Zappos Family of Companies Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Customer Loyalty Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 9, 2017
I really enjoyed my job at Zappos. It was fun and made a lot of great friends. If I hadn't gotten sick, I would be there to this day. It is a place where everyone can be themselves and not feel like they have to conform. Dress is casual, heck even wear your pj's to work, so that you are comfortable while you work. Activities for everyone to participate in, etc.
Pros
Friendly people, free lunches, set your own schedule.
Cons
Not what it may seem to be on the surface...
Customer Relations (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 6, 2017
Zappos has a way of luring one through a certain culture but then using that to condition one into an almost slave/machine-like mindset. Great experience overall but not what I was looking for.
Pros
Somewhat Open Office
Cons
Every second of your day is calculated and accounted for.
Great Atmosphere
CUSTOMER LOYALTY REPRESENATIVE (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 12, 2017
Wonderful Core Values / Great Culture / Continuous training for advancement / Great Office / Benefits / Casual Atmosphere / Family Core / Great discount program
Pros
Rate/Benefits/Discount/Amenities
You can be yourself, great benefits, not much room for advancement
Customer Loyalty Team Member (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 11, 2017
You are free to be yourself. No dress code, no tattoo/piercing policies. Clean-respectful environment. However, very little room for advancement within company for other non-customer roles (merchandising, payroll, etc).
Pros
Free to be who you are, great benefits
Cons
No management, lack of movement w/in company
A dysfunctional and regressive company culture with no leadership
Marketing executive (Former Employee) –  Las VegasJune 6, 2017
I worked for Zappos, and entered the job with high expectations. These expectations are set by the company itself; they are quite proud of themselves and their company culture.

Unfortunately, what I found was a dysfunctional, regressive culture delusional in its self-perception. Compensation was mediocre and Zappos concept of "Holacracy" (not a word, by the way) is delusional. I've never felt more stifled or micro-managed than I was while working there. Holacracy is deceptive, but the higher ups at Zappos are aware of this, holding "internal" and "external" titles. Following a meltdown in 2016, and a loss of most of their talent, Zappos became the equivalent of an unmedicated schizophrenic.

Add to this that Zappos so-called egalitarian culture is like something out of a Kurt Vonnegut story wherein the truly talented and gifted are weighed down to prevent distinction, enabling the less talented and intelligent members to run the company.

Holacracy? Try Idiocracy. If given the choice, do NOT accept a job from Zappos.

I accepted another job (a lateral move), and have gone on to be very successful, despite my experience at Zappos.
Pros
Free food and soda
Cons
Dysfunctional culture and sub-par leadership
productive
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 2, 2017
we did our work and mind our business
it was decent we was paid on time and the only thing is it was hot
everyone got along well and was able to work together
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 2, 2017
Had a great work/life balance. Great Benefits. Play hard/ work hard mentality. Had team buildings often which built a lot of team spirit. Loved the teams I was able to work with.
Holacracy is a hit or miss
Employee (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 30, 2017
I absolutely love and respect this company, its innovation, and its values. In many ways it's shaped me into who I am today and given me many opportunities. The culture is vibrant, and colorful. The benefits are amazing. When I first learned about holacracy upon starting with the company two years ago, I was excited. The idea of self-management and managing the work instead of the people was brilliant. It has worked out for the most part until recently. I lost my position due to not meeting a very vague accountability under holacracy that others were not held accountable for in the same way. It is a really neat concept on paper, but the application across such a large company varies from circle to circle. Long story short, if used correctly can be beneficial, however I do think it's very possible for individuals to manipulate the system.
Pros
Free food, low cost meals, cafe with barista and inexpensive drinks
Very fun and cultural place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVMay 22, 2017
Zappos day are always fun and busy. There's always an upbeat feeling with great energy. They really value their employees and self expression. They are very uplifting and encourage self growth and expressing your own individuality without judgement.
Fun job but stressful
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 20, 2017
Fun job but very stressful. Not enough employees to handle the call volume. Benefits are the best part of the job if you make it past the 2 months of training. There are people who are in a position of power that shouldn't be but a lot of companies are like that. Overall if you want something to keep you busy apply when they have openings.
This was the most beautiful opportunity I've ever received to join a second family
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 9, 2017
Zappos is a company like no other. While encouraging you to bring your complete self to work this company enstills 10 core values that I believe all companies should encorporate into their policies. This was the only company I can say I was happy to wake up for and sad to depart from.
Fun work place
Special Projects Photographer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 8, 2017
I enjoyed all my time here. I started in the imaging department in Kentucky, and a few years later, I was moved to the creative team in Las Vegas shooting in studio and on location shoots.
Wow
Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 2, 2017
great place to work, i love working here, lots of great people and great culture its a place where family is created and family stays forever. love it love it
Pros
free lunch
great place to work for
Oracle Architect (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 18, 2017
These guys are young at heart. They are also hard working. The company does take care of its employees. They have regular activities outside of work.
Fune place to work with Favoritism
customer loyalty team (Former Employee) –  Las VegasMarch 20, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was the PEC time used to send out something special for a customer you connected with whether it was a little llama plush or a new computer if the situation called for it.
Pros
free lunches and sodas
Cons
favoritism
Productive and fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 20, 2017
Zappos was a very unique and fun place to work at. Typical day was spent by WoWing the Zappos customers. I learned a lot on how t o go the extra mile with customers and making a personal connection. The culture at Zappos is out of this world. There is never a dull day. The only problem with Zappos was the management. They moved away from actually having managers. But, there was still people who were used to the cooperate structure and did not follow the rules of Holocracy.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No structure
Awesome
Intern (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 6, 2017
Zappos is where its at. Theres culture life and team work. Everyone is pleasant and nice; hard workers and out going individuals. Every day is work but also friendly involvements with coworkers. Their motto is a fun job environment creates good workers and good workers create a good business.
Pros
Cons
Nothing haha
Super fun, laid back customer service job.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 23, 2017
A typical day consists of being on the phone talking with your customers. Seeing how their day went, becoming their friend and also taking care of their needs. The zappos office is fun, decorated quirky, however it can become repetitive. This is a great place to work if you ENJOY customer service. You have to love doing it or it will get tiring if that isn't for you. Management is personable, the culture is nice, and overall it's just a great place to work for at least one time in your life!
Pros
Free lunches, Downtown Las Vegas, Free parking downtown, Cool people
Cons
Very Customer Service Base, You HAVE to befriend every single customer you talk to
It really is like reading Tony's book.
Live Chat and Email Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 16, 2017
No day is exactly the same. If you enjoy fast pace company with a culture and corporate family that is second to none, this place is for you. Depending on the department, your schedule is quite flexible, which includes Work from Home days. If you don't enjoy constant change and prefer predictability, this will not be for you.
Pros
Great fringe and traditional benefits. Free food/healthy snacks, gym, on-site services like dry cleaning.
Cons
If you don't like change, you'll hate it.
fun work place
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Shepherdsville, KYJanuary 9, 2017
i made sure all packages had the right orders and were designated to the right addresses to be shipped on time. my co workers were energetic individuals who worked hard in making sure customers were satisfied

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Zappos Family of Companies. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3