Zappos Family of Companies

Zappos Family of Companies Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible company to work for unless you work in call center
Brand Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 21, 2016
Call center and distribution center employees love the company because they pay everyone the same whether you work 80 hours a week in marketing on salary or work 40 hours a week in the call center hourly. So half the company is picking up the slack for everyone else enjoying the free booze at the office. And work life balance is non-existent because they only want you to work then your social life is work happy hours.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
work life balance, management, politics, compensation, culture
A company culture that is very unique, fun and weird
Events Manager (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVDecember 7, 2015
Zappos Insights is a team made of unique individuals that have a personality of their own. It's a team focused primarily on company culture training and welcome all companies that want to learn and embrace a new way of growing their company culture.
This team was amazing to work with because we embraced everyone's individuality. We worked hard to keep our culture alive and strived for only the best outcome possible. We built experiences with our clients and our colleagues that lasts for a lifetime
Pros
strong company culture
Cons
difficult o pull away from your desk
Awesome
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 29, 2015
Zappos has the greatest CEO ever. Tony, I miss you! You are a rare human being. My job her was as a customer service representative. The only CSR job I've ever had that allowed us to do whatever it takes to make the customer happy. The core values of this company are on point! Employees are treated as good as the customers. Pay was excellent and benefits were awesome too. Fun place to work with a CEO who cares about the people who work for him as well as who buy from him. No wonder he has so many awards and such amazing success!
Pros
free vending machines, free lunch, free health benefits, fun work place
Cons
The only Con...Attendance policy does not allow family emergencies, too strict.
Great people make a great company
Retail Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 14, 2016
I worked at zappos for over 9 years and enjoyed the experiences and work I did there! The management is like most companies, but the people that work side by side with you make it what it is today; a fun, challenging, entertaining place to work.
Pros
free food, great working environment, happy hours, culture, fun people
Cons
some of the management were difficult to work with on day to day projects
Loooooveee looovvveee loooovvveee
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 22, 2015
I was just a seasonal employee but I learned so much about business in general from working at Zappos. I honestly felt European how much they cared about my well-being... They just talked about free food, fun and benefits. The best part is that they care 100% about the customer experience versus their numbers! Its risky but it pays off for them!
Pros
free food, coffee, etc, great pay, great benefits
Cons
not being offered a permanent position
Exciting and fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVJune 13, 2016
Daily huddles to build morale before . Great benefits and awesome culture. Zappos recognize their employees as their internal customer and treat the employees with respect. A wonderful organization to work for.
Pros
benefits and culture
Cons
Call center environment, natural turn over
Great Place to work if you have a good work ethic
Non Inventory Receiver-Procurement (Current Employee) –  Shepherdsville, KYJune 21, 2016
Competitive workplace, with decent chance for advancement. They do require a decent work ethic and consistency of attendance
Pros
nice atmosphere, great benefits
Cons
emphasis on metrics and numbers
Great experience!
Engagement Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 29, 2015
Zappos is a wonderful company! It provided me with a lot of great growing opportunities, both with progression and personal development. It has competitive benefits, and an evolving business model. It is best suited for motivated individuals and those who can work in an entrepreneurial environment.
Pros
Benefits, culture
fun.
marketing (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 28, 2015
In a state of change for the past 4 years, overall okay place to work if you live in Las Vegas. Lots of needless perks..free food, parties. Would be better if they valued employee talent. Employee ambition is killed after a while, upper management is living in 2007.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Draining
It was a Fun place to work
Call Center Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 18, 2016
I loved working there although it was seasonal i wish i could've had stayed i really enjoyed my job. zappos is like a huge family you feel more at home than at work . yes its a fun environment but the work is to taken serious zappos value their customers to the highest potential
Pros
great workplace
Cons
season position
Zappos is not a technology company
Technical Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Las VegasSeptember 21, 2015
Zappos is call center and online retailer with a tech team that is contracting. It feels like a tech start-up, but it's not.

It used to be that Zappos valued it's tech teams and pursued industry leading technologies and practices.

Now, they seem happy to contract out the tech teams needed to support the business.

The CEO has vision and is an innovator. However, he does this at the company-level and in-part to elevate his own public persona. His goal is to revolutionize the work-place, I believe.

Holocracy is the manifestation of this goal. And it does not work for a technology organization.
Customer Loyalty Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 13, 2015
My typical day varied. I had various projects to work on as assigned by my day team. There were several fun culture activities on a daily basis. I assisted customers via phone, live chat and email depending on volume and need. I was lucky to make have made several long lasting friendships with my coworkers. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work on projects and helping customers. I had Resource Desk knowledge so was able to assist coworkers and customers with any issues.
Pros
Culture, Benefits
Very Solid Company
Travel Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas NVOctober 18, 2015
My experience at Zappos was phenomenal. I was there only a short time in a management role but during that time I met wonderful people, learned effective management techniques that I still put into practice and learned a lot about what I wanted and did not want in my employer. That was an experience I will never forget.
Pros
Great people, creative, forward thinking environment.
Cons
Work load could be pretty overwhelming at times.
Former Employee
Customer Loyalty Representative /Fraud (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVMarch 14, 2013
I was talking to a new hire at my current job whom I was training, and she happened to be a former Zappos.com employee as well. Her and I came to the conclusion that if you don't drink the Kool Aid you are pretty much screwed. I was there for almost 5 years, and left on my own because my husband received a transfer out of state for a while. I always on time, got great QA's, never absent, and I was still denied promotions or transfers because I refused to drink, I refused to go to team building outside of work. I have a life and a family so I don't always have time for that. Zappos put the "cult" in culture. Do not believe everything you read or see on TV about the place. There is a lot of back stabbing, favoritism, and sleeping around with management. Otherwise, the customers were awesome, and I loved to look at shoes, etc. But, until Tony Hsieh gets a grip and realizes that not everyone's lives revolves around Zappos, there will be no improvement. I do think that Amazon will be it's downfall eventually.
Pros
free lunch, benefits
Cons
backstabbing management.
Great work environment
Returns Processor, Problem Solver (Former Employee) –  Shepherdsville, KYAugust 26, 2015
Management was always there when you needed them. Work was steady and made fun with incentives to meet your quota. Benefits were above and beyond that of industry standards.
Very interactive, team environment. Family feeling.
Customer Loyalty Team (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVJanuary 25, 2013
A basic work day would be logging in on time to perform live chat. I would assist customers with various issues from billing to shipping to damaged items and more.

I was able to take various classes to learn things such as improving grammar, Zappos history, building company culture and more.

The management was great and all of them were easy to approach with concerns, questions and just regular conversation.

The hardest part of this job would be handling 2-3 chats at a time, but the best parts of the job were seeing my coworkers and having team building. We had potlucks all the time!
Pros
work from home half the week, free lunches, great pay and health benefits, the quality expected and the environment of working in a call center was very different and fun.
Cons
there's not really any cons about working at zappos. it is always great.
Zappos Experience
Customer Loyalty Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 11, 2016
I LOVE zappos! Its the best company I ever worked for! I heard it was hard to get in and I hardly new what I was getting into. I was in a team of great people and a bad as heck best in the world lead link Soco! I wish I would have been able to stay but I have relocated back to CA
Pros
Free lunches and drinks, best customers ever! constant availability to grow and pursue your passion
Cons
A lot of clicks
Awesome place to work
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 23, 2016
Everything is awesome at Zappos. I really enjoy that there is lots of support. It is a wonderful company to work for. The company offers many different perks. Cheap gourmet coffee. Free lunches.
Pros
Free Lunches
Outstanding
Chat Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 28, 2015
This is what every employer should strive to be like! You will be valued, loved, appreciated, and treated like a human being while providing others with outstanding service. Bravo!
Pros
People, Culture, Benefits, Free Food, Etc.
Cons
Still a little lost with their new holocracy system, but it's just growing pains.
A Workplace Built on Culture
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Shepherdsville, KYJune 6, 2012
I love working at Zappos; the creativity and fun we have here are unparallelled, at least by any other job I've ever had. There are all sorts of people here: young and old; shy and extremely outgoing; "normal" and a little bit (and, in some cases, VERY) weird. I love that Zappos embraces people of all cultures, styles, and personalities.
The only extremely unfavorable thing about it is the favoritism that goes on here- while one person can be fired for next to nothing, another can basically do as (s)he wants and get away with it, simply because (s)he is good friends with management. I realize that this goes on everywhere, but I venture to say that it goes on at least slightly more here.
The work is generally tedious (as most warehouse jobs are,) but Zappos does its best to make coming into work as pleasant an experience as possible.
Pros
free lunches and vending machines, good healthcare coverage, friendly, openminded environment
Cons
managerial bias, recently taken over by a bigger, less "employee pleasing" company

4.2