Zale Corporation Employee Reviews

great company in the past
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  New York StateAugust 24, 2016
The company overall is a great company before it was bought out by the competitor. Hours are long but time off available was very good. discounts and 401k were excellent. and insurance hands down was excellent
Great place to work!
SALES (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJuly 10, 2016
I loved working here, it was fast paced but a lot of fun. The compensation is wonderful. The manager I had at the time was awesome and so were my co-workers.
Pros
great pay, great management, great employees
Cons
Holiday hours are brutal :)
It was a great place to work.
Inventory Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 6, 2016
It was a great place to work. They made me feel like I was apart of a family. When I first started working there I felt like it was a us verses them mentality between in bound and outbound in MRPC. After the managers got that situation straight. It felt like one big happy family.
Pros
Health Benefits, Great managment team
Cons
That they are moving to Ohio
A world of lies and unprofessionalism
JC (Former Employee) –  CTSeptember 23, 2016
Management, both DM and SM are a complete disaster. They block every employee from any opportunity of advancement. If you happen to ask for a transfer they wait to the end and block your transfer until you have no other choice but to resign and then you are non rehirable. Every little thing both make it big creating problems among employees. Your not their friend, or their pet you get nowhere. That plus the changes in the commission structure made me start looking for another job. This new commission is made to give more profit to the company by paying us less, I'm making an average of $75 less on my net pay every two weeks than I was before when I started. Between gossip, arguments, bad management and less money it makes this job not worth the sacrifice
Pros
good discounts
Cons
not opportunity of advancement, bad management, unprofessionalism
Sales Assistant
Sales Associate (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Bristol, VAJune 9, 2016
Loved this job, however benefits/salary were not so good.
Zale's corporation is a Great Company and for the most part treated its Employees well, except the store manager from time to time were not so pleasant to work with
Pros
It was fun to sell and it was part-time
Cons
Dealing with angry customers
now stressful place.
Jewelry Consultant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 10, 2016
It is used to be a fun place. And very friendly. Now it is stressful about quotas, Worked there for more than 10 years. Still grateful for the opportunity they gave me but is time to move on.
Pros
benefits, health insurance, 401k
Cons
numbers, numbers, nembers.
workplace
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kenner, LA 70065May 28, 2016
harsh workplace due to the personality of employees, not team-oriented because everyone is "for themselves and their benefits" the manager was very rude
Pros
great to build communication skills
Cons
commission is only 1 %
Jewelry Sales
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 20, 2016
The job is not a hard sales job. Very easy. The hard part is the work life balance. As a store manager it is your job to cover any shifts due to absences. This includes days off.
Pros
Commission on top of salary and a very good bonus monthly
Cons
6-7 day work week
Good 5 years ago...awful now with signet!
Jewelry Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington StateJuly 29, 2016
The commission structure before it changed with signet, was obtainable. Now they have taken commission from our paychecks and now want us to split sales...making it even less. No pay to compensate for it either... no advancement for growth within the company, have been told before that there would be. It's all a number game to home office, when they can't even really look at the drive in each store and see some stores are not bringing in the foot traffic. Store JC complaints should be taken more seriously. Bad managers cause good employees to flee.. unfortunately you have lost some that have gone on to do amazing things...and you will still continue to loose good employees. Great part of the job is what you do!! Sell diamonds and get a great relationship with your forever guest...
Pros
Diamonds, guest interaction
Cons
Everything else
very active job
SALES ASSOCIATE & ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 19, 2016
you have to make sure you are on your toes. make sure you make your numbers/sales. flexible hours and great benefits. awesome job to start.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 28, 2016
Meet great people, lots of perks, exceptional training program, long hours, but well worth it! Customer service, management training, daily goals lots of customer interaction. Be positive, work hard and you will go far.
Pros
Perks
Constant Customer Service workplace with always changing management
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 24, 2016
A Typical day at work was helping out any Customer with sales issues or any other problem that arose.
I learned that to succeed, you need to stay upbeat and continue working as best as you can through adversity.
Management, at times, was good and I didn't have any issues other than the constant CHANGE of Managers I would have in the store I worked in.
My co-workers were VERY receptive to thoughts and ideas put to them, just for the fact I was almost always there for hiring and training.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with sales quotas, which were set on a five year basis from previous years. Which, in turn, made it extremely hard to keep up as clientele would leave due to the Management change and employee turnovers.
The most enjoyable part was helping my customers find something they loved and could cherish for years to come and know that they bought something I personally could guarantee was worth the price.
Pros
Minimum work hours were high, overtime available, Holiday pay
Cons
High Insurance costs, management changes, apathy of company towards store
Average Sales Position
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 10, 2016
A typical day starts with setting out merchandise, getting cash registers and tills ready, and making sure store is clean and presentable.The majority of the responsibility lies in customer service. Customers come in to purchase or repair jewelry or to have their jewelry cleaned or inspected. Management was always fair and treated employees well, the environment is professional and comfortable, overall the job is an average retail position. The hardest part of the job was to ensure sales were coming in during slower seasons. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people.
If you don't like favoritism, just don't apply!
Repair Sales (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 10, 2015
All about favoritism at Zale Corporation! Everyday, there's changes being made. No kind of stability either! Management is just terrible too! They are all sneaky and big snakes. They will be friends to your face, but behind your back, it's a whole different story! The only way you will make it there, is by keeping to yourself, don't make any friends and don't trust anyone. Just do your job, be ready for the non-stop inbound calls and do not pull your cell phone out either.
Pros
Decent cafe food, benefits are average, and depending on the department, you get Sundays off
Cons
Management! No stability, hardly growth potential, difficult job/work life balance, and major favoritism
Not an easy place to go into every day.
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IADecember 4, 2016
Because of much needed sales and commission and needed credit application, this place is highly depressive and stressful. The manager claims to know how to do things, but doesn't and was claiming other peoples' sales and customers. It made for a very hard place to work. People didn't trust each other. The manager would pick fights with us in front of the other employees and the customers. There was very high turnover and that hasn't changed. I really liked my co-workers. We worked hard not to let the manager pull us apart. We still succeeded in keeping our friendships and our humor. Unfortunately we couldn't stop the unfairness
Pros
we made very close friends and it helped us to work together.
Cons
Dreading going in everyday expecting more stress
Find good management
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 23, 2016
Overall Zales is a great company to work for, just make sure that as you are looking for jobs that the manager at the store is someone that you can work with. Your manager has an essential role in making the culture great or terrible.

A typical day at work includes clocking in, presenting/selling jewelry, re-stocking, daily counts, preparing deposits, vacuuming, cleaning glasses, etc (upon managers request).

The most enjoyable part about the job is helping someone find a ring of their dreams and seeing the per "glow" as they leave the store.
Pros
Job Security, Holiday Time hours and Pay
Cons
Poor Management
Zales 5 stars
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KsApril 11, 2016
Zales is a good company to work for they are fair to the employes.
They offer Job advancement. I have worked for this company for over 9 years.
A Typical day at work would be clienteling and selling to guests that come visit the store.
What I learned was several things we changed to different soft ware over the years from the cats systems to the x store system.
I was over all fortunate to have the management team I had with in my tender.
The hardest part of the job is selling in a location (mall) which is lacking in foot traffic.
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping guests with the most important event in their lives and seeing their faces when they find that perfect ring.
Pros
discounts
Cons
goals if not attainable
Quality Assurance Technician (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 29, 2016
Great company to work for,sad they are moving to Ohio. Signet brought out Zales they are moving the warehouse part of business to Ohio, if not I would stay till retirement.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No place to make a living
JEWELRY CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSDecember 30, 2015
You start off with a basic hourly of 8 to 9 dollars a hour with a wopping 1% percent commission. You would think that a billion dollar industry would not still be using dial up netscape internet for their employees. Right. Dial up internet people. You will never advance at this company or even make a decent paycheck unless its around the holiday season. Stay clear and look for better opportunities.
Pros
Cons
Not enough compensation whatsoever
Horrible management and place to work
Jewelry Consultant/Temporary Acting Store Manager (Former Employee) –  IowaOctober 15, 2016
I initially was hired as a Jewelry Consultant (JC). The Store Manager (SM) that hired me was ok, but talked about the other JC's. After 2.5 months I interviewed for SM for another store in the same city with the District Nanager (DM). I got the job but was a Temporary Acting Store Manager (TASM). After about 2 weeks of TASM, all managers (to include the TASM's - there was one other besides myself) were required to work no less than 48 hrs (only being paid for 40) a week. This quickly turned into over 60 hours a week Ruth open-close shifts 5 to 6 days a week.

We were told that we (TASM & JC) needed to get credit apps. If we didn't get any for a day, then we had to call the DM and explain to him why and what we were going to change. Then we had to email at 3:30 & 8:30 with our status of sales and credit apps along with another phone call at 4:00 because if the lack of credit apps the day before. If we had a credit app, then we just needed to do the two emails. If we didn't, we were called and reprimanded.

This type of management is the worst kind of management. Never before have I been that micromanaged in any job.

The DM cared nothing about our store and as of date (10-15-2016), 4 people out of 6 have put in their resignation.
Pros
Affordable discounts
Cons
Lack of support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Zale Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.