2016
Great company to work for,sad they are moving to Ohio. Signet brought out Zales they are moving the warehouse part of business to Ohio, if not I would stay till retirement.
Pros
Great benefits
Great Place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXJanuary 20, 2016
Awesome
Great place to work at
the management is great and the co workers are even better.
Great time while I was there.
It was a relaxing environment, not too stressful.
Not a happy employee
Jewelry Consultant/Sales (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PASeptember 18, 2015
The women I work with are great but our store has been left without a manager for over 2 months and down 2 full time employees and upper management has not taken care of this, Christmas season is right around the corner and we are way understaffed with no manager. Makes for a hostile enviroment when problems occur and scheduling issues. My problem has been with district management that has left our store understaffed with no management and the reason we are is because the manager of 5 years and a full time consultant left to go to another jewelry store because of the way they were being treated.
Pros
work with nice people
Cons
no management
Slow workplace, hardly any customers except around holidays
Jewelry Consultant (Current Employee) –  Enid, OKFebruary 17, 2016
I usually go to work in the afternoons. We usually have guests for the first couple hours, but after that we hardly have anyone. It's hard to learn new things when guests aren't coming in. The economy doesn't allow it. We have an acting manager right now, but are looking for a permanent one. The hardest part I feel is being able to explain the different color and clarity of the diamonds. The most enjoyable part is working with the ladies I get to work with.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Trying to build up a clientele being there less than a year
Great Company, TERRIBLE co-workers
ASM (Current Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 10, 2015
Culture and management is great, the Jewelry Consultants have no idea of what a team consists of and are like crabs in a barrel pulling each other down for sales. Most unethical place ever.
Pros
Discounts, relaxed environment
Cons
Stealing sales and low comission