Zale Corporation Employee Reviews

Jewelry Sales
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 20, 2016
The job is not a hard sales job. Very easy. The hard part is the work life balance. As a store manager it is your job to cover any shifts due to absences. This includes days off.
Pros
Commission on top of salary and a very good bonus monthly
Cons
6-7 day work week
If you don't like favoritism, just don't apply!
Repair Sales (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 10, 2015
All about favoritism at Zale Corporation! Everyday, there's changes being made. No kind of stability either! Management is just terrible too! They are all sneaky and big snakes. They will be friends to your face, but behind your back, it's a whole different story! The only way you will make it there, is by keeping to yourself, don't make any friends and don't trust anyone. Just do your job, be ready for the non-stop inbound calls and do not pull your cell phone out either.
Pros
Decent cafe food, benefits are average, and depending on the department, you get Sundays off
Cons
Management! No stability, hardly growth potential, difficult job/work life balance, and major favoritism
Find good management
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 23, 2016
Overall Zales is a great company to work for, just make sure that as you are looking for jobs that the manager at the store is someone that you can work with. Your manager has an essential role in making the culture great or terrible.

A typical day at work includes clocking in, presenting/selling jewelry, re-stocking, daily counts, preparing deposits, vacuuming, cleaning glasses, etc (upon managers request).

The most enjoyable part about the job is helping someone find a ring of their dreams and seeing the per "glow" as they leave the store.
Pros
Job Security, Holiday Time hours and Pay
Cons
Poor Management
No place to make a living
JEWELRY CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSDecember 30, 2015
You start off with a basic hourly of 8 to 9 dollars a hour with a wopping 1% percent commission. You would think that a billion dollar industry would not still be using dial up netscape internet for their employees. Right. Dial up internet people. You will never advance at this company or even make a decent paycheck unless its around the holiday season. Stay clear and look for better opportunities.
Pros
Cons
Not enough compensation whatsoever
Quality Assurance Technician (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 29, 2016
Great company to work for,sad they are moving to Ohio. Signet brought out Zales they are moving the warehouse part of business to Ohio, if not I would stay till retirement.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
A world of lies and unprofessionalism
JC (Former Employee) –  CTSeptember 23, 2016
Management, both DM and SM are a complete disaster. They block every employee from any opportunity of advancement. If you happen to ask for a transfer they wait to the end and block your transfer until you have no other choice but to resign and then you are non rehirable. Every little thing both make it big creating problems among employees. Your not their friend, or their pet you get nowhere. That plus the changes in the commission structure made me start looking for another job. This new commission is made to give more profit to the company by paying us less, I'm making an average of $75 less on my net pay every two weeks than I was before when I started. Between gossip, arguments, bad management and less money it makes this job not worth the sacrifice
Pros
good discounts
Cons
not opportunity of advancement, bad management, unprofessionalism
Good 5 years ago...awful now with signet!
Jewelry Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington StateJuly 29, 2016
The commission structure before it changed with signet, was obtainable. Now they have taken commission from our paychecks and now want us to split sales...making it even less. No pay to compensate for it either... no advancement for growth within the company, have been told before that there would be. It's all a number game to home office, when they can't even really look at the drive in each store and see some stores are not bringing in the foot traffic. Store JC complaints should be taken more seriously. Bad managers cause good employees to flee.. unfortunately you have lost some that have gone on to do amazing things...and you will still continue to loose good employees. Great part of the job is what you do!! Sell diamonds and get a great relationship with your forever guest...
Pros
Diamonds, guest interaction
Cons
Everything else
Fast Paced and Fun
Retail Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 30, 2016
This is a great company. I learned many skills that helped me achieve success during my employment. A typical day at the job would include so many different responsibilities. Key responsibilities are setting and achieving goals, identifying and exceeding the needs and expectations of our guests, maintaining relationships with the guests and staff, communication and team building, training in with other locations, emailing, marketing, and much more. It is a fast paced environment that keeps you motivated and interested. The hardest part of the job for me was leaving. I was so invested in the success of the store and each member that sometime it was difficult to go home. It's the type of place that celebrated the wins and helped you grow and that's what made it a joy to be there. I became a part of so many different people's lives and special moments and that is what made it so easy to go to work everyday.
Worst job I've ever had
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  North Wales, PAMarch 28, 2016
Not only did I leave this job injured but also mentally stressed out! I began working there for only 1 WEEK and their security gates fell on my head and gave me a concussion and many hospital visits. They never fixed their gates and almost injured me again! The management is scatter-brained and never know what sales or going on or how to manage employees! Some employees would not work all day and be on the phones with personal calls and also would harass coworkers (including myself) but also customers and never got punished! The job became so stressful that I quit due to being threatened by coworker and the management and HR telling me to suck it up when I felt like I was going to be murdered if I worked another day there. Not worth the time or stress!
Cons
Management doesn't care about you or your health
Fun, energetic, competitive environment
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 29, 2016
A typical day at works consists of creating a connection with customers to break down barriers. You want to find out why they are there and find them a product they will like to give as a gift or themselves. I learned a lot about the administrative part of the store and about jewelry. Management works closely with employees to find ways to make them become better sales people. Co-workers are a little hostile as people work on commission, and you want to also meet your hourly sales. The hardest part of the job is finding the right diamond and attempting to let the customer see the value in what they are asking for. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you can talk with many people and create a life long customer.
Great place to meet and make an impact on people
Jewelry Consultant (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCAugust 20, 2015
Been with the company for a long time, recent changes have made it more about the product and less about the people who work there. Took money out of my pocket by changing pay structure. Trying to make us like the competitors, why not just change our name to theirs. Company used to be about praising and make the workers feel compensated and not its just wrong. Company doesn't stick by it's policy so in the aspect the customer is ALWAYS right even when they are wrong. Great health benefits and a great place to meet new people and the love stories are what keep me going. I believe in our product and what we stand for even if I get hurt in the process.
Average Sales Position
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 10, 2016
A typical day starts with setting out merchandise, getting cash registers and tills ready, and making sure store is clean and presentable.The majority of the responsibility lies in customer service. Customers come in to purchase or repair jewelry or to have their jewelry cleaned or inspected. Management was always fair and treated employees well, the environment is professional and comfortable, overall the job is an average retail position. The hardest part of the job was to ensure sales were coming in during slower seasons. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people.
pleasent work enviroment, challenging
Key Holder/Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJuly 24, 2016
I enjoy working at Piercing Pagoda which is part of the Zale Corp. Job duties are defined and work enviroment is very pleasent. All associate including the ones at other store are very helful and willing to help to make sure you succed in your work.
The store I am working at is a high volume store and chanllenging, which I enjoy alot. Since I like to stay busy. This job allows me to interact with a diverse range of clients in various age group, nationality.
Pros
Diversity of group of people I come in contact with
Cons
Not knowing how many hours a week to expect to work.
was great until it became under new management
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYSeptember 1, 2016
When I first started I loved my job, people I worked with, my manager, and district manager. After we were bought out it all went down hill. I was trained to take over the manager position if my boss ever left the company. When she did I applied for it because Zales big thing is PROMOTE FROM WITH IN. Well that is the biggest lie this company will ever tell you! I will never work for this company again!!!!
Pros
great work environment for the most part
Cons
horrible when it comes to how corporate treats its employees
Unlimited earning potential
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 10, 2016
This job can and will reward you for your hard work. It does require a lot of patience but the payback is becoming that local/family jeweler for your clients every need. The hardest part of it all is achieving your 5 standards. Sometimes getting credit comes easily and other days are a complete struggle. "How high is high?" is a mindset that allows them to easily forget your yesterdays achievements and constantly puts pressure on you to give more and more everyday. Becomes tiring. The interactions with coworkers and customers make it all worth it. You become a family and it can be a great place to work.
Excellent corporation.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  PRDecember 1, 2015
Great experience as an employee. Great co-workers. Excelent store manager. Best dimonds in the world. Fine jwelery brands and excelent employee benefits.
Pros
Merchandise return policy. 60 days. Free shipping.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  AZJune 30, 2015
Long hours, sometimes no breaks, open to close shifts are the norm not due to emergency situations and sometimes would work more than 5 days without a day off. Found out when you leave the company all the vacation hours you have accrued will NOT be paid out to you. Also, worked a holiday and was not given the day off nor was I paid for it. I was a full-time manager and it was listed as one of my paid holidays. Numerous issues to list but the main take away is this is not a company I wish I had decided to work for.
Pros
Strong team members, love the product & customers
Cons
Long hours, not appreciated, does NOT adhere to State Laws regarding compensation.
Very dull environment with little traffic volume
Jewelry Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cabazon, CAJuly 13, 2016
as a part timer i have been essentially discriminated. Also because of my age its is assumed by the manager my competencies are low. It is a belittling environment, with no room for growth and no trust. As a part timer i am given 5 hour closing shifts in which 1-2 customers come in for the night, it is very slow and dull, with not much responsibility. The manager feels the need to check cameras every so often to check if we are doing our jobs but it is unfair since we rarely get customers.
Zales 5 stars
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KsApril 11, 2016
Zales is a good company to work for they are fair to the employes.
They offer Job advancement. I have worked for this company for over 9 years.
A Typical day at work would be clienteling and selling to guests that come visit the store.
What I learned was several things we changed to different soft ware over the years from the cats systems to the x store system.
I was over all fortunate to have the management team I had with in my tender.
The hardest part of the job is selling in a location (mall) which is lacking in foot traffic.
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping guests with the most important event in their lives and seeing their faces when they find that perfect ring.
Pros
discounts
Cons
goals if not attainable
Working in a jewelry store environment
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  National City, CAMay 16, 2016
In a high competitive industry like Zales, many of my co-workers strived to satisfy customers. The main purpose of this job is to demonstrate the great services and products we provide. We accommodate with various types of credits scores giving up the ability to help customers afford that beautiful diamond ring. The best part of the job were the co-workers i had, we were all from different ethnic backgrounds and were able to help each other out in this pool of diversity.
Pros
Lunch breaks, great staff
Cons
Hours were minimize due to season